Joe Flacco: future Bears QB?

Da Bears 88

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when they do JA lets them sign elsewhere...There is no real reason Drew Brees should not have been a Bear...Oh wait...we had Grossman... :chair

Huh??? When was the last time the Bears had a good QB that signed elsewhere??? Are you talking about Doug Flutie? In Angelo's defense, he was probably in high school when that move happened.

As for Drew Brees, don't forget that he'd suffered a bad shoulder injury and it was uncertain whether he would ever fully recover. That and his salary was like 10 million a year.

It's really tough to bitch about the decision to stick with Grossman last season when he did help get us to the Super Bowl. I doubt that Brees wouldn't have made much of a difference versus Indy.

Wouldn't Kyle Orton be a better comparison? Big arm, 6-6, worked out of the shot-gun a lot, slow delivery . . .

One problem, I don't think Orton has a big arm. I've seen him make too many throws now that have me concerned about his down the field arm strenght. He definitely has a sissy arm compared with Rex (and obviously a much slower release). But Orton has a much large frame which allows him to see things that Rex may not be able to (since he can see over the lines at all times).

Flacco, I would think is a better comparison to Big Ben but even that I think is an unfair comparison because I think Flacco has the tools to be a better pure passer than Ben.

nfldraftcountdown.com has Flacco going to the Bears with our 2nd round pick.

I would love it. Let Rex and Kyle battle it out on even ground in preseason (I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle beat out Rex if Rex resigns with the Bears), cut or trade Griese, and bring in Flacco to develop behind these two.

I would love it. Let Rex and Kyle battle it out on even ground in preseason (I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle beat out Rex if Rex resigns with the Bears), cut or trade Griese, and bring in Flacco to develop behind these two.

Orton will never be as good as Rex can be and he'll never be as bad as Rex can be. If Orton had been the starter from day one this season, the Bears make the playoffs IMO, but we're not close to winning the Super Bowl. Is that good enough?

Personally I'd be shocked as hell if Rex resigned. The only way it happens is if there is no market for him. I've been a big Rex supporter, but I can't imagine that his pocket presence is ever going to get any better, which means he's always going to get sacked and have his balls batted down 5 times a game.

Is it good enough to start the season with Orton, Griese, and a rookie like Flacco or maybe Woodson?

One problem, I don't think Orton has a big arm. I've seen him make too many throws now that have me concerned about his down the field arm strenght. He definitely has a sissy arm compared with Rex (and obviously a much slower release). But Orton has a much large frame which allows him to see things that Rex may not be able to (since he can see over the lines at all times).

Flacco, I would think is a better comparison to Big Ben but even that I think is an unfair comparison because I think Flacco has the tools to be a better pure passer than Ben.

Orton has the arm strength but he does not have the accuracy. It's very difficult to compare Flacco to Big Ben when Ben was drafted 11th overall and won a Super Bowl his 2nd season. If Flacco was anything like Big Ben he'd be projected to go one helluva a lot higher then the 2nd round.

Orton will never be as good as Rex can be and he'll never be as bad as Rex can be. If Orton had been the starter from day one this season, the Bears make the playoffs IMO, but we're not close to winning the Super Bowl. Is that good enough?

Personally I'd be shocked as hell if Rex resigned. The only way it happens is if there is no market for him. I've been a big Rex supporter, but I can't imagine that his pocket presence is ever going to get any better, which means he's always going to get sacked and have his balls batted down 5 times a game.

Is it good enough to start the season with Orton, Griese, and a rookie like Flacco or maybe Woodson?

No, I would prefer having a proven veteran come in via FA that can take charge of the offense but that is about as likely as Rex or Kyle making it to the Pro Bowl next year.

No, I would prefer having a proven veteran come in via FA that can take charge of the offense but that is about as likely as Rex or Kyle making it to the Pro Bowl next year.

Agreed. Is anybody available? Personally I'm not a McNabb fan. He's past his prime and he has an enormous cap number. The league is cluttered with mediocre QB's (like Griese, Rex & Orton) while you could count on two hands the truly great ones. At this point in his career I'd include McNabb as being mediocre.

Heck, Drew Brees has been terrible both times the Bears have played the Saints the past two years.

It'll be interesting. If Rex resigns we might not even draft a QB.

From FootballsFuture.com it would appear the pickings are slim:

Top Quarterbacks

Derek Anderson, RFA, Cleveland Browns

Anderson has been one of the biggest surprises in all of the NFL. He’s passed for 3,635 yards and has 28 touchdowns to 18 interceptions, while leading Cleveland to a shot at the playoffs. He’s also been able to add three rushing touchdowns to his totals. While he has had the benefit of strong receiving options, he has also done his job well above average. There have been rumors that the Browns may look to trade first-round quarterback selection Brady Quinn. Whether or not the rumors are true, Cleveland can’t afford to let Anderson leave town after the way his play has helped the franchise turnaround. The franchise tag could be applied to Anderson, but the Browns will likely to sign him to an extension before it reaches that stage.

Rex Grossman, UFA, Chicago Bears

There seems to be debate over Grossman on a regular basis. Many fail to believe that he will ever lead any team to a title, while others argue that he’s still relatively young and has shown flashes of greatness. Regardless of the side you take, there’s something intriguing when it comes to the Florida alum. He was on a roller-coaster in terms of play in 2006, and in 2007 his erratic play continued. He played in parts of eight games, and lost his starting job after week three. Although he battled injury late in the season, he was nowhere near impressive, throwing seven interceptions to four touchdown passes. Grossman will likely find a backup role somewhere, but it shouldn’t be a surprise if interest is low.

Daunte Culpepper, UFA, Oakland Raiders

Culpepper seems light-years away from the Pro-Bowl quarterback that he once was. He had had four or five decent outings for Oakland this year, while doing an adequate job of managing games, but he was never able to make the offense dynamic. He totaled 344 passing yards against Minnesota in week eleven, but reached 200 yards passing on just two other occasions. With JaMarcus Russell waiting in the wings, Culpepper would be nothing more than a veteran backup heading into next season. Odds are that Culpepper looks for a backup role for another team.

Josh McCown, UFA, Oakland Raiders

McCown hit the map with a decent 2004 season while starting 13 games for the Arizona Cardinals in place of the injured Kurt Warner. McCown had the benefit of throwing to some excellent receivers that season, but in ’05 Warner came back to play in a majority of the team’s games. McCown didn’t have the opportunity to build upon his past success. With Oakland, he has played in parts of nine games and other than a solid week thirteen outing against Denver, he’s done very little. McCown will likely be nothing more than a backup in the NFL, and will probably be looking for a new home in 2008.

Quinn Gray, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars

Gray isn’t a special player by any means, but he could serve as an athletic backup somewhere in the league. The Jaguars may pay to keep him around and behind starter David Garrard. Gray had the opportunity to play significant minutes earlier this season, but didn’t show a high level of promise. In all likelihood, if Jacksonville decides not to re-sign him, Gray could struggle to find a team to play for.

Other Free Agent Quarterbacks

Ken Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns

Ryan Fitzpatrick RFA Cincinnati Bengals

Drew Henson UFA Minnesota Vikings

Cleo Lemon UFA Miami Dolphins

Jared Lorenzen UFA New York Giants

Jamie Martin UFA New Orleans Saints

From FootballsFuture.com it would appear the pickings are slim:

Thanks for the Pix. It's flat our mind-boggling that Rex is the #2 available QB this season. Wow. Derek Anderson ain't going nowhere, so that means the top free agent QB is Rex??? Wow again.

Some team will give Rex big money to be the #1 guy, where-as JA has stated there will be a QB competition. Good luck Rex, and I really mean that. I can't remember there being a more likeable guy on this team.

If Brady Quinn is truly on the trading block I would give up a 2nd rounder and a future 2nd rounder to get him. I don't have a clue if that would be enough. I'd also give up our future 1st (But we have dire needs on the oline that I wouldn't give up this years first) to get him.

Heck, I don't know where the Browns stand on the dline, but if I had to give up a 2nd rounder, a future 2nd, and Alex Brown for Quinn I'd do it. He's better than any of the QB prospects in this years draft and you could get him without losing a first rounder. Plus he's a year into the league which makes him all that much more closer.

You would have Kyle/Brady/Griese or Grossman (I don't know) and let them battle it out. Obviously Quinn would be the front-runner given his tools and the fact that the team would have just acquired him but I could see far dumber things to do (Plus he's a good fit for our offense as he would be awesome at finding the TE's, has the arm strenght to throw down field, and is very accurate). Good god of any option I've seen all off-season if the Browns are truly willing to shop Quinn the Bears should be all over it.

If Brady Quinn is truly on the trading block I would give up a 2nd rounder and a future 2nd rounder to get him. I don't have a clue if that would be enough. I'd also give up our future 1st (But we have dire needs on the oline that I wouldn't give up this years first) to get him.

Heck, I don't know where the Browns stand on the dline, but if I had to give up a 2nd rounder, a future 2nd, and Alex Brown for Quinn I'd do it. He's better than any of the QB prospects in this years draft and you could get him without losing a first rounder. Plus he's a year into the league which makes him all that much more closer.

You would have Kyle/Brady/Griese or Grossman (I don't know) and let them battle it out. Obviously Quinn would be the front-runner given his tools and the fact that the team would have just acquired him but I could see far dumber things to do (Plus he's a good fit for our offense as he would be awesome at finding the TE's, has the arm strenght to throw down field, and is very accurate). Good god of any option I've seen all off-season if the Browns are truly willing to shop Quinn the Bears should be all over it.

I honestly don't think the Browns have any interest in giving up Quinn, and to get him, we'd probably have to give up our 1st rounder. And the Browns run a 34 so Brown doesn't really fit in anywhere on their team. To small to play DE and not good enough to play OLB.

I honestly don't think the Browns have any interest in giving up Quinn, and to get him, we'd probably have to give up our 1st rounder. And the Browns run a 34 so Brown doesn't really fit in anywhere on their team. To small to play DE and not good enough to play OLB.

SO Anderson is the better fit for the 3-4, correct (since he's more athletic). I'd give up our 2nd, a future 1st, and Anderson. Again, I think it is a pipe dream given the financial rammifications that I assume would happen if Quinn was dealt as opposed to Anderson (not a cap expert but I assume financially it is smarter to keep Quinn and trade the RFA than trading Quinn and than resigning the RFA to a fat deal) but if the Browns wanted to go with the more proven QB I'd gladly take Brady.

SO Anderson is the better fit for the 3-4, correct (since he's more athletic). I'd give up our 2nd, a future 1st, and Anderson. Again, I think it is a pipe dream given the financial rammifications that I assume would happen if Quinn was dealt as opposed to Anderson (not a cap expert but I assume financially it is smarter to keep Quinn and trade the RFA than trading Quinn and than resigning the RFA to a fat deal) but if the Browns wanted to go with the more proven QB I'd gladly take Brady.

Yeah, Anderson would fit in as an OLB in the 34. In fact, some thought for sure he would get draft by a 34 team as an OLB back during the draft 2 years ago.

Also, IMO, it is not very wise to trade future 1st round picks. It could turn out good if you are actually good, but if you suck the following season, you gave up a top 10 pick. Just look at the 49'ers, lost out on the 7th overall pick this year for Joe Staley. If they kept their future pick, they could be getting Ryan Clady instead. But hindsight is always 20-20...

And yes, this Quinn getting moved stuff is a pipedream.

Joe Flacco and Colt Brennan, if we get either one of them I'd be extremely happy :)

Not so much Brennan, but after watching the college skills stuff today, I want Flacco so bad. He threw 2 balls in the longest throw competition, and the first was 71 yards, and the 2nd was 72 yards. He also came in 2nd, I believe, in the accuracy competition. I think we should reach for him in round 1 if we know he won't be there in round 2.

Not so much Brennan, but after watching the college skills stuff today, I want Flacco so bad. He threw 2 balls in the longest throw competition, and the first was 71 yards, and the 2nd was 72 yards. He also came in 2nd, I believe, in the accuracy competition. I think we should reach for him in round 1 if we know he won't be there in round 2.

Nope, actually his second one was 74 yards :headbang

Brennan won the accuracy contest and the Flacco won the scrambling competition of all things with Brennan coming in second. A first round selection would probably be too much of a reach IMO, but second round maybe.

Theres not a chance we trade down specifically to draft him

Did I ever say anything about trading down? All I said was that if a team really wanted him and didn't want to risk waiting until second round to nab him, late 1st would be the ideal spot to draft him. That could very well mean a trade up, or perhaps a trade of a player.

Plus, it was you who said:

Its almost impossible for anyone outside the organization to even know who we will take with our first round pick let alone our second.

Like you said, anything fans come up with is pure speculation. Only the org. knows who will likely be drafted, and hell, no one in the Bears FO know who they will draft yet either.