THE DRAFT and FA

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

DRAFT

At pick #14 we have the chance at some fantastic players. My favorite is Kenny Phillips, we have no safeties. Also, tho it wont happen a RB like John Stewart or Mendenhall would be great. NO FRIGGIN OL. Also, i have a feeling we may select a QB if woodson is still there.

If we have a chance at some of the players mentioned and we take some OL im gonna flip. If u use a high pick on an OL and they suck, and to me they are all pretty much the same, he is useless. Cant play any other positions or special teams.Drafting OL that high is stupid. There are always guys under 30 on FA. Most of them are proven starters and can be plugged in. Notice how we only have 1 OL who we originally drafted.

THIS TEAM NEEDS TALENT

Free Agency

The two guards from pittsburg are available for probably a good price and they are young.

I think we need to sign berrian or franchise him.

I also think briggs is too good to let go.

Rex - 2 year deal for less than average price

My ideal draft

Rd1 - Kenny Phillips

Rd2 - Mario Manningham

Rd3 - OL or Best QB available (Brennan if hes there)

Rd4 - DL

Rd5 - DL/OL

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You best line, "Notice how we only have 1 OL who we originally drafted."

Yea, we noticed. And did you notice how our OL sucks? You can buy an OL, but usually it is a short term deal. You say it is stupid to draft OL. I say it is stupid to belittle the value of OL. Talk about QBs and RBs all you want, but w/o a quality OL, those players will more likely than not look like shit.

Sorry, but it is mind boggling that you think so little about drafting OL. Further, you then go on to talk about "the two guards from pittsburgh being available, for a good price and young." Sorry, but this only goes to prove how little you understand. Faneca (who I am personally screaming for) is not considered young (about 30), and as for good price? Did you see what Hutch signed for w/ Minny? Faneca will not get that, but will be closer than not. You could probably come close to signing Briggs for what it will take to get Faneca.

Also kills me that you think Briggs is too good to let go, but want to buy an OL.

I would go a couple beyond that.

While I agree you find OL (outside LT) in FA, look at what they are going for. There was a time when OGs and RTs were simply not that expensive. The best at their respective position did not come close to the deals many (most) other positions got. Recently though, OL all over have seen a huge push in salary.

Once, your LDE was a power, run stopping DE. Then, more and more, you started to see speed LDEs that would rip past the big boy RTs. That began the increase in the pay of RTs, like when we signed Tait.

Kreutz was paid very nicely, and since, numerous other centers are banking.

Hutch got a deal from Minny that caused many to laugh. Well, few are still laughing as Minny runs on most any. The deal Hutch got was similar to what top tier LTs got not long ago.

So while you can get OL (other than LTs) in FA, it is not as easy, or as cheap, as it once was.

With the 1st round pick, we need to draft at the position where that player can contribute immediately while upgrading that position at the same time.

If we draft Woodson, is he going to help us in 2008? Probably not. I wouldn't mind drafting him if we acquired 2 O-Linemen via FA. Otherwise we need to draft a couple of OL within the first couple of picks.

Phillips would be a great pick because he would contribute immediately and upgrade the position.

DRAFT

At pick #14 we have the chance at some fantastic players. My favorite is Kenny Phillips, we have no safeties. Also, tho it wont happen a RB like John Stewart or Mendenhall would be great. NO FRIGGIN OL. Also, i have a feeling we may select a QB if woodson is still there.

If we have a chance at some of the players mentioned and we take some OL im gonna flip. If u use a high pick on an OL and they suck, and to me they are all pretty much the same, he is useless. Cant play any other positions or special teams.Drafting OL that high is stupid. There are always guys under 30 on FA. Most of them are proven starters and can be plugged in. Notice how we only have 1 OL who we originally drafted.

THIS TEAM NEEDS TALENT

Free Agency

The two guards from pittsburg are available for probably a good price and they are young.

I think we need to sign berrian or franchise him.

I also think briggs is too good to let go.

Rex - 2 year deal for less than average price

My ideal draft

Rd1 - Kenny Phillips

Rd2 - Mario Manningham

Rd3 - OL or Best QB available (Brennan if hes there)

Rd4 - DL

Rd5 - DL/OL

Yeah, by all means, lets draft some more "playmakers" who will be a waste behind the worst line in the league.

We have talent. We just can't give them time to do anything.

DRAFT O-LINEMEN

You best line, "Notice how we only have 1 OL who we originally drafted."

Yea, we noticed. And did you notice how our OL sucks? You can buy an OL, but usually it is a short term deal. You say it is stupid to draft OL. I say it is stupid to belittle the value of OL. Talk about QBs and RBs all you want, but w/o a quality OL, those players will more likely than not look like shit.

Sorry, but it is mind boggling that you think so little about drafting OL. Further, you then go on to talk about "the two guards from pittsburgh being available, for a good price and young." Sorry, but this only goes to prove how little you understand. Faneca (who I am personally screaming for) is not considered young (about 30), and as for good price? Did you see what Hutch signed for w/ Minny? Faneca will not get that, but will be closer than not. You could probably come close to signing Briggs for what it will take to get Faneca.

Also kills me that you think Briggs is too good to let go, but want to buy an OL.

I agree 100%. We have to fix the O-line. Draft a LT and pray he is the starter for the next 10 yrs. Get a OG in FA - (Faneca is the obvious choice).

Peace :bears

I disagree that OLine will contribute any sooner than a QB from the draft. They need time to develop, very few are solid additions their first year.

In fact, with the shake up people are wanting with the line even veteran additions will take time. A line can take a year or 2 to "gel" in itself when this many additions are expected.

I disagree that OLine will contribute any sooner than a QB from the draft. They need time to develop, very few are solid additions their first year.

In fact, with the shake up people are wanting with the line even veteran additions will take time. A line can take a year or 2 to "gel" in itself when this many additions are expected.

It is much easier for an offensive lineman to adjust to the NFL than a qb. In fact, qb is by far the hardest position to progress in. How often do you see a qb immediately have an impact like Thomas this year.

Anything can improve the worst line in the league.

Anything can improve the worst line in the league.

I think that's overestimating the problem. Chicago gave up a ton of sacks last year, 24th in the league (where 31st is the worst), but teams like the 9ers and KC were quite a bit worse in that. They were the worst in rushing YPC though, so it's not overestimating it by much.

I agree 100%. We have to fix the O-line. Draft a LT and pray he is the starter for the next 10 yrs. Get a OG in FA - (Faneca is the obvious choice).

Peace :bears

I would also feel better seeing OL be the top priority in the Draft. LT is amust. We can keep the kid around for a ong time and can also move Tait back to the right. It is damn tough to find a team that will let a good LT get away from them via FA. If an LT is there at 14 and he is promising, I say take him. OL is where offensive success begins.

Guest TerraTor

There is no talent on the offensive side of the ball. How can anyone say these OT are elite? Remember a few cant misses over the past couple drafts... Robert Gallery (doesnt even play).. Dbrickshaw Ferguson (dont see the jets running too well)..

Its the same OL from last season, just a year older (which of course affects it). But its the lack of playmakers on the offense, See also Thomas Jones......

Theres no reason to take OL that high, i dont care what anyone says. Tho i respect ur opinions, dont say i know so little about football. :bang

In case no one was watching this team sucks. In stead of just being faithful, you gotta come to grips with reality after so long. We need talent. Heres my personal thoughts on where we need it.

S - Danny Manning is the worst player on the team. Mike Brown is unfortunately done, it sucks cuz hes the man.

RB - Benson

WR - Berrian wont sign, either franchise him or gottadraft more speed. Bradley, not a starter, but i like the guy.

OL - Fred Miller done, Ruben Brown, done

QB - dont even know what to say, a rookie at 14 doesnt help us now.

There is no talent on the offensive side of the ball. How can anyone say these OT are elite? Remember a few cant misses over the past couple drafts... Robert Gallery (doesnt even play).. Dbrickshaw Ferguson (dont see the jets running too well)..

Its the same OL from last season, just a year older (which of course affects it). But its the lack of playmakers on the offense, See also Thomas Jones......

Theres no reason to take OL that high, i dont care what anyone says. Tho i respect ur opinions, dont say i know so little about football. :bang

In case no one was watching this team sucks. In stead of just being faithful, you gotta come to grips with reality after so long. We need talent. Heres my personal thoughts on where we need it.

S - Danny Manning is the worst player on the team. Mike Brown is unfortunately done, it sucks cuz hes the man.

RB - Benson

WR - Berrian wont sign, either franchise him or gottadraft more speed. Bradley, not a starter, but i like the guy.

OL - Fred Miller done, Ruben Brown, done

QB - dont even know what to say, a rookie at 14 doesnt help us now.

Ya Danny Manning is bad. He hasnt been the same since he left the Suns.

Hey Terra, I'm only gonna tell you this once, and if you don't get it, it's hopeless. The most import position in all of football is the OLine. Think about it, you CANNOT do anything without an offensive line. With no offensive line how is anything supposed to happen? OLine make things happen. And while yes, there has been some busts on the OLine, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken early. OLinemen, believe it or not, do have talent. I think it takes some talent to be 300+ lbs and have the type of quickness and athleticism some of these OLinemen have. Just look at the Browns, they went from garbage to one of the better teams in the league due to the complete overhaul of their line.

By the way, Gallery and D'Brick might not be the elite prospects we thought they were when they first got drafted, but Gallery, while is a bust, has turned into a solid linemen. And D'Brick isn't a bust, he is still one of the better LT in the NFL. Just because he isn't elite doesn't make him a bust. I'd gladly have him as our LT. One guy doesn't make an OLine.

Your statement has some validity.

Look at the positions listing in the hall of fame. One could extrapolate that OL is the most important position given the numbers of inductees...

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.html

I think we could still debate on when particular ones should be drafted...but your overall point of OL being the most important position on the field certainly looks to have merit.

Hey Terra, I'm only gonna tell you this once, and if you don't get it, it's hopeless. The most import position in all of football is the OLine. Think about it, you CANNOT do anything without an offensive line. With no offensive line how is anything supposed to happen? OLine make things happen. And while yes, there has been some busts on the OLine, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken early. OLinemen, believe it or not, do have talent. I think it takes some talent to be 300+ lbs and have the type of quickness and athleticism some of these OLinemen have. Just look at the Browns, they went from garbage to one of the better teams in the league due to the complete overhaul of their line.

By the way, Gallery and D'Brick might not be the elite prospects we thought they were when they first got drafted, but Gallery, while is a bust, has turned into a solid linemen. And D'Brick isn't a bust, he is still one of the better LT in the NFL. Just because he isn't elite doesn't make him a bust. I'd gladly have him as our LT. One guy doesn't make an OLine.

Offensive lineman may not be exciting to draft but they can have just as big an impact as any other position and that is where the Bears need the most help. With the exception of Phillips falling to us I think O line should be a slam dunk pick.

Furthermore, this is so far considered to be a very strong draft for O-Linemen, with potentially several LT's projected to go in the top 20. In other words, not only do the Bears have a need for O-Line, they should be able to grab a guy at a weak position without having to draft based on need. Unless 5 LT's go before the Bears pick, then the Bears can pick O-Line and they will literally not be stretching to take a guy at a position of weakness...they'd be taking a guy where he belongs in the draft anyway.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Cheers to you, my friend. :headbang :cheers

If we make some pick ups in Free agency we can go in different directions at number 1. We dont have a WR on this team in fact the number one FA WR is coming from our team. If we get OL help in free agency then i dont want us picking a OL in the 1st round, we can get better value at other positions. I might be wrong but i dont think theres that many Free agent OL who were big busts.