JA intends on bringing Rex back

Da Bears 88

Bears GM Jerry Angelo reiterated on Thursday the team's intentions to bring back impending free agent Rex Grossman for the 2008 season.

Angelo wants Rex back to compete to start. "It's got to be competition," Angelo said. "I don't see us right now doing anything. Somebody's got to be first in line, obviously but that will be determined in the offseason." Grossman is likely to get another chance to prove himself on a short-term deal.

Orton did prove to me he deserves a shot to be the starter but Ive said all along I think Rex is the best qb we have and if they can bring in offensive help I would like to see him get a shot to succeed here.

Orton just appears smarter on the field...yea maybe he doesn't have the deep ball ability as much as Rex, but Kyle understands the concept of stepping up in the pocket and throwing the ball away when he is outside the pocket....Rex only understands running 20 yards backwards then taking the sack...

Orton just appears smarter on the field...yea maybe he doesn't have the deep ball ability as much as Rex, but Kyle understands the concept of stepping up in the pocket and throwing the ball away when he is outside the pocket....Rex only understands running 20 yards backwards then taking the sack...

I agree with you on that DaBearSox. Kyle seems to be a bit more careful with the ball and a bit more elllusive (though not by much). I'd like it if we did resign Rex, but IMdO, there's going to be alot of money moving out there to entice him. And I don't see JA breaking the bank to keep Rex. But we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. This offseason is going to be big in determining whether or not we are competitive next year.

I'd be stunned if Rex got a big money contract. No one is going to openly offer him the starting job and at that point he and the Bears know it is better off for him to come back to Chicago where he knows the system and knows that the coaching staff believes in him and that he will end up getting a fair shake in the competition.

I like it too because the competition will hopefully make both guys better.

I'd be stunned if Rex got a big money contract. No one is going to openly offer him the starting job and at that point he and the Bears know it is better off for him to come back to Chicago where he knows the system and knows that the coaching staff believes in him and that he will end up getting a fair shake in the competition.

I like it too because the competition will hopefully make both guys better.

I know the logic, and I hope it works that way, but we all know about "a perfect world"! :unsure:

Good. I hope like hell we sign him. It's not that I think he's that great, but Griese appears to be done, Orton looks like a good #2, and the only guy who has the potential to be a top tier QB is Rex.

What's bad is Rex will arguably be the best FA QB out there. Derek Anderson is likely to be franchised. The other turd QB's available include Dante Culpepper, Josh McNown, and Quinn Early (whoever the hell that is . . . he's from Jacksonville and probably has Jonathon Quinn ability.)

There's no way we can count on any rookie. It's in our best interest to bring Rex back.

They won't franchise Anderson...he's a restricted free agent, so they will get picks if he's signed away. And based on how many teams covet him, the contract will be big, and the picks will be high. I know we need a QB, but he really the answer? Look at how that team has been built. #6 overall in 2004 (Winslow). #3 overall in 2005 (Edwards, who I really was hoping would fall to us). #3 overall in 2007 (Thomas). Top FA OG in 2007 (Steinbach). They had speed and talent on the outside, and then rebuilt the left side of their line in one offseason. Pretty good formula for a QB's success...

Most teams that do well build from the line back, and take talent when it's available. I don't think any WR or QB in this draft warrants the #14 pick, so we should build a foundation this year and look to be a contender again in 09.

There is no reason to not bring Rex back. We know we can get him cheap because his stock is about as low as it can be between the injuries and inconsistent play. Like others have said he knows the offense.

If he can build off of what he was doing since the Oakland game he can really be effective. We all knew he had the arm but he was actually getting better at reading defenses and checking down and taking less risks. He had us in the position to win every game and if our defense was healthy it would have been more than enough.

His pocket presence and ability to read the rush needs improvement but it may come with time.

If that doesnt work out Orton has shown he is capable of being an NFL qb.

Most teams that do well build from the line back, and take talent when it's available. I don't think any WR or QB in this draft warrants the #14 pick, so we should build a foundation this year and look to be a contender again in 09.

I think that's an excellent point. We are going to draft from need, but also BPA. I think we can get a QB after rd. one. WR seems to be a difficult position to find from what I've read--either through FA or the draft. I won't be all that surprised to see us take a OL or DB with the 14th pick. Or trade out.

There is no reason to not bring Rex back. We know we can get him cheap because his stock is about as low as it can be between the injuries and inconsistent play. Like others have said he knows the offense.

If that doesnt work out Orton has shown he is capable of being an NFL qb.

We have more reasons to keep Rex than cut him. If we let him go, he's going to Minny to start. He is so much better than what they have. Could you imagine that line and RB duo and Rex's ability to hit the seam, deep out and fly. Play action will be sick and Minny becomes contenders. While I'll say I like Orton better, we simply need to sign Rex to keep hin out of enemy hands. They have money to sign Berrian too.

I have serious doubts that if Rex is brought back, there will be a real competition. I have a feeling it would just be some smoke and mirrors and Rex will be named starter no matter how good Orton looks.

I think Orton will get a serious shot, but if Rex plays/practices at a high level he will be the guy because he has the better skill set. However, Orton really seemed to impress Lovie and a lot of the Bears brass and I know he opened my eyes quite a bit, especially by the way he seemed to really feel the pass rush and make things happen.

Kyle definitely has the worse tool-set but that doesn't mean he can't be an above average QB in this league and I for one will be excited to see the two battle things out in training camp. However, once a starter is named I want them to get every opportunity to succeed without having to completely look over there shoulder cause the last thing I want to see is Kyle for 2 games, Rex for 2 games and just a steady back and forth between the two.

I hope the only way this happens is with an incentive laden contract. Otherwise they need to cut Griese and bring in a rookie to groom.

If we bring him back, I hope it is CHEAP!! I do not mind giving him a shot as long as we get a legitimate QB to contend with him and Orton for the #1 spot and we do not get suckered into a big contract for a QB on the bubble.