2009 FA class.......

Pixote

I went to a KFFL article to check out the 2009 FA Class Article and found some interesting names on the list.

In regards to free agent WRs that might be available (some may have already signed extensions since this article was put up or may sign before the FA period begins):

TJH from CIN I think is a true #1 WR who could start as a #1 on any team in the NFL. However, I am sure he will be well sought after and very expensive. I wonder if the Bears would persue him?

Bobby Engram is obviously near the end of his career but is still a great possession WR on 3rd down situations.

J. Gaffney I think is the sleeper of the bunch. He is buried behind Wes Walker and R Moss so does not get many looks but from what I have seen is an excellent WR.

Lance Moore is a kick butt WR with speed but I can not believe NOS would be foolish enough to let him walk.

The above 4 are all listed as UFAs and any would be an upgrade for our WR group.

Of course there are going to disgruntled WRs who want to be traded but I can not see JA trading away 1st day draft picks for a WR. I just do not think he would take the plunge.

For the record, pretty sure Lance Moore is a RFA. That is how he is listed in PFW. Also, if you check, he is in his 3rd season, so the 4th should be restricted. They way he has played this year, you can bet they will slap a 1st, and maybe 1st and 3rd level tag on him.

For the record, pretty sure Lance Moore is a RFA. That is how he is listed in PFW. Also, if you check, he is in his 3rd season, so the 4th should be restricted. They way he has played this year, you can bet they will slap a 1st, and maybe 1st and 3rd level tag on him.

Damn, if he is a RFA forget it, he is good enough to get the franchise tag. He has become Brees' favorite WR target and like I said before NOS would be friggin' idiots to let him walk.

Regarding the 3 UFAs you mention,

TJ - Looks like the top of the class, and will be paid a bundle. I think he is worth it, but he is not young and the cost will be great.

Engram - One of my all time favorites, and prior to this year, he defied his age. But w/ age comes injuries, and just as bad, it becomes harder to heal from and play through injuries. Not a fan of adding Engram, unless its as a WR coach.

Gaffney - I think it is more than just being buried behind greats. He was w/ Houston for 4 years, and now NE for three. I think the reality he, he is nice depth, but not a guy you want to count on.

There are others on the list who may raise an eye brow, and may evoke a bit of interest, but here is the thing (at least for me). Other than TJ Hous..., I do not see a #1 WR on the list. There are a few decent #2s, a host of #3s, and a few less than proven players who could become #2s, but I am not sure I really even see any potential "#1s". So in FA, its TJ, and then a huge dropoff. Then there is the Boldin potential, but I still have to question what sort of compensation we would be talking about.

That is part of why I have really started to think more and more about the draft. I know all about the bust potential in the draft, but at the same time, it really looks like we have limited options.

Damn, if he is a RFA forget it, he is good enough to get the franchise tag. He has become Brees' favorite WR target and like I said before NOS would be friggin' idiots to let him walk.

Yea, they will tender him at the highest level, which would require a 1st and 3rd. If I am going to give that up, I think I would just as soon get Boldin.

I think you're right.

If we don't spend the loot to get TJ or wheel n' deal for Boldin, the only real option is in the draft.

The rest are band-aid's at best and too much of what we've seen for far too many years come around here.

Regarding the 3 UFAs you mention,

TJ - Looks like the top of the class, and will be paid a bundle. I think he is worth it, but he is not young and the cost will be great.

Engram - One of my all time favorites, and prior to this year, he defied his age. But w/ age comes injuries, and just as bad, it becomes harder to heal from and play through injuries. Not a fan of adding Engram, unless its as a WR coach.

Gaffney - I think it is more than just being buried behind greats. He was w/ Houston for 4 years, and now NE for three. I think the reality he, he is nice depth, but not a guy you want to count on.

There are others on the list who may raise an eye brow, and may evoke a bit of interest, but here is the thing (at least for me). Other than TJ Hous..., I do not see a #1 WR on the list. There are a few decent #2s, a host of #3s, and a few less than proven players who could become #2s, but I am not sure I really even see any potential "#1s". So in FA, its TJ, and then a huge dropoff. Then there is the Boldin potential, but I still have to question what sort of compensation we would be talking about.

That is part of why I have really started to think more and more about the draft. I know all about the bust potential in the draft, but at the same time, it really looks like we have limited options.

Yea, that is the thing. I look at the list (outside TJ) and really don't see much different from what we have, or what we have tried. I mean, you see a guy like Antonio Bryant, and I think Brandon Lloyd. You see Engram, and I think Booker. It just seems like we have for too long picked up spares, hoping they could become servicable players. I just am not sure what I see different from this list.

I think you're right.

If we don't spend the loot to get TJ or wheel n' deal for Boldin, the only real option is in the draft.

The rest are band-aid's at best and too much of what we've seen for far too many years come around here.

Yea, that is the thing. I look at the list (outside TJ) and really don't see much different from what we have, or what we have tried. I mean, you see a guy like Antonio Bryant, and I think Brandon Lloyd. You see Engram, and I think Booker. It just seems like we have for too long picked up spares, hoping they could become servicable players. I just am not sure what I see different from this list.

I'll 3rd that motion. Unless we get a stud like Boldin, we might as well try to develop in house. I still believe Boldin can be a true asset given we are set at TE and RB. Like the same parallel we discussed with Faneca last year, I feel Boldin can eevate our other recivers, take pressure off Forte and the TE's and consequently take pressure off Orton and the OL by being a threat that can get open on any given play and potentially require double coverage. I think Faneca is paying dividends. Is the price too high for Boldin? I'm really not sure. Creativity will be needed...

If Boldin were an UFA, I would be all over this. Would the financial cost be high. Hell yes. Would it be worth the price. I think so.

The problem is, to get Boldin will require a trade, as well as then signing him to that same ridiculously high contract he will demand. Again, the financial cost may well be woth it, but in combination w/ the loss of picks? I have to believe the starting price is going to be a 1st round pick, and likely more. I think most here would agree, we are more than a WR away from the SB. Can a team w/ so many needs afford to give away high draft picks?

If we sign Boldin, I think we can assume we are not going to sign any other big ticket FAs. Then, add in not having a 1st round pick, and you have to wonder how well we can upgrade our OL. I think it is must we upgrade at both OL and WR, and I am simply not sure we can do that if we trade for Boldin.

I'll 3rd that motion. Unless we get a stud like Boldin, we might as well try to develop in house. I still believe Boldin can be a true asset given we are set at TE and RB. Like the same parallel we discussed with Faneca last year, I feel Boldin can eevate our other recivers, take pressure off Forte and the TE's and consequently take pressure off Orton and the OL by being a threat that can get open on any given play and potentially require double coverage. I think Faneca is paying dividends. Is the price too high for Boldin? I'm really not sure. Creativity will be needed...

If Boldin were an UFA, I would be all over this. Would the financial cost be high. Hell yes. Would it be worth the price. I think so.

The problem is, to get Boldin will require a trade, as well as then signing him to that same ridiculously high contract he will demand. Again, the financial cost may well be woth it, but in combination w/ the loss of picks? I have to believe the starting price is going to be a 1st round pick, and likely more. I think most here would agree, we are more than a WR away from the SB. Can a team w/ so many needs afford to give away high draft picks?

If we sign Boldin, I think we can assume we are not going to sign any other big ticket FAs. Then, add in not having a 1st round pick, and you have to wonder how well we can upgrade our OL. I think it is must we upgrade at both OL and WR, and I am simply not sure we can do that if we trade for Boldin.

Cooler heads will prevail. After calling for Boldin yesterday, and thinking about all the other holes we've got, I just don't think Boldin is cost productive for us. And you know that JA will not give up the house for him. So, let's solidify the O and D lines first. That's my dO.

Cooler heads will prevail. After calling for Boldin yesterday, and thinking about all the other holes we've got, I just don't think Boldin is cost productive for us. And you know that JA will not give up the house for him. So, let's solidify the O and D lines first. That's my dO.

I agree, and although we might not be able to get a #1 in FA, we can still upgrade over the crap we currently are fielding at WR. With good TEs & a kick butt RB we can still be effective on Offense if we can upgrade our OL and address holes in our D.

BEARS made an offer to BB last yr and he went on to get 16 mill guaranteed from the vikes and left town.

Boldin is going to want even more than B2 so I can't see him joining the BEARS next yr.

The draft appears to be the place BEARS will have to go to upgrade. I just don't want them using their

first pick on a WR. Anything else is fine.

Changing gears a little here. I've supported Drake the receivers coach in the past but not any more.

I have serious doubts he has the ability to develop receivers. His track record is not good. He did develop

and played a nice role in Berrian progressing as a NFL receiver but that's about it.

So drafting any receiver and then having Drake as his coach next yr isn't a pleasant thought.

BEARS made an offer to BB last yr and he went on to get 16 mill guaranteed from the vikes and left town.

Boldin is going to want even more than B2 so I can't see him joining the BEARS next yr.

The draft appears to be the place BEARS will have to go to upgrade. I just don't want them using their

first pick on a WR. Anything else is fine.

Changing gears a little here. I've supported Drake the receivers coach in the past but not any more.

I have serious doubts he has the ability to develop receivers. His track record is not good. He did develop

and played a nice role in Berrian progressing as a NFL receiver but that's about it.

So drafting any receiver and then having Drake as his coach next yr isn't a pleasant thought.

Boldin is also SIGNIFICANTLY better than Berrian. The Bears broke the bank to get Moose when he was the best WR in FA because of how big a need it was, they just knew Berrian wasnt worth the money. However, theyre not going to offer the kings ransom Arizona wants for Boldin so the only other real option is TJ or to load up on OL and go for a power game and use the tight ends more, similar to what the Titans do.

I agree, and although we might not be able to get a #1 in FA, we can still upgrade over the crap we currently are fielding at WR. With good TEs & a kick butt RB we can still be effective on Offense if we can upgrade our OL and address holes in our D.

I still haven't left my primary philosophy of OL and DL, so I definately agree with that. My hope is that we will hire a great D Coordinator and minimal investment will need to be made on that side of the ball. I still think we are really lacking at FS and DE. If we could get Graham and McBride to step up and start, we could move Nut to FS and Vasher to nickel while using a day one pick on a corner. DE is a different story. If we could that coordinator we need our DE's may be serviceable again. That leaves another OL pick and a WR pick on day one. If we luck out and get a 3rd for Berrian maybe we grab another OL or a run stuffer.

I'm also holding out hop for Boldin, maybe the Cards brass has a hard on for Hester(or someone else we have) and a trade could lessen the blow of lost draft picks. That's where I call for creativity. I don't want us to lose the farm for a player, but I still hold out hope that our window has not closed. I look at the Titans, Steelers and Giants as models for success of a team that does not ask too much of it's QB. We could / should be there with talent development and good coaching. We just desparately need a couple of peices. other holes can be patched.

Ding, ding, ding - on the button. Get Drake the hell out of town. How many more rookie WRs do we want him to underdevelop? Time for a change of direction.

Peace :dabears

the top priorities for this offseason are...

1. free safety

2. OL - guard AND right tackle

3. wide receiver

4. veteran backup quarterback

if there is a killer free safety in the draft pick him in round 1. if not find a better than good one in free agency if possible.

draft guard either in the 1st or second round. draft a right tackle in the second or third.

if boldin is the answer at wide out get him with this years #1 and another first day pick next year, then mix up the above need scenario. we certainly have the cash for boldin. the mccaskey's have already fattened their pockets with the interest on our $10 mil 7th round cornerback (who was that guy again?) so the cap rollover should pay for at least half his guaranteed salary upfront.

then we need a fa vet backup at qb to replace grossman.

1. free safety

3. wide receiver

if there is a killer free safety in the draft pick him in round 1. if not find a better than good one in free agency if possible.

draft guard either in the 1st or second round. draft a right tackle in the second or third.

if boldin is the answer at wide out get him with this years #1 and another first day pick next year, then mix up the above need scenario. we certainly have the cash for boldin. the mccaskey's have already fattened their pockets with the interest on our $10 mil 7th round cornerback (who was that guy again?) so the cap rollover should pay for at least half his guaranteed salary upfront.

I agree with everything you said except trading for Boldin. Cost will most likely be too high and we have too many other issues to resolve.

I agree free safety is one of our top priorities. IMHO, no defensive position comes close. But I still put OL and WR higher. For me, it is a matter of overall talent on each side of the ball. We are getting by w/ next to nothing on offense. I stil believe we have talent on defense, despite their not showing that on a consistent basis.

Also, if I had a preference, I would like to see what FS are available in FA. FS does not cost as much as WR, and frankly, I don't think they bank as much as OL anymore. So I think we can more cheaply add the top FS in FA than we could WR or OL. I also like the idea of a veteran directing our secondary back there. With that said, I am fine going after a FS in the draft. It is not my #1 option, but the position is high enough on my need that I would not take it off the board. If we do draft a FS, I want it to be a freaking FS. No more drafting in-the-box safeties. I am sick and tired of hearing our staff talk about how our two safety positions are inter-changable. They are not. I think we have seen enough evidence that a SS does not workout at FS.

Two other points.

Boldin - I so would love to get him, but I just do not see how we can do that when we have so many holes.

OL - I agree we need a RT, but I think OG is a higher need right now.

1. free safety

3. wide receiver

Maybe, maybe not. Columbo was a bit of a unique situation. He was Angelo's first 1st round pick, and I don't recall Angelo ever having a bad thing to say about him. Eventually, the belief was he simply would not be able to play football. Not just stay healthy, but I think there was a question whether he would be able to play football anymore. I also don't recall Columbo ever saying a bad thing about the bears.

The point is moot, but I just wanted to throw out there that Columbo was a bit of a different situation. Also, if Angelo was willing to bring back Booker, anything is possible.

well, I doubt we were ever interested in bringing Colombo back.

Det got a 1st, 3rd and 6th (all in 2009), plus a 7th in the following year. The 6th and 7th don't bother me, but I am not high on the idea of a 1st and 3rd in the same draft when we have so many other needs. Many are going to talk about giving a 1st next year and maybe a first day pick in the following year, but I think Az is going to be looking for at least what Det got. And why shouldn't they. Boldin is a superior WR to Roy Williams.

I agree with everything you said except trading for Boldin. Cost will most likely be too high and we have too many other issues to resolve.

Det got a 1st, 3rd and 6th (all in 2009), plus a 7th in the following year. The 6th and 7th don't bother me, but I am not high on the idea of a 1st and 3rd in the same draft when we have so many other needs. Many are going to talk about giving a 1st next year and maybe a first day pick in the following year, but I think Az is going to be looking for at least what Det got. And why shouldn't they. Boldin is a superior WR to Roy Williams.

Boldin will definately cost more.