POLL: What would you do with the 1st rd pick?

madlithuanian

You're the GM, make the 1st rd pick...  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Your first round pick is....

• QB - we need a franchise QB
    • OL - time to re-build the line
    • LB - looking to replace Briggs and find the next #54
    • WR - we could lose Berrian and need better
    • RB- Benson's a bust, or at least needs to be pushed
    • trade down, if anyone will have it
    • Ohter position, please specify

Please add your actual pick's name if you feel so inclined. It looks like we may have a top 10 pick...or at least top 15.

Although I really want Laurinaitis from Ohio St as a LB, I somehow think he'll be gone with the Pat's taking him with SF's pick. So with that, I'm going for Rashard Mendenhall. I may be drinking a little Illinois kool-aid, but I like the guy's running style and attitude. I think he could become a very solid back.

But, I will take Laurinaitis if availalbe! (gotta love those Lithuanian linebackers! ...like Butkus!) :drink Sorry, I couldn't resist the comment.

...and I hope Brennan's available in the 2nd. ...then Jordy Nelson in the 3rd.

Although I really want Laurinaitis from Ohio St as a LB, I somehow think he'll be gone with the Pat's taking him with SF's pick. So with that, I'm going for Rashard Mendenhall. I may be drinking a little Illinois kool-aid, but I like the guy's running style and attitude. I think he could become a very solid back.

But, I will take Laurinaitis if availalbe! (gotta love those Lithuanian linebackers! ...like Butkus!) :drink Sorry, I couldn't resist the comment.

...and I hope Brennan's available in the 2nd. ...then Jordy Nelson in the 3rd.

You planning on addressing the o-line at some point????

To me, give the best tackle on the board. Since there are several that have 1st round grades, if you trade down a bit and get an additional 2nd then do. First and 2nd round we must address o-line and offensive skill positions.

Peace

I'd say O line but if there is somebody that somehow sneaks up to us like a McFadden or Kenny Phillips then I'm going with one of them.

Hello to everyone. Im new so here goes. Im hoping this site doesnt turn out to be a bash every bears player the other boards have turned into. But i would love me some McFadden :rolleyes:

Im really torn here I voted Running Back because i think if we jump in front of the Falcons we actually have a shot at Mcfadden who has the most talent in the draft. Jets being the Dark horse. This Draft is stacked with OT's at least 10 first day picks by my guess. If we stay where we are i would love to get a OT or if we get Faneca then I wouldn't mind us getting a Safety or RB like Kenny Phillps or Jonathan Stewart. JA's career depends on Faneca we are going to overpay and i wont cry about it.

You planning on addressing the o-line at some point????

To me, give the best tackle on the board. Since there are several that have 1st round grades, if you trade down a bit and get an additional 2nd then do. First and 2nd round we must address o-line and offensive skill positions.

Peace

Yep. Mostly in Free Agency. Or in the 3rd or 4th. I think we can find good replacements in FA...

I have no problem drafting OL high though.

Hello to everyone. Im new so here goes. Im hoping this site doesnt turn out to be a bash every bears player the other boards have turned into. But i would love me some McFadden :rolleyes:

Glad to have you here! I hope we don't bash every player! But some defeinitley deserve it!

I think to get McFadden, we'd have to trade up. Not that I'm opposed to it!

Im really torn here I voted Running Back because i think if we jump in front of the Falcons we actually have a shot at Mcfadden who has the most talent in the draft. Jets being the Dark horse. This Draft is stacked with OT's at least 10 first day picks by my guess. If we stay where we are i would love to get a OT or if we get Faneca then I wouldn't mind us getting a Safety or RB like Kenny Phillps or Jonathan Stewart. JA's career depends on Faneca we are going to overpay and i wont cry about it.

I hear ya! I guess I'm going for the "sexy" pick as O line usually isn't! Even though we've had issues drafting QB's and RB's...it's no reason to give up on it! We're in dire need! I tink we can get OL help in free agency as you mention.

I'd go with QB in the 1st and LT in the second, since we have a good shot at getting one of the top 3 QB's in the 1st, and this is a deep tackle class. However, if Jake Long is there when we pick (anywhere from 9-12 most likely), he is easily the pick. If we have a shot at Jake Long we shouldn't use more then half a minute of our 15 minutes to run up to the podium and select him... however, that is highly unlikely, but there is a small chance of it happening.

I voted trade down, and with the two picks gleaned from the trade down and the second rounder, I'd take two on the OL and a safety.

So I guess I should have said OL, but honestly, I don't think we should take OL that high unless a true stud is available.

The thing is, even true stud candidates sometimes bust in the NFL, so i like Angelo's usual tactic of picking multiple players for the same position, and letting the cream rise. This would be great to do with OL. I'd like to see THREE of them taken in this draft, two from the first four picks, and one later.

Also, re: RB - There are only a VERY few great RBs, and you can't tell who is going to be one from the draft (see Benson, Cedric). From the fourth best back in theleague to the fortieth, they all share a common trait: without holes they will gain nothing, and with big holes they will get yardage. Therefore, leave that skill player alone, and pick on the OL.A good Ol will make any RB servicable - certainly good enough to keep the chains moving, and that will open up the passing game. plus, good OL help there too.

OL is the obvious choice - the game is won and lost in the trenches, and our DL is pretty solid.

Also, unlike QBs, and WRs who come and go, break ankles and have good and bad years, if you build a great line, it will help the team for a decade to come.

Like it or not, a team with this OL and Payton Manning and Joseph Addai will win fewer games than Grossman and Benson would with a good OL.

Of course a good OL, AND a new QB & RB would be best, but that QB is coming from Free Agency, and not the draft, and with holes, Benson will be good enough for another year.

I'd pick the highest rated offensive lineman available in the 1st round, preferably a left tackle, but we could use new blood at either tackle or either guard position.

As the Bears proved in 2005, a team with mediocre quarterback play, bad receivers, and a decent running back can win if the o-line can hold up against a pass rush and create holes for a running back.

As the Bears proved in 2007, regardless of who your quarterback is, who your TEs & receivers are, or who your running back is, if the o-line can't pass protect or create holes in the running game, your offense is going nowhere.

If we get 2-3 GOOD new starting o-linemen, and our defense gets healthy, we could win 10-11 games next year with the exact same skill position players we had this season. That's not to say we shouldn't upgrade the skill positions, but simply that improving the o-line is the single most important thing Angelo can do to ensure the Bears are competitive in 2008.

If McFadden (or Orange Jesus if we get him) falls to us, I think we'd have to take him even with our biggest need being O-Line. He really has it all: size, speed, elusiveness, cut-back ability, everything. When he runs, he kind of "glides" out there. Looks so smooth. And, since we're lucky that this is an extremely deep OT class, we can find a guy capable of starting in the 2nd round. I mean, the Colts did get their starting rookie LT (Tony Ugoh) in the 2nd round last year, and he has played very well.

And in the case of us not getting McFadden (which I don't think we will), we should draft an OT. Or at least trade down and get extra picks, while still drafting an OT in the 1st. It all starts up front. We need to re-build this O-line to compete next year.

My best case scenario:

1- McFadden

2- Best OT left (Hills/Williams/Cousins)

3- S or best OG available

3- S or best OG available

My most likely scenario:

1- Clady/Oher/Otah

2- OG (Eric Young, Tennessee?) or another OT (Chris Williams, Tony Hills, Oniel Cousins, Barry Richardson)

3- D.J. Hall

3- Barrett/Steltz/Hefney

Basically, my thinking with this scenario is that we take two top O-lineman and let them figure out where they'll play. For instance, Oher could play OG, if Hills were to show he was a very good LT. If this was our O-line next year, I'd be pretty excited b/c even if they were young, it would be very talented:

LT- 1st round pick

LG- Young/St. Clair/FA

C- Kreutz

RG- Garza/St. Clair/FA

RT- Tait

I agree that we need to improve our offense or the super bowl window which is a faint draft will be sealed for years as we will have to rebuild. This team can not compete as good as we are when our DEF is when healthy with the elite teams in this league. Our biggest needs are OL (quick fix through FA), Draft RB, OL, S, QB, WR, LB with the best player available and stop reaching for picks. Wolfe, Bauzin, Okwo....with the second pick last year we could had an opportunity to draft to a good OT or G prospect that could have been developed this year for next. While I like Wolfe as a 3rd Dn Back and Okwo/Bauzin have not played I think we may have reached early on them.

Playes that need to be gone next season: RM Jr., Greise, Miller, Metcalf, Arch & possibly Benson depending on the Draft.

I agree that Rex is to young to give up on. We need to atleast five him an OL and a running game. I would also say we should Draft a QB as well. There are several I would take a flyer on if a aviable in the 3rd or 4th like Colt Brennan. I started watching him this year and he is fearless, has good footwork, mobile, quick release and nice accuracy. I also like his WR - Rivers.