Forte agrees to terms

Connorbear

My wish granted! I said this morning when it was leaked that Forte would sign within 24 hrs that I hoped when I got home it would be posted he signed. Sure enough, I log on to my PC, my home page comes up (chicagobears.com) and there it is, Forte signs. Fantastic!!

Now let's get Williams signed by the end of the week. No last minute negotiations!

70 draft picks league-wide have signed so far. We have 11 of those. That's excellent work by the front office.

Awesome news and great work by JA and Co. :notworthy

Every year this front office is showing the NFL that it is "first class" at taking care of there own, signing there draft class, and not overspending.

Awesome news and great work by JA and Co. :notworthy

Every year this front office is showing the NFL that it is "first class" at taking care of there own, signing there draft class, and not overspending.

Except for sea bass, too bad they can't take his money and give it to someone who wants to play.

But I totally agree, one thing they have done very well is getting our rookies signed and in camp and rewarding our own. We get Williams signed, then Hester/Urlacher and we are in great shape contractually for future. Leaving next season and offseason to either extend Rex or extend Orton and I see us drafting a QB in the first three rounds next draft. If it's Rex then perhaps we either extend Orton or more likely trade him for a backup.

Jerry has done a good job at keeping this team together. If the line gels, that will help the running game and the passing game. If Forte proves to be a wise pick and carries the ground game, that will take pressure off the passing game and if Rex or Kyle step up and play well, if the WR develop, and if the defense stays healthy we could make a run this year. Lot's of if's I know but it's not impossible. Shoot if the defense stays healthy they will keep us in games and if the offense is at least average we will win games. I don't expect a quick start for the offense. I could more see it being a hit and miss. At times being maddeningly inept but also showing bright spots and the offense improving as the season goes along. Then again I didn't expect us to jump out of the gate in '06 like we did either. This is probably the most critical season for this team in a while. Do they show that last year was partly due to the SB hangover and they will snap back. Most teams that struggle following a SB loss do snap back after a down year.

Is that 3.7 per or 3.7 over 4? If it's 3.7 over 4, that's a steal. :dabears

According to that article listed above, it looks like 3.7 over 4 years.....it also states that for the pick # it is the highest that has ever been paid. Still though, if he ends up being more productive than Cedric it really is a steal. But of course if it does happen he will want to restructure in a year or 2.

Still though, if he ends up being more productive than Cedric it really is a steal. But of course if it does happen he will want to restructure in a year or 2.
The only time, I agree with restructuring a rookie out of the gate, is when a running back proves to be the real deal. If Forte shows he is a stud, I would re-structure after year one to get him in a longer contract to provide security for himself and the team. Odds are, for a running back, that they won’t make it past a 4 year deal, but if he does, it’s a whopper of a contract. Lock him in for 6 yrs after his rookie season and you’ve both paid him and harvested his best years.

According to that article listed above, it looks like 3.7 over 4 years.....it also states that for the pick # it is the highest that has ever been paid. Still though, if he ends up being more productive than Cedric it really is a steal. But of course if it does happen he will want to restructure in a year or 2.

I wouldn't doubt you, but that's even 1 per which is good considering cap space.

Hey, if this guy kicks butt for the next two years, proves to be the back we have needed, shows he is durable, and helps us regain our dominant running game, he would deserve a restructuring and I am sure the Bears will give it to him.