QB Selection Poll

adam

QB Selection Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB are you selecting in the draft?

• Caleb Williams
    • Jayden Daniels
    • Drake Maye
    • Bo Nix
    • Michael Penix
    • JJ McCarthy
    • Spencer Rattler
    • Other

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

By the way - I don't like that Poles won't be there. I feel like even if they know - they should go through the same process with all 4 of the guys. I don't think pro-days are to watch the guys throw - I don't think anything along those lines is going to be gleaned from a pro day (unless they really have limited tools or something).  But the opportunity to see what makes people tick on a 1:1 level - that can be valuable and you should maximize all of those chances. 

I guess the reality is - they will get that chance if they meet with Maye and have a true 1:1 with him. 

Do you think teams get that much out of pro days? At this point, at most it could be used as a tiebreaker, but I doubt it sways the pendulum very much.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, adam said:

Do you think teams get that much out of pro days? At this point, at most it could be used as a tiebreaker, but I doubt it sways the pendulum very much.

Depends how it's scripted.  Lamar Jackson mostly threw between the hashes at his pro day and guess what... that's mostly what he does in the NFL even in the past season.   They are just throwing against air with no pressure and they've practiced everything in advance so I doubt that sways anyone much at all.  

7 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I really like both LSU wideouts.  I know Nabers will likely be gone at 9 - but their other wideout is fantastic as well and I wouldn't be shocked if he had a better career than some of the other guys. He has all the tools and could be legit great and likely is 4th wideout gone - but possibility you can get him in the 15-20 range (maybe not). But the LSU guy, McConkey (Sp?) from Georgia, and a few of the others guys would be #7-#15 overall picks in many drafts and will likely get picked lower than that given the depth at the position. Makes you wonder if Poles has that sort of grade - does that give him the room to use a pick from next year along with one of his pick(s) this year to move up.

Or lest say he moves back to 12-14 to take a top DE or LT - does the ammo he got from that - give him enough comfort to than move back up into the low 20's to grab a wideout he thinks is Top 15 value in a typical draft. If so - I could see the trade economics make sense.  

for sure, it comes down to who falls, what our grades are on various guys and what people are offering.

Taking Caleb at #1 seems inevitable at this point.  I would be surprised if Poles did anything but stay put at #1 and take Williams.  I've had my concerns about him.  I was in the keep Fields camp but at the same time for me it always boils down to what's best for the team and wanting to see the Bears succeed.  I could see both sides of it of the trade or keep discussion.  

Poles did what he felt was best for the teams future, and Justin's as well.  What I think it boils down to is Justin at 3 years in still represents potential, all the talent in the world, but results haven't been there, and on the other hand you have the #1 overall pick that we can use to take  Caleb Williams who represents potential but also resets the QB contract clock.   Either option has both potential to succeed or fail.  So I believe it came down to do we stick with Fields for year 4 and see if he turns the corner and becomes what we've hoped he would?  Do we trade him, and draft a Rookie with the first overall pick who has the potential to be that franchise QB we've been looking for.  

What's different for the Bears this offseason than other teams in the past with the #1 pick is that we weren't desperate for a QB where we would feel the pressure to take one regardless of whether there was a consensus #1 or whether there was a group of meh.  Both options were on the table for us.  Poles made a point to upgrade the talent on the offensive side of the ball so that whether we kept Justin or drafted Caleb whoever was the QB1 next year they would have better talent and coaching around them to succeed.

Now that it's all but a done deal baring something damning coming out our QB1 next year will be Caleb Williams.  I've had my concerns about him and I know I'm not alone here on the board.  But good or bad we aren't there in meetings with him, we weren't there on the sidelines with him, or in the huddle.  Sometimes red flags turn out to be red herrings.  What I do know is there is a lot about this situation that is unique.  Usually a consensus #1 like Williams goes to a team that is really bad, and were it not for last year's trade he'd be a Carolina Panther this coming season.  I can't think of a better landing spot than what we have here in Chicago to start a career.  He is set up to succeed here.  He's not walking into a situation where he has to be the hero, he will be surrounded by proven talent.  Something we've not been able to say about any Bears rookie QB who was drafted to be the franchise guy.  

8 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

I can't think of a better landing spot than what we have here in Chicago to start a career.  He is set up to succeed here.  He's not walking into a situation where he has to be the hero, he will be surrounded by proven talent.  Something we've not been able to say about any Bears rookie QB who was drafted to be the franchise guy.  

This is one thing we can finally agree on. 😉