New Kickoff Rules for 2024

Pixote

I was just reading the new kickoff rules for the 2024 season. At first glance, it is quite a change. However, I think it will accomplish the goal of making kickoffs once again a vital part of special teams instead of an afterthought.

Here is a link to the story (and new rules) on NFL.com. (What do you guys think about the new rules?)

NFL owners pass new hybrid kickoff rule at Annual League Meeting

In summary, if the kickoff lands between the goal line and the twenty-yard line, it must be returned. However, the alignment of the players and the point of release are totally different. Special teams will have to spend a lot of time getting ready to take advantage of this new set of rules.

I'm anxious to see it in place. Kickoffs were once exciting. Then they made them totally blahh! (Thank God we enjoyed Hester's exciting returns before they screwed around with the kidkoff rules.) This might actually force me to watch kickoffs again instead of using it as a bathroom break. LOL

I like it.  I need to see it in action but this is a positive step forward and very appropriate considering Hester enters the HoF this year.  Maybe enough people finally watched his highlights and realized how exciting those plays were and how much they missed them.  

Agreed with making it a part of the game instead of an afterthought. I think why the changes occurred before had to do with player safety due to 'high speed impacts' etc.   But the NFL may have over compensated in this instance.  Glad to see they adjusting accordingly.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I like it.  I need to see it in action but this is a positive step forward and very appropriate considering Hester enters the HoF this year.  Maybe enough people finally watched his highlights and realized how exciting those plays were and how much they missed them.  

You can see it in the summer league, whatever it is called.  They adapted it off of their rules.

56 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

You can see it in the summer league, whatever it is called.  They adapted it off of their rules.

XFL.    But I still want to see it with NFL caliber athletes.   

I'm not sure how it's going to play out. I can imagine there will be a lot more trick plays like reverses and throwbacks.

It does basically kill the trick onside play, which is good because you get can get way too much value for a fluke. If you think your team is the stronger one, you dont want or need surprise onside kicks.

The good news is that apparently our own ST coach Hightower was one of the people pushing hardest for it, so he might have some stuff in mind about how to game this best.

We need a real kick returner now. I don't want Velus again. Maybe someone with a good arm who can throw to the other side, and runs really well in the open field. Damn! We shoulda kept Fields! LOL

(yeah I'm kidding, he'd never agree to be just a kick returner, and if he did, he'd be too expensive for that role. Hed probably be great at it though. I always thought of him as similar to Hester)

8 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I'm not sure how it's going to play out. I can imagine there will be a lot more trick plays like reverses and throwbacks.

It does basically kill the trick onside play, which is good because you get can get way too much value for a fluke. If you think your team is the stronger one, you dont want or need surprise onside kicks.

The good news is that apparently our own ST coach Hightower was one of the people pushing hardest for it, so he might have some stuff in mind about how to game this best.

We need a real kick returner now. I don't want Velus again. Maybe someone with a good arm who can throw to the other side, and runs really well in the open field. Damn! We shoulda kept Fields! LOL

(yeah I'm kidding, he'd never agree to be just a kick returner, and if he did, he'd be too expensive for that role. Hed probably be great at it though. I always thought of him as similar to Hester)

Fields has speed but not a lot of wiggle.  Neither does Patterson for that matter.  It's guys like Hester that are so damn slippery when they cut without losing speed.  

16 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Fields has speed but not a lot of wiggle.  Neither does Patterson for that matter.  It's guys like Hester that are so damn slippery when they cut without losing speed.  

I thought in 2022 that I saw Fields beat guys in the open field all the time. I agree he doesnt have wiggle, but he was able to abruptly change his line and accelerate and it seemed to be really hard to stop. Not so much of a juker as a cutter.

But back in reality, who is our kick returner? Scott?

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I thought in 2022 that I saw Fields beat guys in the open field all the time. I agree he doesnt have wiggle, but he was able to abruptly change his line and accelerate and it seemed to be really hard to stop. Not so much of a juker as a cutter.

But back in reality, who is our kick returner? Scott?

This is an excellent article on which Bear players might benefit from the new rule changes.

I was surprised there was no speculation on Dante Pettis. I know he was a punt returner, but with the new rules, would he be a possible kick returner? I don't recall him taking any reps as a KO returner but he might be a sleeper?

Bears Winners and Losers from Kickoff Return Rule Changes

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

This is an excellent article on which Bear players might benefit from the new rule changes.

I was surprised there was no speculation on Dante Pettis. I know he was a punt returner, but with the new rules, would he be a possible kick returner? I don't recall him taking any reps as a KO returner but he might be a sleeper?

Bears Winners and Losers from Kickoff Return Rule Changes

Good article, thanks.

I actually like chicagobears.com's article on the new kickoff rules better. It shows a graphic of the field, breaking down the various areas and possible alignments of players. It was much easier for me to visualize what we could expect.

New rules passed for 2024 NFL season

https://x.com/RapSheet/status/1772612546467369005?s=20

3 hours ago, CrackerDog said:

Pix, thanks.  I absolutely hated this when I first heard about it but have come around.  It’s putting the return game back in play but with hopefully fewer injuries and penalties.  Kickoffs have been boring as hell for too long.  

The only thing I hate about this new rule, is that I'm going to have to explain it to everyone I talk to...🤯

On 3/27/2024 at 5:05 PM, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I am excited - boring to watch a bunch of touch backs. I liked what the Steelers did bringing in Cordelle Patterson (ex Bear) too.  I also think this could be a positive as Velus is pretty athletic so maybe this helps him be a bit more valuable.  

This is perfect for Velus because he can muff the kick without any real risk of a turnover. Also, I think he would have more confidence knowing he wasn't going to immediately get hit after catching the ball. With his speed and shiftiness, he could be a secret weapon on these new kickoffs. 

47 minutes ago, adam said:

This is perfect for Velus because he can muff the kick without any real risk of a turnover. Also, I think he would have more confidence knowing he wasn't going to immediately get hit after catching the ball. With his speed and shiftiness, he could be a secret weapon on these new kickoffs. 

I'm so new to this rule, I must be missing something. Why is muffing less of a problem now? Isn't it still a fumble?

11 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I'm so new to this rule, I must be missing something. Why is muffing less of a problem now? Isn't it still a fumble?

The kickoff team can't move until the ball is caught or hits the ground, so if Velus does muff it, he will have a good 3-4 seconds to gather it up before having to worry about someone being in his face. 

22 minutes ago, adam said:

The kickoff team can't move until the ball is caught or hits the ground, so if Velus does muff it, he will have a good 3-4 seconds to gather it up before having to worry about someone being in his face. 

It's rare that someone mishandles a kickoff, let alone not have time to recover.  If we're talking punts, that's more like it.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's rare that someone mishandles a kickoff, let alone not have time to recover.  If we're talking punts, that's more like it.

Yeah, I am just saying with the spacing now, Velus doesn't have to worry about someone barreling down at him like a punt, but he will have the spacing of a punt from the kicking team to setup blocks and get up to full speed.

Thanks for answering adam, I'm not sure I agree, but I'll need to see this in action to see what the real word effects are. I suspect a lot of innovation, and hopefully that is to our advantage.