IF we draft Williams, who's the backup?

Stinger226

IF we draft Caleb Williams, odds are the Bears bring in a veteran backup QB. Bagent was okay in  4 games but Getsy babied him with 250 WR screens in those games. All quick throw routes so he didn't have to hold the ball to long.

I think they bring in a vet to backup Williams, so who?

Here's a article giving the top 10 FA QBs. I think it will be Drew Lock who played under Waldron in Seattle last year.

What say you?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/best-free-agent-quarterbacks-in-2024-ranking-the-top-10-projected-value-team-fits/ar-BB1iBagE

28 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I believe Bagent will be the backup.  There's a guy out there that Purdy worked with that increased his velocity by 5 mph.  If Bagent can increase his arm strength, he should be fine.

I would normally agree with you but no matter what Poles does this year, he has to win or his job is in jeopardy. Williams isn't a large man, 6' 1" 211. With his hero mentality, I could see him having a lot of injuries in his career. If he goes down for the season, are they going to trust Bagent?

55 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I would normally agree with you but no matter what Poles does this year, he has to win or his job is in jeopardy. Williams isn't a large man, 6' 1" 211. With his hero mentality, I could see him having a lot of injuries in his career. If he goes down for the season, are they going to trust Bagent?

Williams is not a frail guy, so there's that.  Bagent came out of nowhere and looked good.  Another year of development is always great, unless it's Justin.  Then, it's just ok...

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I believe Bagent will be the backup.  There's a guy out there that Purdy worked with that increased his velocity by 5 mph.  If Bagent can increase his arm strength, he should be fine.

agree. I wouldnt be surprised if we sign a free agent to be the starter until Williams is ready, I dunno if that's Bagents role yet? But i think Bagent is an excellent QB, but he needs to develop more arm strength, which I think is possible. But even so, I dunno if Bagent is ready to be the starter until Williams is ready.

But all in all, I think Bagent is eventually going to be the best backup in the league.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Williams is not a frail guy, so there's that.  Bagent came out of nowhere and looked good.  Another year of development is always great, unless it's Justin.  Then, it's just ok...

Fields isn't a frail guy either and he's missed games every year. The whole point of the thread is IMO they will bring in a vet if Williams is the QB. Bagent would be a wonderful story but Poles has to win this year and I'm not sure he will trust Bagent as the backup. Just throwing out topics for discussion.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Fields isn't a frail guy either and he's missed games every year. The whole point of the thread is IMO they will bring in a vet if Williams is the QB. Bagent would be a wonderful story but Poles has to win this year and I'm not sure he will trust Bagent as the backup. Just throwing out topics for discussion.

I can read.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

The other question is, if they draft Williams, do you honestly think they will let him sit (I think they should) or throw him out there in game one (I think they will)?

I really hope they let him sit.  It would have been better if they had let Fields sit for the first year, the fans contributed to pressure the original plan into change.

3 hours ago, Daventry said:

I really hope they let him sit.  It would have been better if they had let Fields sit for the first year, the fans contributed to pressure the original plan into change.

'But, but he's a "generational talent" and can do everything Justin can't'.   So why shouldn't he be able to start from day one?  
For the record I agree with you...I'm letting my antagonist side speak out.  👺🤬

Because there is a difference between talent and experience. Mahomes, the generational talent sat for a year. Rodgers and Love both sat. It's a good way to acclimate a rookie without throwing him into the fire. Let him get used to everything and log some snaps against NFL speed in practice before he learns under fire.

My guess is Williams starts by week 8. Maybe sooner. Depends on how he is in camp.

I suspect it will be Bagent but they will have a competition for the spot and bring in some veteran back-up to compete with Bagent for 2nd string spot (and be able to stay around as the 3rd stringer if he loses the battle to Bagent).  Drew Lock is one of the options - given his familiarity with Waldron's system.  

As far as Caleb - I suspect he will start from day 1 barring injury. I say that because he is going #1 overall and he has 3+ years starting experience in college, so feels like the type of guy who you throw into the fire vs. having them wait.  I also don't think waiting works unless you really plan on sitting the player for the full season. 

Now if I drafted JJ McCarthy, who was less experience - than I think a team taking him should plan on sitting him for 1-2 years.  To me that is the only QB you take where I would keep Field(s) around.  I love McCarthy - but I think only way he ends up good is if he sits for a while.  

Note: Nagy was right about Field(s) too. He should have sat that entire year and had a real off-season before getting thrown into the fire.  Bears and Pace were pressured to force the situation and I truly believe it had a negative impact on Fields (who was too inexperienced to get thrown into the NFL like that).  

The tide is shifting in regards to starting these guys day one.  They were talking about NE should not draft a QB until they have a register to support it.  They used Fields and  Young as the most recent guys to be thrown to the wolves, then compared them to Stroud and Mahomes having success on teams with good supporting cast.

6 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

The tide is shifting in regards to starting these guys day one.  They were talking about NE should not draft a QB until they have a register to support it.  They used Fields and  Young as the most recent guys to be thrown to the wolves, then compared them to Stroud and Mahomes having success on teams with good supporting cast.

Stroud was on the laughing stock of a football team.  Mahomes / Love is an argument I can buy as KC and Packers were stable franchises and solid teams.  But Stroud went to a horrific franchise who was being made fun of and had zero building blocks and turned themselves around literally the second they drafted Stroud.  

22 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Stroud was on the laughing stock of a football team.  Mahomes / Love is an argument I can buy as KC and Packers were stable franchises and solid teams.  But Stroud went to a horrific franchise who was being made fun of and had zero building blocks and turned themselves around literally the second they drafted Stroud.  

Actually Houston as the season went on proved to have better talent than originally was projected. Their WRs showed to have a lot of talent even thou very young., have two first round OTs, a lot of quality young talent . We definitely show more talent going into next year than Houston did last year. The Stroud situation is extremely rare, Andrew Luck had a bad first year. Most QBs that don't start that first year seem to end up better overall. 

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

'But, but he's a "generational talent" and can do everything Justin can't'.   So why shouldn't he be able to start from day one?  
For the record I agree with you...I'm letting my antagonist side speak out.  👺🤬

Haha, yes some would say that.  I think JF would have benefited from sitting, there are a lot of examples of guys who got to learn before being thrown to the wolves.  Stroud did well though…

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Love is a good one to throw in there.  However, the Texans were loaded with young talent, with a really good OL.

• 2 weeks later...