JA on Nate

AZ54

He has to "make the team."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-1...0,6072150.story

Do you still consider Nathan Vasher a starter?

He really hasn't played in two years, so he needs to redefine himself, starting in the off-season. He has to earn a spot on our team. He has to show he can be a starter, somebody we can depend on. We rewarded a very good player. He earned a new contract. But since then he has had some injuries, and when he has played, his play hasn't been up to his standards, I'm sure, and certainly our standards.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm more speechless on what he said about Mike Brown. He pretty much said, as of now, he won't be back.

I so far past tired of the idea of coddling players' development. If Danieal can't play to his abilities because leader, teacher, and motivator Mike Brown is on the roster, then Manning isn't worth having. If Danieal is all that and Mike Brown is in decline, then Mike Brown will only be a blip on his radar as he wins the starting spot and goes to the pro-bowl. Someone slap JA and tell him he never gets to talk like that again. JA already embarrassed himself once with Thomas Jones and I refuse to forget. If he thinks Mike Brown sucks, so be it, but don't tell me he has to get rid of Mike because of Manning's development.

He was in his first healthy season back in 5 years and was being coached by admittedly all the wrong people (since JA fired them all, he clearly knows this). How do you evaluate him as hopeless based on that? At this point I could see Mike being intrigued enough (to take even less money) at the new defensive coaching shakeup...as well as willing to retire early if he could play maybe another season or so and end his career in Chicago. It's a special thing to be able play your whole career in one city and Mike is close.

I so far past tired of the idea of coddling players' development. If Danieal can't play to his abilities because leader, teacher, and motivator Mike Brown is on the roster, then Manning isn't worth having. If Danieal is all that and Mike Brown is in decline, then Mike Brown will only be a blip on his radar as he wins the starting spot and goes to the pro-bowl. Someone slap JA and tell him he never gets to talk like that again. JA already embarrassed himself once with Thomas Jones and I refuse to forget. If he thinks Mike Brown sucks, so be it, but don't tell me he has to get rid of Mike because of Manning's development.

He was in his first healthy season back in 5 years and was being coached by admittedly all the wrong people (since JA fired them all, he clearly knows this). How do you evaluate him as hopeless based on that? At this point I could see Mike being intrigued enough (to take even less money) at the new defensive coaching shakeup...as well as willing to retire early if he could play maybe another season or so and end his career in Chicago. It's a special thing to be able play your whole career in one city and Mike is close.

Your right, nowadays with free agency and everything else most people see at least a couple teams even if they are superstars. A fine example is Brett Favre. Started in Atlanta, gets traded to Green Bay and becomes the elite QB and then gets traded to the JETS. Most players hardly even stick with the same team for 10 years. I would love to see Brownie stick at least for 1 more year because of his leadership ability that brings to the table. He is the one player on the D that is willing to get into someone face if they screwed up but he has become the teacher as well.

Is Manning going BACK to FS??? Yhe Mike Brown comments confused the hell out of me. First off, Danieal Manning seems to have found the spot he's best at--nickel-back. Hell, he was torched playing FS vs. Houston AGAIN. So we're letting Mike Brown go so DM can play FS after sucking at it for 3 seasons?

Not affording Mike Brown is ridiculous. Last season we dropped his salary to $950,000, with 1.49 million of not likely to be earned bonuses. http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/news.php?tqid...4&nid=38775 We're 25 mil under the cap & don't have an extra mil for Mike Brown?

Mike Brown looked slower and less effective this season. It's tough to be successful with all the injuries we've had at safety. So I can understand letting Brownie walk. But why blame it on money?

I don't always agree with Angelo, but I can almost always understand where he's going from. But this is just ignorant.

I wonder how much we'd save by cutting Vasher? I wonder if we'll have a situation similar to Ricky Manning Jr's last year. RMJ was benched and never really even given a chance to redeem himself. Considering Vasher was outplayed by Corey Graham who makes the minimum, it might be safe to assume he's gone.

The one thing that bothers me is that Graham is not as good as Vasher was at his best. In 16 games last year Graham had a whopping 1 interception. While he's good in run-support, he's not great in coverage.

At this point I don't see how our secondary gets better by cutting Vasher.

He has to "make the team."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-1...0,6072150.story

Do you still consider Nathan Vasher a starter?

He really hasn't played in two years, so he needs to redefine himself, starting in the off-season. He has to earn a spot on our team. He has to show he can be a starter, somebody we can depend on. We rewarded a very good player. He earned a new contract. But since then he has had some injuries, and when he has played, his play hasn't been up to his standards, I'm sure, and certainly our standards.

Every once in a while, JA gets a bad case of foot in mouth disease. This is one of those times.

Let me preface this by saying Mike Brown is one of my favorite Bears of all time. That being said, I have no issues with them letting him go. Although he played 15 games this yr, he left 3 before halftime do to injury. Further, it is clear he has lost a step. It is clear he cannot handle the pounding of playing SS and he is not fast enough to play FS.

I would love to sign him up as a coach but I think he will want to play for a couple more yrs.

Peace :dabears

Every once in a while, JA gets a bad case of foot in mouth disease. This is one of those times.

Let me preface this by saying Mike Brown is one of my favorite Bears of all time. That being said, I have no issues with them letting him go. Although he played 15 games this yr, he left 3 before halftime do to injury. Further, it is clear he has lost a step. It is clear he cannot handle the pounding of playing SS and he is not fast enough to play FS.

I would love to sign him up as a coach but I think he will want to play for a couple more yrs.

I have to agree with you, as much as I have enjoyed watch MB play over the years, and he has to be one of my favorite Bears of all time (and I go back a few years, LOL) his play is not what it once was.

Maybe JA is just paving the way for Brown to receive a very limited contract offer with advance warning.

What I found more interesting, and no one seems to be listening to what JA is saying:

Allocation of money comes into play, too, in what we want to do at other positions. There could be a case where we want Mike back, but we can't afford to do it given what we want to do in other areas.

Everyone seems concerned about JA & what will he do in FA. Some think he will not be active. Doesn't this statement indicate that he is trying to plan his budget for FA? What is on his shopping list?

I believe he is just saying we have a lot of needs, we can not afford a big contract for MB at this point in his career, if his demands are too high, we will have to let him go.

Did he pretty much say Manning was going to be the FS!?!?!? WHY! Is it too dificult to see that he sucks at safety? Yeah, this player sucks at safety, but is actually a very good nickel corner. Lets put him at FS anyway!!!!!!!

Also, would rotating Mike Brown and Kevin Payne at SS make too much sense?

2 thoughts:

1 - Leave Manning at nickel back. He actually got better as the year went along. Plus, he sucks at FS.

2 - I agree with Angelo 100% on Vash. He needs to show he can still play at a starting level especially considering the coin he is being paid.

Peace :dabears

Agreed. If Angelo pointed out that Brown once again finished the season before the team did, and went on to say he felt we needed to go in another direction. Fine. I would disagree, but understand at the same time. But to say (a) we can't afford Brown or (B) having Brown would hurt DMs development, well, that is just crap.

Not only that, but didn't Brown look best as a SS? How would having Brown at SS hurt DM as a FS.

As for Vasher, the one thing that stood out to me was this. Much talk has been made of Angelo saying our OL was fine, and even seeming to praise the group. Some have argued what else is a GM to do, indicating a GM can't just blast his player/unit. But he seems to have no problem calling it like it is w/ Vasher, which leads me to believe he honestly believes our OL played well. That just makes me sick.

Is Manning going BACK to FS??? Yhe Mike Brown comments confused the hell out of me. First off, Danieal Manning seems to have found the spot he's best at--nickel-back. Hell, he was torched playing FS vs. Houston AGAIN. So we're letting Mike Brown go so DM can play FS after sucking at it for 3 seasons?

Not affording Mike Brown is ridiculous. Last season we dropped his salary to $950,000, with 1.49 million of not likely to be earned bonuses. http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/news.php?tqid...4&nid=38775 We're 25 mil under the cap & don't have an extra mil for Mike Brown?

Mike Brown looked slower and less effective this season. It's tough to be successful with all the injuries we've had at safety. So I can understand letting Brownie walk. But why blame it on money?

I don't always agree with Angelo, but I can almost always understand where he's going from. But this is just ignorant.

I have to disagree w/ this on several fronts.

One. I would argue Graham was better in coverage than Vasher. Watching games, to me, QBs really focused their attack on Tillman far more than Graham. Part of that was Tillman's man seemed to always be wide open, but part of that also has to do w/ Graham simply doing a better job in coverage. If QBs are not attacking Grahams man as much, he thus getting it done in terms of coverage. Picks are not a great indicator of coverage.

Two. I would agree that Vasher proved the better playmaker, but would also point out two things. One, Graham just played his first season. Maybe we can give him a chance before we write him off as not being a playmaker. Two, when Vasher was getting picks, we had a better pass rush. It is much harder to get interceptions when you have no pass rush, and QBs are not hurried into bad throws.

As for the idea of cutting Vasher, I am 100% against it. Especially as Angelo's comments indicate we intend to move DM back to FS, who the hell is going to be our nickel? Has everyone forgotten how big of a hole that looked early this year, before DM stepped up? The coaches talk all the time about how the nickel is dang near a starter due to how many teams play wide open offenses. Vasher was a GREAT nickel before moving to a starting role. Even if he can't be a starter, I think he is still worth keeping on the roster for the nickel job. Not to mention that, while Graham looked good this year, he is far from proven and depth is important, especially at a position we have seen so many injuries.

If we were loaded w/ depth, then maybe, but we have little depth, and thus I don't understand any ideas of cutting Vasher. He maybe expensive as a non-starter, but we are not paying Graham or McBride jack, so until we have to give them a raise, I am not sure why there is a need to cut Vasher for money.

I wonder how much we'd save by cutting Vasher? I wonder if we'll have a situation similar to Ricky Manning Jr's last year. RMJ was benched and never really even given a chance to redeem himself. Considering Vasher was outplayed by Corey Graham who makes the minimum, it might be safe to assume he's gone.

The one thing that bothers me is that Graham is not as good as Vasher was at his best. In 16 games last year Graham had a whopping 1 interception. While he's good in run-support, he's not great in coverage.

At this point I don't see how our secondary gets better by cutting Vasher.

Two things.

One, while I agree about Brown at FS, I think he play really picked up after we moved him to SS, or at least started playing him in the box, like a SS. IMHO, he was our best SS on the roster last year. I have no problem w/ the idea that he can no longer play FS, but at the same time feel he would be a solid SS on the roster.

Two, I agree it may not be worth re-signing him if he is expensive, but who really believes Brown will get a big deal in FA w/ his past injuries. I think Brown is far more likely to get a short term, very low bonus deal w/ incentives. I do not think this is a deal we couldn't afford.

I have to agree with you, as much as I have enjoyed watch MB play over the years, and he has to be one of my favorite Bears of all time (and I go back a few years, LOL) his play is not what it once was.

Maybe JA is just paving the way for Brown to receive a very limited contract offer with advance warning.

What I found more interesting, and no one seems to be listening to what JA is saying:

Everyone seems concerned about JA & what will he do in FA. Some think he will not be active. Doesn't this statement indicate that he is trying to plan his budget for FA? What is on his shopping list?

I believe he is just saying we have a lot of needs, we can not afford a big contract for MB at this point in his career, if his demands are too high, we will have to let him go.

That sticks out for me as well.

DM has been tried all over the secondary. He stunk it up as a FS and as a CB, but finally seemed to find his fit as our nickel. But instead of keeping him there, we seem intent on moving him back to FS. That is just sickening. Both for DM, and for any hopes of our actually looking to add a legit FS.

As for Brown, I agree 100% that he could be a very solid SS for us. I was very disappointed in the play of both Payne and Steltz last year. Why could we not re-sign Brown to play SS. If we go into next year w/ Payne at SS and DM at FS, I think we will be doing our secondary a major disservice.

Did he pretty much say Manning was going to be the FS!?!?!? WHY! Is it too dificult to see that he sucks at safety? Yeah, this player sucks at safety, but is actually a very good nickel corner. Lets put him at FS anyway!!!!!!!

Also, would rotating Mike Brown and Kevin Payne at SS make too much sense?

I liked D Manning and still do but the guy isn't very bright. In fact he's not bright enough

to be an NFL safety or nickle back or dime back or cb.

He's a special team guy who can return punts and kicks. He left Nebraka because he

couldn't handle the academics. He's proven to me over the course of the last few years.

That he's in over his head when it comes to understanding a NFL D.

To expect more from Manning is not realistic. He hasn't grasp the D yet and he never will.

Well glad your in the film room with him to realize he is stupid. The past does not relate to the present. His play at nickel really improved over the season. But putting Vasher would be an immediate upgrade. Look for JA to go after a FS high in this draft. 4 out of 4 playoff teams had safties hightlight the day. Dawkins, Palamalu, Wilson and Reed, I dont see anything even close to that on this bears roster. Brown, Worrel, McGowan, Steltz, Payne and manning just dont relate to elite to me at this point. Unless payne really comes on this next season with Steltz, They are gonna have to draft a safety high.

What sucks is the fact after this season the glaring needs are more evident this year then in seasons past. It will make for a interesting draft for sure.

One. I would argue Graham was better in coverage than Vasher. Watching games, to me, QBs really focused their attack on Tillman far more than Graham. Part of that was Tillman's man seemed to always be wide open, but part of that also has to do w/ Graham simply doing a better job in coverage. If QBs are not attacking Grahams man as much, he thus getting it done in terms of coverage. Picks are not a great indicator of coverage. [/b]

It is true we didn't see or hear much from Graham. Sometimes that's a pretty damn good thing. I thought QB's focused their attack on Tillman, simply because the top WR's like Andre Johnson seemed to line up on the QB's right side which is where Tillman lines up. That and QB's were so damn busy throwing slant passes underneath to the TE's . . . either way it's strange that Graham didn't seem to be tested much. Wouldn't you go right at a guy who's never seen the field before this year? Like Zac Bowman, Graham's talent projected him to go much higher in the draft but he slipped due to injuries.

Two. I would agree that Vasher proved the better playmaker, but would also point out two things. One, Graham just played his first season. Maybe we can give him a chance before we write him off as not being a playmaker. Two, when Vasher was getting picks, we had a better pass rush. It is much harder to get interceptions when you have no pass rush, and QBs are not hurried into bad throws.

That always bothered me about Vasher. I can't remember him EVER grabbing a coverage interception or a jump ball. EVERY interception I remember the QB threw the ball straight at him. Vasher's strength was always getting in position to make plays. If he can improve his tackling he's an ideal FS. Either way, the talk of moving Manning back to FS again is disturbing. Seriously. How can JA even say that?

As for the idea of cutting Vasher, I am 100% against it. Especially as Angelo's comments indicate we intend to move DM back to FS, who the hell is going to be our nickel? Has everyone forgotten how big of a hole that looked early this year, before DM stepped up? The coaches talk all the time about how the nickel is dang near a starter due to how many teams play wide open offenses. Vasher was a GREAT nickel before moving to a starting role. Even if he can't be a starter, I think he is still worth keeping on the roster for the nickel job. Not to mention that, while Graham looked good this year, he is far from proven and depth is important, especially at a position we have seen so many injuries.

Angelo's comments indicate we'll be extremely active in free agency, or that the Bears are feeling the economic pinch and plan on being cheap. If we plan on getting a top FS, like the guy from the Rams, would it be ok to dump Vasher then? It would be in my world.

If we were loaded w/ depth, then maybe, but we have little depth, and thus I don't understand any ideas of cutting Vasher. He maybe expensive as a non-starter, but we are not paying Graham or McBride jack, so until we have to give them a raise, I am not sure why there is a need to cut Vasher for money.

Agreed with that. Usually when JA hints at such things, for better or for worse, there's another plan in place. Although I keep thinking, "DM at FS AGAIN??? WTF???"

"But to say that was what kept him from doing what he should be doing, I don't know that is necessarily true."

Good quote on Url's slipping play, saying that scheme and players around shouldn't be excuses for his slipping play.

poor defensive line play directly affects the middle linebacker. Our DTs played like garbage this season, our whole line did. Urlacher might not have had his best season, but the players around him absolutely hurt him.

It is true we didn't see or hear much from Graham. Sometimes that's a pretty damn good thing. I thought QB's focused their attack on Tillman, simply because the top WR's like Andre Johnson seemed to line up on the QB's right side which is where Tillman lines up. That and QB's were so damn busy throwing slant passes underneath to the TE's . . . either way it's strange that Graham didn't seem to be tested much. Wouldn't you go right at a guy who's never seen the field before this year? Like Zac Bowman, Graham's talent projected him to go much higher in the draft but he slipped due to injuries.

Its not that I am trying to make Graham out to be a great cover corner, but I simply felt he showed more pure coverage skills this year than Tillman or Vasher, and disagree w/ the argument that Graham is not as good as Vasher at his best.

That always bothered me about Vasher. I can't remember him EVER grabbing a coverage interception or a jump ball. EVERY interception I remember the QB threw the ball straight at him. Vasher's strength was always getting in position to make plays. If he can improve his tackling he's an ideal FS. Either way, the talk of moving Manning back to FS again is disturbing. Seriously. How can JA even say that?

I am not going to totally take away credit for the picks. I don't recall them all, but do seem to remember him making some solid plays on the ball. As for Vasher to FS, I am simply not sure I see it. For one thing, I have never heard this idea mentioned outside of our board. It is something fans might think about, but I am not sure any others due, as opposed to Tillman moving to FS, which has been talked about by many.

Thing is, I just don't know how well he transitions. When I watched him this year, before the injury, I did not get the sense of a player who excels playing deep off the LOS. At FS, he is 3 times deeper. Some of his skills may translate, but I just am not sure, and to be honest, I am sick of "trying" players at FS, rather than just getting a FS. I always felt Vasher's best position was nickel DB. He did very well there before winning the starting job. As a starter, I thought I was being proven wrong, but now wonder. Regardless, I still think he can be valuable to us as a nickel DB, but am not high on the idea of moving him to FS.

As for DM to FS, that just baffles me. We move this kid all over the place, and he looks awful, but the one position he finally looked good at (nickel) we seem to plan on moving him away from. I just do not get it. If DM starts at FS, and especially if Payne or Steltz is at SS, I will be sick.

Angelo's comments indicate we'll be extremely active in free agency, or that the Bears are feeling the economic pinch and plan on being cheap. If we plan on getting a top FS, like the guy from the Rams, would it be ok to dump Vasher then? It would be in my world.

First, I am not so sure we will make the big FA splash in the secondary. I don't see CB as we have recently spent so much there, combined w/ Graham looking good. At S, the group available just isn't very good. I am on record wanting the kid out of StL, but am not sure he makes it to FA.

But, if he does, and we sign him, would I then be okay dumping Vasher? Frankly, the answer is likely still no.

Most fans have written off Vasher, while also putting Graham in as a starter. I have no problem w/ this idea, but would point out how most felt McBride looked good last year, only to really look average this year, if even that. Even if, and I would say it is in fact an if, Graham does play strong at CB, what depth do we have at CB? Our depth would be Bowman (who has like one game of experience), McBride (who saw his play slip this year) and likely DM, who I think few would want to see lined up at CB. W/ Tillman's injuries, and overall injuries at DB, can we really afford to cut Vasher? If we were going to save a ton of money, that would be one thing, but as his deal was so recent, I doubt the savings would be much. I think it would be far better to allow him another year to (a) redeem himself, (B) provide at minimum better depth and maybe a solid nickel and © would likely be a better cap cut a year from now. As we are not in need of the money, and lack depth at CB, I just do not see the point of cutting him now.

Agreed with that. Usually when JA hints at such things, for better or for worse, there's another plan in place. Although I keep thinking, "DM at FS AGAIN??? WTF???"

Yea, I just don't get this, but at the same time, would it really surprise any of us? Isn't FS where Angelo has wanted DM all along?

I am not going to totally take away credit for the picks. I don't recall them all, but do seem to remember him making some solid plays on the ball. As for Vasher to FS, I am simply not sure I see it. For one thing, I have never heard this idea mentioned outside of our board. It is something fans might think about, but I am not sure any others due, as opposed to Tillman moving to FS, which has been talked about by many.

I've never understood the "move Tillman to FS" movement, except for a few years ago when we thought he sucked. Honestly, I don't know that I've ever heard talk about Vasher being moved except for the board. To me it just makes sense because Vasher's been demoted and we are desperate for a FS.

Thing is, I just don't know how well he transitions. When I watched him this year, before the injury, I did not get the sense of a player who excels playing deep off the LOS. At FS, he is 3 times deeper. Some of his skills may translate, but I just am not sure, and to be honest, I am sick of "trying" players at FS, rather than just getting a FS. I always felt Vasher's best position was nickel DB. He did very well there before winning the starting job. As a starter, I thought I was being proven wrong, but now wonder. Regardless, I still think he can be valuable to us as a nickel DB, but am not high on the idea of moving him to FS.

I don't think Vasher could be much worse at FS then the guys we've had. If DM is our starting nickel-back, Graham is our corner, you don't think we should cut Vasher, then what should we do with him?

As for DM to FS, that just baffles me. We move this kid all over the place, and he looks awful, but the one position he finally looked good at (nickel) we seem to plan on moving him away from. I just do not get it. If DM starts at FS, and especially if Payne or Steltz is at SS, I will be sick.

I will say I agreed with moving DM to FS during the Houston game since we were depleted in the secondary. But that game proved we not only need a FS, but a back-up FS. Payne looks good, but he'll never be great. Steltz might be a stand-out on special teams. I'm assuming McGowan will be gone . . .

First, I am not so sure we will make the big FA splash in the secondary. I don't see CB as we have recently spent so much there, combined w/ Graham looking good. At S, the group available just isn't very good. I am on record wanting the kid out of StL, but am not sure he makes it to FA.

Disagree with us going after a safety. With the exception of DT, there's no other position JA has sought to fill then safety. We draft one damn near every year: Chris Harris, DM, Steltz, Payne, AND we gave up a 4th or 5th round pick to get Arch. (Was McGowan a 7th round pick or an undrafted FA?) And what do we have to show for it? Payne is mediocre at best and we have no FS.

Agreed we won't seek a corner. JA's been great at drafting them.

Most fans have written off Vasher, while also putting Graham in as a starter. I have no problem w/ this idea, but would point out how most felt McBride looked good last year, only to really look average this year, if even that. Even if, and I would say it is in fact an if, Graham does play strong at CB, what depth do we have at CB? Our depth would be Bowman (who has like one game of experience), McBride (who saw his play slip this year) and likely DM, who I think few would want to see lined up at CB.

The difference between Graham & McBride, is that we really like Graham's size & speed, and he would have been drafted much higher if he hadn't been injured his senior year. McBride looked better last year, but he was given a lot more opportunities since this year he was demoted. Assuming we keep DM at nickel, which should happen, we have Bowman & McBride as back-ups with room to draft one more.

Tillman's injuries, and overall injuries at DB, can we really afford to cut Vasher? If we were going to save a ton of money, that would be one thing, but as his deal was so recent, I doubt the savings would be much. I think it would be far better to allow him another year to (a) redeem himself, (B) provide at minimum better depth and maybe a solid nickel and © would likely be a better cap cut a year from now. As we are not in need of the money, and lack depth at CB, I just do not see the point of cutting him now.

As I mentioned, I could see us doing the same thing we did with RMJ: Keep him around but not give him a real chance to win his job back. Unless there's a roster bonus due, it doesn't benefit us to cut him now.

Yea, I just don't get this, but at the same time, would it really surprise any of us? Isn't FS where Angelo has wanted DM all along?

Yes, but after 3 years of failure??? JA is often slow to pull the plug, but after 3 years, even he usually gets it. Of course it might not be JA's call at what position he plays.

It's also interesting that DM will be a free agent this year. That wouldn't mean much if he hadn't finished the season as the top kick-return man in the league.

poor defensive line play directly affects the middle linebacker. Our DTs played like garbage this season, our whole line did. Urlacher might not have had his best season, but the players around him absolutely hurt him.

He had a worse d line the year before but a better year.

Also our DT are one gap players. Not the two gap Ted Wash style DT's. Url is always going to have people coming at him.

Quite simply put, his play declined this year.

Also our DT are one gap players. Not the two gap Ted Wash style DT's. Url is always going to have people coming at him.

True, but up until this year he wasn't forced to line up in the A Gap 90% of the time 5 yds or less off the line of scrimage. He was out of position to use his speed. I bet you will not see this positioning used this year.

So youre saying the defensive line improved and Urlachers play declined? I guess he must be washed up.