Arch on the Way Out

DABEARSDABOMB

Per Len Pasquerelli of ESPN.com

The Bears have become the third team in four years to conclude that safety Adam Archuleta can't cover anyone, and that his best role anymore is as a special teams player. Of course, he makes way too much to play only on kickoff and punt coverage teams, so he could be gone at the end of the season. Another defensive back who might not be around in 2008 is nickel cornerback Ricky Manning, signed as a restricted free agent in 2006, but not getting much playing time in recent weeks.

It isn't quite as good as him actually getting released, but if it is true it is good to see the Bears aren't thinking that this was just a bad season for Arch and that they can still plan on counting on him next year.

Sans the oline and the hiring of a good OC, their isn't a more important need on this squad than the safety position. Bob Sanders is going to be a FA (was watching a piece about him on ESPN today) and the reality is safeties don't tend to get ridiculous money. So my question is this, if the Bears only had enough money to do the following, what would you do, if the Bears could only give big money to 3 guys this offseason (Berrian/Briggs/Safety/Oline/QB). Note, at the QB spot you have the option of just resigning Rex to a smaller term deal which won't get in the way of the other moves. What would you do?

Personally I'd go Berrian (just a ridiculous need at WR), Faneca, Bob Sanders (or if another stud safety is out there, that is fine too). I know Sanders has the injured past but if you have Sanders, keep Brown (have him renegotiate to a smaller cap hit and use him as a 3rd stringer, with Manning playing along side Bob and Brown as the insurance plan/backup starter...hoping that at all times one of those two guys is healthy). If the team also had the funds for Briggs awesome, but I really would like the team get one legit, big time cover 2 safety and I can't think of a better one than Bob Sanders.

You knew Arch is going away once he took a seat for McGowan. Probably will cut him after June 1st to spread the cap hit.

Indy is going to tag either Clark or Sanders. If Sanders is not tagged, I would love to see us go after him.

I think Briggs is gone because he will find someone to give him top LB $$$ and that won't be us.

I like the idea of Berrian, Faneca, and Sanders. Grossman as well if we can get him on a 2 to 3 yr deal.

Draft OT in round 1 and best available of wr/rb/og in round 2.

Peace

man, I didnt know Sanders was gonna be a free agent. I couldnt imagine Indy letting him go but if he does hit the market he should be the biggest target we have.

I thought he had a year left, but they were discussing it on Cold Pizza today and said that the Colts may not give him as much money as he wants due to the past injuries. He's still in his prime and knows the cover 2 like no other. Heck, I wouldn't have a problem going after old man Lynch too (the guy may be old and slow but he knows the cover two and would be 5 times the safety that Arch/Manning/McGowan were.

I would think Indy would protect Clark before Sanders, but to franchise a safety isn't that bad of an idea because safeties don't get paid a ton so the franchise wouldn't even really put them on the bigs for a huge cap hit (while there are a few TE's that make major money).

man, I didnt know Sanders was gonna be a free agent. I couldnt imagine Indy letting him go but if he does hit the market he should be the biggest target we have.

I'd give the man 5 years, $50 million to come play for us. Imagine him and a healthy Mike Brown back there for us, and then our 2 good CB's in Vash and Peanut. *Drooling*

cutting both Brown and Archuletta would save us about 4 million, but a lot in the long run with Manning Jr. as his salary escalates past 4 million in 09 and '10.

Even with all the injuries, I still think it's crazy to let Brown go. He's just so good when he's in there! I can just imagine the Bears cutting him and the Patriots signing him and having him finally go through a season uninjured.

Even with all the injuries, I still think it's crazy to let Brown go. He's just so good when he's in there! I can just imagine the Bears cutting him and the Patriots signing him and having him finally go through a season uninjured.

I don't know I put Brown, I mean Manning Jr.

Colts will be working really hard to resign either Clark or Sanders before they have to make a choice on who to franchise. I can see both waiting out the process for their own benefit. Sanders is key to their D but Clark might be just as important to their offense and in Indianapolis it's all about keeping the weapons for Peyton. In the one game I watched I wasn't that impressed with Wayne in Harrisons absence and it seems Clark was been more of the go to guy for Manning. If it comes down to it they'll ask Peyton which guy he wants to keep and if he says Clark (he will) Sanders might hit the street. YOu know Sanders agent is going to be whispering in his ear about all the cover 2 teams that would love to sign him.

yeh but Brown hasnt finished a season in three years...IMO I think we have seen the best years from Brown. <_>

Colts will be working really hard to resign either Clark or Sanders before they have to make a choice on who to franchise. I can see both waiting out the process for their own benefit. Sanders is key to their D but Clark might be just as important to their offense and in Indianapolis it's all about keeping the weapons for Peyton. In the one game I watched I wasn't that impressed with Wayne in Harrisons absence and it seems Clark was been more of the go to guy for Manning. If it comes down to it they'll ask Peyton which guy he wants to keep and if he says Clark (he will) Sanders might hit the street. YOu know Sanders agent is going to be whispering in his ear about all the cover 2 teams that would love to sign him.

You also have to believe at least some of the rumblings that indicate that Harrison's injury is much more serious than Indy has ever led on and that the franchise does have some long term concerns about his future to remain one of the best receivers in the league. Clark is an awesome receiving TE who can also play a lot of wideout (because of his good speed/hands) and Peyton will do all the lobbying it takes to keep him there.

As far as Sanders goes, I think he's going to ask for too much money and that Colts defense is a lot better this year and I think Dungy will say goodbye and try to bring in a cheaper safety (they can't give Sanders the type of money someone will give him on the open market, imo). He'll likely become the highest paid safety in the game (by all means I'm not implying he's the best safety in the game, but he is one of the best cover 2 safety's in the game).