Who will be the starting RB?

jason

I can see either any of the three RBs currently on roster being the primary RB, but I don't think any will get a ton of carries. I think it'll be a three-headed monster this year, with Forte slowly getting more carries by year's end.

What I'd love to see is Wolfe get the majority of the carries in the beginning of the year. We've already seen what Peterson can do, and I love the guy, but he's not capable of doing anything spectacular in the NFL from what we've seen. Wolfe, on the other hand, could cause some serious damage and break off long runs/catches. He's a wild card, a guy that the defense could have problems with.

What do you want to see? What do you think would help the team the most?

Ideally, I would like the Bears to do what the New Orleans Saints have done the last couple of years. Forte having the same role as Deuce McCalister ( majority of the carries, tough runner). Garret Wolfe have the Reggie Bush role ( 10 + touches a game, some by pass, some by sweeps or trick plays) and AP would fill the Pierre Thomas role ( classic backup, only used if one of the other two goes down with an injury. I think that would be the best way to use our 3 backs.

Wolfe isn't big enough to carry the load and given the weakness of our WR corps, and QB situation, starting off with him as the primary back won't work very well IMO. We're going to go with the mix of Forte and AP and Wolfe picking up perhaps 5-7 carries/game. Once the passing game settles in a bit I can see Wolfe picking up a bigger role but he can't be the focus of the offense in game one when nobody will respect our passing game.

I don't see why Forte can't start for us. He's a running back find the hole and run through it. With our Oline finding the hole might be a problem but that wouldn't be his fault and AP and Wolfe would have the same issues. I certainly can see AP and Wolfe taking turns as our 3rd down back.

I don't think we should count on Garrett Wolfe giving us any kind of production this season. He's a special teams player and a spot backup, meaning he won't see much action at RB throughout the year. I think it's gonna be Forte but you know Lovie, he's gonna preach that "Adrian Peterson will take reps with the first team and we'll go from there." I hope I'm wrong about that because Adrian Peterson as we saw last year, isn't anything special and most certainly isn't a starter (He didn't even outplay Cedric Benson last year). As I see things now, were not going to have a great offense either way. I expect us to be at the bottom part of the league in the offensive category. We have no quarterback, an inexperienced runningback, no #1 or #2 receiver, a bad offensive line; and as you can see to where I'm going with this, were not going to get any high amount of production from anybody on this offense this year barring somebody has an absolute miracle breakout season. Who among the starters has that capability? I think there are only two, Devin Hester, and Greg Olsen. If we get pro bowl production from these guys, we may be alright, but we shouldn't expect it.

Ideally, I would like the Bears to do what the New Orleans Saints have done the last couple of years. Forte having the same role as Deuce McCalister ( majority of the carries, tough runner). Garret Wolfe have the Reggie Bush role ( 10 + touches a game, some by pass, some by sweeps or trick plays) and AP would fill the Pierre Thomas role ( classic backup, only used if one of the other two goes down with an injury. I think that would be the best way to use our 3 backs.

I agree. Turner has been singing praises about Forte. He is going to be the primary back with Wolfe getting a smaller amt of carries (5 to 10 a game). AP is most valuable on special teams. Look for McKie to get carries as well.

Peace :dabears

Then we need to sign someone to be Aaron Stecker

Wow. What a great reply. Exactly what I would like, and from a seldom seen poster.

You need to get more involved here...good insight.

I don't think we should count on Garrett Wolfe giving us any kind of production this season. He's a special teams player and a spot backup, meaning he won't see much action at RB throughout the year. I think it's gonna be Forte but you know Lovie, he's gonna preach that "Adrian Peterson will take reps with the first team and we'll go from there." I hope I'm wrong about that because Adrian Peterson as we saw last year, isn't anything special and most certainly isn't a starter (He didn't even outplay Cedric Benson last year). As I see things now, were not going to have a great offense either way. I expect us to be at the bottom part of the league in the offensive category. We have no quarterback, an inexperienced runningback, no #1 or #2 receiver, a bad offensive line; and as you can see to where I'm going with this, were not going to get any high amount of production from anybody on this offense this year barring somebody has an absolute miracle breakout season. Who among the starters has that capability? I think there are only two, Devin Hester, and Greg Olsen. If we get pro bowl production from these guys, we may be alright, but we shouldn't expect it.

This line of "reasoning" baffles me. We barely saw the guy last year, and yet so many are just ready to write him off. He showed more in very limited action last year than anyone else on the roster; I know that for a fact.

Why can't we count on Wolfe?

Why can't we expect production?

Why is he a special teams player?

Seems to me it's just doubt because of his size...something that didn't stop him from beating up on larger college players, and stomping a mudhole in Ohio State, a defense filled with future NFLers. And, as I said, when given the shot last year (and used intelligently), he made some nice plays in very limited time last year.

Give the guy a chance!

Ideally... Forte will be the main guy. Wolfe will be the change of pace guy. Peterson will get a series or two throughout the game to rest Forte.

However, I think we will bring in another FB/RB...

Ideally... Forte will be the main guy. Wolfe will be the change of pace guy. Peterson will get a series or two throughout the game to rest Forte.

If we don't bring in a vet rb I hope we get a back-up guard or tackle... Hey I saw Q. Mitchelle just got released from the 49ers... Sorry I just had to!! The overall depth does really scare me more than anything though. Forte could be alright, but what happens if we lose both an o-line guy and one of the rb's like forte for example. It's bad enough that we're relying in Forte, but with the line in the shape it's in I would def consider signing one guy whether it's an ol or rb. My main preference is KJ cause I feel we could get him for the vet min and maybe give him bonuses on playing time and performance. Not to mention there's not too much out there as far as OL. Think about it if forte goes down do you feel comfortable with a peterson and wolfe combo with our line, not to mention they are older and have had their fair share of injuries the last couple of years (Tait to be specific).

I agree with alot of what you guys are putting down. I'm with you , jason. I think Wolfe showed us some explosive playmaking last year. I like a Forte/Wolfe combo. If AP is anything more than a special teams guy and insurance in case of emergency, we are in deep poop. I wouldn't mind a flyer on a KEvin Jones either.

First off...glad to have you on board ElmhurstMarcus!

I also pretty much agree with you take... The only change would be if we added a vet. Then I see (let's just say Kevin Jones for example) as the Deuce role...with Forte getting more and more involved as the season progresses. Wolfe still playing the Reggie role...

Very true...

Our coaches need to utilize him better than running him up the middle in out own end zone...

On top of that though...the O-Line also needs to perform, so that he has a shot to either get outside or to get through the D-Line where his speed might actually matter.

The problem with Wolfe is that he isnt the type of back that can do it all. If anything he would only be used for sweeps or in long passing situations. However, when a defense can narrow down to a handful of plays that will be run when hes on the field we will be too predictable.

The problem with Wolfe is that he isnt the type of back that can do it all. If anything he would only be used for sweeps or in long passing situations. However, when a defense can narrow down to a handful of plays that will be run when hes on the field we will be too predictable.

I believe Wolfe to be on the same page as an up and coming Warrick Dunn.

Ideally for who, the other teams defense? As of now its AP as the starter and Forte will be getting a good amount of carries and Wolfe will get the same BS he got last year. Wolfe is absolutely third in line right now and if they bring someone else in he will be 4th.

This line of "reasoning" baffles me. We barely saw the guy last year, and yet so many are just ready to write him off. He showed more in very limited action last year than anyone else on the roster; I know that for a fact.

Why can't we count on Wolfe?

Why can't we expect production?

Why is he a special teams player?

Seems to me it's just doubt because of his size...something that didn't stop him from beating up on larger college players, and stomping a mudhole in Ohio State, a defense filled with future NFLers. And, as I said, when given the shot last year (and used intelligently), he made some nice plays in very limited time last year.

Give the guy a chance!

Line of reasoning? Heres a reason, how bout Adrian Peterson's 3.4 ypc? Cedric's was the exact same, yeah thats definitely outplaying the man that just got canned.. :rolleyes: Not to mention I remember several games where Cedric looked to be starting to run better and better but Dingleshit Turner stopped giving him the ball which made his production worse than it should have been. The one + on AP was his pass catching ability, that is it, he's not a starter, he's a backup through and through.

Why should we expect anything from Wolfe? Did he do anything last year that would lead you to believe he will make an impact next season? There was a reason Garrett didn't get in alot of the plays last season, one is, he's a rookie, and the other is he sucks running between the tackles. And Garrett Wolfe is a special teams player because Garrett Wolfe played special teams last season ;)