The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sure I like a good healthy debate from time to time but actually I posted this because I was disappointed with RG3 taking this stance.  Although he has an interesting perspective (having won the Heisman and nearly being chosen #1 overall) I didn’t really think he should’ve come out to suggest Caleb choose this option. 

But to your point, offering a counterpoint from time to time is ok here right? As long as it focuses on Bears football and not personal attacks? 

~signed Goat’s A$$ Antagonist
 😎👍

Haha, definitely ok with me, I misunderstood the RG3 comment.  I am feeling more positive than I have in years, I hope history won’t come along and slap me back to depression.

24 minutes ago, Daventry said:

Haha, definitely ok with me, I misunderstood the RG3 comment.  I am feeling more positive than I have in years, I hope history won’t come along and slap me back to depression.

same here

1 hour ago, adam said:

This feels like the biggest pro day in terms of media interest since Andrew Luck. Even Lawrence didn't get this much attention. 

Reality is - he is much more like Luck, Manning, Lawrence, and to a lesser extent Deshaun Watson. I say that as - these were guys who were primarily viewed as #1 overall selections for well over a year. Caleb has been the presumptive #1 pick since midway through the prior year college football season - just like Trevor, Luck, and Peyton Manning were.  Deshaun was not quite to same level - but everyone was watching him and he was pretty hyped as well (he is the one who fell - which was a mistake - cause everyone hyper analyzes the #1 guy cause they just get that extra scrutiny).

Just like there were teams saying Ryan Leaf would be better than Peyton - even though Peyton was the clear cut #1 for almost 2 full seasons.  Lawrence same - Luck same - Caleb same.  With all that scrutiny and pressure - in some ways - Caleb going to the NFL will be easy all else being equal (other than the fact that there is still scrutiny on him in Chicago and being #1 QB but in some ways less than the pressure he has faced the past 2 years of being micro-analyzed).  

Watson got over-analyzed and fell in the draft - but reality is - he was a really good QB (ignoring his off the field issues and more recently injury issues). And I'm not saying that Lawrence has been as good as anyone expected and someone will pull up his stats that have been mediocre - but that dude has played through a ton of injuries and has elevated his team in 4th quarters and made playoffs, etc.  

On 3/19/2024 at 2:26 PM, Stinger226 said:

I don't know why Penix doesn't get more love. He looks good passing the ball.

In part is his big time injury history, but for me the other challenge with him is that he is mostly a line-of-site passer.   That works great in many situations, and he's got a nice strong arm, but in games I watched he seemed to struggle when he has to drop the ball in over a defender.    

8 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

but in games I watched he seemed to struggle when he has to drop the ball in over a defender

And that last playoff game against Michigan didn’t do him any favors either. He struggled in the bright lights. I like his grit for sure. 

23 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I will give you credit for making some points about Caleb that Chase actually shows breaking down tape instead of just saying it. Maybe you can do that type of stuff to backup your opinions. It's easy to see it and has sold me more on Caleb than all information before this.

I haven't seen anyone refute that Williams has elite pocket awareness.  Everything I've seen on numerous breakdowns is just wow, almost 6th sense of what is going on around him.  I think he also has elite arm talent with some incredible off-platform throws.  However, I also think, as with many elite athletes, that talent gets him into trouble where he gets lax with his mechanics and just reaches around pressure with an off-angle throw.  That leads to him missing relatively easy throws at times. 

It's correctable with some work and he's got the foot quickness to reset.  As Kurt Warner said today each of the top QBs needs work on their game if they are going to be an NFL starter.  Which makes this a really tough decision.  

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

In part is his big time injury history, but for me the other challenge with him is that he is mostly a line-of-site passer.   That works great in many situations, and he's got a nice strong arm, but in games I watched he seemed to struggle when he has to drop the ball in over a defender.    

Penix reminds me of a better version of Josh Dobbs. I think Penix will be more successful than Dobbs has been, but probably not an elite QB.

Anyone up for some conspiracy talk?  Since we're all a twitter about Caleb's Pro Day lets go back a few weeks when Bo Nix held his own at Oregon.  And if you recall Eberflus "with a large contingent from Chicago" were at Nix' demo.  At the time Justin was still on the team...then a few days later he was traded.  And if you take into consideration Flus' awkward interactions yesterday at USC AND add in the thoughts from PHX about how Poles may have been talking to Caleb behind the scenes... 

IMG_6781.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Anyone up for some conspiracy talk?  Since we're all a twitter about Caleb's Pro Day lets go back a few weeks when Bo Nix held his own at Oregon.  And if you recall Eberflus "with a large contingent from Chicago" were at Nix' demo.  At the time Justin was still on the team...then a few days later he was traded.  And if you take into consideration Flus' awkward interactions yesterday at USC AND add in the thoughts from PHX about how Poles may have been talking to Caleb behind the scenes... 

IMG_6781.jpeg

I am seriously going to hold my breath until they actually read the name off of the card at the draft. Starting now.

(deep inhale)

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

IMG_6781.jpeg

I suspect they will be at the LSU and NC pro days as well. Oregon also has a bunch of other players that are draftable by the Bears. 

This is a good place as any for this. Found this YouTube video of Ryan Leaf talking about his Combine experience and how things went for him afterwards.  Definitely a good listen and gives you a good perspective of things, especially from a potential #1/#2 overall pick at the QB position.  And to think this was in 1998.  

Some takeaways I got were Leaf said he was asked by the Bears for an immediate x-ray on his thumb (as he had broken it in High School).  And how upset the Colts organization were at him for 'missing a meeting' when he said he simply forgot about it and didn't do it intentionally.  He did apparently later communicate with Indy that "he was not intersted" in going there.  And 'because he was going 1-2 overall, didn't feel he really needed to do the Combine'. 

11 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This is a good place as any for this. Found this YouTube video of Ryan Leaf talking about his Combine experience and how things went for him afterwards.  Definitely a good listen and gives you a good perspective of things, especially from a potential #1/#2 overall pick at the QB position.  And to think this was in 1998.  

Some takeaways I got were Leaf said he was asked by the Bears for an immediate x-ray on his thumb (as he had broken it in High School).  And how upset the Colts organization were at him for 'missing a meeting' when he said he simply forgot about it and didn't do it intentionally.  He did apparently later communicate with Indy that "he was not intersted" in going there.  And 'because he was going 1-2 overall, didn't feel he really needed to do the Combine'. 

Ryan Leaf feels like the Josh Allen that failed. There are so many different career arcs. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Ryan Leaf feels like the Josh Allen that failed. There are so many different career arcs. 

I've heard him on the Dan Patrick Show. He seems to know his stuff and not bitter about his failure as a QB.

• adam unfeatured this topic