Jake Long #1

ostrogoth

NBCSports.com's Tom Curran reports the Dolphins are nearing a contract agreement with Michigan OT Jake Long.

The deal would make Long the No. 1 overall pick. The Dolphins began talks with Long's agent, Tom Condon, two weeks ago and never engaged in serious deliberations with any other player. Curran writes that with Long off the board, St. Louis is "a lock" to use the No. 2 pick on a defensive player. UVA DE Chris Long is reportedly "very confident" he'll be the Rams' choice

There is a lot of talk the Rams may go with Gholston or Dorsey as opposed to Long. If that happens Long will be a Raider (playing with the same team his dad played on).

Falcons want Dorsey badly at #3 so if Dorsey goes 2 it could make things interesting as it could make the Falcons a player for Matt Ryan, which means one of KC/Bmore (the teams who I believe will take Ryan assuming Dorsey is on the board for the Falcons) would be taking a position player of some sort (which could have a negative impact on what is available for the Bears).

There is a lot of talk the Rams may go with Gholston or Dorsey as opposed to Long. If that happens Long will be a Raider (playing with the same team his dad played on).

Falcons want Dorsey badly at #3 so if Dorsey goes 2 it could make things interesting as it could make the Falcons a player for Matt Ryan, which means one of KC/Bmore (the teams who I believe will take Ryan assuming Dorsey is on the board for the Falcons) would be taking a position player of some sort (which could have a negative impact on what is available for the Bears).

Now if you can project the picks all the way out to #14 with the possible scenarios, that would be sweet.

the way I see it going down up to our pick (I'll add more later this week)

1. Dolphins - LT Jake Long, Michigan

While they have many needs, no one really jumps out here. Gholston and Chris Long are great players, but none can make the impact that Jake Long can make for them. It all starts with the OLine, and this is, IMO, the smartest way to rebuild.

2. Rams - DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio St.

Word is that the Rams love this guy, and he fixes a huge hole on their D by providing them with an elite pass rusher. You can make a case for Long, but I think they will go for the immense potential of Gholston.

3. Falcons - DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

The Falcons would love to get Jake Long here, but since they won't, the'll go with their next target, Glenn Dorsey. They are reportedly in love with Dorsey, and this pick makes sense with their new defensive orriented coach.

4. Raiders - DE Chris Long, Virginia

How about that, Howie's son gets drafted by the same team his dad was a HOF'er for. We all know how Oakland likes those physical freaks, but no one else comes to mind here besides Long. They already have good depth at RB and signed Fargas, so no to McFadden. Their biggest need right now is DLine and someone who can rush the passer. It makes almost too much sense, IMO.

*TRADE* Ravens move up to no. 5 overall to secure Matt Ryan

5. Ravens - QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

The Chiefs will most definitely look to trade down here with both of their key targets gone. The Ravens are said to be in love with Matt Ryan, and giving up an extra pick to secure their target will be worth it in their minds.

6. Jets - RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Thomas Jones has regressed, and while they have Leon Washington (who isn't a full time back) and other needs, McFadden provides them with an instant impact on offense.

*TRADE* Saints move up to no. 7 overall to pounce on Sedrick Ellis

7. Saints - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC

Patriots are loaded and they are most likely looking to trade down from this spot. The Saints biggest need on D right now is DT, and they address with Ellis. They move up here to prevent Ellis from getting snatched right before them by the Bengals.

8. Chiefs - OL Branden Albert, Virginia

The Chiefs address their biggest need, OLine. They are looking to go back to the mauler days like when they had Roaf and Shields. In fact, if they also make the Allen trade with the Vikings, they can adress CB or even OLine again with no. 17 overall.

9. Bengals - RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

If Ellis were here, he'd be a slam dunk pick. But, he isn't. That leaves them with 3 options, trade down, Mendenhall, or Rivers. I don't see a trade down, and while LB and defense in general is probably a bigger need for them, they have been said to really like Mendenhall and Rudi has been slowing down. I think instead of trying to make the weakness a little better, they will instead try and make their strength even stronger. Afterall, if the Bengals beat you, it will be with their offense.

10. Patriots - CB Mike Jenkins, Central Florida

While Leodis McKelvin might be the better prospect, I think Jenkins fits in what the Patriots are looking for more so. They can't go wrong either way.

*TRADE* Bears move up to 11 to fill their biggest need, LT

11. Bears - LT Ryan Clady, Boise St.

While it is not Jerry Angelo's M.O. to trade up, this is something he has got to do. The difference would be our late 3rd round selection, and both the Bears and Bills have a history of dealing with each other. With the two teams ahead of us (Denver and Carolina) likely to look at LT, it is doubtfull that either one of Williams or Clady will be there at 14. On the flipside, the Bills are looking at WR, and both their targets of Sweed and Thomas should still be there at 14. Ryan Clady is probably the best pure LT in this draft, and he starts at LT right away with Tait shifting to RT.

While it is not Jerry Angelo's M.O. to trade up, this is something he has got to do. The difference would be our late 3rd round selection, and both the Bears and Bills have a history of dealing with each other. With the two teams ahead of us (Denver and Carolina) likely to look at LT, it is doubtfull that either one of Williams or Clady will be there at 14. On the flipside, the Bills are looking at WR, and both their targets of Sweed and Thomas should still be there at 14. Ryan Clady is probably the best pure LT in this draft, and he starts at LT right away with Tait shifting to RT.

Can't see JA trading UP. Me thinks that he stays at 14 and grabs the best OT that is still there. Although the run on OL could be early, then we may be looking at someone else. But I hope not.

Can't see JA trading UP. Me thinks that he stays at 14 and grabs the best OT that is still there. Although the run on OL could be early, then we may be looking at someone else. But I hope not.

I agree , no need to trade up IMO. There will be many great players that would be excellent selections available at 14 without giving up a pick to move up. If anything, I see us moving down if we got a decent offer.

While they have many needs, no one really jumps out here. Gholston and Chris Long are great players, but none can make the impact that Jake Long can make for them. It all starts with the OLine, and this is, IMO, the smartest way to rebuild.

Word is that the Rams love this guy, and he fixes a huge hole on their D by providing them with an elite pass rusher. You can make a case for Long, but I think they will go for the immense potential of Gholston.

The Falcons would love to get Jake Long here, but since they won't, the'll go with their next target, Glenn Dorsey. They are reportedly in love with Dorsey, and this pick makes sense with their new defensive orriented coach.

How about that, Howie's son gets drafted by the same team his dad was a HOF'er for. We all know how Oakland likes those physical freaks, but no one else comes to mind here besides Long. They already have good depth at RB and signed Fargas, so no to McFadden. Their biggest need right now is DLine and someone who can rush the passer. It makes almost too much sense, IMO.

The Chiefs will most definitely look to trade down here with both of their key targets gone. The Ravens are said to be in love with Matt Ryan, and giving up an extra pick to secure their target will be worth it in their minds.

Thomas Jones has regressed, and while they have Leon Washington (who isn't a full time back) and other needs, McFadden provides them with an instant impact on offense.

Patriots are loaded and they are most likely looking to trade down from this spot. The Saints biggest need on D right now is DT, and they address with Ellis. They move up here to prevent Ellis from getting snatched right before them by the Bengals.

The Chiefs address their biggest need, OLine. They are looking to go back to the mauler days like when they had Roaf and Shields. In fact, if they also make the Allen trade with the Vikings, they can adress CB or even OLine again with no. 17 overall.

If Ellis were here, he'd be a slam dunk pick. But, he isn't. That leaves them with 3 options, trade down, Mendenhall, or Rivers. I don't see a trade down, and while LB and defense in general is probably a bigger need for them, they have been said to really like Mendenhall and Rudi has been slowing down. I think instead of trying to make the weakness a little better, they will instead try and make their strength even stronger. Afterall, if the Bengals beat you, it will be with their offense.

While Leodis McKelvin might be the better prospect, I think Jenkins fits in what the Patriots are looking for more so. They can't go wrong either way.

Three teams trading up into the top 12? <_>

Guest TerraTor

Ya great trade. move up to get the "second best" OT. Well on our way to being last in rushing and passing yet again.

Ya great trade. move up to get the "second best" OT. Well on our way to being last in rushing and passing yet again.

A lot of really great O-Linemen in this league weren't regarded as the best O-Lineman on draft day. The question you have to ask is...how good do you think the 2nd best lineman is going to be?

Three teams trading up into the top 12? <_>

Since the year 2000, there has only been one year where there has not been at least 3 exchanges of picks in top 15. In fact, in 2001 there was SIX in the top 12 (if 12 is so important to you).

I don't know if you've noticed, but the top 4 offensive line prospects in this draft are all legit top 10 talents.

I think if things work out, Bears draft RB in RD 1 (possibly even moving down) and than get enough ammo to move up and take Cherisus (I am sure I botched the spelling of that) of BC or Baker of USC.

Well, it is all possible that Mendenhall is gone before 14 to either to Cincinnati or Denver, and I don't see the team having much interest in Stewart. I think all this Mendenhall talk is mainly in part due to the hometown connection and Turner connection.

And I am so freaking sick of seeing Baker's name thrown around for us. How exactly does Baker fit our system? The only way Baker plays tackle in the NFL is in a ZBS system. Granted our system is some-what similar to a ZBS, we still require more physical guys to man the line, especially outside.

I know, it goes against the JA we know of stock-piling draft picks, but a trade like this makes perfect sense. We have an extra 3rd rounder, and OT is by far our biggest need. We have a good history of dealing with Buffalo, and Buffalo would likely be glad to move down 3 spots. With the Broncos and Panthers both probably looking OLine, it is very safe to assume that all of Albert, Williams, and Clady will be gone by 14. And it is very possible Mendenhall is gone by then as well.

So, that leaves us with either a trade down, Otah, who the bears are said to have very little interest in, or Cherilus. As for a trade down, I don't really see any good trade partners any earlier then Jacksonville at 26, but then there is no guarantee if either Otah or Cherilus will be there. I used to think Cherilus would be a late first rounder for sure, but his stock has skyrocketed recently and I wouldn't be surprised if he passed up Otah. And if trade down and miss out on the top 6 OLinemen in this draft, the whole draft is a waste, IMO.

If things pan out like I see, we can either take Cherilus at 14 who is a very good player in his own right and can be a solid RT for many years. Or, we can spare our late 3rd rounder, move up 3 spots, and snag a franchise LT. The choice is simple, IMO.

Just looking at this, those two wins at the end of the season are sure looking crappy right now. With one loss out of the last two games, we draft 9th.

If that happened, we could've traded out of the 9th spot to 14th and pick up extra picks, lol.

LONG GETS $30 MILLION GUARANTEED

Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 1:16 p.m.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that tackle Jake Long will receive $30 million guaranteed as part of his five-year, $57 million deal with the Miami Dolphins.

Long will get $2 million less in guaranteed money and $4 million less in total money than Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell received a year ago, but Long is tied up for one less season.

And since different people interpret the term “guaranteed” differently, the only way to compare Long’s deal to Russell’s is to line ‘em up and parse the language.

For Parcells, it’s a win because he paid less money. For Long (and his agent), it’s a win because the deal covers one less season.

We’d still love to know whether Vernon Gholston had a meaningful chance to take less money than that.

Wow, I know this is less money, but at the same time QB's drafted #1 tend to get more money than the typical #1 pick. The money being paid to these top picks is just ridiculous and I truly believe the NFL needs to do something where there is a slot system in place (maybe cut the guaranteed money but also cut the lenght of the deals so the players drafted can hit FA a bit sooner???).

I know the veterans would be fans of this because if less money goes to the unproven draft picks it means there is more money to get thrown around to in-house players, veterans, and UFA's. Basically put the money will stick get spent but instead of so much of it going to the younger players (now a days the top picks in the draft are immediately becoming the highest paid guys at there position or close to it) it will now go to the guys in there prime who have proven themselves.

Bottom line the great players get paid regardless, the good to average players get paid more, and teams are less likely to be in absolute cap hell by ruining there entire franchise based on the fate of a couple high draft picks (this will also bring even more parody to the game and put an even bigger emphasis on scouting, imo).

Wow, I know this is less money, but at the same time QB's drafted #1 tend to get more money than the typical #1 pick. The money being paid to these top picks is just ridiculous and I truly believe the NFL needs to do something where there is a slot system in place (maybe cut the guaranteed money but also cut the lenght of the deals so the players drafted can hit FA a bit sooner???).

I know the veterans would be fans of this because if less money goes to the unproven draft picks it means there is more money to get thrown around to in-house players, veterans, and UFA's. Basically put the money will stick get spent but instead of so much of it going to the younger players (now a days the top picks in the draft are immediately becoming the highest paid guys at there position or close to it) it will now go to the guys in there prime who have proven themselves.

Bottom line the great players get paid regardless, the good to average players get paid more, and teams are less likely to be in absolute cap hell by ruining there entire franchise based on the fate of a couple high draft picks (this will also bring even more parody to the game and put an even bigger emphasis on scouting, imo).

If they can put a salary cap on a team, why can't they put salary caps on rookie contracts? Basically make it like the Franchise Tag system. A top 10 pick can make no more than the average of the top 10 players at his position, or something along those lines. Then just taper it down as the picks get lower. Also, put some stipulation in there that says that rookies must play out their contracts without any new negotiations. Make it similar to baseball arbitration.

Good thinking!

If they can put a salary cap on a team, why can't they put salary caps on rookie contracts? Basically make it like the Franchise Tag system. A top 10 pick can make no more than the average of the top 10 players at his position, or something along those lines. Then just taper it down as the picks get lower. Also, put some stipulation in there that says that rookies must play out their contracts without any new negotiations. Make it similar to baseball arbitration.

I think with the way bonuses and salaries are going up for as-yet-to-be-proven rookies, that this should definitely be adresses in the next CBA. It's just rediculous how much these kids get when they havn't played a down of NFL football.