Will we trade Ricky Manning Jr.?

Pixote

From the Sporting News Web Site:

If you thought CB Ricky Manning Jr. had fallen out of favor with the coaching staff last season -- rookie seventh-round pick Trumaine McBride was used ahead of him as an injury replacement for Nathan Vasher -- you haven't seen anything yet. At least Manning had his gig as the nickel cornerback then. He wasn't even involved in the nickel package during the offseason program and was running third on the depth chart, doing more watching than participating. Barring a major change, it's expected Manning will be on the trading block when training camp opens. He's a veteran with starting experience who has proven to be durable. He's handling the situation well and seems open to the idea of a change of scenery. Manning is probably best suited for a team that doesn't play cover two and is best in man-to-man coverage. If the Bears stay healthy in the secondary, he could find a new home in August.

exactly as connorbear says. Hold onto him awhile

Oh I agree, we have to first wait to see if our DB situation is safe before we consider trading him, the article I quoted said this as well. The last thing we want to do is duplicate the same mistake that cost us before when we traded away a safety in preseason thinking we were deep enough to do so, and later regretted having done so.

From the Sporting News Web Site:

I think what Connor says below is pretty accurate. I expect Manning to be traded but the Bears will hold out on dealing him until training camp is going on just to make sure they are protected from an injury. However, the Bears have a lot of guys they really like in the secondary and the emergence of McBride and the selection of Bowman (plus Daniel Manning who plays in nickel packages) makes Manning Jr. a forgotten man.

Thats not to say he didn't have value as he was a key contributor during the Bears superbowl run. I expect anything from a 4th to 7th rounder for him (most likely it will be a conditional type of pick, which will get better based upon Manning's play).

DEF - CLE - Browns GM Savage Laying Groundwork For CB Trade

Source: Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage's search for a veteran cornerback through trade will resume when he returns from vacation next week. There has been some groundwork laid, but the few teams involved want to gauge other positions on their rosters in the first week or two of training camp before trading a cornerback.

What I would have done was traded Manning to Cleveland for Bentley.This way we didn't loose much in the secondary but we would have gained a better lineman than Metcalf. I watched the Bears playing the Saints when he was there and he was blocking Harris, Urlacher and a few other Bears all over the field. He was also pulling from the center spot...which is kinda hard to do in the NFL.

What I would have done was traded Manning to Cleveland for Bentley.This way we didn't loose much in the secondary but we would have gained a better lineman than Metcalf. I watched the Bears playing the Saints when he was there and he was blocking Harris, Urlacher and a few other Bears all over the field. He was also pulling from the center spot...which is kinda hard to do in the NFL.

Bentley is available, but I wonder how healthy he is? Seems to me he would have been signed quickly by someone if he was in playing shape and not an IR project.

Also, why trade for him when he is available without the cost of a trade?

More than four weeks since being granted his release from the Cleveland Browns, offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley has not found a new team. Nevertheless, Jonathan Feinsod, Bentley's agent, said there is "a lot of interest" in the former Pro Bowler. "We're sifting through different offers, taking our time and going from there," Feinsod said. At least one team executive believes that Bentley will attract interest once teams return from vacation next week. "He's among a lot of guys who are one injury away from being in big demand," the NFL personnel chief said.

Yes, lets trade the guy who has stayed healthy every year.

Nah, lets trade RMJ and rely on the great Trumaine McBride. :rolleyes:

McBride was playing over RMJ in Nickel sets last season for a reason. It is because he's a very very nice looking nickel CB (won't be a starting CB, but you are talking about an above average nickel CB who can step in and start if a guy goes down). And that was as a rookie.

Yes, lets trade the guy who has stayed healthy every year.

Nah, lets trade RMJ and rely on the great Trumaine McBride. :rolleyes:

Wow, talk about overrating a good but not great nickle back. Trumaine McBride preformed better than him last year, and in the cover 2, CB is arguably the easiest spot to turn average players into above average players. Between Tillman, Vasher, D. Manning, McBride, Graham, and Bowman, there really is no need for RMJ (whose best role would be in a man system anyway).

DEF - CLE - Browns GM Savage Laying Groundwork For CB Trade

Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage's search for a veteran cornerback through trade will resume when he returns from vacation next week. There has been some groundwork laid, but the few teams involved want to gauge other positions on their rosters in the first week or two of training camp before trading a cornerback.

If we could get a 5th round pick, I'd be happy. If we can get a 4th round pick, I'd be ecstatic. If we can get a 3rd round pick, I'd create a shrine in my basement honoring the great Jerry Angelo.

I'm OK with that too...we need to get someting decent for him though. He's young with upside still.

But at least he doesn't jolly stomp nerds at Denny's like RIcky Jr...

If we are going to trade any Manning, it should be Daniel...Talk about being out of position and missing tackles