Benson arrested again...

Conehead

Sayonara...

Report: Cedric Benson arrested on drunken driving charges

June 7, 2008

BY SUN-TIMES STAFF

The Austin American-Statesman is reporting that Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested last night on drunken driving charges in Austin. Benson was arrested last month in Texas for boating while intoxicated.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...son0608080.stng

Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson arrested on drunken driving charge

By Tony Plohetski | Saturday, June 7, 2008, 08:47 AM

Chicago Bears and former University of Texas running back Cedric Benson was arrested and charged with drunken driving in downtown Austin, police said.

Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said Benson was stopped overnight at 5th and Colorado Streets for a traffic violation and refused a breathalyzer and blood test.

Benson was arrested and taken to the Travis County Jail. He was released around 9 a.m. this morning on bond, jail officials said.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was arrested on Lake Travis on charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both class B misdemeanors. Those cases are still pending.

Benson was a first-round Bears draft pick in 2005 and started 11 games last season for the team. At the University of Texas, he was a four-year starter and ranks as the school’s second all-time rusher with 5,540 yards.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/sha...g_back_ced.html

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sayonara...

Report: Cedric Benson arrested on drunken driving charges

June 7, 2008

BY SUN-TIMES STAFF

The Austin American-Statesman is reporting that Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested last night on drunken driving charges in Austin. Benson was arrested last month in Texas for boating while intoxicated.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...son0608080.stng

Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson arrested on drunken driving charge

By Tony Plohetski | Saturday, June 7, 2008, 08:47 AM

Chicago Bears and former University of Texas running back Cedric Benson was arrested and charged with drunken driving in downtown Austin, police said.

Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said Benson was stopped overnight at 5th and Colorado Streets for a traffic violation and refused a breathalyzer and blood test.

Benson was arrested and taken to the Travis County Jail. He was released around 9 a.m. this morning on bond, jail officials said.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was arrested on Lake Travis on charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both class B misdemeanors. Those cases are still pending.

Benson was a first-round Bears draft pick in 2005 and started 11 games last season for the team. At the University of Texas, he was a four-year starter and ranks as the school’s second all-time rusher with 5,540 yards.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/sha...g_back_ced.html

Looks like I'm done back this guy up. What a moron!!!!

Anyone else think it's odd that the newspaper had this story written and posted - complete with mug shot and a statement from a police spokesman - 13 minutes BEFORE he was even released on a Saturday morning?

The article was posted on the Statesman web site at 8:47 and proclaimed his release in the past tense at around 9:00am.

I don't know what really transpired obviously, but it seems that the Police were VERY anxious to get this out to the media ASAFP.

What an idiot...Forte, AP, and Wolffe it is!!!

My question is if we dump Benson now and Forte gets injured or does not play to the expectations we have of him (which is very high in my case) then who do we have as a starter? AP is a good backup but I would not want him as a full time starter. Wolfe is a good change of pace "prospect" but certainly not a full time starter, IMO.

I think if we dump Benson, we look to still bring in a 4th RB as a potential starter if Forte gets injured.

My question is is we dump Benson now and Forte gets injured or does not play to the expectations we have of him (which is very high in my case) then who do we have as a starter? AP is a good backup but I would not want him as a full time starter. Wolfe is a good change of pace "prospect" but certainly not a full time starter, IMO.

I think if we dump Benson, we look to still bring in a 4th RB as a potential starter if Forte gets injured.

I think Ced might be facing a suspension. I really question his judgement. You would think after the boating incident he would have learned.

Peace :dabears

That's a shame. This guy has let down the coaches, the GM and the fans who have been trying to stick by this guy. I think that he'll have a word or two with Roger Godell before he plays his next NFL game. He may even be subject to suspension.

That being said. I'm a Bears fan and selfishly want what's best for the team. I want to win. Screw the public relations stuff right now. Honestly, I don't think that we can afford to release our starting RB especially after how we ran the ball last year. We just cannot afford it. I think that Godell and/or the Bears will suspend him for a game and he'll be back in a Bears uniform.

I'd hate for us to release him, have him go to the Cowboys and perform like he was supposed to for us this year. I hoped for him and Forte to be a nice 1-2 punch. We still need that to happen in order to get back to the playoffs. Forte-AP or Forte-Wolfe won't work. Don't even mention Forte-Henry.

Plain and simple we need Cedric Benson and cannot afford to release him. It will not make us any better. We gotta bite the bullet and keep him.

Don't even mention Forte-Henry.

LOL, If we picked up Henry, who has had his share of off the field problems (including 9 kids by 9 different women) to replace Benson because of his off the field problems, WOW, man would that be as stupid a move!!

My question is is we dump Benson now and Forte gets injured or does not play to the expectations we have of him (which is very high in my case) then who do we have as a starter? AP is a good backup but I would not want him as a full time starter. Wolfe is a good change of pace "prospect" but certainly not a full time starter, IMO.

I don't see Benson getting released for this. It's nothing like Tank's situation where he had weapons charges and a SWAT team at his house.

The fact that he has the other charges still pending complicates the situation further. The Bears need to wait out the thing before making a decision. I think they had a bit of egg on their face after releasing Tank before everything was worked out and he ended up not even being charged.

The fact that he has the other charges still pending complicates the situation further.

This is the heart of the problem. Less than 1 month ago, he was arrested on the lake. then he got a ticket for going 74 in a 45, and now a DUI. He has shown his judgement is either extremely poor or lacking all together. He has shown a blatent disrespect for the Bears organization and their fans. How much more do you think JA is going to put up with????

Peace :dabears

Anyone else think it's odd that the newspaper had this story written and posted - complete with mug shot and a statement from a police spokesman - 13 minutes BEFORE he was even released on a Saturday morning?

The article was posted on the Statesman web site at 8:47 and proclaimed his release in the past tense at around 9:00am.

I don't know what really transpired obviously, but it seems that the Police were VERY anxious to get this out to the media ASAFP.

I would have to assume there is a dislike of Benson from Texas Police officers after he made headlines by basically calling them liars and accusing them of wrongfully arresting him and using unnecessary force.

I would have to assume there is a dislike of Benson from Texas Police officers after he made headlines by basically calling them liars and accusing them of wrongfully arresting him and using unnecessary force.

The other group was port authority if I'm not mistaken. Two completely different entities.

True, its the same state though so its possible any law enforcement officers werent happy about what he was saying even if it was a different entity.

Yeah, I see your point, but I think it would be more of a local thing since everything seems to be occurring in the Austin area. After the boat incident, the only time Benson should've been drinking was at home. Why risk it?

Yeah, I see your point, but I think it would be more of a local thing since everything seems to be occurring in the Austin area. After the boat incident, the only time Benson should've been drinking was at home. Why risk it?

He should have just stayed in Chicago to drink. The Cops here would let him do anything.

I don't know what was a dumber comment.

Me saying Cade McNown was going to be the best QB in franchise history or me saying that Cedric Benson would go down as the a top 5 RB in Bears franchise history. Good lord, my evaluation abilities are terrible. Thankfully the Bears aren't paying me a dime and instead everyone here gets to read my "expert" analysis, LOL.

I'd dump Benson and make a run at Shaun Alexander. Just get a veteran, whose at least a solid guy and motivated (is Rhodes still out there???) and be prepared to get Forte more and more carries throughout the season.

Goodell is going to suspend him, IMO. With his new policy of holding teams accountable for their players, Goodell is also likely to fine the Bears. The possible fine is enough to get Virgina and Mikey involved in what to do about Benson. I could see them cutting ties with the idiot.

I don't know what was a dumber comment.

Me saying Cade McNown was going to be the best QB in franchise history or me saying that Cedric Benson would go down as the a top 5 RB in Bears franchise history. Good lord, my evaluation abilities are terrible. Thankfully the Bears aren't paying me a dime and instead everyone here gets to read my "expert" analysis, LOL.

I'd dump Benson and make a run at Shaun Alexander. Just get a veteran, whose at least a solid guy and motivated (is Rhodes still out there???) and be prepared to get Forte more and more carries throughout the season.

lol, on the evaluations. I think most people do that with optimism and high expectations that accompany 1st rounders.

I forgot about Alexander, that would be an interesting move.

The cap hit is actually the worst part. Maybe the Bears could find a suitor just to take Benson off our hands to reduce the cap hit. Some team is stupid enough.