Why I hate the Redskins

canadianbear

They signed DeAngelo HAll to a big deal too

Redskins agreed to terms with CB DeAngelo Hall on a six-year contract with a $55 million max value. The deal includes $23 million guaranteed.

Thats a fair amount of guranteed money he's gotten the last 2 years

The Redskins are masters at back loading deals. Usually for their big signings, the first couple years of their salary are made up of their signing bonus.

So right now, neither player is likely gonna cost the Skins too much, but in a couple of years, their base salary (especially Haynesworth) will sky rocket.

The Redskins are masters at back loading deals. Usually for their big signings, the first couple years of their salary are made up of their signing bonus.

So right now, neither player is likely gonna cost the Skins too much, but in a couple of years, their base salary (especially Haynesworth) will sky rocket.

$41 million in guarantees for him, $32 million of it within the first 14 months.

Heck If JA would follow that we could have had Haynesworth, Housh, two or three of the top OL etc... :huh: But, untill that actually works out for the Skins, I'd refrain from that theory of operation.

They've been doing it since 99 or so & it's gotten them nowhere

I'm less irritated by the owner/team for figuring a way to circumvent and manipulate the salary cap, and more irritated with Albert Haynesworth being yet another player in a long line of completely greedy asswipes. Tennessee could have signed him to multi-millions, but he had to be the TOP paid player. He had to go for the bazillions, even though the megamillions are offered where he is already at.

There is very little loyalty in today's sports world, and it's aggravating that in times like this, these players willfully fight for a cherry on top of an 285lb. sundae.

On the other hand, I think we are seeing a lot of players who are re-signing w/ their teams prior to FA. Take Jordan Gross. He signed w/ Carolina before FA began. While nothing is for sure, I would bet you he could have easily gotten what Carolina offered, and likely a fair amount more. But he passed on the opportunity to try and squeeze a few extra dollars in order to stay w/ the team that drafted him.

Gross is not the only player that did, or has done, this.

Fat Albert is definitely the type that is easy to hate. When he openly talks about how he is going to whoever offers the most, you know he doesn't care about winning. If he is willing to go to a team, and team, regardless how good the team is, simply because they offered more than the next, you know they just don't care about winning as much.

What is funny is how many players, late in their career, talk about how they just want to play for a contender. This is when money isn't nearly as important, and they just want the ring. If only they could have their attitude a bit earlier on.

I'm less irritated by the owner/team for figuring a way to circumvent and manipulate the salary cap, and more irritated with Albert Haynesworth being yet another player in a long line of completely greedy players. Tennessee could have signed him to multi-millions, but he had to be the TOP paid player. He had to go for the bazillions, even though the megamillions are offered where he is already at.

There is very little loyalty in today's sports world, and it's aggravating that in times like this, these players willfully fight for a cherry on top of an 285lb. sundae.

I'm less irritated by the owner/team for figuring a way to circumvent and manipulate the salary cap, and more irritated with Albert Haynesworth being yet another player in a long line of completely greedy asswipes. Tennessee could have signed him to multi-millions, but he had to be the TOP paid player. He had to go for the bazillions, even though the megamillions are offered where he is already at.

I see it both ways. If the Titans offered him a deal that was close and he turns it down, I could see being a little pissed. If not, he should go for the money. These players don't get these contracts on God given talent alone. They work hard and take extreme beatings. To put up with that over years being competitive has to come into play. I believe these guys are competitive about their contracts as well.

On the other hand, I think we are seeing a lot of players who are re-signing w/ their teams prior to FA. Take Jordan Gross. He signed w/ Carolina before FA began. While nothing is for sure, I would bet you he could have easily gotten what Carolina offered, and likely a fair amount more. But he passed on the opportunity to try and squeeze a few extra dollars in order to stay w/ the team that drafted him.

Gross is not the only player that did, or has done, this.

Fat Albert is definitely the type that is easy to hate. When he openly talks about how he is going to whoever offers the most, you know he doesn't care about winning. If he is willing to go to a team, and team, regardless how good the team is, simply because they offered more than the next, you know they just don't care about winning as much.

What is funny is how many players, late in their career, talk about how they just want to play for a contender. This is when money isn't nearly as important, and they just want the ring. If only they could have their attitude a bit earlier on.

The bold part is what pisses me off the most. You'd think these morons would learn from what they saw the Celtics do last year.

I wonder who is happier:

Scott Williams - 5 or 6 championship rings playing beside MJ - multimillionaire

Allen Iverson - 0 championships - multi-multimillionaire

The list of examples is long. How many times have we seen veterans, later in their career, choose to play for NE at a lower price because they want to win a ring. Well, if they took such a postion earlier in their career, they may already have that ring.

If your team is not putting up a fair offer, I can understand bolting, but when your team is making a nice offer, but you want to squeeze a few extra bucks, that is what makes me sick. Take Kurt Warner. He has been offered quite a bit by AZ, a place he has seen serious sucess and where he is likely to find the most sucess going forward. They have already made a very fair offer, but he has said no. He may eventually take it, but how funny if he went to, say, Detroit for more money, but a team that was essentially end his career on a down note.

The bold part is what pisses me off the most. You'd think these morons would learn from what they saw the Celtics do last year.

I wonder who is happier:

Scott Williams - 5 or 6 championship rings playing beside MJ - multimillionaire

Allen Iverson - 0 championships - multi-multimillionaire

If the NFL loses it's cap I'm not sure I could continue to be a big Bears fan anymore. Heaven knows I've been a faithfull fan through thick and thin, so it's not about loyalty; it would be about the NFL. Specifically, it's about how I could manage to convince myself that there was any sport involved in watching an unlevel playing field...or maybe I should say such an in-your-face unlevel playing field rather than the subtle advantages teams have now such as better stadiums or a better market for allowing a player to sign a big $$ endorsement deal.

I don't know. Look at Baseball. No cap there, and absolutely a sport where some teams spend massively more than others, yet that spending does not always show in the results.

Yankees always seem to spend a gazillion dollars, and when was their last world series win?

On the other end, you have a team like Minny who just spend much, but always seems to play well. Chi Sox are not cheap, but are FAR from free-spenders, and yet won the series a couple years ago, and have been mostly good since.

Back to football, even w/ the cap, Wash seems to always spend a crap load, but at the same time, they continue to suck. Throwing a ton of money around does mean you will win.

Now, the problem for us is, I don't think we have the scouting, management or coaching to compensate for a lack of spending, and that could really be bad if the day comes when the cap is gone. The only good thing I can say is, at least most of the perceived big spenders also have questionably run front offices. Dallas and Wash may try and outspend everyone, but it may not even matter.

If the NFL loses it's cap I'm not sure I could continue to be a big Bears fan anymore. Heaven knows I've been a faithfull fan through thick and thin, so it's not about loyalty; it would be about the NFL. Specifically, it's about how I could manage to convince myself that there was any sport involved in watching an unlevel playing field...or maybe I should say such an in-your-face unlevel playing field rather than the subtle advantages teams have now such as better stadiums or a better market for allowing a player to sign a big $$ endorsement deal.

So true...

But I also think the "play for a contender"thing is also a smokescreen for guys still vying for the loot...

The list of examples is long. How many times have we seen veterans, later in their career, choose to play for NE at a lower price because they want to win a ring. Well, if they took such a postion earlier in their career, they may already have that ring.

If your team is not putting up a fair offer, I can understand bolting, but when your team is making a nice offer, but you want to squeeze a few extra bucks, that is what makes me sick. Take Kurt Warner. He has been offered quite a bit by AZ, a place he has seen serious sucess and where he is likely to find the most sucess going forward. They have already made a very fair offer, but he has said no. He may eventually take it, but how funny if he went to, say, Detroit for more money, but a team that was essentially end his career on a down note.

Yeah, but if you look at the last 10-15 years or so, the Yankees have been in the playoffs more than any other team. Once you get into the playoffs, it's a virtual crapshoot. All the teams there are good, and you may just run into a team that is in stride, while you have a rough spot. The playoffs are funny like that. Or, hell, in baseball you may run into a team that has two stud pitchers - like Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling from the Diamondbacks a few years ago - and just can't beat those two guys.

If the NFL goes into the no salary cap era, the Bears will become the Kansas City Royals.

I don't know. Look at Baseball. No cap there, and absolutely a sport where some teams spend massively more than others, yet that spending does not always show in the results.

Yankees always seem to spend a gazillion dollars, and when was their last world series win?

On the other end, you have a team like Minny who just spend much, but always seems to play well. Chi Sox are not cheap, but are FAR from free-spenders, and yet won the series a couple years ago, and have been mostly good since.

Back to football, even w/ the cap, Wash seems to always spend a crap load, but at the same time, they continue to suck. Throwing a ton of money around does mean you will win.

Now, the problem for us is, I don't think we have the scouting, management or coaching to compensate for a lack of spending, and that could really be bad if the day comes when the cap is gone. The only good thing I can say is, at least most of the perceived big spenders also have questionably run front offices. Dallas and Wash may try and outspend everyone, but it may not even matter.

Haynseworth is much much better than the Tommie Harris I've seen since his initial injury. Not too bummed about how much he got and Hall is a young, above average Cb. Again, not shocked that he got what he did. What shocked me was that not many teams were interested in picking him up after the Raiders waived him.