The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best you can say about Dexter is you watched him get better. His biggest problem was playing to upright. Needs to break that habit. Dexter and rotating Walker inside that covers that position. I would say draft two DEs and build a rotation.

25 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

FWIW Bears top 30 visits by position looks like that:

QB - 1(Caleb)
WR - 6
TE - 3
RB - 1
C - 2
OL - 4
DT - 0 
DE - 4
CB - 3
S - 1
LB - 1

It’s strange to me that they focused a lot on first round WRs and DEs in their visits and really no mid-round guys for those positions. The projected mid-round guys they’ve brought in have been primarily at CB and OT. Maybe they don’t want to telegraph their interesting some mid round guys. 

8 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

It’s strange to me that they focused a lot on first round WRs and DEs in their visits and really no mid-round guys for those positions. The projected mid-round guys they’ve brought in have been primarily at CB and OT. Maybe they don’t want to telegraph their interesting some mid round guys. 

I think that's right, plus these interviews arent just for this year, but they go into the file for free agent and trade scenarios in a few years too.

Anyone else hearing the noise around MHJr wanting to play in Chicago?  Sports journos with Big Ten connections were out yesterday saying as odd as this is the noise around it won't go away.   If he fell to 5 they proposed a trade up with the Chargers giving up one of next years 2nd Rd picks.  It leaves holes on the roster but I'd do that because who is going to cover our WR corps?   Plus we don't have to extend Keenan Allen freeing up money next year to fix the holes.   Mostly I think this is a pre-draft boredom and speculation but every year there are weird twists in the top 10.  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Anyone else hearing the noise around MHJr wanting to play in Chicago?  Sports journos with Big Ten connections were out yesterday saying as odd as this is the noise around it won't go away.   If he fell to 5 they proposed a trade up with the Chargers giving up one of next years 2nd Rd picks.  It leaves holes on the roster but I'd do that because who is going to cover our WR corps?   Plus we don't have to extend Keenan Allen freeing up money next year to fix the holes.   Mostly I think this is a pre-draft boredom and speculation but every year there are weird twists in the top 10.  

I think it would take more than next year's two to do it, but if it took next year's number one, straight up, it would be a good move, like picking him higher than our pick will be and getting him one year early. And it'd be too good of a deal for us, so Id expect wed have to throw in #9 this year too of course, and now next years first is a little rich, so we will take the chargers second this year to even it out.

So we'd get #5 this year and the Charger's second rounder this year, for our #9 and next year's first?

I might do that if I thought MHJr was going to be Randy Moss or his dad.

This is an extremely talented group of receivers who are available in this year's draft. I love MHJ, but Nabers and R.O. are also going to be pro bowl-caliber WRs. We could trade down, pick up B Thomas, and not miss a beat. The guy is awesome. I guess what I am saying is hell no, don't give up draft capital to select one of the top three. Let one of them fall to us, or trade back to mid-first and select Thomas.

4 minutes ago, Pixote said:

This is an extremely talented group of receivers who are available in this year's draft. I love MHJ, but Nabers and R.O. are also going to be pro bowl-caliber WRs. We could trade down, pick up B Thomas, and not miss a beat. The guy is awesome. I guess what I am saying is hell no, don't give up draft capital to select one of the top three. Let one of them fall to us, or trade back to mid-first and select Thomas.

for sure if our scouts are telling Poles that, and that's what he's seeing, then for sure. No reason to trade up.

But *IF* you think he's the next coming, and head and shoulders above the others, if you think you've got Randy Moss here, I think you do it.

Personally, I haven't seen enough film on them to know either way. I know they are all good.

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

for sure if our scouts are telling Poles that, and that's what he's seeing, then for sure. No reason to trade up.

But *IF* you think he's the next coming, and head and shoulders above the others, if you think you've got Randy Moss here, I think you do it.

Personally, I haven't seen enough film on them to know either way. I know they are all good.

I watched film on the top three and I seriously am not sure the order I would select them. They are all fantastic, each with their own strengths. If either one of the three are there at 9, I would be disappointed if we did not stay put and draft him. That said, I'd get over my disappointment if we wound up with Thomas. LOL

52 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I watched film on the top three and I seriously am not sure the order I would select them. They are all fantastic, each with their own strengths. If either one of the three are there at 9, I would be disappointed if we did not stay put and draft him. That said, I'd get over my disappointment if we wound up with Thomas. LOL

Ive heard that Odunze may have off field issues partying too hard issues. Then again, to my own point, Randy Moss fell to like 20 or something because he smoked marijuana. LOL Same with Warren Sapp.

Thomas looks like a good fit for us, I agree.

To me the nightmare scenario is if only three QBs go before us. Then we'd probably be looking at Thomas at #9 instead of a trade down.

Also, given how excellent our draft position is, "nightmare scenario" is pretty funny. Call it worst case outcome. It's still pretty damned good.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Ive heard that Odunze may have off field issues partying too hard issues. Then again, to my own point, Randy Moss fell to like 20 or something because he smoked marijuana. LOL Same with Warren Sapp.

Thomas looks like a good fit for us, I agree.

To me the nightmare scenario is if only three QBs go before us. Then we'd probably be looking at Thomas at #9 instead of a trade down.

Also, given how excellent our draft position is, "nightmare scenario" is pretty funny. Call it worst case outcome. It's still pretty damned good.

I don't think they view getting a #1  WR as a top priority. You have 5 viable throwing options in DJ, Keenan, Kmet, Everett and Swift. Allen could  be a one and done but if needed they could tag him one more year. also Tyler Scott was the 13 th ranked WR coming out last year and had some game in college. He should show improvement. He is only expected to be a third WR. The 10 highest paid WRs  in the league only has one first-round draftee in it.

I think we trade back and ideally get Verse, if not there I have 4  in tier 1 . Verse, Chop  Robinson and Darius Robinson.Turner will be gone. I think the Newton injury takes him down the board but Murphy could come into play. I also think JPJ could be in play in a trade back scenario. 

9 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't think they view getting a #1  WR as a top priority. You have 5 viable throwing options in DJ, Keenan, Kmet, Everett and Swift. Allen could  be a one and done but if needed they could tag him one more year. also Tyler Scott was the 13 th ranked WR coming out last year and had some game in college. He should show improvement. He is only expected to be a third WR. The 10 highest paid WRs  in the league only has one first-round draftee in it.

Allen is short term though. If he was 27, Id agree with you. If the Bears are all in on creating a modern offense for Caleb, Moore is gonna need a long term partner, best on a rookie deal.

Also it gives the rookie a year to learn under Allen before the burden falls on him.

OL and DL are very important too, so it may well go to one of those positions too, I think WR is definitely on the table.

If you only look to this coming year, WR doesn't look like such a need, but if you look long term, I think having a shot at this kind of talent demands considering it.

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Allen is short term though. If he was 27, Id agree with you. If the Bears are all in on creating a modern offense for Caleb, Moore is gonna need a long term partner, best on a rookie deal.

Also it gives the rookie a year to learn under Allen before the burden falls on him.

OL and DL are very important too, so it may well go to one of those positions too, I think WR is definitely on the table.

If you only look to this coming year, WR doesn't look like such a need, but if you look long term, I think having a shot at this kind of talent demands considering it.

I agree in a long term sense but they will draft one probably in the third. The best rookie WR was pick 177 last year. Puka Nacua. How about Brendan Rice? Already has a connection with him. Great QBs make WRs better. Never know where that is coming from.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think it would take more than next year's two to do it, but if it took next year's number one, straight up, it would be a good move, like picking him higher than our pick will be and getting him one year early. And it'd be too good of a deal for us, so Id expect wed have to throw in #9 this year too of course, and now next years first is a little rich, so we will take the chargers second this year to even it out.

So we'd get #5 this year and the Charger's second rounder this year, for our #9 and next year's first?

I might do that if I thought MHJr was going to be Randy Moss or his dad.

I was just giving up one of next years' 2nd.  Not sure about your proposal, I'm really hesitant about giving up a 1st Rd pick.  

13 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree in a long term sense but they will draft one probably in the third. The best rookie WR was pick 177 last year. Puka Nacua. How about Brendan Rice? Already has a connection with him. Great QBs make WRs better. Never know where that is coming from.

We need WRs with more wiggle than Brendan Rice so they can get open. 

1 minute ago, AZ54 said:

It was just an example of a later pick. Puka was picked 177 last year. Never know where they will come from. I like Legette and pPearsall myself. Probably late second rounders thou.

25 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I was just giving up one of next years' 2nd.  Not sure about your proposal, I'm really hesitant about giving up a 1st Rd pick.  

well if theyd do it for that, then sure. I just think it's a way one sided deal in our favor.

I agree about giving up the first rounder too, although it should be like pick #20 or something, and wed be getting a high 2nd rounder this year back.

I was just trying to figure out what it would realistically take. Like you, I'm in no hurry to lose that first rounder.

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Definitely.  Take a look at Devontez Walker and Xavier Leggette.  They are both sub 4.4.  Walker is fluid and can really fly.  Leggette is a monster.  Both looked really good at the combine.

For those interested in draft stuff, I’m always a sucker for the write-ups Bob McGinn does every year with scouts notes on the top prospects. He might be making them all up for all I know, but it’s an interesting (apparent) look behind the curtain on prospects, a lot of which seem to come from old school type football guys. You can find it on Substack via the Go Long feed, and it’s only $8 to him for the mine month before the draft and then cancel. He did a brief write up on stuff a few weeks ago but started in earnest today with the more extensive WR write ups. Just passing it along. 

I think this is just writers speculating because the Bears brought him in for a 30 visit.

Maybe they really are interested, I dont know, but i dont think these articles have any inside info, just connecting dots we already knew.

If the Bears have too much money invested in Kmet right now to take on another TE1, they might well be meeting him because he would be an excellent trade or free agency target in the future, so good to make connections and start the book on him now?

No matter what, Odunze and Bowers are both big time talents, and someone will take them each early. And each of them would look great in a Bears uniform.

• adam unfeatured this topic