Marinielli lands with the bears

bradjock

Agreed. I tend to think that if we get the DL fixed everything else on defense will fall into place.

It definitely will make things a bit easier for Url, Lance and Roach, as well as the DBs. And yes, glad he pick Lovie's squad.

Agreed. I tend to think that if we get the DL fixed everything else on defense will fall into place.

Exactly, unless the DL works, puts pressure on the QB with the front 4 and allows the LBs to play back in position, you can kiss the cover 2 goodbye, it will never work.

The article on the Official site has some amazing stats about the Tampa defense with Marinelli as DL Coach.

Official Bears' site confirmation of Marinelli Signing

The other thing is that he is going to be besides the DL coach is that he gets the title of Assistant Head Coach as well. Makes me nervous either way especially with his son-in-law probably coming in as well. May have to have faith in the adage that he may not be a great head coach however, may be just what this team needs and ideally let's get rid of Babich.

The other thing is that he is going to be besides the DL coach is that he gets the title of Assistant Head Coach as well. Makes me nervous either way especially with his son-in-law probably coming in as well. May have to have faith in the adage that he may not be a great head coach however, may be just what this team needs and ideally let's get rid of Babich.

I am guessing that Marinelli is going to have a lot of input in the operation of the defense and that Babich may be a lame duck DC. It is not unusual for a "assistant HC" to have a lot of input beyond that of their primary position, in this case, DL.

Exactly, unless the DL works, puts pressure on the QB with the front 4 and allows the LBs to play back in position, you can kiss the cover 2 goodbye, it will never work.

The article on the Official site has some amazing stats about the Tampa defense with Marinelli as DL Coach.

That D-line had Sapp, McFarland and Rice. Our only one that is remotely close is Harris. And he is no Sapp. Not knocking the post. I just don't want us to have false hope that Marinelli is the answer to what ails our D. I do agree, he's a good coach and a step up from what we had.

I agree that an upgraded defensive line makes the defense significantly better, not only would the rush defense improve but the pass defense and turnovers forced would improve significantly. I also believe the Bears need to make a personell upgrade on the defensive line trying to find a speed rusher who can really get to the QB and that could be addressed with our 1st round pick. Marinelli is similar scheme guy to Lovie, fits in well, but will also bring a bit more attitude to the coaching staff and that is something I really like. Plus as the assistant head coach he'll be very involved in the defense although unfortunately he won't be calling the defensive plays (we also have to remember he has zero experience calling defensive plays). I still wish they would have made a change with Babich though because I hate seeing Lovie settling and making excuses for his guys as the defense has failed both years under Babich after excelling under Rivera.

I expect Barry to be brought in next and it will be nice to have a guy with his qualifications and background coaching our linebackers. More importantly it's nice that Babich will now have another guy to bounce play calls off of since Lovie/Barry/Babich all have experience as a defensive coordinator. Plus I think we need to remember that BearSox brings valid points to the table in regards to the Bears picking up a guy that comes from a different scheme then what Lovie preaches since no matter what with Lovie as our HC your going to be running the cover 2 (although Rivera's unique difference was a breath of fresh air).

However, the biggest thing that makes the entire defense better is a consistent pass rush, they find that and we are talking about this D being a premiere D again, imo. The question is do we have the personell in house or does Angelo have some moves to make. I believe he has moves to make (especially at DE).

That D-line had Sapp, McFarland and Rice. Our only one that is remotely close is Harris. And he is no Sapp. Not knocking the post. I just don't want us to have false hope that Marinelli is the answer to what ails our D. I do agree, he's a good coach and a step up from what we had.

Rice was an excellent FA pickup that didn't need any help from Marinelli.

However, it was Marinelli who developed McFarland & Sapp. Hopefully he can do the same with Harrison & Harris.

Marinelli was hired as the defensive line coach and assistant head coach Saturday, reconnecting him with coach Lovie Smith. The two worked together with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and became close friends. Marinelli has been considered one of the finest line coaches in the league since early in his 10-year run at the position with the Bucs. He helped mold Sapp into the prototypical three-technique tackle.

Sapp long has credited Marinelli with helping him build a foundation for what should be a Hall of Fame career. He also credited Marinelli with the success of those stout Buccaneers defenses that reached their peak in 2002, when the team won Super Bowl XXXVII.‘‘He’s the one who made me believe that I could track down some of the great ones in the game and actually stand beside them,’’ Sapp said as a member of the Oakland Raiders. ‘‘I always just played this position and did whatever I [wanted]. He’s the one who opened my eyes to being a student of the game.’’

I hope we re-sign Brown. While I do not think Brown can play FS anymore, and feel FS is our top need on defense, at the same time, I also think Brown can still be an excellent SS, and showed that this year after he was moved. We have a couple young SS' (Payne/Steltz), but neither looked ready to take over. If we were to re-sign Brown, who I do not think would be expensive, it would allow us time to develop the young guys, and (B) allow us to draft a FS w/o losing the leadership in our secondary.

In fact, not just the secondary, but Mike Brown is the closest thing I have seen to leadership on our defense. While we have good to great players, I really would not call any of our players on defense (other than Brown) leaders. They may have the lead by example leadership, but only Brown seems to accept the vocal leadership duties. So I would love to re-sign Brown, but only so long as we are looking at him strictly as a SS, and seek out a good FS in either FA or the draft.

Would this be an ideal time to have Mike Brown as DB coach? I think he could do a hell of a job as such. Problem is he will want to play again, here or elsewhere.

Looks like his son-in-law is going to Seattle.

For me, this is a double bit of good news. While I hate that Marinelli is Lovie's old BFF, as well as strictly a cover two guy, I do like him as our DL coach, where he should actually be an upgrade for us. Also, if I read the Trib correct, his son-in-law will be taking the LB coaching job w/ Seattle.

As Berry made a point to talk about how much he would love to coach for Chicago/Lovie and continue to work w/ his father-in-law, the fact that he is going to coach the same position we have open in Seattle tells me we told him no thanks. I am flat out thrilled w/ this. Also, I have to wonder if that decision would have been Lovie, or if Angelo stepped in. I have a hard time seeing Lovie not wanting Berry, so I wonder if Angelo told him adding Marinelli is fine, but adding his son is more than fans could deal w/.

As per profootballtalk.com

Rice was an excellent FA pickup that didn't need any help from Marinelli.

that is like rubbing salt in an open wound. LOL

i remember when rice became a FA in 2001 and stated to the press he wanted to come to chicago and would work out a reasonable contract with them. i was drooling over the prospect that a free agent de who in his PRIME who averaged 10+ sacks a season in freakin arizona would come here. i thought it would be a sure thing.

but our brain trust at the time, mark hately (i believe it wasn't angie at that time yet, 2001, but could be wrong), decided rice wasn't a good fit in chicago as he was only good at rushing the qb and not as good against the run (i believe this was their reasoning at the time to the press in chicago) so he didn't even bother talking to him. or in reality was it that rice had spoken out against the cheap cardinal management and we certainly didn't want THAT in chicago.

in any case, rice went to tampa and proceeded to register double digit sacks for 5 straight years!!

hmmmm.... only good at sacking the qb. which is what we needed more than anything on this defense. how good would that have looked in the playoffs that year with rice our RDE? yet another major blunder by our franchise and the pretenders they had running it.

that is like rubbing salt in an open wound. LOL

i remember when rice became a FA in 2001 and stated to the press he wanted to come to chicago and would work out a reasonable contract with them. i was drooling over the prospect that a free agent de who in his PRIME who averaged 10+ sacks a season in freakin arizona would come here. i thought it would be a sure thing.

but our brain trust at the time, mark hately (i believe it wasn't angie at that time yet, 2001, but could be wrong), decided rice wasn't a good fit in chicago as he was only good at rushing the qb and not as good against the run (i believe this was their reasoning at the time to the press in chicago) so he didn't even bother talking to him. or in reality was it that rice had spoken out against the cheap cardinal management and we certainly didn't want THAT in chicago.

in any case, rice went to tampa and proceeded to register double digit sacks for 5 straight years!!

hmmmm.... only good at sacking the qb. which is what we needed more than anything on this defense. how good would that have looked in the playoffs that year with rice our RDE? yet another major blunder by our franchise and the pretenders they had running it.

If I remember it was the old "he is a cancer in the locker room" arguement.

Rice was a terribly selfish player on the Cardinals and he always neglected his assignments on D so he could just do one thing, go upfield and rush the QB. His locker room antics were just as bad and I don't regret not going after him.

For those who feel Marinelli had such better Dline talent in Tampa, are you the same ones who blame our coaches when our players perform poorly? The scouts bring in players with physical ability. The coaches have the responsiblity to turn that into production on the field. Marinelli's record on the Dine in Tampa is a good an indicator you can find that he's capable of doing this with a Dline. Even Rice turned into a more complete player when coached by Marinelli.

For those who feel Marinelli had such better Dline talent in Tampa, are you the same ones who blame our coaches when our players perform poorly? The scouts bring in players with physical ability. The coaches have the responsiblity to turn that into production on the field. Marinelli's record on the Dine in Tampa is a good an indicator you can find that he's capable of doing this with a Dline. Even Rice turned into a more complete player when coached by Marinelli.

Two things:

1st - I blame the players and coaches for our D-line performance. Their decline is not age or injury related. I really think our D is arrogant and the staff has not been able to reach them. Absolutely a two fold problem.

2nd - Do you think Harris and any DE we have, has the natural talent of Sapp and Rice? IMO - all NFL players have ability, but some are just freaks with talent beyond compare. Honing that talent is a different story.(see Alonzo Spellman)