Joe Flacco: future Bears QB?

Da Bears 88

MOBILE, Ala. - Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco, standing almost 6 feet 6 inches, towered over center as he lined up for Senior Bowl practice Monday. After the session concluded, Flacco sized up his chances of becoming a Chicago Bear.

"I've heard they have an interest," Flacco said with a smile. "I heard they were at the [NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision] title game to see me play.

"That would be great, to go to Chicago. It's a little cold there, but I wouldn't worry too much about it."

Bears coach Lovie Smith had a front-row view of Flacco as he fired passes during the North team's practice, conducted by the Oakland Raiders staff.

Flacco looked more impressive than the other two QBs on his team—USC's John David Booty and Michigan's Chad Henne.

Link

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also read that Brennan has been pretty bad.

Not surprising at all to me.

The most noticeable position affected is quarterback. Michigan's Chad Henne was sensational Monday and stands to benefit greatly because of his overall passing efficiency. Kentucky's Andre Woodson showcased his rifle of an arm but understandably struggled with his timing during the first day of practice. Otherwise, there wasn't much positive to say about the performances turned in by Colt Brennan (Hawaii), John David Booty (USC), Joe Flacco (Delaware) and Erik Ainge (Tennessee). Brennan had toughest first day. His erratic passing performance in practice was preceded by him tipping the scale at a measly 185 pounds during the morning's weigh-in.

It's ESPN insider for those that have it...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/ins...tory?id=3207568

Is Joe Flacco the Next Tarvaris Jackson?

Posted Nov 10th 2007 7:15AM by Michael David Smith

Filed under: Vikings, NFL Draft, Minnesota

The 2008 NFL draft is supposed to be a deep one for quarterbacks, with maybe four or five going in the first down and 10 or 12 going in the first three rounds.

One name that had hardly been spoken before the season but is starting to get a lot of discussion as a potential first-day quarterback pick is Joe Flacco of Delaware. Mel Kiper lists Flacco as the fifth-best senior quarterback prospect in college football right now, and ESPN In$ider says this:

Joe Flacco of Delaware, who definitely is on the rise and whose arm strength seems to compare favorably to that of the more well-known prospects. The former backup to Tyler Palko at the University of Pittsburgh, Flacco transferred in 2006 and has put up big numbers for the Blue Hens, completing 472 of 712 passes for 5,448 yards, with 31 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions, in less than two full seasons.Flacco is 6-foot-6 and 236 pounds, has good pocket presence and has thrown only three interceptions this year in leading Delaware to an 8-1 record.

Small-school quarterbacks don't often go in the first two rounds of the draft; Tarvaris Jackson, whom the Vikings chose out of Alabama State in the second round last year, is the only quarterback to go from I-AA football to a first- or second-round pick this decade.

And since Jackson hasn't exactly lit up the NFL, that could hurt Flacco's chances. For all the lip service coaches give to developing quarterbacks, the fact is that in the NFL, if you're a first-day pick, you're expected to perform early in your career. So while Flacco may have all the potential in the world, if coaches think he's the next Tarvaris Jackson -- a player who doesn't get the job done in his first two seasons -- he won't be a high pick.

If this guy winds up to throw the ball at Soldier Field in December his arm might freeze in place due to that outrageously long windup. I don't think you can change that and I know if I'm a DB once I see him start the windup I can get about 3 steps toward where he's gonna throw. Could he even get rid of the ball fast enough to throw a quick slant off a 3-step drop?

If this guy winds up to throw the ball at Soldier Field in December his arm might freeze in place due to that outrageously long windup. I don't think you can change that and I know if I'm a DB once I see him start the windup I can get about 3 steps toward where he's gonna throw. Could he even get rid of the ball fast enough to throw a quick slant off a 3-step drop?

His wind up isn't really all that slow. It's not lightning quick, but it's no where as bad as you make it out to be. His bigger problem is his mechanics/motion and that the ball sometimes will sail on him.

good call...he reminds me of Leftwich. way to long of a delivery

I could see JA drafting him. I just hope he don't turn out as most of JA's small school prospects do (D. Manning).

His highlights are obviously against rather small schools. It's impossible to tell how that will transfer on an NFL field.

I'm not saying he is doomed, Romo came from an I-AA, but historically I-AA success hasn't carried over well.

I also hope he won't be an Alex Smith who was drafted on a good combine and prototypical build for a QB.

I won't say I don't want to see him drafted. It depends on how the draft and FA shapes up.

If Brohm, Ryan, and Woodson are all gone at 14 for some unforeseen reason, I wouldn't mind seeing him drafted in the second or third.

If the Bears go OT in the first, while only Woodson is available, I might be able to live with him drafted in the second or third

If the Bears go any other position then OT or QB or trade down in the first, and one of those 3 are available , even Woodson, I'll be irate.

One positive is that he won't be drafed high if at all...thus not turning into the problem that Alex Smith is as far as tying up hordes of loot.

Just be prepared to be irate. It's safer.

I could see JA drafting him. I just hope he don't turn out as most of JA's small school prospects do (D. Manning).

His highlights are obviously against rather small schools. It's impossible to tell how that will transfer on an NFL field.

I'm not saying he is doomed, Romo came from an I-AA, but historically I-AA success hasn't carried over well.

I also hope he won't be an Alex Smith who was drafted on a good combine and prototypical build for a QB.

I won't say I don't want to see him drafted. It depends on how the draft and FA shapes up.

If Brohm, Ryan, and Woodson are all gone at 14 for some unforeseen reason, I wouldn't mind seeing him drafted in the second or third.

If the Bears go OT in the first, while only Woodson is available, I might be able to live with him drafted in the second or third

If the Bears go any other position then OT or QB or trade down in the first, and one of those 3 are available , even Woodson, I'll be irate.

Since he said he'd be Irate if the Bears traded down and one of those guys is available, I think there's a solid chance you might be right on that. We all know JA loves trading down and stockpiling picks, even if he doesn't have the room to play them. I could certainly see him doing that even if one of those big QB names was available (and I bet several will be).

One positive is that he won't be drafed high if at all...thus not turning into the problem that Alex Smith is as far as tying up hordes of loot.

I willing to bet he gets taken in the 3rd round or higher unless he falls apart at the combine.

Peace :bears

He are some of the small school players that Angelo has brought in:

Adrian Peterson - Georgia Southern

Corey Graham - University of New Hampshire

Israel Idonje - Manitoba

Charles Tillman - Louisianna Lafayette

Brandon McGowan - University of Maine

Kevin Payne - Louisianna Monroe

All of the players with the exception of Payne (who appears to have tons of potential) have had positive impact on this team.

I just think a trade down is pointless. Odds are atleast Otah and Woodson will be available at 14. There's a strong possibility another tackle and/or QB will drop too.

With the Bears not having a true LT in years or QB ever, it would be idiotic to trade down IMHO.

I know the Bears have holes to fill, but sometime JA has to man up and go quality over quanity.

He are some of the small school players that Angelo has brought in:

Adrian Peterson - Georgia Southern

Corey Graham - University of New Hampshire

Israel Idonje - Manitoba

Charles Tillman - Louisianna Lafayette

Brandon McGowan - University of Maine

Kevin Payne - Louisianna Monroe

All of the players with the exception of Payne (who appears to have tons of potential) have had positive impact on this team.

With Tillman being the only starter. The rest being back ups or special teams.

Why exactly? This year will be the same. Neither Woodson, nor flacco will start. Flacco most likely taking longer to develop, with the higher chance of failure. I'm not going to say he will be, but if the Bears spend a second round pick, they will stick with him till he develops or fails.

An offensive lineman will likely not start this year. If he does, he will most likely be a liability until next year.

I fail to see how a first round QB would doom the team next year.

I also fail to see why Woodson is a worse project for the next 4-5 years then Flacco.