Benson arrested again...

Conehead

Goodell is going to suspend him, IMO. With his new policy of holding teams accountable for their players, Goodell is also likely to fine the Bears. The possible fine is enough to get Virgina and Mikey involved in what to do about Benson. I could see them cutting ties with the idiot.

The problem is Benson will more than likely get out of the charges. If he didn't take a test, there is no way they can prove he was actually DUI.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, its the same state though so its possible any law enforcement officers werent happy about what he was saying even if it was a different entity.

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt after the boating incident, since no one really knows what was said, then came the whole speeding thing at What time in the morning? Then comes this. And you are seriously making that statement. C' mon not every cop is out to screw you and this is just blind arrogance. He needs to be released, before he causes not only more fines to this team, but more distractions which is the most important thing to focus on. He's done I don't care what the results of the boating ordeal are. A month after his first brush and he's still being a moron. He's no professional and definitly no role model. JA and Lovie will lose any respect I have for them if they don't release him before next week's over!

Goodell is going to suspend him, IMO. With his new policy of holding teams accountable for their players, Goodell is also likely to fine the Bears.

That is wild speculation. It was my understanding that teams would be penalized draft picks for chronic repeat offenders of serious crimes. You know - Pacman and Henry type guys.

I really don't think a couple of pending alcohol related charges and a speeding ticket are going to illicit any kind of penalty from the league.

Granted we'll have to wait and see, but I really think this event doesn't get him released. It may get him put on double secret probation though. :)

I know why Benson's smiling in the mug-shot. Just before the cop took the picture he Said: "Now say OVER PAID!"

39718123.jpg

"Austin police said Benson was driving a BMW through downtown Austin between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. Saturday."

"They allege he ran a red light and he was pulled over near the intersection of 5th and Colorado streets, located in the heart of Austin's night life district, said police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga"

"In an e-mail, Bassett said Benson was having a late dinner with his girlfriend, and that he had two or three drinks over the course of several hours. Bassett said Benson doesn’t believe he was intoxicated or impaired, and feels he passed the sobriety tests.

“[benson] says that he did not run a red light and, though it is possible a pedestrian may have been improperly in the roadway when he went through an intersection, he does not remember coming close to anyone,” Bassett said.

Bassett said Benson takes the charge seriously and is sorry he was out so late during training camp. He continues to remain dedicated to his team and the upcoming season, Bassett said."

All I have to say is that is one helluva late dinner. He's a compulsive liar and will never take responsiblilty for his actions whether they're on the football field or in life in general. JA's comments makes me believe he'll be released after their "investigation is done" At least that's the way a read it. Good Riddance he did nothing but hold this team back for the last three years anyways. I'd rather us make an offer for alexander, or try for kevin jones. At least when healthy KJ can put up good numbers. I really would rather us take a chance on KJ maybe a low base salary with high playing and stat incentives!

I don't see Benson getting released for this. It's nothing like Tank's situation where he had weapons charges and a SWAT team at his house.

The fact that he has the other charges still pending complicates the situation further. The Bears need to wait out the thing before making a decision. I think they had a bit of egg on their face after releasing Tank before everything was worked out and he ended up not even being charged.

Agree. Suspend him and get him into a treatment program. Too many alcohol related incidents. The team could help him out, get things turned around and get his life in order.

That is wild speculation. It was my understanding that teams would be penalized draft picks for chronic repeat offenders of serious crimes. You know - Pacman and Henry type guys.

I really don't think a couple of pending alcohol related charges and a speeding ticket are going to illicit any kind of penalty from the league.

Granted we'll have to wait and see, but I really think this event doesn't get him released. It may get him put on double secret probation though. :)

Yeah, go tell that to Koren Robinsen, or Jerramy Stevens, or Jared Allen. I can't believe you are still in blind support of this loser! I will stop watching bears games if he's sporting a uni for us this year. I don't believe in showing support for someone who doesn't value the Priveledge to play in this league.

Drunk boating, resisting arrest, speeding in a construction zone, running a red light while drunk driving - all in a month. Tag would have shrugged those things off, but I don't think Goodell will. He's gonna pull the trigger on Benson.

Of course the team fine is speculation - that's why I said a "possible fine". There hasn't been enough time since Roger enacted the new policy for any of us to know when and how he's going to enforce it.

I don't expect Benson to be cut for this either, LT. However, Virginia still has her way when she decides to get involved, and she's a little quirky. Nobody expected her to be offended by the Honey Bears, but she axed them because they weren't wholesome for the McCaskey name. If Benson's actions rub her the wrong way, he could be looking for a new job as soon as the team gets Forte under contract. We'll see....

Yeah, go tell that to Koren Robinsen, or Jerramy Stevens, or Jared Allen. I can't believe you are still in blind support of this loser! I will stop watching bears games if he's sporting a uni for us this year. I don't believe in showing support for someone who doesn't value the Priveledge to play in this league.

Okay dude. You list out all of the incidents in detail with dates for Robinson, Allen, and Stevens to establish a pattern over multiple years, and then I'll explain to you how their situations are completely different with this situation if you still need me to.

I'd retract the "watching the Bears" thing pretty quickly too if I were you. Even though it looks bad now, I'd put at better than 50/50 that Benson is still with the team this year. He simply hasn't had the body of work of a Stevens, Allen, or Robinson in the legal area to have that happen. Most players get a second chance. Some even get 3rd and 4th chances. Benson is starting on his 2nd chance now.

I'm not blindly supporting anyone. I would seriously like things to work out with the dum dum so we haven't actually wasted a 1st rounder completely, and the cap hit of a premature release won't mess up plans for signing other players. I want what's best for the Bears and IMHO that includes Benson pulling his head out of his rear end and playing well for the next two years.

Drunk boating, resisting arrest, speeding in a construction zone, running a red light while drunk driving - all in a month. Tag would have shrugged those things off, but I don't think Goodell will. He's gonna pull the trigger on Benson.

Of course the team fine is speculation - that's why I said a "possible fine". There hasn't been enough time since Roger enacted the new policy for any of us to know when and how he's going to enforce it.

I don't expect Benson to be cut for this either, LT. However, Virginia still has her way when she decides to get involved, and she's a little quirky. Nobody expected her to be offended by the Honey Bears, but she axed them because they weren't wholesome for the McCaskey name. If Benson's actions rub her the wrong way, he could be looking for a new job as soon as the team gets Forte under contract. We'll see....

I'm not sure Goodell will do anything until it's all resolved. There is still too much of a chance for this all to get settled out of court with the prosecutors dropping everything but the summary driving suspension for failing to blow, and Benson signing an agreement not to go after the actual cops that carried him from the boat to their car.

As for Ginny, I don't see this as something she cares about. As for Honeybears, I've read that she saw married players leaving a Bears function arm in arm with the cheerleaders. That's a bit more than thinking they are unwholesome in appearance.

HEY LT2_3

Question: What are the cap implications of dumping Benson right now or later in June?

I've never been a fan of his and I'd like to see the team move on. He's a repeat offender, problem child and over all dick. With Forte and possibly bringing in a vet via FA, he's expendable now.

Sorry to say, another first round bust for JA. You can never know for sure how these character problem guys are going to turn out as pros, and I was all for picking Benson when they did, but I was wrong and so was Jerry.

Time to move on.

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt after the boating incident, since no one really knows what was said, then came the whole speeding thing at What time in the morning? Then comes this. And you are seriously making that statement. C' mon not every cop is out to screw you and this is just blind arrogance. He needs to be released, before he causes not only more fines to this team, but more distractions which is the most important thing to focus on. He's done I don't care what the results of the boating ordeal are. A month after his first brush and he's still being a moron. He's no professional and definitly no role model. JA and Lovie will lose any respect I have for them if they don't release him before next week's over!

No, no, no Im not that guy right now. Im not saying he was being unfairly targeted or cops are out to get him at all. What I said was in response to the quickness of his mug shot being released and I said its possible because they already dont like him so they arent gonna do anything to help him. Im not saying hes being picked on at all. I , like you, was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until this. Im sick of this idiot.

HEY LT2_3

Question: What are the cap implications of dumping Benson right now or later in June?

I've never been a fan of his and I'd like to see the team move on. He's a repeat offender, problem child and over all dick. With Forte and possibly bringing in a vet via FA, he's expendable now.

Sorry to say, another first round bust for JA. You can never know for sure how these character problem guys are going to turn out as pros, and I was all for picking Benson when they did, but I was wrong and so was Jerry.

Time to move on.

There is no difference based on when he's released or traded at this point.

Either way, we still owe for $2.55 mil per year over then next two years for his unprorated signing bonus. For this year's cap hit we would subtract his $820k salary this year for a net cap loss of $1.725 million cap hit, but next year would be a pure $2.55 mil dead space cap hit for him.

From a numbers perspective, we should give him one more year to make it or not. These legal issues are a distraction, but that doesn't change the numbers. We'd be much better off paying the extra $820k to keep him and see how he does than save the $820 and spend even more than that replacing him at this point. But that's JMHO.

There is no difference based on when he's released or traded at this point.

Either way, we still owe for $2.55 mil per year over then next two years for his unprorated signing bonus. For this year's cap hit we would subtract his $820k salary this year for a net cap loss of $1.725 million cap hit, but next year would be a pure $2.55 mil dead space cap hit for him.

From a numbers perspective, we should give him one more year to make it or not. These legal issues are a distraction, but that doesn't change the numbers. We'd be much better off paying the extra $820k to keep him and see how he does than save the $820 and spend even more than that replacing him at this point. But that's JMHO.

Ced is a clown and we don't need that here.

He can go flip burgers at McDonalds for all i care.

Also, anyone who was around here before the boards merged probably knows Ive always hated Benson. It started with the stupid shit he said before the draft and got worse over the years and was mostly just for sucking. There is just no upside from him. He isnt good, hes a bad teammate, he gets injured a lot and now he seems to be getting in trouble every week. I didnt think the boat thing was as big a deal because he didnt have a track record of anything like this, but now he is showing what kind of guy he is.

Also, anyone who was around here before the boards merged probably knows Ive always hated Benson. It started with the stupid shit he said before the draft and got worse over the years and was mostly just for sucking. There is just no upside from him. He isnt good, hes a bad teammate, he gets injured a lot and now he seems to be getting in trouble every week. I didnt think the boat thing was as big a deal because he didnt have a track record of anything like this, but now he is showing what kind of guy he is.

You've officially been hired. When can you officiallly tell turner to get his things out?

True, its the same state though so its possible any law enforcement officers werent happy about what he was saying even if it was a different entity.

OR, maybe he's just a douchebag, was guilty on the boat, was guilty of speeding (reckless driving in many areas), and guilty in this case. Maybe, just maybe, the cops were just putting out information on a multiple law breaker with a superiority complex.

Hopefully they hurry up and cut benson so I don't have to waste a pause when subing forte in for benson on-line! That would definitly save me the hassle when playing madden 09. (yeah I'm stupid, I just can't play with anyone but the bears on-line even if I always lose.) Anyways, if (when!) he's cut I hope they hurry and pursue a vet like K. Jones so he can be added to the roster before the game comes out.

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). If you were/are as adamant as I have been, then I was your counterpart on the other board.

I loudly said that drafting Benson was a bad idea. I despised his comments and hold out. I hated the fact that TJ had to share time with him. And I was clearly one of the few who thought he was guilty on the boat.

I believe his actions over the last few months have validated my feelings somewhat. The guy is a first class idiot.

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). If you were/are as adamant as I have been, then I was your counterpart on the other board.

I loudly said that drafting Benson was a bad idea. I despised his comments and hold out. I hated the fact that TJ had to share time with him. And I was clearly one of the few who thought he was guilty on the boat.

I believe his actions over the last few months have validated my feelings somewhat. The guy is a first class idiot.

Man, I wanted Mike Williams bad in that draft. At least if we could have drafted him we know he would have been gone a few years ago.