Getsy Fired

Stinger226

9 minutes ago, adam said:

Firing a whole bunch of staff members after year 2 while others were fired in season does not give me very much confidence. 

I'm good with it.  They fired a bunch of guys that didn't work out as a collective.  Any new OC is going to want to bring their guys anyway.  This gives the fired guys a better chance to interview.

As far as who will be our new OC and also DC is concerned, I believe it will be a highly desirable landing spot, due to our upswing in wins, draft capital and cap situation.

Going into the Packers game, I was looking at our 3-14 season going to a possible 8-9 season, while looking back at 3 ugly collapse losses.  11 wins was possible.  Just like our three win season could have been six.  2024 will bring us another last place schedule and plus 1 on home games.  Eleven to twelve wins is in the holster.  People talk about Green Bay being the youngest team.  You take Lewis and Whitehair off the team and we are.

6 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm good with it.  They fired a bunch of guys that didn't work out as a collective.  Any new OC is going to want to bring their guys anyway.  This gives the fired guys a better chance to interview.

As far as who will be our new OC and also DC is concerned, I believe it will be a highly desirable landing spot, due to our upswing in wins, draft capital and cap situation.

Going into the Packers game, I was looking at our 3-14 season going to a possible 8-9 season, while looking back at 3 ugly collapse losses.  11 wins was possible.  Just like our three win season could have been six.  2024 will bring us another last place schedule and plus 1 on home games.  Eleven to twelve wins is in the holster.  People talk about Green Bay being the youngest team.  You take Lewis and Whitehair off the team and we are.

Lewis is 39 and Scales is 35. Those two guys alone add 0.5 years onto the team's average age lol.

Totally off topic, it is funny to see that Moore, Mooney, and Velus are all 26 right now lol.

1 hour ago, madlithuanian said:

Nah.  Why do they get the benefit of the doubt? 

I wouldn't say benefit of the doubt.  I would say allow time to find stability.  The bears have been known as an unstable franchise for too long. For the longest time we had GMs that primarily answered to Ted (a proven idiot) and the ownership.  The addition of warren (not a proven idiot)just this year offers the suggestion that they are trying to be stable.  I'm willing to be patient because Poles drafts well and Warren has yet to prove hes an idiot.

Some very long discussions by the front office just to get to this point.  Unless your name is Tepper nobody does this without a plan.  Who is on Flus' radar for OC?  That had to enter the discussion as to why they would be a better choice than Getsy.   Why should we expect anything to be different?  The first name I've seen popup, one I have no clue or sentiment one way or another, is Frank Reich.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears-reportedly-fire-offensive-coordinator-qb-coach

"Immediately, offensive coordinator speculation will focus on Eberflus' friend and former boss in Indianapolis, Frank Reich. The Carolina Panthers fired Reich as head coach during the 2023 season."

I wasn't aware PFR had coaching stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ReicFr0.htm

I'm holding judgment on the offseason moves till it all plays out.  I'm not going to assume the worst yet, not to say when the dust settles I'll like how this offseason shakes out I'll ultimately like what we did.  

On the surface here we know Getsy and offensive position coaches are gone.  What was one of our biggest flaws overall this season?  Offensive play calling and production.  So I'm all for the move to get rid of Getsy, and I'm not sure we shouldn't have done that in season.  So far this and that Flus most likely staying are the only moves we know for sure.

As for Justin's future I'd say that now hinges on who the OC we bring in. This comes with some questions.  Does the new OC come in with the premise that Justin is staying?  Does the next OC determine whether you keep Fields or trade and draft a QB.  Is Flus, Poles, and Warren already inclined to move on from Justin unless they are convinced a candidate can get the most out of Justin.  Thing is we don't know any of these answers unless a statement is made which may not come till after the new OC is here.

Random thought I've had concerning Justin and the draft.  How much does this affect the value of the #1 pick.  If we trade Justin prior to the draft the writing is on the wall and teams know we are inclined to stay put and take Williams at #1.  And it could in theory increase the value as teams know they aren't just competing with each other for the pick but that they also have to offer enough compensation to convince us to move from the pick.  If we are in fact planning on sticking with Fields is there benefit in letting other teams sweat it out not knowing while internally we let Justin know he's safe?

Fans always deal with emotion where GMs have to decide what is best for the future. I trust Poles and want to see what his plan is. If we win 9+ next year, probably have to say he knows what he's doing. If GMs reacted to fans every year, he would have a new coach every year. 

I'm curious what sort of OC they bring in, as I do think there could be certain "Tells" with the hire. For example - do they bring in a Greg Roman. If they do, that would lead me to believe that they are going to run it back with Justin and maximize picks and basically give this entire regime one more year.  

If they bring in a Frank Reich or Thomas Brown (young OC) - I tend to think he's going to look another way and you are likely bringing in a young QB and starting over. In this case, I think the franchise is saying, you know what, we like Flus enough that we are going to give him at least 2 years for him and his OC to build this with a #1 pick (you can't be like half in and say we are going to kick everyone out a year from now - that just can't work).  

17 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Some very long discussions by the front office just to get to this point.  Unless your name is Tepper nobody does this without a plan.  Who is on Flus' radar for OC?  That had to enter the discussion as to why they would be a better choice than Getsy.   Why should we expect anything to be different?  The first name I've seen popup, one I have no clue or sentiment one way or another, is Frank Reich.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears-reportedly-fire-offensive-coordinator-qb-coach

"Immediately, offensive coordinator speculation will focus on Eberflus' friend and former boss in Indianapolis, Frank Reich. The Carolina Panthers fired Reich as head coach during the 2023 season."

I wasn't aware PFR had coaching stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ReicFr0.htm

Reich is a very competent offensive mind so I have ZERO problem with this hire. He also has worked with Eberflus and I believe there is a lot of mutual respect, as long as they can get past the fact that their reporting lines have reversed (ie Flus is now the HC and Reich is the Coordinator).  Reich also, if you believe the reports, was all in on Stroud but ownership overruled him.  

13 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Reich is a very competent offensive mind so I have ZERO problem with this hire. He also has worked with Eberflus and I believe there is a lot of mutual respect, as long as they can get past the fact that their reporting lines have reversed (ie Flus is now the HC and Reich is the Coordinator).  Reich also, if you believe the reports, was all in on Stroud but ownership overruled him.  

Reich was OC when Eagles won the SB. He went to Indy and had a few successful years. They have a plan, we just have to be patient and let it play out. As DBDB stated Frank wanted Stroud, so he's smart enough to give him some credit. 

This is very disappointing. It smells of McCaskey-ism. Not saying that Warren wasnt in charge, just saying it's the same old kind of decision from the same old team.

Saying "they have a plan" is ridiculous. Every team has a plan. Nagy had a plan. So did Trestman. etc etc lather rinse repeat.

If Harbaugh doesnt stay at Michigan then this whole team should be sued for incompetence.

Just now, BearFan PHX said:

This is very disappointing. It smells of McCaskey-ism. Not saying that Warren wasnt in charge, just saying it's the same old kind of decision from the same old team.

Warren was quoted a few days ago stating that he was with the Rams with Dick Vermeil and he saw how continuity impacted them and how they went from year 2 to year 3 (that was when Warner emerged).   So Warren seems to think consistency is big.  You could even look at Michigan - 4 or 5 years ago, they wanted to move on from Harbaugh (he even had to take a paycut), but he stuck it out and got the team to the point where they are now clobbering OSU on an annual basis.  

I will be honest - hiring Reich would make me pretty happy. It may not be sexy on paper, but he's super experienced, has had a ton of success (both as an OC and HC), and is probably not going to get another HC job.  So the possibility of a 5+ year run with Flus and Reich running the show isn't awful.  Quite frankly I think Reich would be the best OC this franchise has had in 20 years. The only one with a better long term track record was Martz, who in all fairness, had his offense playing tremendous until Cutler broke his hand diving to tackle a Charger player on an INT return.  

38 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

Does the next OC determine whether you keep Fields or trade and draft a QB. 

My guess is yes, they’re going to try to find a proven commodity they can trust with this evaluation.   Everyone on the staff right now is too close to the situation to be clear eyed.   At the end of the day it’ll be Poles call but he’ll want someone telling him if he believes Fields is fixable.