nfoligno

Sun Times guy spoke w/ Kiper, and got some stuff to pass along

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/04/ki...y_need_som.html

1.14—Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

2.44—Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

3.70—Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida

3.90—Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina

4.110—Stanford Keglar, LB, Purdue

Kiper also talks about how the bears were snake bit w/ injuries and such, and says they could return to greatness. Also says they need more "juice" on offense.

Other interesting bit from Kiper, though he has us taking Brohm, he really talks up Booty, and says that if he is there in the 3rd, the bears should jump on him.

W/ regard to his mock, and w/o knowing who was there when we pick, I love the first three. Chris Williams is not my favorite among the OTs, but is up there, and would be a great addition. Heck, it was not long ago we were unsure whether Williams would even make it to our pick, but since then, Otah moved back up the boards and Albert has soared. Brohm in the 2nd would be awesome value at a top tier need. And Kevin Smith in the 3rd sounds great as well.

I don't know much at all about Simpson. WR is a need, but I just question the value of WRs this year. I do not like the pick of a LB, even in the 4th. Our starting 3 are set, and we also have a pair of young LBs in Williams and Okwo, drafted in the last two years, in reserve. If we want to look at D, I would think DT or S would be much greater needs, and I would not mind looking at another OL too. But if the first three picks went down like that, I would be happy enough, again, not knowing who was available, or who he has us passing on.

No issues with this draft other than taking a LB in the 4th round (agreeing with you). You forgot Nick Roach who impressed on special teams after we grabbed him from the SD practice squad. I would much rather take another O-lineman there.

Peace :dabears

Guest TerraTor
Love it!! I don't think Brohm will be there, but if he is, he better be ours. Love the Simpson pick, however, I'd rather we go with Rachal or Schuening instead of Smith, as Smith will be there in the 4th.

Thatd be a great draft, but i dont see Brohm or Smith falling to those two positions

Thatd be a great draft, but i dont see Brohm or Smith falling to those two positions

Wait a minute . . . We don't take a RB until the 3rd round and you think it'd be a "great draft"? Where's the snarky comment about taking an OT in the first? Where's the overt "Benson sucks" comment? It's like I don't even know you anymore...

I love this mock and think it would be a great draft, however I would probably want the team to go safety in the fourth. I just don't see linebacker as that great a need especially over safety where there remains a ton of questions about not onyl Mike Brown health but about how good Daniel Manning is going to be or not be, and whether Kevin Payne and Brandon McGown are as good as the Bears think they are.

I do not see Brohm lasting to our 2nd round pick either, but two points I would make.

One. While I am not a big Kiper fan, history is history, and his record isn't too shabby. Its one thing when some fan web site talks about this player going here or that player going there, but when some of the bigger names talk about it, I think it lends some credence, if that makes sense. So while I do not think it happens, Kiper saying he will be there simply has more value than if some fan site says it.

Two. While I think Brohm is the #2 QB in the draft, I also think there is a legit chance he could fall as other QBs have a chance to go ahead of him. I am NOT high on Henne, but I have read quite a few that are. I do not think it is beyond reasonable belief that a team could rank Henne higher than Brohm. Then there is Flacco. This is a bit more of a reach, IMHO, but possible. Flacco has to be considered more in need of development, but at the same time, he is the biggest QB w/ the strongest arm. So he has a couple traits that you are either born w/, or you are not.

I do not think Brohm will be there for our 2nd pick, but maybe there is a reason Kiper does.

Love it!! I don't think Brohm will be there, but if he is, he better be ours. Love the Simpson pick, however, I'd rather we go with Rachal or Schuening instead of Smith, as Smith will be there in the 4th.

My sentiments exactly. Smith in the 3rd, no thanks. I'd rather see the Bears fill up the OL depth with a stud OG that is sure to be there. Like you, I think it's very possible that Rachal or Schuening will be there.

This would be a tremendous draft in my book. Williams is a nice looking tackle, Brohm would be good value at a long term need position, Smith is a workhorse type back (I have concerns over his longevity given how many carries he's already had in his college career), and Simpson is an absolute workout warrior (lots of raw tools) who again fills a need (Simpson is tall, with good speed, just a bit raw).

Being a Purdue guy, I know Keigler and I love him as a player, but LB is one area we do not need depth at from this draft. A solid OG, S, or DT is what I would envision with that pick if we pick those 4 players in rds 1-3.

I am in the same boat. I saw every Purdue home game this year as I just graduated a year and a half ago, but we just don't need another LB. It is too bad, because I really like him too. Not to go in a different direction, but I think Dustin Kellar is a stud and somebody is going to get a hell of a player. Purdue didn't utilize him enough, and I wish we had a need for another good receiving tight end. Anyways, good to see another Purdue guy here.

I actually think Brohm will be there in the second. Both Henne and Flacco have better arms and if Brohm isn't drafted in the first round (a very good chance this doesn't happen) I think teams looking to draft a QB in the second, with the idea to have them sit for year or two, will want to draft a QB with higher upside.

Brohm can't read defenses and struggles under pressure. He was a preseason All-American, but without Bush to shoulder the load, he crumpled. Brohm is only getting consideration b/c he is a QB in a very weak draft class. Anyone who has watched much of him will readily admit that he's just a tall Rex with a weaker arm...

Yuck!

Brohm can't read defenses and struggles under pressure. He was a preseason All-American, but without Bush to shoulder the load, he crumpled. Brohm is only getting consideration b/c he is a QB in a very weak draft class. Anyone who has watched much of him will readily admit that he's just a tall Rex with a weaker arm...