Joe Flacco: future Bears QB?

Da Bears 88

Why exactly? This year will be the same. Neither Woodson, nor flacco will start. Flacco most likely taking longer to develop, with the higher chance of failure. I'm not going to say he will be, but if the Bears spend a second round pick, they will stick with him till he develops or fails.

An offensive lineman will likely not start this year. If he does, he will most likely be a liability until next year.

I fail to see how a first round QB would doom the team next year.

I also fail to see why Woodson is a worse project for the next 4-5 years then Flacco.

I dont think they should take a QB at all. They need o line help, rb help, wr help and a safety. If they resign Rex and let him and KO duke it out in training camp thats fine with me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take those 6 players on my team anyday.

Peace :bears

I'm not saying they aren't good in their rolls on the team now. Most of their rolls tho is back up or special teams.

That's good, but the bears do not need a back up right now and QB's don't do special teams(other then kick holder). The Bears

need a starting QB.

While I didn't doom him because he's from a small college, I credited Romo, I still think for a QB, the step from I-AA to NFL is huge.

He most likely wouldn't get away with all of the running around in the pocket he does in the highlights if it was the NFL.

That's good, but the bears do not need a back up right now and QB's don't do special teams(other then kick holder). The Bears

need a starting QB.

Even if the Bears had the #1 pick this year, do you see an obvious candidate for a guy who is going to step in and tear up the league right away? Heck, even guys who step in and win right away (Roethlisberger) do so when the rest of their offense carries them and their job is only to throw it a few times a game. Unless you've got an obvious trade candidate, there's not really anyone out there who fits your demand here for a person who can step in right now and be a starter.

I dont think they should take a QB at all. They need o line help, rb help, wr help and a safety. If they resign Rex and let him and KO duke it out in training camp thats fine with me.

It's sort of pointless to discuss it with you if you can't see a need at QB.

There's not one team in the NFL that would sign either Grossman or KO to be their undisputed starter.

The best they could hope for is competition, and I couldn't say either would be favorites to win.

WR sounds like a sexy pick. It really doesn't really matter tho until the Bears get someone to throw to them.

RB sounds nice, but with a good line any team can run. JA will be bringing someone in FA or mid rounds of the draft to compete. I really don't see how this will effect drafting a QB.

Safety is no where near as important as QB. An adequate replacement can easily be filled in FA.

Even if the Bears had the #1 pick this year, do you see an obvious candidate for a guy who is going to step in and tear up the league right away? Heck, even guys who step in and win right away (Roethlisberger) do so when the rest of their offense carries them and their job is only to throw it a few times a game. Unless you've got an obvious trade candidate, there's not really anyone out there who fits your demand here for a person who can step in right now and be a starter.

It's not about getting a quarterback that can come in and tear it up right away. It's about getting a stong canidate to be that guy that can tear it up in the future and win then.

That's the best you can hope for out of any position. While some are best suited for immediate starters, none are expected to tear it up.

If you want to keep relying on defense, set an all time record for QB turn around, and complain about the offense every year, then by all means ignore QB. If you want a chance at the next best thing, or atleast good enough, then you go draft a guy. Very rarely do teams let good QB's go.

I only saw Flacco play in one of the playoff games, against Delaware St. That's not exactly enough to represent his body of work but if nothing else I know he'll be good at executing the statue of liberty plays for Hester. Regardless, we need to draft a QB but I prefer a LT in Rd 1. Find a QB in Rd 2 or preferrably Rd 3.

I only saw Woodsen in one game too and he didn't impress me that much. It was a national broadcast and KY was being talked about for the championship. Maybe the pressure got to him that game but then the next week he came back and lit it up.

I saw Ryan of BC play a couple games and at times he looked good but other times he couldn't get anything going. The announcers said his WRs weren't very good and had trouble getting open. If that's true how do you evaluate him? He's not going to the Senior Bowl either.

Brian Brohm I know nothing about.

Brennan I watched in a couple games and he seemed ok but the question remains; is he a product of that system and the competition?

Overall it seems like a tough year to evaluate QBs and where they should be drafted. I say we go with the Brady approach in a late round and take the guy who studies the most film and dates the prettiest women.

I didn't see any highlights, I watched him play against DSU in the playoffs. I watched specifically to see what he could do. His slow release was the first thing I noticed and my sons both agreed with me. Once he starts to throw it takes a long time to get rid of the ball. A little You Tube clip in which everyone appears to run a 4.3 forty isn't enough to change my mind. The guy has enough talent to get drafted I'm just not sure he's the right guy for us but I'll watch what he does leading up to the draft.

Like I have said several times, his problem isn't a "long delivery." His delivery isn't lightning quick, but he gets rid of the ball at a speed that won't hurt him. However, his problems are that his throwing mechanics could use refining as the ball will sail a bit at times for him with his throwing motion, and also, he has a problem of starring down receivers at times... but both those problems are very correctable.

I didn't see any highlights, I watched him play against DSU in the playoffs. I watched specifically to see what he could do. His slow release was the first thing I noticed and my sons both agreed with me. Once he starts to throw it takes a long time to get rid of the ball. A little You Tube clip in which everyone appears to run a 4.3 forty isn't enough to change my mind. The guy has enough talent to get drafted I'm just not sure he's the right guy for us but I'll watch what he does leading up to the draft.

to each his own cause I dont see what your seeing.

I would love Flacco in the second round, but I think anything sooner than that for a QB would be a mistake. He has a buttload of tools and would be a perfect guy to come in behind Orton/Rex and be groomed for a potential starting position (and if Orton or Rex develop you have a good problem in the sense that you'd have multiple QB's with talent, none of which would have high price tags and you could eventually swing one of them off for a draft pick).

I should also note that I want the Bears to move down in the draft and just stockpile as many day 1 picks as they can (as I think they have multiple needs which can be filled real nicely by having a late 1st, 2 2nd's, and 2 3rd's (we already ahve the 2 3rd's and if the squad can find a way to use its first round pick to get another 2nd we would be in business).

I like what I see in Flacco. Having grown up in Delaware and taken classes at the Univ of Delaware I assure you the Chicago winters will not cause him to go into shock. Newark is not far from Philly and if he was coming out of Pennsylvania no one would be concerned about the Chicago winters causing him to have to adjust. Slow release? I did not see anything wrong with his mechanics, although as an old (and getting older fast) OLman, what do I know about QBs mechanics? I was too busy trying to protect them than watching them throw, LOL.

Me thinks this could be a good idea....

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/im...-uri(mc)_lg.jpg

OT first round, this guy 2nd (or maybe 3rd). Not Brennan or Woodson. Some insight to his pre-draft stats and info. at this link.

www.nfldraftcountdown.com/.../qb/joeflacco.html

from that...

Armed and ready

Of course, the Bears are somewhat desperate for help at quarterback, so their interest in Flacco is no shock. But Flacco isn't the only signal-caller wide-eyed about the possibility of playing for the Bears. Both Hawaii's Colt Brennan and Kentucky's Andre Woodson, on the South team, beamed when talking about Chicago.

I'll puke if either are drafted by the Bears.

The more I've seen of Flacco the more willing I am to take him as high as the 2nd round. I'd be giddy if they got him in the third, but this guy has all the NFL tools. The only questions surrounding him are a little longer release (and I've seen many analysts indicate that really isn't an issue) and whether of course he can break down and read defenses (and in all reality, that is a question about every QB entering the NFL).

I'd also be all over Brennan, but not till round 3. I'm starting to think if the Bears can address the line via FA, that I would be okay with going with Rashard Mendenhall in RD 1 (I know it isn't a massive need pick, but the guy is a stud). Stewart is another guy I really like too. Than you hit QB in RD 2 and draft some project lineman in the 3rd round (cause the Bears do need to draft some olineman, but if they sign a guy or two via FA they can afford to take a couple lineman later on).

Another thing I'd be down with is taking Jamaal Charles (Texas) if he's there at three (if you go olineman at 1, Qb at 2, Charles with your first 3rd rounder). Charles is the perfect compliment to Cedric Benson (fast as a mother f'er but probably not big enough to be a 30 carry a back player, but thats fine, you give Benson 15-20 and Charles 10-15). The problem is the Bears had that terrible pick in Garret Wolfe last year.