Bears OC search

ASHKUM BEAR

So much for no OC will want to work under a HC who might be on a hot seat.

The Bears have 4 good names to interview.  They all run a scheme similiar to what the Bears ran under Getsy.  This tells me they do not want the team to go through another learning curve and it also helps JF case on being QB1 next year.  What was feeling like 60 stay/40 out is not hovering 75 stay/25 out. 

The Bears also have an edge with having a HC in place while other teams have to get that done first. 

Shane Waldron-Sea OC, worked under Belechik. G Geno Smith put together 8000 yds  50 tds in 2 years under him. 

Clint Kubiak-passing coor, Dad is the godfather of Shannahans offense.

Liam Coen-Kentucky OC, LA Rams OC in 21 under McVay, Dad is NFL exec.

Greg Olson - worked with Bears under Jauron, QB coach with Seattle. Maybe he comes with Waldron.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waldron and Kubiak are my selections based on what I have read.

For Coen, it is tough to eval him, Kentucky was not very good, they don't have good players, and their offense actually scored a decent amount. In ranked games, they scored 35 against Clemson in the Bowl Game, 31 against Louisville, 21 against Alabama, 27 against Tennessee, 13 against Georgia, and 33 against Florida. So 6 games, and only one low scoring output for the offense. That is fairly impressive considering their roster. I would be ok with him if they missed out on Waldron and Kubiak going to other teams.

Olson has not been very good everywhere he has been. He has been an OC for 5 different teams over the last 20 years. He can't hold a job down and never lasted more than 3 years in any OC position. The offenses he has ran ranked near the bottom half of the league in most of his seasons. Hard pass for me.

25 minutes ago, adam said:

Waldron and Kubiak are my selections based on what I have read.

For Coen, it is tough to eval him, Kentucky was not very good, they don't have good players, and their offense actually scored a decent amount. In ranked games, they scored 35 against Clemson in the Bowl Game, 31 against Louisville, 21 against Alabama, 27 against Tennessee, 13 against Georgia, and 33 against Florida. So 6 games, and only one low scoring output for the offense. That is fairly impressive considering their roster. I would be ok with him if they missed out on Waldron and Kubiak going to other teams.

Olson has not been very good everywhere he has been. He has been an OC for 5 different teams over the last 20 years. He can't hold a job down and never lasted more than 3 years in any OC position. The offenses he has ran ranked near the bottom half of the league in most of his seasons. Hard pass for me.

I am leaning Waldron and if Olson can't find a gig, bring him in as QB coach and someone that can move to OC if Waldron moves on to a HC job after the Bears offense becomes great.

Kubiak is right there with me too.  The Shannahan tree seems to do well and he is familiar with the division. 

I imagine more candidates will emerge once teams get eliminated this weekend. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I am leaning Waldron and if Olson can't find a gig, bring him in as QB coach and someone that can move to OC if Waldron moves on to a HC job after the Bears offense becomes great.

Kubiak is right there with me too.  The Shannahan tree seems to do well and he is familiar with the division. 

I imagine more candidates will emerge once teams get eliminated this weekend. 

Waldron and kubiak come from similar offenses, so a transition for Fields will be minimal if they decide to keep him. They're not going to have any problem finding a talented guy. There are only. 30 of those jobs available because of HCs calling plays. So far, adding Coen is # 3 , I think rules are you have to talk to five. Does anyone know another person that has an interview?

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Waldron and kubiak come from similar offenses, so a transition for Fields will be minimal if they decide to keep him. They're not going to have any problem finding a talented guy. There are only. 30 of those jobs available because of HCs calling plays. So far, adding Coen is # 3 , I think rules are you have to talk to five. Does anyone know another person that has an interview?

I named 4, Waldron, Kubiak, Coen, and Olson.   Biememy or Reich maybe left?

20 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I don’t think highly of Olsen or Cohen. Olsen is kind of a loser OC…long track record and solid coach but nothing special and has gotten a short run any time he has been an oc. 

I agree. I read nothing about Olsen or Cohen to make me think they would be an upgrade. 

I find it interesting that all we are doing is searching for OCs.  We don't even have a DC Search thread on this board.   That is the priority but still odd and it makes me think Flus already knows who his DC is going to be.  He doesn't have to rush that search since that individual might be busy in the playoffs.  I have no clue who that might be if we ignore that the same logic should apply:  Get on the DC search now ahead of other teams that are still figuring out GM/HCs.  I say there is something to this that gives Flus enough confidence to let him focus fully on OC search now.  

Anyway, back to the OC search.  I agree we must be almost fully sold on keeping Fields (which I agree with) and are trying to keep within the same or similar  scheme with the new OC to maintain some continuity in the offense for him.   These early candidates and their resumes make it so you just can't ignore that  elephant in the room.  

What Waldron did in Seattle with Geno Smith is impressive.  Of course he had some very good WR talent there but young Oline talent.  I think he has to be the leading candidate and they were on the phone with him minutes after Carroll was fired (or whatever they called it).  This college OC feels like a QB coach candidate, up and coming talent maybe not ready for NFL OC.   Flus did some of that type of interviews / hires when he first arrived. 

I'd bet that our new DC is already in Chicago as a coach for the Bears. I saw one article where they listed 5 possible candidates, four were position coaches already working with Flus. Memory might fail me but I think Hoke was the first listed.

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I find it interesting that all we are doing is searching for OCs.  We don't even have a DC Search thread on this board.   That is the priority but still odd and it makes me think Flus already knows who his DC is going to be.  He doesn't have to rush that search since that individual might be busy in the playoffs.  I have no clue who that might be if we ignore that the same logic should apply:  Get on the DC search now ahead of other teams that are still figuring out GM/HCs.  I say there is something to this that gives Flus enough confidence to let him focus fully on OC search now.  

Anyway, back to the OC search.  I agree we must be almost fully sold on keeping Fields (which I agree with) and are trying to keep within the same or similar  scheme with the new OC to maintain some continuity in the offense for him.   These early candidates and their resumes make it so you just can't ignore that  elephant in the room.  

What Waldron did in Seattle with Geno Smith is impressive.  Of course he had some very good WR talent there but young Oline talent.  I think he has to be the leading candidate and they were on the phone with him minutes after Carroll was fired (or whatever they called it).  This college OC feels like a QB coach candidate, up and coming talent maybe not ready for NFL OC.   Flus did some of that type of interviews / hires when he first arrived. 

He may be promoting a coach on the team already. At the start of the season they had 20 persons in the coaching dept. Minus who has been let go , that leaves most of your defensive assistants. Maybe Hoke, aligns with Flus philosophy and is a smart guy. Most coaches dip into a market of people they know, like you said, he may already know. 

I just saw this on NFL.com, I don't recall hearing this before, or reading it here.

The Bears interviewed former Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman for their OC position on Monday, NFL Network's Peter Schrager reported.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I just saw this on NFL.com, I don't recall hearing this before, or reading it here.

Was just coming on to post the same. Roman has to be a if we stick with Fields candidate. I don’t think I want him if they draft a new qb but if they stuck with Fields he would be my #1 choice. 

11 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Was just coming on to post the same. Roman has to be a if we stick with Fields candidate. I don’t think I want him if they draft a new qb but if they stuck with Fields he would be my #1 choice. 

The OC choose will be a sign of what decision he goes at QB. 

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm not trolling you, but no.  Not true.

I only think that if they go with Roman - as I really think he's a fit for Field(s). But in general - I agree with you.  The  Bears will be done with their OC search long before they have finished up their analysis of all the draft prospects.  So with that in mind - I don't think the OC will have much say in what the Bears are going to do in terms of staying or moving on from Fields.  

22 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I only think that if they go with Roman - as I really think he's a fit for Field(s). But in general - I agree with you.  The  Bears will be done with their OC search long before they have finished up their analysis of all the draft prospects.  So with that in mind - I don't think the OC will have much say in what the Bears are going to do in terms of staying or moving on from Fields.  

I doubt we go with Roman as our new OC as his track record doesn't demonstrate the "fixes" we need as a passing offense.  I think he would be a great addition to the offensive staff as an assistant/run game coordinator.   

Naturally I think the new OC, really all of these interviews involve heavy discussion on Fields.  Therefore whoever gets the job I think will have some sway.  There is a risk of hiring the guy who gives you the answer you want to hear.  Since Fields was here before this staff that could be for or against.   Or you better draft one of these top 3 QBs to hedge your bet.  

On 1/13/2024 at 2:47 PM, Pixote said:

I agree. I read nothing about Olsen or Cohen to make me think they would be an upgrade. 

Olsen’s track record of being with teams no longer than two years is enough to tell me we don’t want him.  Which only means he’s their #1 candidate.  

Here is a list of the OC candidates who have had interviews:

1. Shane Waldron - SEA OC  (SEA beat DET this season)

2. Klint Kubiak - SF Passing Game Coordinator (SF lost to MIN and plays GB this weekend)

3. Thomas Brown - CAR OC (CAR basically lost to everone)

------------------------------------------------

4. Liam Coen - Kentucky OC (Kentucky scored a lot of pts against good SEC teams)

5. Greg Roman - Ex-BAL OC (castoff, might be better for a lower position, like Run Game Coordinator)

6. Greg Olson - SEA QB Coach (SEA beat DET this season)

I prefer one of the top 3.

35 minutes ago, adam said:

1. Shane Waldron - SEA OC

2. Klint Kubiak - SF Passing Game Coordinator

3. Thomas Brown - CAR OC

4. Liam Coen - Kentucky OC

5. Greg Roman - Ex-BAL OC

6. Greg Olson - SEA QB Coach

I prefer one of the top three as well.  I would eliminate anyone that has not called plays in game.

2 hours ago, adam said:

1. Shane Waldron - SEA OC

2. Klint Kubiak - SF Passing Game Coordinator

3. Thomas Brown - CAR OC

4. Liam Coen - Kentucky OC

5. Greg Roman - Ex-BAL OC

6. Greg Olson - SEA QB Coach

I heard that there may be an attempt to go Waldron (OC), Olson (QB Coach), and Roman (Running Game Coordinator).  So that would be interesting.  I'm pretty comfortable with Waldron/Olson in that set-up given that they have worked together in Seattle and both are respected.  Roman is intriguing - if his ego would allow it - cause he is excellent at developing running games and that would give you a great mind (as long as it doesn't create too many voices). 

Thomas Brown is intriguing - despite Panthers challenges - he gets RAVE reviews from top offensive minds around the league.  Same with Kubiak.