The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I am convinced that had we signed Harbaugh, we'd still be taking Williams.

I don't know why you don't see it, but you don't.

The article stated that Harbaugh said McCarthy is the best QB in this draft, yet you say that folks don't understand.  Harbaugh told everyone at the combine that had ears, that JJ was the guy.  It seems to me that you are the one that doesn't get it.  Why do you have to try to dominate every thread?  At the end of everything, being right is not what is important. Wouldn't you rather talk smack with a group of Bears brothers without wearing everyone's ass out?  McCarthy is good enough to be considered at any pick.  It depends on the situation.  We all know, that all information can also be disinformation...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

The article stated that Harbaugh said McCarthy is the best QB in this draft, yet you say that folks don't understand.  Harbaugh told everyone at the combine that had ears, that JJ was the guy.  It seems to me that you are the one that doesn't get it.  Why do you have to try to dominate every thread?  At the end of everything, being right is not what is important. Wouldn't you rather talk smack with a group of Bears brothers without wearing everyone's ass out?  McCarthy is good enough to be considered at any pick.  It depends on the situation.  We all know, that all information can also be disinformation...

The article said he was the best at reading defenses, at "quarterbacking"

But I dont get why youre mad that Im participating in the discussion? Why disagreeing is "Wearing everyone out"

Seems weird to me.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

The article said he was the best at reading defenses, at "quarterbacking"

But I dont get why youre mad that Im participating in the discussion? Why disagreeing is "Wearing everyone out"

Seems weird to me.

Here's the quote:

And now the coach is channeling the praise towards McCarthy's pro potential, saying he's the best quarterback in a strong QB class because McCarthy "plays quarterback the best" of the group.  You misquoted to help your argument.

The reason you are wearing us out, is that you relentlessly have to win your argument.  Especially the times it's over some minute detail that no-one cares about.  Lastly, when someone gets chippy, please don't take it so personally.  I've been towel slapped by many on this illustrious board and only once taken something as a personal attack.  R-E-L-A-X.  We are all bros here...

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Here's the quote:

And now the coach is channeling the praise towards McCarthy's pro potential, saying he's the best quarterback in a strong QB class because McCarthy "plays quarterback the best" of the group.  You misquoted to help your argument.

The reason you are wearing us out, is that you relentlessly have to win your argument.  Especially the times it's over some minute detail that no-one cares about.  Lastly, when someone gets chippy, please don't take it so personally.  I've been towel slapped by many on this illustrious board and only once taken something as a personal attack.  R-E-L-A-X.  We are all bros here...

OK, so Im not un-relaxed. Youre telling me Im pissing you off. Im not saying anything about you.

To me the phrase "plays quarterback the best" means processing and reading defenses. It is a really important skill that Fields doesnt have, but Caleb does. Daniels doesnt have it but McCarthy does. I think McCarthy has a better chance to succeed in the NFL than Daniels for this reason, so I agree.

But I dont take it to mean that McCarthy is the best overall prospect, or that we should pick him over Williams!

As for needing to be right, I'm just arguing my side, or participating in the discussion like everyone else. Every time someone makes an argument or a point, they're trying to say something right I hope.

And I dont think Im some super smart better than everyone person either. Im just right about Williams, and Im right along with pretty much every sportswriter and NFL pundit now too. So its not like I have some secret sauce that makes me better than anyone. Im just seeing that Williams is clearly the best prospect. Because he just is.

But on this board Im reading weak stuff about Williams crying, and McCarthy might be the better QB prospect and lots of other dumb stuff. I think it's still left over Justin emotional stuff. Whatever it is, it's fringe compared to what you read everywhere now. I was early on that bandwagon because I watched the tape rather than read writers, but now the media narrative has solidified, and caught up to where I was.

If that pisses you or anyone off, there's not a lot I can do about it.

FACTS:
Justin is not a good NFL QB
Williams is the best QB prospect in the draft, and the best seen in a while
No one can predict what the future holds for Fields or Williams
Williams is a much better bet than Fields right now

none of that has anything to do with me?

58 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

This is not a fact.  And that has something to do with you pushing your narrative.  Nobody wins peddling opinion as fact.  While I agree that Caleb is probably the guy.  There's no need to present as fact.

CW is the highest rated QB prospect since Peyton Manning would be a fair assessment.  He and Luck are similar minus the flags we are, IMO, making a bigger deal out of than anything but in fairness this is a new age. Luck was more cerebral.  Players like CW more.  CW was better in college. Luck had a crazy dad too.  Certainly, there's a race aspect in play here too on that note. We'll never know how much CTE affected Lucks career until they cut him open but I bet he was done being concussed.

It would be short sighted to assume that there are still living Bears fans that would rather lose that win a black QB.  Additionally, People gravitate towards leaders who look like them(Hence the JF locker room love. ) Also, IMO, the Maye love.  Nothing besides being tall looking the part of "prototypical" qb was demonstrated on the field.  It's highly unlikely anybody will acknowledge this.

The locker room don't realize or want to admit he's a shit qb because he's so well like inside the locker room. Furthermore, he was so well liked because he could relate to most of the team.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

So its not like I have some secret sauce that makes me better than anyone. Im just seeing that Williams is clearly the best prospect. Because he just is.

He is the best prospect, as you say.  There have been other 'best prospects' in the past, some have worked out, some have not. Right now and unequivocally, he's not the best NFL QB ever. Could he be? Sure, but right now he's not. 

But on this board Im reading weak stuff about Williams crying, and McCarthy might be the better QB prospect and lots of other dumb stuff. I think it's still left over Justin emotional stuff.

This is the "stuff" that causes you to get cross-threaded with a few here. Myself especially.  When you excuse my opinion of how I see another prospect not named Williams you right away assume its some sort of left over Justin "stuff" and that it's "dumb".  As I had said a few days ago, each of the top 3-4 QBs all have individual qualities that the others do not, and some have more than all the rest.  Nothing wrong with looking at our potential franchise QB candidates through varying prisms.  

was early on that bandwagon because I watched the tape rather than read writers, but now the media narrative has solidified, and caught up to where I was.

And this is where the divisiveness starts to seep in.  Again, you suggest you were early on the bandwagon and now all the writers are 'catching up to where you are'.  Sure, you are in the majority but you're not the one that discovered Williams nor probably are you the first to cast Williams in the positive light here on this board.  

FACTS:
Justin is not a good NFL QB
No one can predict what the future holds for Fields or Williams
Williams is a much better bet than Fields right now

These are not in fact..."FACTS".  Actually you contradict yourself by saying "No one can predict the what the future holes for Fields or Williams" and then declaring Williams is better than Fields "right now" because again, Williams has yet to play an NFL down. And truthfully, just because Fields struggled with our team doesn't mean he will always struggle.  And until Justin retires, the book on his NFL career isn't finished yet where Williams' is just beginning.  

8 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

What's your opinion?

I think the statement ( same old Bears) is dead. Different people ate running the franchise now. There's no guarantee the results end up different but they are signs its going in a good direction. Poles isn't perfect but he doesn't have to be to get us to a winning team. In the third year , he's put us in the position o be a winner for the next few years. 

41 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles isn't perfect but he doesn't have to be to get us to a winning team. In the third year , he's put us in the position o be a winner for the next few years. 

Wasn't quite sure what you meant by this but assumed you meant Poles doesn't necessarily have to get the Bears to 'winning' by his third year.  I would disagree...a little...in that after the team went 7-10 and 4-3 after Justin returned, the team would certainly have to show some form of improvement and at least start the season .500 or better in the first half.  IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I would disagree...a little...in that after the team went 7-10 and 4-3 after Justin returned, the team would certainly have to show some form of improvement and at least start the season .500 or better in the first half.  IMHO. 

I'm sure the second half of the season will be much better than the first part.  There should be growing pains for the rookie QB.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Wasn't quite sure what you meant by this but assumed you meant Poles doesn't necessarily have to get the Bears to 'winning' by his third year.  I would disagree...a little...in that after the team went 7-10 and 4-3 after Justin returned, the team would certainly have to show some form of improvement and at least start the season .500 or better in the first half.  IMHO. 

Not sure I'm good at being clear but meant he's not perfect but for us to be a winning team , he doesn't have to be. Referring to some of his mistakes. Claypool, V Jones, stuff like that.

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

He is the best prospect, as you say.  There have been other 'best prospects' in the past, some have worked out, some have not. Right now and unequivocally, he's not the best NFL QB ever. Could he be? Sure, but right now he's not.

Fact #3 was "no one can predict what the future holds for Fields or Williams."

So I agree with what youve written here, and I've said it on here many times. That's why I used the word "prospect"

This is the "stuff" that causes you to get cross-threaded with a few here. Myself especially.  When you excuse my opinion of how I see another prospect not named Williams you right away assume its some sort of left over Justin "stuff" and that it's "dumb".  As I had said a few days ago, each of the top 3-4 QBs all have individual qualities that the others do not, and some have more than all the rest.  Nothing wrong with looking at our potential franchise QB candidates through varying prisms."

Of course not. We can talk about any player. For example we will want to know who the Vikings are taking too, because we are gonna face them twice a year. It's the idea that we shouldn't draft Caleb that I think is weak. If you're not saying that, then I surely didn't write that about anything you've said.

And this is where the divisiveness starts to seep in.  Again, you suggest you were early on the bandwagon and now all the writers are 'catching up to where you are'.  Sure, you are in the majority but you're not the one that discovered Williams nor probably are you the first to cast Williams in the positive light here on this board. 

I earned the right to say it after all the crap I took for 6 months about Fields. I was right. He sucks. Everyone was telling me I couldnt possibly know that, and he needed more chances and all this crap. And I just stayed with my opinion. I knew what I saw, and when the smoke cleared, i was right. No one said they were wrong or sorry, so I don't mind pointing it out.

But if you think I am claiming that I discovered Caleb Williams, that is crazy. I don't know what to tell you, but I'm not thinking what you think I am thinking. In fact, I've said many times that I dont think Im so smart or have any secret sauce or anything, but the film just screams Fields sucks and Williams is an excellent prospect. Again, I think anyone could see it if they looked.

If you take that to mean that I think I created the NFL, I dont know what to say. I just watched film. And it wasnt hard to see. This isnt rocket science, so when I was confident in what I saw, I dont know why you or anyone would be so offended by it. But it is what it is.

These are not in fact..."FACTS".  Actually you contradict yourself by saying "No one can predict the what the future holes for Fields or Williams" and then declaring Williams is better than Fields "right now" because again, Williams has yet to play an NFL down. And truthfully, just because Fields struggled with our team doesn't mean he will always struggle.  And until Justin retires, the book on his NFL career isn't finished yet where Williams' is just beginning.  

Ah but they are.

1) Justin Fields is not a good NFL QB.

Look at his trade value. Look at how no one in the league wants him as a starter. The operative word here is "IS" I cannot say how he might grow in the future.

2) Williams is the best QB prospect in the draft, and the best seen in a while.

I dunno how anyone could rebut that. You can see it on tape, and you can read it everywhere. I'm excited about him! We should be doing cartwheels, instead we are whining about narratives like wearing a dress for a GQ photo shoot. They told him to wear it. I'ts GQ. It was a modelling gig. Pretty high level too.

It's like hating an actor because of a character they played. When we should be cheering our butts off about this.

3) No one can predict what the future holds for Fields or WIlliams

You just admonished me for not thinking this, while failing to see that I had written it AND simultaneously declaring it "not a fact" - it is a fact though. And it is what I think too. So again, I have no crystal ball, so when you tell me i think I do, I think you might not be reading what im writing.

4) Williams is a much better bet than Fields right now.

This is also a fact. Willaims is about to be the #1 pick int he draft, and Justin is a backup in Pittsburgh. Williams is ascending, Fields is stagnating at best right now.

OK, so I had the respect to answer your points, but i think it's time for me to say, that while all the helpful advice on how I should think, talk and behave myself is SO greatly appreciated, I think Im done hearing it. I'll continue to think what i think, and if that upsets people, then they will just have to find a way to deal with that.

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

I'm definitely team Poles.  It's been quite some time since I have felt so optimistic and Poles is the reason we are there.

I totally agree. We are doing this the right way.

56 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I'll continue to think what i think, and if that upsets people, then they will just have to find a way to deal with that.

Fair enough.  And when you receive a contradictory response, you can’t take it personal and go out of your way to call it “dumb” or “inane”.  Talking football sometimes is like playing it, you gotta get dirty to do it right. 😎👍

8 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Fair enough.  And when you receive a contradictory response, you can’t take it personal and go out of your way to call it “dumb” or “inane”.  Talking football sometimes is like playing it, you gotta get dirty to do it right. 😎👍

If i think it's dumb, then Ill say so?

I think we are in an amazing place, and I'm very excited about Williams. No one held back telling me I was wrong about Fields, I dont see why i should hold off saying people are wrong about Williams when they are?

It's just football talk.

• adam unfeatured this topic