Welcome to 4-12

Guest TerraTor

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think the performance last night means JA & Co. will be looking seriously to bring in some additions to the OL. It only takes 1 or 2 solid players added to the OL roster to make a significant improvement. I will be anxious to see who he targets in the next few weeks. To me the obvious additions would be Brown & Miller from our earlier cuts, both with a simple 1 year deal, since they both are already acclimated with the players and schemes we run. Miller & Brown were both playing with injuries last year and that is tough to do especially when getting older. If healthy, both could be an upgrade for us either as starters or depth.

Pix, I hope so. But they call it preseason for a reason. These guys could still come together. If they don't we better keep 6 QB's.

There may be a few "we cut him early so he could catch on with someone else" cuts made this week. Those players could be better than Miller/Brown. We'll see. Most of the cap casualties are already out there, I believe. I seriously doubt JA will leave things as they are.

Ah well, at least Forte was given the opportunity to display his blocking skills.

PS. Terra - Apparently you forgot about the game where the line quit on McNown and let the 49er's kill his arrogant ass. THAT was the worst performance I've ever seen by an O Line, although, it was intentional.

I honestly think the performance last night means JA & Co. will be looking seriously to bring in some additions to the OL. It only takes 1 or 2 solid players added to the OL roster to make a significant improvement. I will be anxious to see who he targets in the next few weeks. To me the obvious additions would be Brown & Miller from our earlier cuts, both with a simple 1 year deal, since they both are already acclimated with the players and schemes we run. Miller & Brown were both playing with injuries last year and that is tough to do especially when getting older. If healthy, both could be an upgrade for us either as starters or depth.

I honestly do not see Fred Miller making this situation any better. Reuben is another matter but I wonder if he is in playing shape. Best to look for cuts from other teams.

Peace :dabears

PS. Terra - Apparently you forgot about the game where the line quit on McNown and let the 49er's kill his arrogant ass. THAT was the worst performance I've ever seen by an O Line, although, it was intentional.

My favorite McNown moment. That's when you knew he was done as a Bear.

Guest TerraTor
Pix, I hope so. But they call it preseason for a reason. These guys could still come together. If they don't we better keep 6 QB's.

There may be a few "we cut him early so he could catch on with someone else" cuts made this week. Those players could be better than Miller/Brown. We'll see. Most of the cap casualties are already out there, I believe. I seriously doubt JA will leave things as they are.

Ah well, at least Forte was given the opportunity to display his blocking skills.

Haha, i honestly dont recall that.

Guest TerraTor

I really think we need to trade some picks or something for an upper level young OT. our great 1st round choice is done for the year and Tait is 33. So what could it possibly hurt. At this point we may not score a TD on offense all season. Its a shame because I see superstar potential in Forte's game

I honestly do not see Fred Miller making this situation any better. Reuben is another matter but I wonder if he is in playing shape. Best to look for cuts from other teams.

If we added Miller, I think the staff would be moving Tait back to LT and St. Clair to LG. Um, that would be the OL we finished w/ last year, and we all recall how great our OL was last year.

The sick thing is, it is possible our OL this year could be worse. I have said it for weeks, but like our coaches, I think many on this board have been going off a few too many assumptions. Assume Williams will be capable of starting, and an upgrade to Tait. Then assuming St. Clair, a journeymen veteran, can man the most difficult position on the line. Then assuming Beekman, who had shown nothing, could start at LG and be an upgrade. Assume Tait is fine on the right because last years issues are solved by the position move.

I was hopeful too, but the reality is, our OL sucks.

I really think we need to trade some picks or something for an upper level young OT. our great 1st round choice is done for the year and Tait is 33. So what could it possibly hurt. At this point we may not score a TD on offense all season. Its a shame because I see superstar potential in Forte's game

NEVER trade high picks when you are not a good team. Its one thing to trade a late 1st round pick, and another to pull a NO, who thought they would be good w/ the addition of Ricky, and their pick ended up a top 5 pick.

This is my thought as well. There is no possible way, knowing that Williams is going to be gone for an extended amount of time that an NFL executive could think this line will hold up during the season. They have to be shopping for a guard and a tackle now. If they arent and the season goes the way we all think, JA might be in trouble.

My favorite McNown moment. That's when you knew he was done as a Bear.

Nearly forgot about that but that's true it was the worst effort. McClown had practically thrown everyone under the bus and then got in and drove the bus.

But if we're talking worst effort when they were actually trying, last night would be right up there. Watching the game it became clear to me that it won't matter who you have back there they better have the ambulance warmed up and ready for every offensive possession. I'm not sure if Grossman may not want the job. The collection of Turnstiles we have protecting our QB is a joke.

I would think the pressure is on Jerry to get this fixed before someone gets killed or we wrap our QB in bubble wrap.

Then again, maybe that is the best way to evaluate our QBs. I don't care what we do between now and the start of the season, I think any hope for a great OL is false hope. Most likely, our QBs are going to be spending a lot of time under pressure this year, thus seeing what they do now under pressure may be a better evaluation than if (like in the KC game) the OL actually looks good and protects the QB.

Whoever is going to start for us will face a ton of pressure. We should accept that and see who deals w/ the pressure better now.

The bigger problem with the performance of the oline last night is that you can't really get a good evaluation of the QBs. U cant evaluate the QB when at the end of his 5 step drop he is getting hit.

Whoever is going to start for us will face a ton of pressure. We should accept that and see who deals w/ the pressure better now.

Gotta agree with you there. A good OL will make just about any QB look better than they might be in that they will have all the time in the world (figuratively) to throw the ball to an open receiver, however, every OL eventually blows it and pressure is given to the QB to deal with. If Grossman &/or Orton can not deal with pressure from the defense, we are in a world of sh#t. Best find out now which one will survive the pressure and make good decisions.

With that being said, I strongly suspect we will see an announcement very soon as to who our starter will be. I have to believe they would want that decision made before the start of next week's game.

name='azbearsfan' date='Aug 17 2008, 11:00 AM' post='44127']

The bigger problem with the performance of the oline last night is that you can't really get a good evaluation of the QBs. U cant evaluate the QB when at the end of his 5 step drop he is getting hit.

That is why we need to name a QB and starting WR's today. I called for this last week as well. The main reason is that we to stabilize all other positions so the OL will know what to block for. Right now, you have the "who does what best package". This line of thinking is why I've been down on Lovie. Smart strong coaches like Parcells, Belichick, Cowher etc... would have come in and said, we are going to start by getting one thing right, then we'll work on the rest. I have never seen a situation this far into training camp where NOTHING is solidified. TC battles should have been over with this offense. It's hard enough fielding an NFL caliber offense with talent, timing, play selection, scheme and execution coming into play. We've had all year to figure this out.

If we added Miller, I think the staff would be moving Tait back to LT and St. Clair to LG. Um, that would be the OL we finished w/ last year, and we all recall how great our OL was last year.

The sick thing is, it is possible our OL this year could be worse. I have said it for weeks, but like our coaches, I think many on this board have been going off a few too many assumptions. Assume Williams will be capable of starting, and an upgrade to Tait. Then assuming St. Clair, a journeymen veteran, can man the most difficult position on the line. Then assuming Beekman, who had shown nothing, could start at LG and be an upgrade. Assume Tait is fine on the right because last years issues are solved by the position move.

I was hopeful too, but the reality is, our OL sucks.

Not me, I've dubbed this the worse offensive unit I've ever seen in the national football league. Just way too many question-marks throughout the squad and the biggest Q is a horrendous line. Tom Brady could be the QB and this offense wouldn't be in the top half of the NFL. Things could change but i feel awful for Kyle/Rex cause neither of them have much of a shot.

I agree, anything is better than what were currently have. I do not want to see our QB get killed back there. Grossman was hit so many times in the 1st Quarter that he started to bleed. I don't care if it was small cut on the nose or not, just the fact that the Oline couldn't do anything.

Regarding this OL topic, read my signature line. Aside from me and nfo, not many were on board with an OL heavy draft. While I think Forte and Bennett have a chance to be very good, I would much rather have seen at least two more OL prospects drafted. The Bears were in a position to pick up some highly regarded talent, but didn't do it.

And now there's a situation where the QB, RB, WR, and TE position can't be properly evaluated because the OL is so bad. There is simply no way to know how well a QB will make a read when he's being hit and pressured every play. There are no reads other than the "hot read". There's no way to know how well a RB will see a cutback lane when he's being cross body blocked by a DT behind the line of scrimmage. There is no way of knowing if a WR or a TE will get separation and catch the ball, because the play never gets time to develop, and the QB never gets a chance to throw the ball where is should be.

This is a bad situation all around, but it could have been lessened if the Bears went heavy on the OL.

So, you would be part of the "not many". Your post proves you are included in the "stockpile OL" camp. Many other places in the message boards' archives, however, had adamant opposition to the thought of drafting OL with multiple high draft picks.

With that being said, I strongly suspect we will see an announcement very soon as to who our starter will be. I have to believe they would want that decision made before the start of next week's game.

I think the decision has been made. IMHO, if they were still unsure, we would have seen more of Orton in the game. Now w/ that said, it could still go either way. They could feel they saw enough good from Rex, and thus there was no need to keep Orton in there longer. Or, more likely IMHO, they could have felt Orton had the edge leading into the game, Rex needed to do something w/ his playing time, and if they didn't feel he did, Rex may have made their decision (in favor of Orton) for them.