The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

Just like the anything comments thread, if you have something that is not worry of starting a new thread about, and it is related to free agency, the draft, or coaching changes, post it in here. This will be pinned at the top for easy access, twss.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how long does anyone think it will take Poles to fire or announce he's bringing Flus back? I think if he doesn't announce it right away, odds are Flus will be back. Whether he brings back Flus or not, fire Getsy tomorrow. We won't find out about Fields until the draft day, no logic to show his hand before the draft.

28 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

So how long does anyone think it will take Poles to fire or announce he's bringing Flus back? I think if he doesn't announce it right away, odds are Flus will be back. Whether he brings back Flus or not, fire Getsy tomorrow. We won't find out about Fields until the draft day, no logic to show his hand before the draft.

Boom, boom and boom!

Id love to hear it quickly, Ill feel much better about it - but they might want to wait until they have the new guy to let Eberflus go, just to CYA.

So I wouldnt necessarily take silence to mean Flus is back. Especially with prospective coaches in the playoffs and unavailable for negotiations etc

From Poles presser, it sounds like Flus will be back, even though he didn't say.  I really want Getsy gone.  A new name to consider is Arthur Smith.  He got a HC gig based on his work as the Titans OC.  He made Ryan Tannehill and Jonnu Smith stars and led an upset of the Ravens in the playoffs.  Chico for DC.  That would give the bears tremendous experience on both sides of the ball.

20 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

From Poles presser, it sounds like Flus will be back, even though he didn't say.  I really want Getsy gone.  A new name to consider is Arthur Smith.  He got a HC gig based on his work as the Titans OC.  He made Ryan Tannehill and Jonnu Smith stars and led an upset of the Ravens in the playoffs.  Chico for DC.  That would give the bears tremendous experience on both sides of the ball.

I'll  have to check him out, these are the type of coaches that would be willing to take this type of job. 

15 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Id love to hear it quickly, Ill feel much better about it - but they might want to wait until they have the new guy to let Eberflus go, just to CYA.

So I wouldnt necessarily take silence to mean Flus is back. Especially with prospective coaches in the playoffs and unavailable for negotiations etc

The longest I've remembered a team waiting to announce a HC change was a week. Most are announced within 24 to 48 hours. 5 HC positions are already open to be filled. If Flus is still here next Monday, I'm pretty damn sure he will be our HC for the 2024 season.

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The longest I've remembered a team waiting to announce a HC change was a week. Most are announced within 24 to 48 hours. 5 HC positions are already open to be filled. If Flus is still here next Monday, I'm pretty damn sure he will be our HC for the 2024 season.

I think youre probably right.

Of course it often takes more than a week to find the replacement, because good assistant coaches are still with their teams in the playoffs, but if youre saying that firings are announced quickly, then I sure dont have any data that says otherwise.

I just wonder, if they think they would keep Eberflus unless a top notch option appears, including Jim Harbaugh etc, then they might delay firing him until they had that in hand, but I admit Im just making guesses at scenarios, I havent seen any particular evidence or even info about that.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

He's coming back, anyone firing their coach wants to get the best talent and waiting and letting other teams negotiate before you get the chance puts you last on everyone's list.  Anyone they may want, you have to let know there's a job available. Coaches don't want to back stab other coaches in the back so you have to fire them.

I’m wondering if Josh Sunderbruch is actually Jason’s pen name?   

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/1/8/24029901/the-chicago-bears-a-simple-plan-forward-fashanu-wright-jayden-daniels-offensive-line-2024-draft

Green Gay exposed the Bears Offensive Line and Poles knows he must add high draft capital to fix the offense.  

5 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

I’m wondering if Josh Sunderbruch is actually Jason’s pen name?   

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/1/8/24029901/the-chicago-bears-a-simple-plan-forward-fashanu-wright-jayden-daniels-offensive-line-2024-draft

Green Gay exposed the Bears Offensive Line and Poles knows he must add high draft capital to fix the offense.  

That's hilarious!

I agree they need to address the OL but you don't reach for positions. There's. 10 to 15  impact players in this draft. We have several positions to fill, and you need two with our picks. If we only move back 1 or 2 spots we're not getting a Carolina type haul. We got that last year because we moved to 9. A few spots will get a 2 nd this year and maybe next year. Poles may talk someone into a # 1 next year but that's not a given. We may have to move out of the top 10 to get that haul.

There's lots of talk about that and many are saying that so its not an original statement.

I think he sticks with Braxton at LT but brings in a OT to compete and add depth. We will add a OC ,IMO, in free agency and draft one later in the draft. Another OG to compete and add depth. 

After Jaylon Johnson this list is just a bunch of whatever.  There are a few decent backups in the list like Foreman who I wouldn’t mind if they came back for the right price.  I also wouldn’t mind having a better replacement.  That’s about 33% of the roster nobody will miss which is a clear reminder to me how far this team has to go in the rebuild.  

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

After Jaylon Johnson this list is just a bunch of whatever.  There are a few decent backups in the list like Foreman who I wouldn’t mind if they came back for the right price.  I also wouldn’t mind having a better replacement.  That’s about 33% of the roster nobody will miss which is a clear reminder to me how far this team has to go in the rebuild.  

It will this regime 4 years to get the roster where it needs to be. Next year challenge for a playoff game and 2 years for a SB run.

1 hour ago, adam said:

The Bears are definitely getting extra 3rd round comp picks, thanks Ian! I believe that would be an extra 2024 and extra 2025 3rd Round pick. 

perhaps that is our center.

16 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

perhaps that is our center.

That really helps without having a 2nd. If they do trade down with one of the 1st's, then they will be stocked with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

I'm wondering what was actually said to Eberflus about him coming back. I'm convinced he was told that Getsy had to go. This would mean that maybe Poles and Warren may have a say in who the OC maybe. I could see Bienemy being a candidate also. Both he and Reich wouldn't be afraid to come in in this situation.

33 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I'm wondering what was actually said to Eberflus about him coming back. I'm convinced he was told that Getsy had to go. This would mean that maybe Poles and Warren may have a say in who the OC maybe. I could see Bienemy being a candidate also. Both he and Reich wouldn't be afraid to come in in this situation.

This is an intriguing time indeed. A coaching staff that was fully assembled at the beginning of the 2023 season is now missing its two primary contributors, OC and DC and the HC still remains.  

With regards to Bienemy.  Do you think he did enough in Washington to prove his competence as an OC (let along HC) elsewhere?  I know the plan for him was to leave KC to move out from the shadow of Reid and potentially become his own HC candidate. Now with the ouster of Rivera, Bienenmy will have his chance.  From the little reading I did on the matter the Commanders started with a "mess" of an offense pre-Bienimey to ranking #27 overall at the end of this season.  Too me that's not too an awful big leap.  

10 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This is an intriguing time indeed. A coaching staff that was fully assembled at the beginning of the 2023 season is now missing its two primary contributors, OC and DC and the HC still remains.  

With regards to Bienemy.  Do you think he did enough in Washington to prove his competence as an OC (let along HC) elsewhere?  I know the plan for him was to leave KC to move out from the shadow of Reid and potentially become his own HC candidate. Now with the ouster of Rivera, Bienenmy will have his chance.  From the little reading I did on the matter the Commanders started with a "mess" of an offense pre-Bienimey to ranking #27 overall at the end of this season.  Too me that's not too an awful big leap.  

It could also mean they are extending Flus at least thru 2026 to give the incoming OC some predictability, versus coaching for a potential lame duck HC.

• adam unfeatured this topic