Yet another Caleb Williams Red Flag

jason

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Caleb green flag! LOL

Apparently he's been meeting with the team on zoom calls every week having "frank" discussions - one assumes about ball security - and that speaks to being open to coaching.

Awesome.

If red flags look like that , we need to fly more red flags. You see his abilities even when he breaks down.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I also saw something indicating that they were having preliminary discussions about contract and that was going well. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10117625-report-caleb-williams-bears-had-very-frank-and-positive-talks-amid-contract-buzz

I read the Bleacher Report often and found this article interesting. I still suspect it will be a difficult contract negotiation. I was surprised by the last paragraph of the article (see below). Although I hope the author's viewpoint is correct, I think it is presumptive. CW, make it so!

Of course, Williams is a slam dunk to be a superstar at the NFL level, but with the Bears building a strong roster around him, he will have all the tools needed to succeed right away.

For perspective, it seems to me that Caleb could very well be a very good starting QB, but not quite a “superstar” and still end the best QB the Bears have ever had. Like, if he’s Dak Prescott that might be all it would take. 

18 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

For perspective, it seems to me that Caleb could very well be a very good starting QB, but not quite a “superstar” and still end the best QB the Bears have ever had. Like, if he’s Dak Prescott that might be all it would take. 

Good point - youre talking about his floor, which I agree is pretty stable. Of course we all hope he exceeds his base abilities and becomes great, but the risk of him being a total bust seems very low based on what he has already put on film.

Was listening to Peggy and Dion this afternoon and they had some good Caleb stuff. Evidently he's been having zoom meetings with the staff.  The meetings have all been orientation/transition based and what to expect salary wise.  A lot of talk about playing in structure and taking the win when it presents itself. 

He also did an interview with Ryan Clark and talked about himself as a person.  He's been living on his own since highschool, where his parents put him in an apartment so he could play at the best high school.  In his formative years, he was provided the best training, because he wanted only to be the best.  He also talked about crying.  He said the last time that happened was in fourth grade when he and his team lost a championship game.  He started that he didn't even feel like crying when he jumped to his mother, but as she touched him he just lost it.  He and his buddies joke about it now, making memes with him and Jordan crying in the same picture. 

I think we're getting a dude Chicago is going to love, from his raw honesty and immense talent.

14 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Was listening to Peggy and Dion this afternoon and they had some good Caleb stuff. Evidently he's been having zoom meetings with the staff.  The meetings have all been orientation/transition based and what to expect salary wise.  A lot of talk about playing in structure and taking the win when it presents itself. 

He also did an interview with Ryan Clark and talked about himself as a person.  He's been living on his own since highschool, where his parents put him in an apartment so he could play at the best high school.  In his formative years, he was provided the best training, because he wanted only to be the best.  He also talked about crying.  He said the last time that happened was in fourth grade when he and his team lost a championship game.  He started that he didn't even feel like crying when he jumped to his mother, but as she touched him he just lost it.  He and his buddies joke about it now, making memes with him and Jordan crying in the same picture. 

I think we're getting a dude Chicago is going to love, from his raw honesty and immense talent.

Yeah thats fearless. Awesome.

50 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

That is a great article. It starts off on a negative note on Williams, but don't be fooled. It shows the similarities between Williams' terrible game against ND and the really bad games that Mahomes, J Allen, and L Jackson had in college (and how those games, just like the ND game for CW, caused some concerns on draft day). Basically, it says three of the top QBs in the NFL today had games in college that compared to the ND game, but it certainly misled the naysayers.

This very detailed article is well worth reading for those wanting to load up on info on Williams before Thursday's draft.

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Then I watched a different game.

you must have, since the USC offense only managed two field goals in the first half, but scored two touchdowns in the second half, after going down 24-6 in the first half. No one quit. Certainly not Caleb.

Williams threw 3 interceptions that day, but he also had a 62% completion percentage and threw for 200 yards.

Every QB and team has bad games, but Williams didn't quit or collapse, he continued fighting, and had a better second half than first half, showing grit and competitiveness.

23 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

you must have, since the USC offense only managed two field goals in the first half, but scored two touchdowns in the second half, after going down 24-6 in the first half. No one quit. Certainly not Caleb.

Williams threw 3 interceptions that day, but he also had a 62% completion percentage and threw for 200 yards.

Every QB and team has bad games, but Williams didn't quit or collapse, he continued fighting, and had a better second half than first half, showing grit and competitiveness.

Yep, he went 23/37 and threw one TD and three INTs for 199 YDS. Everyone, including CW, says it like it was. A BAD game. No one except you tries to make it sound positive. It wasn't. He had a bad game—one game of shame over the course of a brilliant three-year college career.

I like CW and have high expectations. The article listed is very positive. It points out how three top NFL quarterbacks had a game like CW's ND fiasco. They certainly prove that one bad college game does not make them a high-risk prospect. 

16 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Yep, he went 23/37 and threw one TD and three INTs for 199 YDS. Everyone, including CW, says it like it was. A BAD game. No one except you tries to make it sound positive. It wasn't. He had a bad game—one game of shame over the course of a brilliant three-year college career.

I like CW and have high expectations. The article listed is very positive. It points out how three top NFL quarterbacks had a game like CW's ND fiasco. They certainly prove that one bad college game does not make them a high-risk prospect. 

Interesting that you took what I said that way. I didnt say it was a positive - I said he didnt fold and improved in the second half. I said he was competitive and showed grit.

For comparison, Justin Fields only broke 200 yards 13 times in the NFL.

We agree that one bad game doesn't determine a QB, but i also think there is something to be learned about his character and toughness in this game in which he played poorly, but better in the second half?

I said "Every QB and team has bad games, but Williams didn't quit or collapse, he continued fighting, and had a better second half than first half, showing grit and competitiveness."

You said "Everyone, including CW, says it like it was. A BAD game. No one except you tries to make it sound positive. It wasn't. He had a bad game"

Didnt I just call it a bad game?

I think you need to sort out your feelings about me and read what I write instead of what you prejudge me to be and say. Because you sound fighty, and you misunderstand me to support your wrong opinion of me.

Cut it out, read what I write. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Cut it out, read what I write. Thanks.

I agree. Cut it out!

Every time I disagree with you: (choose 1 or more options)

a) I miss read you.

b) I disrespected you.

c) I flamed you.

d) I am a troll.

Give me a f***ing break. I can't disagree with you without you insulting me and accusing me of trying to pick a fight? 

Yes, you admitted it was a bad game. Then you try to put a positive spin on it, saying he improved in the 2nd half. Maybe ND, with such a big lead after scoring 3 TDs on CW's INTs in the 1st half, was playing a more conservative game in the 2nd half? Prevent D. Substitutions? No, he didn't quit. But with one TD in the entire game, it is hard to say he turned it around in the 2nd half.

It's no big deal. Let's not argue over such a stupid point when we should both be looking forward to Thursday night when CW holds up a Bears' jersey with the #1 on it.

nah dude, youre being fighty - quit it. You can say "I dont see it that way" but when you say "no one but you" then youre making it about me - does that make sense?

If you dont respond harshly to me, I wont have to say anything.

I would MUCH rather be friendly, I promise.

And yes I am very much looking forward to Thursday night!

22 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

If you dont respond harshly to me, I wont have to say anything.

That's the problem. You have been super sensitive ever since your issues with Stinger. Just because I said you were the only one I knew of who was trying to put a positive spin on the ND game doesn't mean I was busting your balls. Hell, there are over 8 billion people on Earth, over 340 million in the US. I'm sure there must be others who share your opinion. 😉

Please, just lighten up. I am a super passive individual. I could never troll or flame anyone. At 75 years old I have never once been involved in a physical altercation. I have always taught my kids to turn the other cheek. So you are reading me wrong. I am not the enemy! I'm a cuddly teddy bear. LOL

Well Im one too. Let's shake hands, and maybe this dynamic will fade?

(shaking hand)

Also, did you see the game? He had a lot of dropped balls and a lot of covered receivers.

7 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Also, if you watch that game, Williams rebounded in the second half and showed grit and competitiveness.

Not to get involved in a cat fight, Pix just said he had a bad game but the article was more positive than negative. You did push back on that comment. Probably to say( he had a bad game but played better in the second half would have been more clear.)

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

That's the problem. You have been super sensitive ever since your issues with Stinger. Just because I said you were the only one I knew of who was trying to put a positive spin on the ND game doesn't mean I was busting your balls. Hell, there are over 8 billion people on Earth, over 340 million in the US. I'm sure there must be others who share your opinion. 😉

Please, just lighten up. I am a super passive individual. I could never troll or flame anyone. At 75 years old I have never once been involved in a physical altercation. I have always taught my kids to turn the other cheek. So you are reading me wrong. I am not the enemy! I'm a cuddly teddy bear. LOL

We have 340 million people in the country now? I thought the population was declining. ( my attempt at injecting stupid humor in a charged conversation). Oh by the way I get back on May 2_If you have any plumbing problems, I'd be glad to do free . I feel bad that you had such a stressful year. Be glad to help out a brother Bear alum.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Oh by the way I get back on May 2_If you have any plumbing problems, I'd be glad to do free . I feel bad that you had such a stressful year. Be glad to help out a brother Bear alum.

Thanks, Stinger. I appreciate your offer.