Nay sayers Eat crow

GrizzlyBear

I might be one of the biggest naysayers on here, but I was pleasantly stunned. I still want to see if the defense keeps this up (I know they are capable of doing this on a weekly basis though). However, I still have issues with the WR Corps and the oline. The oline did do a good job though so they might be able to prove themselves solid by seasons end, however, the WR corps is going to be a continuing weak point.

It takes some conceit to look at these preseason games and think you know the Bears season is a bust. Every position on the team had at least one good game this preseason. That was enough for me to know it was possible the Bears could pull it together. At one point I even claimed that I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears make it back to the Super Bowl (before clarifying that certainly didn't mean I thought it was probable). Granted, even now it won't surprise me if the Bears finish 7-9, but unlike last year, Mike Brown made it through the whole game and we clearly have at least a competitive team. I think the best argument the naysayers had was that our coordinators haven't proven they're not weak links...and if fact I'm still worried about them.

It takes some conceit to look at these preseason games and think you know the Bears season is a bust. Every position on the team had at least one good game this preseason. That was enough for me to know it was possible the Bears could pull it together. At one point I even claimed that I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears make it back to the Super Bowl (before clarifying that certainly didn't mean I thought it was probable). Granted, even now it won't surprise me if the Bears finish 7-9, but unlike last year, Mike Brown made it through the whole game and we clearly have at least a competitive team. I think the best argument the naysayers had was that our coordinators haven't proven they're not weak links...and if fact I'm still worried about them.

I actually disagree about the coordinators. Both had plans, stuck with them, and ran them well. Good enough for me.

I actually disagree about the coordinators. Both had plans, stuck with them, and ran them well. Good enough for me.

Agree also. One game does not bump you to greatness. I did like the D being more agressive though. And Turner did get Kyle to direct the time superbly. Hey, I was scared going in, though I did pick us to win. There were so many uncertinties--Oline, D, RB, etc., but this game gave me a good supply of Kool Aide for a bit! :dabears

Agree also. One game does not bump you to greatness. I did like the D being more agressive though. And Turner did get Kyle to direct the time superbly. Hey, I was scared going in, though I did pick us to win. There were so many uncertinties--Oline, D, RB, etc., but this game gave me a good supply of Kool Aide for a bit! :dabears

I am very happy for the outcome. However, as I like to play the devil's advocate, they (Bears) will need to be sure and keep focused and work off this win. I want to be sure that this win wasn't more the Colts not playing very well than the Bears really playing well. Payton Manning didn't look all that hot....probably too much off time. But hey...a win is a win is a win.

Forte = AWESOME. Definite difference from Benson. Especially after that hit with Sanders. Think that Benson would have stayed out.

Orton = Definte leader. He looked POISED and VERY CONFIDENT and ready to lead this team. I think they did good in making him the C.

I think we may have us a team here....15 more to go.

I am very happy for the outcome. However, as I like to play the devil's advocate, they (Bears) will need to be sure and keep focused and work off this win. I want to be sure that this win wasn't more the Colts not playing very well than the Bears really playing well. Payton Manning didn't look all that hot....probably too much off time. But hey...a win is a win is a win.

I think the Bears D contributed to Manning Not playing well, A pro like that will get into a rythm no matter how much time off, He just could not get there because the D was superior last night. They have to keep this up to be competitive.

The D was awesome last night because they beat Manning at his own game. We showed up full force at the LOS every single play and that wouldn't let him check out of pass plays to runs which he loves to do. We essentially showed him the same stacked look all night and then just let our LB run back into coverage or blitz. This left the DBs with the knowledge that they would almost always be in pass coverage and they just stuck to the plan of keeping everything underneath. With so many guys committed to the LOS we had the run stopped without support from the DBs. We gave up some plays for sure but overall it worked beautifully.

The D was awesome last night because they beat Manning at his own game. We showed up full force at the LOS every single play and that wouldn't let him check out of pass plays to runs which he loves to do. We essentially showed him the same stacked look all night and then just let our LB run back into coverage or blitz. This left the DBs with the knowledge that they would almost always be in pass coverage and they just stuck to the plan of keeping everything underneath. With so many guys committed to the LOS we had the run stopped without support from the DBs. We gave up some plays for sure but overall it worked beautifully.

I was listening to Bill Polian after the game, because I live in the Indy area and thought he summed it up similarly.

He said that the Colts knew what they were going to see before they saw it. But, the Bears simply executed the plan so well they couldn't do anything about it. He also went on to say that they simply were beat up by a more physical football team. One other thing he did note that really perked my ears up was the Super Bowl. He made comment of us missing Harris and Brown on defense and that the same offensive mistakes were NOT present in last nights game. Lastly, the main thing that got me was he gave our offense credit for winning the game, by saying the NFL standard for 3rd down conversions is around 40% and the Bears put 63% percent on them. Anytime you convert 63% of the time and rush173 yards, you win in the NFL. Period.

I make no bones about who I think the best GM in the NFL is. I loved what he said about our team. If you know Polian, he is not a diplomat.

I was listening to Bill Polian after the game, because I live in the Indy area and thought he summed it up similarly.

He said that the Colts knew what they were going to see before they saw it. But, the Bears simply executed the plan so well they couldn't do anything about it. He also went on to say that they simply were beat up by a more physical football team. One other thing he did note that really perked my ears up was the Super Bowl. He made comment of us missing Harris and Brown on defense and that the same offensive mistakes were NOT present in last nights game. Lastly, the main thing that got me was he gave our offense credit for winning the game, by saying the NFL standard for 3rd down conversions is around 40% and the Bears put 63% percent on them. Anytime you convert 63% of the time and rush173 yards, you win in the NFL. Period.

I make no bones about who I think the best GM in the NFL is. I loved what he said about our team. If you know Polian, he is not a diplomat.

Thanks for that info, very interesting information from a guy I respect a lot for his football IQ.

One game does not negate all of the legitimate concerns that many have, but the win surely begins to answers some of the issues that have been presented as possible worries. I would think that Forte/Jones is a huge improvement on last year, so far the OLine has looked good, the defense looked like everyone thought it should have all along, and Orton will not kill us and may well prove to be a top flight QB. Those answers alone make a huge difference.

Now we have to pray against any injuries, still hope to get a body or two on the OLine in case of injury, and pray Kyle isn't having his face plastered all over the net slobbering down JD. I believe that if the team hits on all cylinders it could very well go to the Super Bowl....and win!

Great Article Noots. I can't remember the last time we had a game grade out this high. It certainly has been awhile.

Maybe we should have given "Horns" to the female reporter who was interviewing Forte and Urlacher. She definitely blew it telling Urlacher that no one expected the Bears to beat the Colts and it could be argued with the look on Brian's face when she told him that and his response to her, I am sure he would have loved to put her in the "hardest hits" area as well. :stick

Come on now, who really thought the Bears would beat the Colts? Not many of us, and if Urlacher is not mature or intelligent enough to handle a question like that without making a face, that speaks for itself. The guy is not Einstein. No reporter, male or female, would ignore the obvious question of the fact that the Bears were not expected to beat the Colts. Too bad that the biggest face of the Bears has the IQ of a monkey, but at least he can play. Hopefully he will continue to perform at a high level this year and help the Bears get some big wins!

Come on now, who really thought the Bears would beat the Colts? Not many of us, and if Urlacher is not mature or intelligent enough to handle a question like that without making a face, that speaks for itself. The guy is not Einstein. No reporter, male or female, would ignore the obvious question of the fact that the Bears were not expected to beat the Colts. Too bad that the biggest face of the Bears has the IQ of a monkey, but at least he can play. Hopefully he will continue to perform at a high level this year and help the Bears get some big wins!

Me and Bearsox called it

and if Urlacher is not mature or intelligent enough to handle a question like that without making a face, that speaks for itself. The guy is not Einstein. No reporter, male or female, would ignore the obvious question of the fact that the Bears were not expected to beat the Colts. Too bad that the biggest face of the Bears has the IQ of a monkey, but at least he can play.

Sorry, but that's just a jackass comment. Most on this board who have IQ's higher than a monkey thought it was great, both in words and "the expression". My vote is for classic!

I don't know if Butkus saw that Urlacher interview. The "face" was a very subtle and quick natural reaction. It actually showed maturity IMO because you saw that he is his own man, has high expectations, and doesnt' let the fickle media shape his team's self-value.

Nevertheless, the spread was like 9.5 or something. From an outsiders perspective, that should sound like an upset if you ask me. So I also think some Bears fans are being dramatic with their insults at Andrea Kramer.

Sorry, but that's just a jackass comment. Most on this board who have IQ's higher than a monkey thought it was great, both in words and "the expression". My vote is for classic!

I admittedly did not see the "face," so I have to say maybe I was speaking out of turn.

That being said, I am not a big Urlacher fan at the moment, and having seen some of the players comments after the game I got the impression they were feeling underestimated and how obvious it was they would beat the Colts. Hard for me to understand that line of thinking.... I guess Urlacher and Briggs particularly have some ways to go to proving to me they deserve respect, with all of their immature language and behaviour this past year. Not to mention the fact that the whole D has alot to prove after last year's debacle...

I hope the players are believing in themselves and that their belief helps translate to some results like Monday for the whole year! I am sure we can agree on that...