Gerald Everett signing with the Bears

adam

2 years, 12M

Finally a real TE2. He is a perennial 50 catch, 450 yard receiver. 

Now 18M tied to the TE group. 

If you take Everett's production + Swift's in the receiving game, that is basically 100 receptions a year added to the roster, while replacing Foreman and Tonyan lol.

They needed another TE and this is a good depth move. I hope he can still be as productive as he has been cause he's been pretty solid.  I think at this point - you can take Brockers off the list. I get he is a special talent - but unless they have him down as one of best TE's ever I don't think Bears are picking him at 9 (vs. a wideout, top dline, OT, or a trade down).  

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

They have a lot more history together than that:   

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/03/bears-to-sign-te-gerald-everett#ref=home

Yeah - hit me that they also spent time together with the Rams. I always think when you sign a guy you are familiar with / have more intimate knowledge of, it lowers the risk in free agency. Doesn't mean something can't happen - but the risk is less. Waldron clearly knows Everett and vice versa.  

Wasn't linked until he signed. Just watch - all of a sudden we are going to see the  Bears trade Fields or make some other out of the blue signing. Very clear that no one really knows who Bears are talking to - but I do think understanding the position(s) of need does help at least indicate where they are likely spending time.  

This still goes back to - wideout is a MASSIVE need, so I expect they will double dip here - both a decent sized FA signing as well as use of a higher end draft pick on the position, with potential for them to double dip (ie one in FA and 2 in draft or vice versa I suppose).  

After wideout - I expect Poles will target value in the market more so than need. Say Connor Williams market isn't what it is - maybe that is where he makes a splash looking at upgrading C in the LT, knowing Bates can do it now, but it isn't a bad thing if Bates does well as he has positional versatility and can flex elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

They needed another TE and this is a good depth move. I hope he can still be as productive as he has been cause he's been pretty solid.  I think at this point - you can take Brockers off the list. I get he is a special talent - but unless they have him down as one of best TE's ever I don't think Bears are picking him at 9 (vs. a wideout, top dline, OT, or a trade down).  

Maybe not Brockers but another potentially productive TE vs one who only blocks.  From what I've read Waldron's style offense deploys a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Blasingame gone (if he isn't already) as Waldron will line up TEs in the FB role from time to time.  Anyhow, having Everett on the team will help with the familiarity and Kmet with his potential production ability.  He still would need another TE that is capable of blocking and receiving.  Could they choose to keep Lewis around?  My guess is no and might want to draft a  younger version of him.

46 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Maybe not Brockers but another potentially productive TE vs one who only blocks.  From what I've read Waldron's style offense deploys a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Blasingame gone (if he isn't already) as Waldron will line up TEs in the FB role from time to time.  Anyhow, having Everett on the team will help with the familiarity and Kmet with his potential production ability.  He still would need another TE that is capable of blocking and receiving.  Could they choose to keep Lewis around?  My guess is no and might want to draft a  younger version of him.

The Bears just recently signed Colin Johnson, at 6'6" 220, is he the HB?

18 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The Bears just recently signed Colin Johnson, at 6'6" 220, is he the HB?

Wasn’t he on the team last year and more on a ‘test drive’ basis?  Think he scored a TD in one of the games late in the season.  In looking at him he’s listed as a WR not TE.  🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, adam said:

Played for Waldron and is familiar with the offense. 

its good because they know it, and its good because they can help teach other guys in positional meetings.

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Wasn't linked until he signed. Just watch - all of a sudden we are going to see the  Bears trade Fields or make some other out of the blue signing. Very clear that no one really knows who Bears are talking to - but I do think understanding the position(s) of need does help at least indicate where they are likely spending time.  

This still goes back to - wideout is a MASSIVE need, so I expect they will double dip here - both a decent sized FA signing as well as use of a higher end draft pick on the position, with potential for them to double dip (ie one in FA and 2 in draft or vice versa I suppose).  

After wideout - I expect Poles will target value in the market more so than need. Say Connor Williams market isn't what it is - maybe that is where he makes a splash looking at upgrading C in the LT, knowing Bates can do it now, but it isn't a bad thing if Bates does well as he has positional versatility and can flex elsewhere.  

If we can pick up Connor Williams for a low price with a possible option at a higher price if he comes back and performs well that would be a great long term move.

As for WR we definitely have a lot of need there. I assume we will pick up a Free Agent, but not a really expensive one, but the odds of us drafting WR at #9 are pretty high.

At this point I think it's either WR, OT or DL, and we cant survive without another quality receiver, so that's where I think we will go if the right name(s) are available.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Wasn’t he on the team last year and more on a ‘test drive’ basis?  Think he scored a TD in one of the games late in the season.  In looking at him he’s listed as a WR not TE.  🤷🏻‍♂️

I know he's a WR  but he has the size to be a combo type player . At the end of the season  got signed to a futures contract and then Poles recently gave him a normal deal.