Butkus/Sayers Draft ~> Williams/Odunze Draft

adam

I feel like this draft is going to be the most impactful draft since Payton and or the Butkus Sayers draft. The difference is the Bears' teams back then sucked. The Bears are adding to a 7-win team that lost 3 games they should not have, and now added two top 10 players.

Comparing Odunze to guys like JSN and Olave, I actually prefer Odunze over those guys. He is going to learn so much from Moore and Allen. 

Bookmark this thread and come back next January when the Bears are playing in the playoffs.

Odunze has legit long speed.  The route running.   But compared to those two he’s really ahead in terms of being a redzone target.  I think he’s better at catching jump balls than MHJ.    

54 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Odunze has legit long speed.  The route running.   But compared to those two he’s really ahead in terms of being a redzone target.  I think he’s better at catching jump balls than MHJ.    

I think any or all  of the first 3 WRs can be all pro types. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

I feel like this draft is going to be the most impactful draft since Payton and or the Butkus Sayers draft. The difference is the Bears' teams back then sucked. The Bears are adding to a 7-win team that lost 3 games they should not have, and now added two top 10 players.

Comparing Odunze to guys like JSN and Olave, I actually prefer Odunze over those guys. He is going to learn so much from Moore and Allen. 

Bookmark this thread and come back next January when the Bears are playing in the playoffs.

DUDE!  Yes!  It is a dream scenario!  yes, we must see it play out...but given all we've had to deal with over the decades...this feels GOOD!

2 hours ago, adam said:

I think you might be right!  What a great time to be a Bears fan.  I think I have to buy Dazn

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

He reminds me of Cris Carter.  Hopefully, he has the dog in him that Carter had.

30 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

He reminds me of Cris Carter.  Hopefully, he has the dog in him that Carter had.

I think Williams will bring out the dog (more) in everyone by setting an example of hyper-competitiveness.

I learned so much about Williams' character and personal style yesterday, and I couldn't be happier.

I made a post on FB about the picks and my acquaintances are a bunch of sour pusses.  They don't want to believe the Bears made this great of draft.  Some think this is another Trubisky/Fields song and dance, which sure it can be, but they don't pay close attention to drafts like we do.  

I gave them a they better jump on the wagon now because if they jump on late I will revist that post and haunt them. 

Great start and still some players we can get round 3.  I will have to follow online tonight since I am going to a concert. 

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think Williams will bring out the dog (more) in everyone by setting an example of hyper-competitiveness.

I learned so much about Williams' character and personal style yesterday, and I couldn't be happier.

I truly believe Williams has matured over the last six months.  I also believe he wasn’t sold on Chicago.   He stated clearly that he had a really good 30 visit and since then, even in the media, he has been more upbeat about playing there.  I can’t blame him for thinking about  the possibility of playing in his home town, and even wanting that to happen.  Poles, Flus, the staff, and his new teammates did a solid job recruiting him.  That showed thru loud and clear when he hit the stage.   I think they gave him some perspective too on how to handle himself. Jaylon was clear about leaving all the Hollywood stuff behind.    

The only thing that has been able to wipe the smile off my face today is work related shenanigans and stress.  What a good time to be a Bears fan!   This somehow doesn't even seem real!  We all knew #1 was a formality and Williams was going to be our new QB, and that our draft really started at #9.   most of the top 8 picks were predictable.  Chargers was one of my wild cards, because they no longer have Kenan Allen (thank you Poles) or Mike Williams I had a feeling it'd be either WR or OL.  I would have liked Alt here but turns out we'd have had to come up too far for him.  The pick that ultimately sealed it and made it possible to take Rome at 9 was Atlanta taking Penix...  Thank you Atlanta for being dumb.  Once that happened I'm sure Poles couldn't wait to send the card in!

Some random thoughts on the Bears first round.  

Poles didn't get cute or try to be the smartest man in the room.  He made the logical choice.  We've all grown tired of anticipating our pick and seeing talent fall to us, only to see our GM reach for someone leaving us fans scratching our head while we watch the guys we want get snatched up by the teams after our pick.   He also stood pat at #9. I wasn't sure what we'd see if he'd move down, because there were definitely going to be good options at #9.  I wasn't sure if we'd move up a few spots to take a guy like Alt, or Latham.  

I was surprised at how few trades took place in the first especially in the top half of the 1st.  A lot of teams were patient and stood pat.  Even the trade up for the Vikings was only one spot to ensure they got McCarthy.   I would have absolutely laughed my butt off if the Jets had stuck with the #10 pick and took McCarthy just to burn Rodger's arrogant ars.  LOL. 

The Raiders actually made a smart 1st round pick, who'da thunk that would ever happen lol.   Guess the blind squirrel does find a nut once in a while.  Though Bowers may have to learn to throw the ball to himself.

6QB's going in the top 12 is insane, and the Colts were the first team at 15 to take a defensive player.  

There were a few head scratcher picks made and it wasn't the Bears making one of those picks.

Daniel Jones is probably breathing sigh of relief. LOL at least after round 1

Overall it's crazy to look at the current roster compared to when Poles took over and how he's changed and constructed this team, and we still have 6 more rounds of the draft and post draft UDFA and FA before camps start.  Is it August yet???  This is shaping up to be a franchise altering offseason.  There is an absurd amount of talent and weapons around Williams to start his career.  In Poles we finally have a GM constructing a roster for the modern NFL, not a meatball GM living in the past or catering to that mentality.  Let's go!  Bear Down!!!

40 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

The only thing that has been able to wipe the smile off my face today is work related shenanigans and stress.  What a good time to be a Bears fan!

Poles didn't get cute or try to be the smartest man in the room.  We've all grown tired of anticipating our pick and seeing talent fall to us, only to see our GM reach for someone leaving us fans scratching our head while we watch the guys we want get snatched up by the teams after our pick.   He also stood pat at #9. I wasn't sure what we'd see if he'd move down, because there were definitely going to be good options at #9.  I wasn't sure if we'd move up a few spots to take a guy like Alt, or Latham. 

In Poles we finally have a GM constructing a roster for the modern NFL, not a meatball GM living in the past or catering to that mentality.  Let's go!  Bear Down!!!

Well said. I agree with it all.

I did hear in the post draft presser with Poles (and he said it twice!) that they had to talk him out of trading UP for Odunze.

Awesome.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:02 AM, adam said:

How about that '83 draft Covert, Gault, Duerson, Bortz and Dent ? Two HOF and all starters plus Thayer was in this draft but went to the USFL.