THE DRAFT and FA

Guest TerraTor

If we make some pick ups in Free agency we can go in different directions at number 1. We dont have a WR on this team in fact the number one FA WR is coming from our team. If we get OL help in free agency then i dont want us picking a OL in the 1st round, we can get better value at other positions. I might be wrong but i dont think theres that many Free agent OL who were big busts.

Exactly. If we get Faneca, then I think we go Kenny Phillips or QB (Woodson or Brohm) at 14. Then, with our 2nd pick, we go OL, and with our 1st 3rd round pick, we go OL. If we take Phillips with pick 14, then with our 2nd 3rd rounder, we go Flacco, or another QB. However, if we go QB at 14, then we go S or WR at this pick.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. If we get Faneca, then I think we go Kenny Phillips or QB (Woodson or Brohm) at 14. Then, with our 2nd pick, we go OL, and with our 1st 3rd round pick, we go OL. If we take Phillips with pick 14, then with our 2nd 3rd rounder, we go Flacco, or another QB. However, if we go QB at 14, then we go S or WR at this pick.

I think Kenny Phillips is gone but if we get Faneca my top three would be

Stewart

Phillips

Woodson or Brohm

Dark Horse WR Malcom Kelly

In that order

I definitely see us taking a WR at some point but i really doubt it would be with our first or second rounders. We need our first two picks to be able to step in and contribute immediately and WRs rarely do. There also arent too many high profile guys in the draft worth gambling on. I really think we are gonna go o line and than something on defense, either safety or DT.

DRAFT

If we have a chance at some of the players mentioned and we take some OL im gonna flip. If u use a high pick on an OL and they suck, and to me they are all pretty much the same, he is useless. Cant play any other positions or special teams.Drafting OL that high is stupid. There are always guys under 30 on FA. Most of them are proven starters and can be plugged in. ""Notice how we only have 1 OL who we originally drafted.""

How's that last part been working out lately??? Drafting OL is a priority. Nuf said.

How's that last part been working out lately??? Drafting OL is a priority. Nuf said.

Absolutely,

If you think about it, WITHOUT ANY OTHER CHANGES, if we had upgraded the two guard positions and the RT position the Bears would have been in the playoffs this year.

I truly believe that

Even if we get Faneca, we need at least two linemen in the top three rounds of the draft, period.

Absolutely,

If you think about it, WITHOUT ANY OTHER CHANGES, if we had upgraded the two guard positions and the RT position the Bears would have been in the playoffs this year.

I truly believe that

Even if we get Faneca, we need at least two linemen in the top three rounds of the draft, period.

Yeah we will have the best line in the League with nobody to throw or catch or run the ball. Great line turn's below average QB's, RB's and WR's (Which is what we have) into average players not great ones. We need to get a blend not load up on Olineman. Ask yourself what was the strength of the offense this season. Tait, Kruetz are like the best players on the offense we have no one worth anything at the skill positions. Berrian wants #1 money but has never caught 100 balls or 1000 yards or even 10 TD's we are very lacking at the skill position.

You know? I still want to let Grossman keep the job. And yes give him more time to make passes. Teach him to step up in the pocket and not keep falling back when being sacked.

And our defense is pretty good. not as good as 2 years ago but urlacher is great leadership. umm our running game slacked off last year maybe b/c injuries? or bad O-line.

and i liked when they used hester for a few recieving plays. let him run some routes during practices or play whatever positions he's willing to try.

overall i'm still a committed bears fan. we had a troubled cursed season. next year we come back strong as ever. stop doubting these guys

Yeah we will have the best line in the League with nobody to throw or catch or run the ball. Great line turn's below average QB's, RB's and WR's (Which is what we have) into average players not great ones. We need to get a blend not load up on Olineman. Ask yourself what was the strength of the offense this season. Tait, Kruetz are like the best players on the offense we have no one worth anything at the skill positions. Berrian wants #1 money but has never caught 100 balls or 1000 yards or even 10 TD's we are very lacking at the skill position.

Im sure everybody agrees that we need more skill position players but without improving the offensive line they wont be able to do anything either. Ive been on board saying they need new WRs and a RB for a while but there isnt anyone out there were gonna be able to get that is going to be able to overcome the o line issues we have.

We need to replace 2 offensive lineman this offseason and then upgrade our skill positions. The offensive line, however, must be addressed.

Peace :bears

We need to replace 2 offensive lineman this offseason and then upgrade our skill positions. The offensive line, however, must be addressed.

Peace :bears

I understand that Brown and Miller need to be replaced but at the same time you have to look at the market. It is a weak skill position free agent market but there are available OLineman that could upgrade this team. Best free agent QB, Rex Grossman WR, Benard Berrian we are trying to up grade from these guys but in FA you have guys like (Faneca, Gross, Wharton, Lija and Starks) all who are upgrades for our team. I dont see how we can draft OL at high priority when we have a lot holes and this is decent FA market to get Olineman but not to get skill position players.

I understand that Brown and Miller need to be replaced but at the same time you have to look at the market. It is a weak skill position free agent market but there are available OLineman that could upgrade this team. Best free agent QB, Rex Grossman WR, Benard Berrian we are trying to up grade from these guys but in FA you have guys like (Faneca, Gross, Wharton, Lija and Starks) all who are upgrades for our team. I dont see how we can draft OL at high priority when we have a lot holes and this is decent FA market to get Olineman but not to get skill position players.

The trouble with that line of thinking is that...this is also, from everything I've read, expected to be a particularly strong draft for O-Linemen, but may well be lacking at exactly those skilled positions that you say we should be drafting. There's some decent strength at RB even though we've already got a lot of cap space tied up at that spot, but QB, WR, TE etc., are supposedly fairly weak. This is a great draft to be in the top 15 and in need of drafting an O-Linemen because they should be available.

The trouble with that line of thinking is that...this is also, from everything I've read, expected to be a particularly strong draft for O-Linemen, but may well be lacking at exactly those skilled positions that you say we should be drafting. There's some decent strength at RB even though we've already got a lot of cap space tied up at that spot, but QB, WR, TE etc., are supposedly fairly weak. This is a great draft to be in the top 15 and in need of drafting an O-Linemen because they should be available.

The O-Line depth also allows you to trade down in the 1st and still pick up a quality pick. Someone is always there looking to move up to get their guy. I would be ecstatic with a trade down into the 20's while picking up a late 2nd rounder. We would then have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

If we somehow wound up with a Kenny Phillips, Mendenhall, Brennan draft I would be stoked!

Great so we can see everyone turn on Mendenhall when he gets hit half the time in the backfield and they will say he is a bust and Brennan will be the next Grossman who is scared to take a snapped without getting the crap kicked out of him.

Let's say Phillips isn't there at 14, and Otah has a good combine, but not what many expect, therefore, we are turned off by him at 14. I think we should then trade our pick to a team in the 25 range, get their pick, and their 2nd round pick. We don't pick too well in the first round anyway, so then we'd have 1 1st rounder, 2 2nd rounders, and 2 3rd rounders- that's 5 picks in 3 rounds, including 4 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, where we get our better players.

Thoughts?

The O-Line depth also allows you to trade down in the 1st and still pick up a quality pick. Someone is always there looking to move up to get their guy. I would be ecstatic with a trade down into the 20's while picking up a late 2nd rounder. We would then have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Totally agree! This draft is rumored to one of the deepest in years. Especially, with a record amount of underclassmen declaring. With five picks in the 1st 3 rounds, I'd expect 2 OL and 3 BPA.

I posted my last post w/o even seeing this. Looks like great minds think alike :cheers

Totally agree! This draft is rumored to one of the deepest in years. Especially, with a record amount of underclassmen declaring. With five picks in the 1st 3 rounds, I'd expect 2 OL and 3 BPA.

2 OL, 1 RB, 1 WR, and 1 QB

With the remaining 4 picks, we get another WR, another OL, a S, and maybe a FB?

2 OL, 1 RB, 1 WR, and 1 QB

With the remaining 4 picks, we get another WR, another OL, a S, and maybe a FB?

Well if we are going to play let's make a wish then why not trade that late round 1st we obtained when trading down and get a 2nd & 3rd for that selection? That would give us 3 2nd rounders and 3 3rd rounders, correct? Then we could add a top prospect at safety as well so that by the time the first 3 rounds are over we will have OT, OT/G, QB, RB, WR, Safety.

It is fun to speculate and I am sure Angelo would love this scenerio however it takes two to tango and two GMs to make a trade and just as I understand Angelo wanted to do some trading last year with a few spots and was unable to find a dance partner, there is no guarantee that JA won't wind up a wall flower standing over by the punch bowl filled with Bears kool-aid and watching as the draft continues to play on.

I think it also worth adding that, while there are players available in FA that very well should upgrade our OL, I have not seen the LTs available. That is a position far harder to address in FA, and if you want a franchise LT, you usually have to find him in the draft.

I might agree w/ not drafting OL in the 1st if we were talking about an OG or RT, as I believe we can get very good players in FA, but the OTs I am looking at in the draft may well be that LT we have searched for for years, which would also allow us to move Tait back to RT, thus upgrading two positions at once. Add in Faneca, and we have potentially a stud OL again.

I think it also worth adding that, while there are players available in FA that very well should upgrade our OL, I have not seen the LTs available. That is a position far harder to address in FA, and if you want a franchise LT, you usually have to find him in the draft.

I might agree w/ not drafting OL in the 1st if we were talking about an OG or RT, as I believe we can get very good players in FA, but the OTs I am looking at in the draft may well be that LT we have searched for for years, which would also allow us to move Tait back to RT, thus upgrading two positions at once. Add in Faneca, and we have potentially a stud OL again.

I agree that you will likely have to draft a franchise quality LOT because unless you are very lucky and pick up a LOT in FA that has yet to prove himself and he turns it around you will not find a proven LOT in FA without giving up the farm for him. Now ROT, OG, & C are different, they can be found after round 1, but if we want that difference maker at LOT we better pray one of the top ones are available when the Bears select in round 1.

I agree that you will likely have to draft a franchise quality LOT because unless you are very lucky and pick up a LOT in FA that has yet to prove himself and he turns it around you will not find a proven LOT in FA without giving up the farm for him. Now ROT, OG, & C are different, they can be found after round 1, but if we want that difference maker at LOT we better pray one of the top ones are available when the Bears select in round 1.

The good thing for the Bears is teams higher might have more of a propensity to take something other than OL compared to a sexy pick like QB, RB, WR, etc. Just think of the offensive line the Lions could've built instead of drafting WR after WR every year.

The good thing for the Bears is teams higher might have more of a propensity to take something other than OL compared to a sexy pick like QB, RB, WR, etc. Just think of the offensive line the Lions could've built instead of drafting WR after WR every year.

I agree, I loved it every time a top underclassman declared for the draft. The more talent at the skill positions on the Offense and the more talent in the area of DL, LB, & CB that is present in the top half of round 1 gives the Bears a better chance of getting a top LOT. The only position I am immediately concerned about right now on defense is Safety. We should be able to get good value at QB, RB, and WR after round 1. Round 1 right now (before knowing what will happen after FA starts) is hopefully reserved for LOT.

Things I know about the Bears this offseason...

1) OL is the most important position to be addressed. Without the OL, like this year, the skill positions can't do their job effectively.

2) Drafting a RB in the first round is insanity.

3) The skill positions on the Bears are not as bad as many are saying. The WR corp, if ever given a chance to play with a good OL and a semi-consistent QB, is capable of incredibly much more than what they have shown. Berrian (if he stays), Bradley, Hester, Davis, MuhMuh, and the TEs are a very talented group that should give opponents trouble each game.

3a) The skill positions also need a competent OC to maximize ability.

4) Many may like Grossman, Griese, or Orton, but QB has to be one of the picks. To pass up on potential like Flacco or Brennan with what is essentially a freebie pick in the 3rd round, would be ridiculous.

5) Drafting BPA is great in theory, but anyone calling for strict BPA is not thinking clearly. Should the Rams draft McFadden if he falls to them? BPA has to be balanced by need.

Last but not least, at the end of the draft and FA, the Bears should have a combination of players that resemble the following very closely:

-3 new OL

-1 new QB

-1 new S

-1 new WR (if Berrian leaves)

Aside from that, add depth as needed.