Where was the running game?

OmahaBear

The Bears were ahead early and they put in Jones to save on the wear on Forte. Also Forte wasn't as effective on the ground because the LB were selling out hard against the run and they weren't giving the cut back lane. But Forte once again showed what a receiving threat he was out of the backfield.

I think we'll see more of Jones as the season wears on, especially if the Bears are able to put away opponents early. Jones was effective when he was in for Forte.

I wouldn't judge Forte's value just on his production on the ground. The fact that he leads the Bears in receptions means he will never be totally shut down.

Good to hear he was effective as a receiver and Jones got some carries. Really surprised at Orton's numbers, but then again it was Detroit. But at least teams might be a little more concerned about our passing game. Looks like Olsen stepped up.

I was very impressed with Orton. I do not care who the opponent is, anyone who plays like he did today should get just praise. Great job Kyle!!

I was very impressed with Orton. I do not care who the opponent is, anyone who plays like he did today should get just praise. Great job Kyle!!

Agreed. Let's hope Kyle can build off this game. What a difference a yr makes. Griese killed us in D'toilet last yr.

Peace :dabears

I agree with what's been said in this thread so far. Forte's numbers did look awful low in. But there are reasons.

1. Detroit was determined not to let us run all over them they feared the run more than the pass and we lit them up.

2. Forte barely sniffed the field in the second half if at all. Second half was mostly Jones, and Wolfe.

3. I don't know that there was a lot of creativity to our run game. It seemed almost all our runs were between the tackles and Detroit was getting good penetration. So it was tough sledding.

If the passing game continues to be effective and improves that will make it a lot easier to run

On Orton,

I think he's shown improvement as the season has progressed. Remember his last extended action was in 2005. He's spent most of his time holding the clipboard. Early on in the season it seemed like throw beyond 10 yards was adventure and we were lucky if it was anywere within 5 yards a of the intended reciever. Over the coarse of the first 5 games he seems to be showing most of his improvement in his accuracy beyond 10-15 yards. He still struggles with the deep ball. But given his improvement to this point I think that might come around again. Once he can hit the deep ball from time to time it should loosen up the coverage. Right now I doubt anyone's concerned about the deep ball because so far he's yet to come close to completing it.

I was impressed with Olsen yesterday also. What I saw yesterday is what I had envisioned when we drafted him.

2.9 yard average.

While I like what Fortes done his yards have gone down every week

123, 92, 89, 43, 36

Is it just a matter of teams stacking to put the onus on Orton & if Orton plays well from here on it will loosen things up again?

2 reasons. Teams know he can run and do everything to try to stop him. We also let him sit some this game giving Jones much more carries.

It boeds well that Orton is moving the ball well and making D's pay for stacking. Also, kudos to Forte for getting the tough yards he NEEDS to get!

2.9 yard average.

123, 92, 89, 43, 36

Is it just a matter of teams stacking to put the onus on Orton & if Orton plays well from here on it will loosen things up again?

More than his total rushing yards, his YPC is a concern of mine, as that has continually gone down as well.

5.3 - 4.0 - 3.3 - 2.3 - 2.4

I realize teams are stacking up against him, but have we given a pass to prior RBs for this same reason? Teams have stacked the box against us for a long time now. This year is no different. A.Train, T.Jones, Benson, AP all faced stacked boxes, yet I do not recall this being considered a legit excuse.

And as for Det stacking the box against us, wanna bet they stacked against SF too? Does anyone here think Det geared up to stop JT O'Sullivan, rather than Gore. And yet, against a stacked box, Gore had 27-130 and a 4.8 ypc average.

So while I am thrilled overall w/ Orton and the rest of the offense, I am not sure we should so easily/quickly write off how Forte's run game struggles. I love the kid, as does everyone here, but he needs to start producing.

2.9 yard average.

123, 92, 89, 43, 36

More than his total rushing yards, his YPC is a concern of mine, as that has continually gone down as well.

5.3 - 4.0 - 3.3 - 2.3 - 2.4

I realize teams are stacking up against him, but have we given a pass to prior RBs for this same reason? Teams have stacked the box against us for a long time now. This year is no different. A.Train, T.Jones, Benson, AP all faced stacked boxes, yet I do not recall this being considered a legit excuse.

And as for Det stacking the box against us, wanna bet they stacked against SF too? Does anyone here think Det geared up to stop JT O'Sullivan, rather than Gore. And yet, against a stacked box, Gore had 27-130 and a 4.8 ypc average.

So while I am thrilled overall w/ Orton and the rest of the offense, I am not sure we should so easily/quickly write off how Forte's run game struggles. I love the kid, as does everyone here, but he needs to start producing.

given that detroit certainly knows mike martz's distaste for running the ball and tendancy to pass like 70% of the time i doubt they stacked the box against SF, but i could be wrong, didnt watch the tape

i think the real forte is probably a balance between what he did against indy and what he did today....week 4 was tough, philly had the best run D in the league heading into this week (though portis lit em up)...i just appreciate that forte is so versatile and can be a great threat throwing out of the backfield

i think our offensive lines run blocking should be a concern more than forte. the holes just aren't there plus we aren't getting much push off the LOS.

i give forte a lot of credit for just getting what he is getting.

I understand that, and agree, but again, was that an exceptible excuse for former RBs of ours? Last year, Benson faced stacked boxes and ran behind an awful OL, but that didn't seem to matter to fans.

I am NOT trying to say Benson is jack squat, or compare the two. I am only making the point that fans seem to be giving Forte a bit of a pass here. If any of our previous RBs, including TJ, put up weak numbers (particularly the YPC) like Forte, fans would be all over them.

i think our offensive lines run blocking should be a concern more than forte. the holes just aren't there plus we aren't getting much push off the LOS.

i give forte a lot of credit for just getting what he is getting.

nfo, I follow, but I htink you're missing the point.

While Forte's YPC may not be lightning in a bottle, the yards he is getting are needed.

He is getting firsts, extending drives,etc... It's not the number of yards as much, but when those yards are gained and what the result is.

For a rookie, getting those yards is not only great, it's amazing. He is playing with an awareness some veterans never get...

I understand that, and agree, but again, was that an exceptible excuse for former RBs of ours? Last year, Benson faced stacked boxes and ran behind an awful OL, but that didn't seem to matter to fans.

I am NOT trying to say Benson is jack squat, or compare the two. I am only making the point that fans seem to be giving Forte a bit of a pass here. If any of our previous RBs, including TJ, put up weak numbers (particularly the YPC) like Forte, fans would be all over them.

While Forte's YPC may not be lightning in a bottle, the yards he is getting are needed.

He is getting firsts, extending drives,etc... It's not the number of yards as much, but when those yards are gained and what the result is.

I disagree. Converting a 3rd down is awesome, and I give him credit for that, but you can get a hard running FB if all you are expecting is to pickup a yard or two here and there. I think we are looking for much more from Forte, and I doubt you actually disagree w/ that.

Look, I am not just trying to bash the kid. I like him. I like much of what he brings to the table. At the same time, I think he needs to really step it up. I do not simply give him a pass due to stacked boxes or questionable OL. We have not given our RBs a pass for those issues in the past, so why now? Just because we like hiim?

He started out very strong, but while not taking away from that performance, I wonder if it looks a tad less as awful as Indy has been stopping the run. Then he looked good, not great, against Carolina. Okay, good so far, but the numbers really went down from there. He had 89 yard against TB, but that was more due to the number of carries (27) as he posted only a 3 ypc avg., and his long gain was only 11 yards. Still, not look bad. Then he faced a very good run defense, and was flat out stuffed (43 yards on 2.3 ypc). That was awful, but also against an elite defense. But then he got to face Detroit. The same Det who gave up more than 300 rushing yards to Atlanta, a team w/ a rookie QB and who you know Det stacked the box against. No stacked box against GB, but 123 rushing yards. And then Gore hits them for 130 yards on nearly 5 ypc avg.

Leading up to Det, fans were declaring Forte would have anywhere between 125 to 200 yards rushing. He gained 36 on a 2.4 ypc avg. Fans can come up w/ excuse after excuse, but why can we not simply say he didn't get it done, and needs to step up? By the way, while far from great, Kevin Jones had an equal number of yards, on 5 fewer carries.

Forte is a very good looking RB, and I like him, but at the same time, he needs to step up his game. His numbers have fallen every week since the start, and we need to see him take that role as our lead RB.

For a rookie, getting those yards is not only great, it's amazing. He is playing with an awareness some veterans never get...

I don't know about this. RB is a position you often see rookies do well, and this year is no exception.

I think you're just expecting a bit too much from this young man, nfo...

Let's not ring the alarm for crying out loud. 5 games in, and he's making an enourmous positive impact on this team. What do you say we let this play out a bit more before condemning him in a downward spiral?

RB has a better chance for rookies to do fairly well compared to some other positions, but there is no guarantee, as we all well should know.

Sure, we'd all love every player on this team to step up their game, but if this young man gives this team what he has been, I'm going to quite pleased.

I disagree. Converting a 3rd down is awesome, and I give him credit for that, but you can get a hard running FB if all you are expecting is to pickup a yard or two here and there. I think we are looking for much more from Forte, and I doubt you actually disagree w/ that.

Look, I am not just trying to bash the kid. I like him. I like much of what he brings to the table. At the same time, I think he needs to really step it up. I do not simply give him a pass due to stacked boxes or questionable OL. We have not given our RBs a pass for those issues in the past, so why now? Just because we like hiim?

He started out very strong, but while not taking away from that performance, I wonder if it looks a tad less as awful as Indy has been stopping the run. Then he looked good, not great, against Carolina. Okay, good so far, but the numbers really went down from there. He had 89 yard against TB, but that was more due to the number of carries (27) as he posted only a 3 ypc avg., and his long gain was only 11 yards. Still, not look bad. Then he faced a very good run defense, and was flat out stuffed (43 yards on 2.3 ypc). That was awful, but also against an elite defense. But then he got to face Detroit. The same Det who gave up more than 300 rushing yards to Atlanta, a team w/ a rookie QB and who you know Det stacked the box against. No stacked box against GB, but 123 rushing yards. And then Gore hits them for 130 yards on nearly 5 ypc avg.

Leading up to Det, fans were declaring Forte would have anywhere between 125 to 200 yards rushing. He gained 36 on a 2.4 ypc avg. Fans can come up w/ excuse after excuse, but why can we not simply say he didn't get it done, and needs to step up? By the way, while far from great, Kevin Jones had an equal number of yards, on 5 fewer carries.

Forte is a very good looking RB, and I like him, but at the same time, he needs to step up his game. His numbers have fallen every week since the start, and we need to see him take that role as our lead RB.

I don't know about this. RB is a position you often see rookies do well, and this year is no exception.

I agree with Nfo, who's really not being as critical as some of you may be thinking.

Based on results and stats, Forte's not putting out what we ultimately want from him, but then again, in terms of sitting there watcing his play with our own eyes, you can see the talent and understand he's not as far from that goal as his stats would suggest. That's exactly how I felt about Orton during the first quarter of the season, yet almost nobody was tripping all over themselves "to be fair" (so to speak) about him the way they are Forte. So I find it very strange. Sort of like "Am I on the right messageboard?" :unsure: But it's a refreshing change. After the Benson debacle, JA needed a great pick at RB. It's easy to see the upside with Forte so I think he's going to work out.