Leftwich wants to play for Bears

fudgeripple2000

Per CBS Sportline:Leftwich dreaming of ... Bears?: Although his Steelers are still alive in the playoff hunt following their win over San Diego on Sunday, backup QB Byron Leftwich told the Chicago Sun-Times that he'd strongly consider an offer from the Bears if they courted him this offseason. Leftwich thought he'd be a Bear back when he was drafted, but Chicago traded out of the Top 5 and settled for Rex Grossman later in Round 1. Leftwich went to Jacksonville, then Atlanta, then inked a "prove-it" deal with the Steelers this year and played well in limited work while Ben Roethlisberger was hurt. "We are in the playoff run right now, so I don't even want to go there, but tell them to look me up," Leftwich told the paper. "I'm a fan of Lovie Smith, I'll just say that. I thought that was where I was going to go in the beginning. I remember hoping that I would go there. I just wanted to be a part of the tradition, the history of the Bears. You're growing up, watching games at Soldier Field on TV, I wanted to be a part of that coming out. I thought there was a chance I would go there. I want a chance to go somewhere and play. I guess everybody wanted to see if I am healthy, and now they can see it. I'm ready to play again."

In the spot work he had in Pittsburgh he did pretty well. I have always liked his size and arm. Hate his mobility. I still remember him marching his team down the field for Marshall. Well hobbling/carried more than marching. To me that looked like he was either a drama queen or tough as nails. I am still 40/60 on which one. But as a bear I think I would like it. He can put the ball down the field. It was painful this year to watch Orton fling the ball down field and I knew that as soon as the ball left his hands that I was hoping for pass interference because of Orton's deep ball being as accurate as my 3 year old spelling (not good). Hester has shown he can run and get the ball. Not to mention that teams figured out pretty quickly that they could cheat the safeties up knowing they wouldn't get beat deep.

As a #2, I say get him! If he outperforms Kyle, then make him #1...

Per CBS Sportline:Leftwich dreaming of ... Bears?: Although his Steelers are still alive in the playoff hunt following their win over San Diego on Sunday, backup QB Byron Leftwich told the Chicago Sun-Times that he'd strongly consider an offer from the Bears if they courted him this offseason. Leftwich thought he'd be a Bear back when he was drafted, but Chicago traded out of the Top 5 and settled for Rex Grossman later in Round 1. Leftwich went to Jacksonville, then Atlanta, then inked a "prove-it" deal with the Steelers this year and played well in limited work while Ben Roethlisberger was hurt. "We are in the playoff run right now, so I don't even want to go there, but tell them to look me up," Leftwich told the paper. "I'm a fan of Lovie Smith, I'll just say that. I thought that was where I was going to go in the beginning. I remember hoping that I would go there. I just wanted to be a part of the tradition, the history of the Bears. You're growing up, watching games at Soldier Field on TV, I wanted to be a part of that coming out. I thought there was a chance I would go there. I want a chance to go somewhere and play. I guess everybody wanted to see if I am healthy, and now they can see it. I'm ready to play again."

In the spot work he had in Pittsburgh he did pretty well. I have always liked his size and arm. Hate his mobility. I still remember him marching his team down the field for Marshall. Well hobbling/carried more than marching. To me that looked like he was either a drama queen or tough as nails. I am still 40/60 on which one. But as a bear I think I would like it. He can put the ball down the field. It was painful this year to watch Orton fling the ball down field and I knew that as soon as the ball left his hands that I was hoping for pass interference because of Orton's deep ball being as accurate as my 3 year old spelling (not good). Hester has shown he can run and get the ball. Not to mention that teams figured out pretty quickly that they could cheat the safeties up knowing they wouldn't get beat deep.

I've always been a fan. I definitely wanted him more than Grossman. I'd like to see him come to the Bears...I think he'd beat Orton out of the position before the 2nd week of preseason.

I don't think he'd beat out Kyle, but I would be in favor of adding him. He's got experience and yeah, maybe he has learned something from being so close to out of the game.

Can't be any worse then Grossman and would be a solid option for backup and competitor for starting job. I always liked him as well, and he did play good at times in Jacksonville, and in limited time in Pitt. Sign me up.

Looking ahead: Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich thought he would be drafted by the Bears in 2003 and apparently wouldn’t mind playing in Chicago next season.

“We are in the playoff run right now, so I don’t even want to go there, but tell them to look me up,” Leftwich told the Chicago Sun-Times following the Steelers’ 35-24 playoff win over the Chargers Sunday.

“I’m a fan of Lovie Smith, I’ll just say that. I thought that was where I was going to go in the beginning. I remember hoping that I would go there. I just wanted to be a part of the tradition, the history of the Bears. You’re growing up, watching games at Soldier Field on TV. I wanted to be a part of that coming out. I thought there was a chance I would go there.

“I want a chance to go somewhere and play. I guess everybody wanted to see if I am healthy, and now they can see it. I’m ready to play again.”

Leftwich was selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars with the seventh overall pick in the 2003 draft. The Bears had the fourth choice, but traded down twice in the first round, ultimately drafting defensive end Michael Haynes at No. 14 and quarterback Rex Grossman at No. 22.

In six seasons with the Jaguars (2003-06), Falcons (2007) and Steelers (2008), Leftwich has completed 58.6 percent of his passes for 9,624 yards with 54 TDs, 38 interceptions and an 80.3 passer rating.

Leftwich has appeared in just 14 games the past three seasons after playing in 15, 14 and 11 in his first three years in the league with Jacksonville. He's due to become an unrestricted free agent on Feb. 27.

I have to rank Leftwich as #1 on the "retread" list. He has the physical tools to be great, he has the size, he has the experience, and he just turned 29 years old. Not to mention that his lifetime QB rating of 80.3 is higher then Orton's rating was this season, at 79.

And he looked pretty damn good in limited time for Pittsburgh this season. He's a guy who would be a great #2, and hopefully push Orton.

I hope we sign him. I still think we'd need to draft a QB pretty damn early.

Looking ahead: Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich thought he would be drafted by the Bears in 2003 and apparently wouldn’t mind playing in Chicago next season.

“We are in the playoff run right now, so I don’t even want to go there, but tell them to look me up,” Leftwich told the Chicago Sun-Times following the Steelers’ 35-24 playoff win over the Chargers Sunday.

“I’m a fan of Lovie Smith, I’ll just say that. I thought that was where I was going to go in the beginning. I remember hoping that I would go there. I just wanted to be a part of the tradition, the history of the Bears. You’re growing up, watching games at Soldier Field on TV. I wanted to be a part of that coming out. I thought there was a chance I would go there.

“I want a chance to go somewhere and play. I guess everybody wanted to see if I am healthy, and now they can see it. I’m ready to play again.”

Leftwich was selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars with the seventh overall pick in the 2003 draft. The Bears had the fourth choice, but traded down twice in the first round, ultimately drafting defensive end Michael Haynes at No. 14 and quarterback Rex Grossman at No. 22.

In six seasons with the Jaguars (2003-06), Falcons (2007) and Steelers (2008), Leftwich has completed 58.6 percent of his passes for 9,624 yards with 54 TDs, 38 interceptions and an 80.3 passer rating.

Leftwich has appeared in just 14 games the past three seasons after playing in 15, 14 and 11 in his first three years in the league with Jacksonville. He's due to become an unrestricted free agent on Feb. 27.

As retreads go I would also prefer Jeff Garcia over Leftwich. Garcia did amazing things with Philidelphia, he did good with Tampa. He is gritty and can make plays happen with his feet. Leftwich can stand tall in the pocket and deliver the ball down the field with accuracy (better than orton). So, in looking at both retreads they would more than likely beat out Orton. The problem will come with the stubborn nature of Lovie and his relative comfort level with his own job. He stayed with Grossman when he should have benched him. Look at Andy Reid. He sat a pro-bowler. It is obvious to me that Lovie doesn't fear losing his job. If Lovie felt the pressure/pain that sense of "get it done or get out" would filter down to the players. We wouldn't have players like Harris taking it easy while they found out if they really wanted to play. In the past we have had a killer defense and we could put a "Trent Dilfer" at quarterback and just ask him to not screw it for the defense. We are not that team anymore. Bottom line is we better have open competition next year or we are going to be average again.

If he came in and worked his ass off, I'd love to have him. His motion has a little windup in it, but his velocity and accuracy have always off-set that. Back to the main knock on him - work ethic. If JA is convinced he will bust his ass and offers him a contract with incentives, I am all for it.

I don't think for a second that he'd even beat out Orton but what the hell signing him won't kill us.

Are you kidding me? Did you see that throw he made right off the bench last weekend? We haven't seen a throw like that from a guy in a Bears uniform since the few games that Rexy was playing at a high level.

Orton simply doesn't have the skills that Leftwich has. He also cannot make the throws. Byron Leftwich would be no franchise savior. But, he'll be the best quarterback we've had here in a very long while.

Are you kidding me? Did you see that throw he made right off the bench last weekend? We haven't seen a throw like that from a guy in a Bears uniform since the few games that Rexy was playing at a high level.

Orton simply doesn't have the skills that Leftwich has. He also cannot make the throws. Byron Leftwich would be no franchise savior. But, he'll be the best quarterback we've had here in a very long while.

I couldn't agree more...Limas Sweed should have made that catch, the ball was perfect...I wouln't mind seein him in a Bears uniform, honestly, what do we got to lose

I honestly wanted to the bears to draft leftwich just because of his heart at Marshall and he's kind of had a rocky career only because he had a terrible recieving squad in Jacksonville

His recievers were better than what we have now. To be honest I can't think of many teams that aren't worse. Even Detroit has better recievers. I don't count TE's as recievers.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I want Leftwich. He's always been at least decent when he's been healthy and had chances, and he's been very good at other times. His biggest knock is that wind up of his. However, he throws rockets and has very good accuracy, which makes up for that slow release. But outside of that, he doesn't have many holes in his game. While he is slow, it isn't that big of a deal because most QB's are, and because he's black, there some insinuation that he should have some speed, IMO. But he has great pocket presence and has the ability to avoid the rush. Also, from everything I have heard, he's as smart as they come and understands defenses. And he is as tough as nails, most people know about that Marshall game.

Bring in Leftwich on a two year deal, let him compete with Orton, and go from there. Worst case scenario is that Orton proves he isn't more then just a mediocre QB, we draft a QB in the first round next year, and we keep Leftwich as the starter while the draftee develops.

Leftwich anyday over garcia, 2 way different QB's, Lefty more like a Prton type , Stay in pocket, Line would not have to change up with a different style like garcia, And personaly dont like garcia's Play, Leftwich all the way

Yes two different qb's. One (Garcia) who's a proven NFL starter and another one who's been a backup since Jacksonville launched him .

Garcia's qb rating this past season was over 94.

I honestly wanted to the bears to draft leftwich just because of his heart at Marshall and he's kind of had a rocky career only because he had a terrible recieving squad in Jacksonville

Welcome to the board. Are you currently a student at U of I? I went to ISU (20 yrs ago) and had several friends in Champaign.

Peace :dabears

Yes two different qb's. One (Garcia) who's a proven NFL starter and another one who's been a backup since Jacksonville launched him .

Garcia's qb rating this past season was over 94.

lol, when did we start running the WCO? Because Garcia, especially at this point of his career, NEEDS to be in a WCO.