MHJ skips Combine AND Pro Day

adam

It doesnt really matter, what i think is important is that we know other guys have skipped the combine all together, so going but not giving a physical, if hes the only one that ever did that, is only special or sticks out because he went. The not giving a physical was also true of every player thats skipped the combine in the past.

So it isnt that Caleb is out a limb by himself in not giving a medical - what's unique is that he was there at all and didnt give one - which is a lot less character-problem-y to me if hes not the only one who didn't give a medical. Cuz showing up anyway is a positive over not showing up.

There are multiple reports suggesting 1 NFL source stated Caleb Williams is the first attending player to decline having his medical report shared with teams. Don’t know if the source was stating a fact or an opinion.

I have no issue with this because:

1) The report would include confidential information.

2) Whatever is in the report would only need to be shared with a few teams.

Caleb is likely going to be available to be selected by up to 5 teams and likely only 1,i.e., the Bears. Would anyone on this board want their personal information shared with an organisation they’re unlikely to work for, I wouldn’t.

So for me there is no red flag. When Caleb meets with the Bears or any team that can pick him, he has told them they can do whatever test is needed.

This situation will happen in the future because prospects are starting to question some of the previous norms and have greater power, which I don’t think is a bad thing.

My age and old-time values make me a bit of a dinosaur out of place in the Generation Alpha era.

Being invited to the NFL Combine, being drafted by an NFL team, or even being signed as a UFA is an honor only a small fraction of aspiring football players can experience.  If it were my boy who was given this opportunity, and he tried to buck the system to strut his stuff, I'd encourage him just to shut the f**k up and do as you're told. (Of course, he'd ignore my advice, as usual.)

5 hours ago, 50england50 said:

There are multiple reports suggesting 1 NFL source stated Caleb Williams is the first attending player to decline having his medical report shared with teams. Don’t know if the source was stating a fact or an opinion.

Caleb is likely going to be available to be selected by up to 5 teams and likely only 1,i.e., the Bears. Would anyone on this board want their personal information shared with an organisation they’re unlikely to work for, I wouldn’t.

So for me there is no red flag. When Caleb meets with the Bears or any team that can pick him, he has told them they can do whatever test is needed.

This situation will happen in the future because prospects are starting to question some of the previous norms and have greater power, which I don’t think is a bad thing.

But after the top few players, it is a crap shoot where or who can draft you. Teams might dig deep on 100 players they think they would be interested in.  They don't have an option to return their pick if a medical is discovered.  This might become a norm but only for the top player or few.

44 minutes ago, Pixote said:

My age and old-time values make me a bit of a dinosaur out of place in the Generation Alpha era.

Being invited to the NFL Combine, being drafted by an NFL team, or even being signed as a UFA is an honor only a small fraction of aspiring football players can experience.  If it were my boy who was given this opportunity, and he tried to buck the system to strut his stuff, I'd encourage him just to shut the f**k up and do as you're told. (Of course, he'd ignore my advice, as usual.)

Amen brother!  

9 hours ago, 50england50 said:

For a chance to have a $7mil/yr job I'll give my medicals to every team.    

42 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

For a chance to have a $7mil/yr job I'll give my medicals to every team.    

Sure, but hes got that gig already wrapped up, so the only change that could happen, no matter how unlikely, is that he'd lose that job. So he's playing it safe, and flexing at the same time.

i think most players would just go along with things and not make waves, but there is a logical reason for Caleb not to do it, just as he will pay a price in the press and public opinion for this decision too.

When Payton was signed by the Bears he said "I'm going to make you forget all about Gale Sayers", 6th round draft Pick Tom Brady found Robgert Kraft on the field the first day and told him "I'm going to be the best draft pick you ever took" - sometimes real leaders are abrasive and arrogant and single-minded in the pursuit of greatness.

Caleb has described his NFL goals saying "I want to be immortal" - the kind of GOAT greatness historical fame that everyone remembers. Im not mad at that. I dont need "golly gee Im just here to work and improve one day at a time" - I love the fire and confidence. But of course if he doesnt back it up he will be a bum, but if he does, he may drag the entire organization across the finish line, even as they may resist what it takes to win.

He might be the kind of guy to call his own more aggressive play in the huddle and ignore the actual play call, and if hes right and hits it, then he's a hero.

Jim Mcmahon famously threw that bomb of a pass to Willie Gault against the Vikings on MNF, coming off the bench to light the fuse on the 85 Bears. The play call was a screen to Payton. Gault's route was a clearout and he was not a viable receiver on the play. Was Mcmahon wrong to break the mold and reach for greatness? When he wore the headband with the Commissioners name on it mocking him, that wasnt humble. It wasnt being a good team player. It was an arrogant SOB taking his destiny.

Let's not be afraid of greatness and praise humility as the only path. I'd rather win superbowls than sing kumbaya.

9 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Sure, but hes got that gig already wrapped up, so the only change that could happen, no matter how unlikely, is that he'd lose that job. So he's playing it safe, and flexing at the same time.

i think most players would just go along with things and not make waves, but there is a logical reason for Caleb not to do it, just as he will pay a price in the press and public opinion for this decision too.

When Payton was signed by the Bears he said "I'm going to make you forget all about Gale Sayers", 6th round draft Pick Tom Brady found Robgert Kraft on the field the first day and told him "I'm going to be the best draft pick you ever took" - sometimes real leaders are abrasive and arrogant and single-minded in the pursuit of greatness.

Caleb has described his NFL goals saying "I want to be immortal" - the kind of GOAT greatness historical fame that everyone remembers. Im not mad at that. I dont need "golly gee Im just here to work and improve one day at a time" - I love the fire and confidence. But of course if he doesnt back it up he will be a bum, but if he does, he may drag the entire organization across the finish line, even as they may resist what it takes to win.

He might be the kind of guy to call his own more aggressive play in the huddle and ignore the actual play call, and if hes right and hits it, then he's a hero.

Jim Mcmahon famously threw that bomb of a pass to Willie Gault against the Vikings on MNF, coming off the bench to light the fuse on the 85 Bears. The play call was a screen to Payton. Gault's route was a clearout and he was not a viable receiver on the play. Was Mcmahon wrong to break the mold and reach for greatness? When he wore the headband with the Commissioners name on it mocking him, that wasnt humble. It wasnt being a good team player. It was an arrogant SOB taking his destiny.

Let's not be afraid of greatness and praise humility as the only path. I'd rather win superbowls than sing kumbaya.

I don't see how his medicals "lose" him a job if he gives them to every team since he's already said he's giving them to only the teams he's interested in?   How does a team with no interest in drafting him sway the medical opinions of those who are interested?  

You can try to sell me on his arrogance, which is your assessment not mine, and ignoring coaching being a positive trait but it's my own personal dislike of working with people like that which, for this old man, isn't going to change.  Regardless of your McMahon example, elite arm talent and arrogance didn't work well for Jay Cutler.  Cockiness I'm ok with as I view that as a different trait of competitiveness versus the arrogance of putting one self above others.      

I like a little cockiness in my QB, but there has to be a balance.  For starters, it's a different era, with players having there own minds.  In the 70's through 2K, players were more coach centric to get leadership.  Now, it's kinda lead from within, with the me me factor.  In this era, the QB has to be in lockstep with coach.  Otherwise, the team could quickly implode.  Jimmy Mac would have to tone it down in this NFL.  Namath OTOH would be just fine, wearing his pantyhose and fur coats, while guaranteeing victory.

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don't see how his medicals "lose" him a job if he gives them to every team since he's already said he's giving them to only the teams he's interested in?   How does a team with no interest in drafting him sway the medical opinions of those who are interested?  

You can try to sell me on his arrogance, which is your assessment not mine, and ignoring coaching being a positive trait but it's my own personal dislike of working with people like that which, for this old man, isn't going to change.  Regardless of your McMahon example, elite arm talent and arrogance didn't work well for Jay Cutler.  Cockiness I'm ok with as I view that as a different trait of competitiveness versus the arrogance of putting one self above others.      

Oh youre right on both accounts.

First, medicals are not going to lose the job, I just meant that without them he's 100% pick #1, and with them, there is the scant possibility of something screwing it up. That's all, overcautious, not functionally a real issue at all.

And also I agree that if you dont deliver, then that arrogance wears thin REALLY fast, so you HAVE to back it up, but if he does, Im cool with it.