QB Selection Poll

adam

QB Selection Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB are you selecting in the draft?

• Caleb Williams
    • Jayden Daniels
    • Drake Maye
    • Bo Nix
    • Michael Penix
    • JJ McCarthy
    • Spencer Rattler
    • Other

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Caleb Williams. Unless some huge red flag comes up, it is hard to see the Bears passing on him. He does have some issues to resolve, but there are too many things he does that you can't teach and the few weaknesses are things that can be coached. 

The biggest complaints are he holds the ball too long and plays hero ball. When I watch some game replays, most of the time when he holds the ball too long, he is escaping the pass rush and looking downfield to pass. It's not like he is holding the ball too long in the pocket and not trying to pass. For the hero ball, at least this season, the team around him looked like the Panthers. He was trying to make something out of nothing a lot. The offense put a lot on him, and he had no running game.

If they select him, he is coming into a situation that is better than he had in college. Allen and Moore are the best WRs he has ever thrown to. So there is a chance he is even better in the NFL, which is crazy to think. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I voted for Caleb Williams. Unless some huge red flag comes up, it is hard to see the Bears passing on him. He does have some issues to resolve, but there are too many things he does that you can't teach and the few weaknesses are things that can be coached. 

The biggest complaints are he holds the ball too long and plays hero ball. When I watch some game replays, most of the time when he holds the ball too long, he is escaping the pass rush and looking downfield to pass. It's not like he is holding the ball too long in the pocket and not trying to pass. For the hero ball, at least this season, the team around him looked like the Panthers. He was trying to make something out of nothing a lot. The offense put a lot on him, and he had no running game.

If they select him, he is coming into a situation that is better than he had in college. Allen and Moore are the best WRs he has ever thrown to. So there is a chance he is even better in the NFL, which is crazy to think. 

Which is what can make the selection potentially dangerous since we are being sold on how he is the next coming.  I chose Caleb because by the looks of the team today, they will be throwing him into the fire day 1.  The other QBs might need to sit and put in work before getting under center.  Stroud put up incredible numbers and a playoff trip, so now Caleb has to match or the fans will be restless and speaking.

6 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

It’s Caleb but we’re about to find out what a class, no Drama guy, Fields was, in comparison to this guy and his father.  He’s a real piece of work.  1

He doesn't have to be likable to be a star QB.  But talent over shadowing personality.

11 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

It’s Caleb but we’re about to find out what a class, no Drama guy, Fields was, in comparison to this guy and his father.  He’s a real piece of work.  

Can you show me anything that actually shows this?  Kingsbury talked about how he saw Caleb's dad one time while coaching and implied zero issues. The people I know who are huge USC fans never heard anything about Caleb's dad.  All that has been is non-sourced weak BS so I am just curious if there is any real source on this.  Same with Caleb. These talks about all these demands Caleb's dad made - NONE of them were true - where he wanted to own a piece of the franchise, etc.  That stuff out there - was not factual - legit NFL reports have denied every existence of it.  

I think we will take Caleb because everything points to him the consensus best QB in the draft.

However, I have watched several breakdowns of Caleb Williams by Kurt Warner and I still cannot see where he is considered a can’t miss prospect or generational talent. 

I don’t like that most of his plays are RPO and this makes it difficult to work out his ability to go through his progressions. He has great ability to make fantastic throws when the play breaks down, but against NFL defenses this will be harder. He did make some quick reads that he will need to be bread and butter plays such as going to receivers when the linebacker dropped off or moved inside giving an easy completion. 

Warner stated he didn’t have the opportunity to speak with Caleb to find out what he saw and why he chose to throw to a particular receiver. I suppose the Bears can have these discussions when he visits Halas Hall. 

Wish it was as clear as others on the forum have suggested, I still feel there are a lot of unknowns. 

Warner has done similar work with the other QBs, but it will be hard for the Bears to go in a different direction unless major red flags crop up. It would be harder for the other QB to succeed if they chose to not take Caleb and he performs well. 

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

That stuff out there - was not factual - legit NFL reports have denied every existence of it.  

Some of his 'red flag' reporting appears to be the 'he-said, they-said' variety.  We do know he does not have an agent, not all that peculiar but we've had experience with Roquan Smith not having one and that caused some frustration and delays.  And the other things we've heard about are summarized here.  To include a sub-link to the Athletic about he/his father wanting to get a stake in ownership.  I don't have a subscription to Athletic to read it all, but maybe others can and summarize(?) 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/caleb-williams-red-flags-explained-father-agent/ebdb755e7ba9096db47e46a2

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Caleb went 12-0 when his team gave up fewer than 34 points.  34 Points.  

exactly. and no one he played with will be selected above the 3rd round in the draft.

Also to the vaporous rumors about Williams' negative character, since there was never any substance that came out about them, couldnt it have been disinformational rumor seeding by Washington?

I think Greg Gabriel got paid some money by Washington to seed this. And before you say that's paranoid I have heard several commentators say that they know reporters do this for money and for the guarantee of scooping breaking stories in the future from the same GM.

Additionally I know of at least one pundit who says he was approached and offered money to do it.

Greg Gabriel lost his inside source in Cliff Stein and was facing having no pipeline for info which is death for a pundit. So he makes a deal with Washington's GM to seed bad info about Caleb, possibly to shake him free to get to pick #2. And if he ends up screwing the Bears in the process why wouldnt he?

Greg Gabriel is a stooge. Screw that guy.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

exactly. and no one he played with will be selected above the 3rd round in the draft.

Also to the vaporous rumors about Williams' negative character, since there was never any substance that came out about them, couldnt it have been disinformational rumor seeding by Washington?

I think Greg Gabriel got paid some money by Washington to seed this. And before you say that's paranoid I have heard several commentators say that they know reporters do this for money and for the guarantee of scooping breaking stories in the future from the same GM.

Additionally I know of at least one pundit who says he was approached and offered money to do it.

Greg Gabriel lost his inside source in Cliff Stein and was facing having no pipeline for info which is death for a pundit. So he makes a deal with Washington's GM to seed bad info about Caleb, possibly to shake him free to get to pick #2. And if he ends up screwing the Bears in the process why wouldnt he?

Greg Gabriel is a stooge. Screw that guy.

Tell me where on the doll that Greg Gabriel hurt you.  Greg has more connections to information than the bean counter that was canned. He was upset about Stein because he was a long time work friend. People don't like Greg because he is blunt and not afraid to say what is on his mind. I personally enjoy his work and I see he is still living in his glory day world, which is fine. Not all former scout, personal directors put themselves out there on a forum like he does.  You say something and call him out, he will spit back.  Greg was a Caleb guy, but he said he now has reservations from a scoop he had. It wasn't from Stein, but I believe another former scout, maybe last name Lucas. It is not a play to devalue Caleb, just that he has heard rumblings. Don't take it personal, I am just throwing my 2 cents on the old man.

3 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Tell me where on the doll that Greg Gabriel hurt you.  Greg has more connections to information than the bean counter that was canned. He was upset about Stein because he was a long time work friend. People don't like Greg because he is blunt and not afraid to say what is on his mind. I personally enjoy his work and I see he is still living in his glory day world, which is fine. Not all former scout, personal directors put themselves out there on a forum like he does.  You say something and call him out, he will spit back.  Greg was a Caleb guy, but he said he now has reservations from a scoop he had. It wasn't from Stein, but I believe another former scout, maybe last name Lucas. It is not a play to devalue Caleb, just that he has heard rumblings. Don't take it personal, I am just throwing my 2 cents on the old man.

ha! its ok! I said screw him, so the pushback is symmetrical!

I think Gabriel is full of crap about this double secret anti Caleb stuff. That's all I really mean to say. I think he's being an agent of disinformation in this case, which I understand is not uncommon in the NFL. And if so, it's anti-Bear too.

But I've got nothing else against the guy. No other examples.

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

ha! its ok! I said screw him, so the pushback is symmetrical!

I think Gabriel is full of crap about this double secret anti Caleb stuff. That's all I really mean to say. I think he's being an agent of disinformation in this case, which I understand is not uncommon in the NFL. And if so, it's anti-Bear too.

But I've got nothing else against the guy. No other examples.

His love is in Chicago and then Buffalo. He helped bring the team to a superbowl even if he had a hand in JA selecting Grossman and Orton. 

34 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

His love is in Chicago and then Buffalo. He helped bring the team to a superbowl even if he had a hand in JA selecting Grossman and Orton. 

lol well Im not gonna blame him for his draft choices, but if I did more research maybe I would! LOL

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

lol well Im not gonna blame him for his draft choices, but if I did more research maybe I would! LOL

He helped direct the Bears to some good and bad: Charles Tillman, Lance Briggs, Rex Grossman, Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, Nathan Vasher, Benard Berrian, Cedrick Benson, Kyle Orton, Daniel Manning, Devin Hester, Mark Anderson, Greg Olson, Matt Forte. 

10 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He helped direct the Bears to some good and bad: Charles Tillman, Lance Briggs, Rex Grossman, Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, Nathan Vasher, Benard Berrian, Cedrick Benson, Kyle Orton, Daniel Manning, Devin Hester, Mark Anderson, Greg Olson, Matt Forte. 

some good names there, but i feel like our current roster is better!

16 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

some good names there, but i feel like our current roster is better!

It seems the Bears have struggled drafting elite talent at the major key positions since Finks: QB, DE, LT, WR (Alshon Jeffrie)

Poles can knock 2 of those out of the park in this draft.  This is what I love, a GM that gets it and knows what positions need to be addressed.

Go back to previous eras where LBs and RBs were valued more than. DTs and O-line

On 3/19/2024 at 10:51 AM, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Can you show me anything that actually shows this? 

DBDB - I’ll admit it was all hearsay and things some said here.  I hope I’m 100% wrong (and so was all the stuff I heard) since it really looks like he’s a Bear in April.  

I truly am glad to see everyone starting to align behind Caleb. I think he is going to make all of us excited to be Bear fans.

I had thought this survey was going to be more scattered, so maybe we are all going to be a community again next year.

Can we get no clue as an option?  At this point in time I have no idea who I think is the best QB in this draft for a variety of reasons.  Reasons  that are different on each of the top 3.  I've got 5 wks to figure it out so I can be disappointed on draft day. 

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I truly am glad to see everyone starting to align behind Caleb.

Not so fast. Generally I don’t get too excited for the run up to the draft but for some reason this year is different.  I’m still in the ‘trade the 1st for more picks camp’ but yes I did like the interview earlier today…although it may have been a more veneer less substance. Need more info to draw some conclusions. 

23 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not so fast. Generally I don’t get too excited for the run up to the draft but for some reason this year is different.  I’m still in the ‘trade the 1st for more picks camp’ but yes I did like the interview earlier today…although it may have been a more veneer less substance. Need more info to draw some conclusions. 

fair enough - lets say warming to the idea. or even if you like the haul, that doesnt diminish Caleb's upside either? Something like that?