Bears, All-Time Roster

madlithuanian

As I'm a bit bored speculating on the draft at the moment, I thought it might be fun to start a thread...and eventually get a consesnus on an All time Bears Roster. If you would so indulge me, I think only listing the starters at the below positions would be necessary. I'd love to get the player's name and why you feel he's the one. Feel free to list one's that were honerable mentions, but you can only vote for one per se... I figure I can set up a poll for any that aren't clear cut winners. Here's the listing O-D-ST. I'll list my picks a bit later...

The only rule is that the player had to be a starter on the Bears for at least a season... We will assume he's coming in at his physical peak.

Offense:

QB

RB

FB

WR1

WR2

TE

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

Defense:

RE

DT

DT

LE

ROLB

MLB

LOLB

CB1

CB2

FS

SS

ST:

K

P

PR

KR

Offense:

QB - Sid Luckman - I really wanted Jimmy Mac here. I actually think a healthy Jimmy Mac in his prime was outstanding. But I have to go with Luckman.

RB - Walter Payton - Gale was a possibility here, but I just have to go with Walter

FB - Bronko Nagurski - The man!

WR1 - Curtis Conway - In his prime, he was outstanding for the team. Plus, there wasn't much else to pick from!

WR2 - Bobby Engram - Great possession guy...

TE - Mike Ditka - Iron Mike!

LT - Keith Van Horne - big and bad...

LG - Mark Bortz - Another 85 guy. He opened nice hole for sweetness!

C - Clyde "Bulldog" Turner - props to Olin, but I don't think Bulldog mis-snapped the ball as much as Olin!

RG - Tom Thayer - I just love the guy...smart, athletic.

RT - George Connor - a beast in his day...

Defense:

RE - Richard Dent - if the QB's slow, he's gonna get bent!

DT - Dan Hampton - he played end too, but I'll fit Danimal in right here.

DT - Tommie Harris - I think he's one of the best we've had. The man can play ball.

LE - Doug Atkins - Probably the largest human to play football ever!

ROLB - Doug Buffone - Solid tackler and hard as nails

MLB - Dick Butkus - the baddest football player of all time! I'm so sorry Samurai Mike...

LOLB - Wilbur Marshall - amazing instincts and odds to the mean & nasty level of the rest of the LB's!

CB1 - Charles Tillman - he's darn good

CB2 - Nathan Vasher - I think our 2 current guys are best

FS - Doug Plank - could hit!

SS - Mike Brown - the unsung hero of our modern D

ST:

K - Robbie Gould - I love But-head, but Robbie just is good as gold!

P - Brad Maynard - He's still darn good compared to what we've had.

PR - Gale Sayers - If I can't have Gale at RB, we'll have him here!

KR - Devin Hester - Could you imagine a KO team with Gale and Devin?

I'll throw in coaches for fun...

HC - Papa Bear

OC - Mike Ditka (he'll be player /coach!)

DC - Buddy Ryan

ST - Dave Toub

I'd have to agree with you on that one, however I always liked wendell davis, he was one of my favorite wr we've had, but I'll settle for who he picked it could be worse, imagine david terrell and dez white Aaaahhhh!!!!

I hate to go 2000 or 2001, but if it wasn't for the injuries Marcus Robinson would be on the list. He was pretty nastey. He's probably the best Bears WR that never was.

Also, I think Booker should definitely be on the list. While his time here was cut short, he holds a lot of the Bears WR records in that time.

Ha! I too loved Davis! If he didn't get hurt, I really thought he had it! I actually had him in over Engram at first and then changed it!

I'd have to agree with you on that one, however I always liked wendell davis, he was one of my favorite wr we've had, but I'll settle for who he picked it could be worse, imagine david terrell and dez white Aaaahhhh!!!!

Good call on Marcus. I really liked him when old man Miller was connecting with him.

Also, good call on BOoker. This was the toughest category. There really wasn't those few guys that so stood out among the rest. I still have a very soft spot in my heart for Gault and Waddle...

I hate to go 2000 or 2001, but if it wasn't for the injuries Marcus Robinson would be on the list. He was pretty nastey. He's probably the best Bears WR that never was.

Also, I think Booker should definitely be on the list. While his time here was cut short, he holds a lot of the Bears WR records in that time.

Good call on Marcus. I really liked him when old man Miller was connecting with him.

Also, good call on BOoker. This was the toughest category. There really wasn't those few guys that so stood out among the rest. I still have a very soft spot in my heart for Gault and Waddle...

It's really near impossible to have top WR's when your best QB is from the 60's. WR is so dependent on another position that the Bears has never been able to find an above average fix for more then a couple years like Kramer.

What about Jeff Graham? I can't believe his name wasn't mentioned in this conversation. This guy was our most consistent WR for a few years and put up some pretty good numbers.

I think I would have MRob and JG as my Bears all time WRs.

Also surprised that nobody brought up "My fault Gault".

I did mention Graham in one of my posts...and I agree, he was outstanding for us!

...I also brought up Gault too.

I think the problem is we had a few really good guys, but not any really great guys. There's lots of room for discussion!

What about Jeff Graham? I can't believe his name wasn't mentioned in this conversation. This guy was our most consistent WR for a few years and put up some pretty good numbers.

I think I would have MRob and JG as my Bears all time WRs.

Also surprised that nobody brought up "My fault Gault".

you sure Cavanaugh played for the Bears? I don't even know who he is. ...and I barely recalled Hill! Those are Dennis Miller-esque references!

http://www.chicagobears.com/tradition/AllTimeRoster.html

You'd take Hill over Atkins, Dent, O'Broadovich or Hampton?

Harlon Hill/Ken Cavanaugh

No but I'd take Hill at his position of WR

http://www.harlonhill.com/who_harlon_hill.html

As a senior at Florence State Teachers College (now the University of North Alabama) in 1953, Hill caught only 12 passes for a ground-oriented, single-wing attack. Hill received small college All-America acclaim as an end, and was later drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 15th round of the National Football League Draft. The Bears felt they could afford to wait until the late rounds to draft Hill because even though they knew very little about him, the other NFL teams knew even less.

As a rookie for the Chicago Bears, Hill caught 45 passes for 1,124 yards and 12 touchdowns to lead the club in all three categories. His performance helped take the Bears from a 3-8-1 record in 1953 to a 8-4 mark in 1954. On October 31, in San Francisco, Hill caught seven passes from quarterback George Blanda for 214 yards and four touchdowns, in a 31-27 win over the 49er's. Hill's fourth TD catch of the day was a game-winning 66 yarder with only 33 seconds left in the game. The four TD's in a game still stands as a Bear's club record. At the conclusion of the season, Hill was selected as All-Pro, played in the Pro Bowl in Los Angeles for the West squad that won 26-19. Hill was chosen as the National Football League Rookie of the Year.

In his second NFL season, Hill again led the Bears with 42 catches for 789 yards and nine touchdowns. He became the first winner of the Jim Thorpe Trophy--symbolic of the National Football Leagues Most Valuable Player. He also was captain for the West squad in the Pro Bowl, and again named All-Pro.

In 1956, Hill had 47 catches for 1,128 yards and 11 touchdowns. He helped Chicago to a 9-2-1 record, and a spot in the Championship Game against the New York Giants--where they were defeated 47-7. Hill was selected All-Pro for the third straight year, and made his third appearance in the Pro Bowl.

In 1958, a severe ankle injury blunted the speed which made Hill the NFL's most feared deep receiver. He eventually shifted from wide receiver to defensive back.

Harlon Hill still holds numerous receiving records for the Chicago Bears, including most 100-yard receiving games in a career with 19. Other records include, most 100-yard games in a season (7), consecutive 100-yard games (3), most seasons with 1,000 yards receiving (2), most yards receiving in a game (214), and most touchdowns in a game (4). Hill ranks second all-time in career yards with 4,616, is second in average yards per reception (24.98), and career touchdowns (40). Hill still makes his home here in Florence.

Kavanaugh(sorry spelt it wrong)

played for us & Giants.

Knew I'd find this, tok a while.

http://www.kavanaghfamily.com/featured/200...red20030115.htm

As a receiver with the Chicago Bears in the 1940s, he was considered the "home-run hitter" and still holds the NFL record for most touchdowns per catch. He is one of the NFL's 300 All-Time Greatest Players, is on the NFL Hall of Fame Team of the '40s

Got it!

Man those are some obscure guys! Great finds and great read.

Thanks!

No but I'd take Hill at his position of WR

http://www.harlonhill.com/who_harlon_hill.html

As a senior at Florence State Teachers College (now the University of North Alabama) in 1953, Hill caught only 12 passes for a ground-oriented, single-wing attack. Hill received small college All-America acclaim as an end, and was later drafted by the Chicago Bears in the 15th round of the National Football League Draft. The Bears felt they could afford to wait until the late rounds to draft Hill because even though they knew very little about him, the other NFL teams knew even less.

As a rookie for the Chicago Bears, Hill caught 45 passes for 1,124 yards and 12 touchdowns to lead the club in all three categories. His performance helped take the Bears from a 3-8-1 record in 1953 to a 8-4 mark in 1954. On October 31, in San Francisco, Hill caught seven passes from quarterback George Blanda for 214 yards and four touchdowns, in a 31-27 win over the 49er's. Hill's fourth TD catch of the day was a game-winning 66 yarder with only 33 seconds left in the game. The four TD's in a game still stands as a Bear's club record. At the conclusion of the season, Hill was selected as All-Pro, played in the Pro Bowl in Los Angeles for the West squad that won 26-19. Hill was chosen as the National Football League Rookie of the Year.

In his second NFL season, Hill again led the Bears with 42 catches for 789 yards and nine touchdowns. He became the first winner of the Jim Thorpe Trophy--symbolic of the National Football Leagues Most Valuable Player. He also was captain for the West squad in the Pro Bowl, and again named All-Pro.

In 1956, Hill had 47 catches for 1,128 yards and 11 touchdowns. He helped Chicago to a 9-2-1 record, and a spot in the Championship Game against the New York Giants--where they were defeated 47-7. Hill was selected All-Pro for the third straight year, and made his third appearance in the Pro Bowl.

In 1958, a severe ankle injury blunted the speed which made Hill the NFL's most feared deep receiver. He eventually shifted from wide receiver to defensive back.

Harlon Hill still holds numerous receiving records for the Chicago Bears, including most 100-yard receiving games in a career with 19. Other records include, most 100-yard games in a season (7), consecutive 100-yard games (3), most seasons with 1,000 yards receiving (2), most yards receiving in a game (214), and most touchdowns in a game (4). Hill ranks second all-time in career yards with 4,616, is second in average yards per reception (24.98), and career touchdowns (40). Hill still makes his home here in Florence.

Kavanaugh(sorry spelt it wrong)

played for us & Giants.

hI MadLithuanian,

like your team pick's,but I have only seen higlights of the old guys ie Hill,great WR till he hit the bottle..so I'm only going on players I have seen play.I would only change :

WR1 Wendell Davis (3,000) remember seeing him blow out both of his knees after a catch at Philly

WR2 Tom Waddle (2,109)

TE2 James "Robo cop" Thornton,who could forget seeing him getting of the ground after a touchdown and still having most of the turf in his face guard.

K Kevin Butler all time leading scoring 1,116 pts

Flea, Ken Kavanaugh played 1940-41; 45-50 ( wasnt he a relation of yours :headbang )

Adibear,

I won't argue your Davis-Waddle tandem! I loved those guys! I think the WR slots are the most open of all for discussion!

I loved THornton! He was a beast! But, maybe our man Olsen may end up surpassing him! But, it's too early to tell.

I also love Butler, but I'm siding with Robbie for now hoping he'll even break But-head's record in the future!

Ha! I wish we were related! But, my dad did hang out with another Lithuanian, Butkus, on one occassion in college... that's as close as I've got!

hI MadLithuanian,

like your team pick's,but I have only seen higlights of the old guys ie Hill,great WR till he hit the bottle..so I'm only going on players I have seen play.I would only change :

WR1 Wendell Davis (3,000) remember seeing him blow out both of his knees after a catch at Philly

WR2 Tom Waddle (2,109)

TE2 James "Robo cop" Thornton,who could forget seeing him getting of the ground after a touchdown and still having most of the turf in his face guard.

K Kevin Butler all time leading scoring 1,116 pts

Flea, Ken Kavanaugh played 1940-41; 45-50 ( wasnt he a relation of yours :headbang )

Mad Lith After reading Papa Bear I looked up & read a bit on Hill. The link for the Kavanaugh I gave is a link to the Clan Kavanagh website. I'm a Kavanagh so I read a bit on him too. Looking to get his book too The Humility of Greatness