St. Clair is a Brown...

madlithuanian

...and another one's gone.

ST. CLAIR LANDS IN CLEVELAND

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 5:40 p.m.

Tackle John St. Clair has opted to sign with the Browns, and to spurn the Bears.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times, Biggs has agreed to terms on a three-year, $9 million deal, with $600,000 guaranteed.

The Bears had offered exactly half that amount — $4.5 million over three years.

But Biggs says that the contract appears to be a series of one-year deals; this suggests that sizable roster bonuses are owed to St. Clair at the start of the 2010 and 2011 league years.

The Bears now need to find a new right tackle.

Per Sun Times...

St. Clair bolts for Browns

By Brad Biggson March 17, 2009 4:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

John St. Clair has signed three-year contract with the Cleveland Browns worth a total of $9 million.

The deal contains $600,00 guaranteed, which is believed to be less than the Bears had offered in a $4.5 million, three-year contract.

Now, the Bears will have to venture out into the market and find a right tackle or draft one high in the draft or both.

Undrafted college free agent Cody Balogh played right tackle in minicamp Tuesday.

Kevin Shaffer, Marvel Smith and Orlando Pace are just a few options on the market the Bears could consider.

The St. Clair deal on the surface appears to be a series of one-year contracts.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/03/st...for_browns.html

I'll bet you see them go hard after Shaffer.

He was just a guy that knew the system. I think he was only a one year starter and just would have been a backup his last two years. I dont blame them for not wanting to pay 3 mill a year to a two year backup. That means that one of the first two picks will be a OT, but we still need a back up or one years starter.

I've always backed Angelo, but he's been testing my patients. So far, we've gotten Josh Bullocks and Frank Omiyale since FA started.

I agree Brian Bear. I have always back Angelo but I still have more patience in him. I just have to believe that he has another plan. I think our 1st round pick should now be Oline. I want Oher if he drops.

I have never really backed Angelo, yet I don't have a problem w/ this move. In fact, I am thrilled about it. St. Clair was simply not good. He looked decent enough for us, but that is relative when looking at the rest of the OL.

I like the idea of moving on, and rather than just signing the same hacks, we have allowed SC to walk and cut dead weight in Metcalf. We have little on our depth chart at the moment, but I will hold off on blasting Angelo until after the draft. In my eyes, this makes OL as absolute top need going into the draft, which is fine by me. I always feared that if we re-signed SC, we would lower OL on our need list, and be content w/ mediocrity. Now we are in a very likely position of going after an absolute upgrade.

Maybe it is a risk, as we could still miss on OL in the top of the draft, but I am willing to take that risk. We need upgrades. That status quo is not enough, and SC was part of the status quo.

I agree Brian Bear. I have always back Angelo but I still have more patience in him. I just have to believe that he has another plan. I think our 1st round pick should now be Oline. I want Oher if he drops.

I have never really backed Angelo, yet I don't have a problem w/ this move. In fact, I am thrilled about it. St. Clair was simply not good. He looked decent enough for us, but that is relative when looking at the rest of the OL.

I like the idea of moving on, and rather than just signing the same hacks, we have allowed SC to walk and cut dead weight in Metcalf. We have little on our depth chart at the moment, but I will hold off on blasting Angelo until after the draft. In my eyes, this makes OL as absolute top need going into the draft, which is fine by me. I always feared that if we re-signed SC, we would lower OL on our need list, and be content w/ mediocrity. Now we are in a very likely position of going after an absolute upgrade.

Maybe it is a risk, as we could still miss on OL in the top of the draft, but I am willing to take that risk. We need upgrades. That status quo is not enough, and SC was part of the status quo.

I see us now taking maybe two tackes in the first 5 picks. Maybe a OG Johnson/LSU in the third that can play OG or OT. As other people have said, lets get younger and bigger and bitch slap the rest of our division.

St. Clair is a decent player, but I don't mind this at all. The guy is a decent stop gap who's main role on a team will be backup swing tackle. He's a solid player for depth, but I wouldn't want to give him 9 million.

Now hopefully Oher or Smith will fall to us, but if not, I'd settle for Britton.

Thank you lord!!! I never liked SC...I completely agree with NFO. Now Oline is the top need come draft. What's the best thing we do on offense??? Run the ball, so since we have done nothing to help our pass offense(WR, QB) what will help us the most through the drat at 18? IMO drafting a OT. In a perfect world we draft a OT that plays RT and is good at 18, then Williams turns out to be a legit LT. Now we have 2 solid Tackles blocking for ole 22. Im sure you guys remember the first 22 running behind all those great Olines for Dallas. By beefing up the oline it will help the running attack which should open up some air game. Also it will help protect Orton in his 5 and 7 step drops!

Please Oher or Smith drop to us at 18!

No love for St. Clair!!! Come on!!!!

My take is that you reward guys who are willing to "get it done." St. Clair started at RT, LG, caught a TD pass against KC in the home opener in 2007, and he started every game as our starting LT in 2008. Yet we've replaced him with . . . I wonder if Omiyale will be playing a different position tomorrow.

The money involved is what's mind-boggling. We couldn't match 9 million???

How damn cheap is Angelo required to be???

My take is that you reward guys who are willing to "get it done." St. Clair started at RT, LG, caught a TD pass against KC in the home opener in 2007, and he started every game as our starting LT in 2008. Yet we've replaced him with . . . I wonder if Omiyale will be playing a different position tomorrow.

I don't think Angelo is being restricted in any way. They set a value for JSC and decided not to go above it.

Peace :dabears

I am shocked we would consider, much less be high on, Johnson. I love the idea in general, but we have always stressed athleticism and thought less of the "maulers". I love the idea of adding legit maulers, but I wonder how high we really are on him

I see us now taking maybe two tackes in the first 5 picks. Maybe a OG Johnson/LSU in the third that can play OG or OT. As other people have said, lets get younger and bigger and bitch slap the rest of our division.

Why do you say that? All that had to happen was a phone call from his agent to Angelo. Not like SC had to fly back to Chicago for a sit down.

At this point, despite so many assuming SC would replace Tait, it seems more like Angelo only viewed SC as depth, and he was looking for more.

I always felt he'd be back and that JA would match a reasonable offer. It doesn't even appear as if he came back to Bears to see if they'd counter. No biggie, time to move on.

Sorry, but SC was never more than backup quality. He started every game, but was also the worst LT in the league based on sacks given up, which is even worse when you consider Turner limited Orton to 3 step drops.

Based on our offer, and our letting him walk so easily, it appears Angelo view SC as nothing more than a backup (which is what he is) and let him walk, I am totally fine w/ that, so long as we upgrade in the draft. Sorry, but the status quo was simply not good enough, and he was part of the status quo.

2009 OL looks to be upgraded at LT (Williams) and LG (Omiyale). Now we need to foucs on RT and RG, which hopefully comes through the draft.

Since the Bears have brought in two previous former Rams O-linemen(Miller and St.Clair), I wonder if the Bears might be going after Pace. I personally would like to see them draft and develop some linemen.That has been the one of the things that has been lacking with this coaching staff since they have been here the other thing has been developing a drafted WR.Beekman is the first O-lineman that was drafted by the Bears who started and played more than one game under this staff.In defense of this staff if we look back over the history of JA's picks you can count the O-linemen he has picked on 1 hand.He has always chosen to bring in FA or fringe OL and plug them in.This year its Omiyale.Rueben Brown,Fred Miller,John Tait,Roberto Garza and St.Clair all were similar in the fact that they were veterans that had limited shelf life left.I think they should blow the whole line up and rebuild it with younger players including Kreutz.

Since the Bears have brought in two previous former Rams O-linemen(Miller and St.Clair), I wonder if the Bears might be going after Pace. I personally would like to see them draft and develop some linemen.That has been the one of the things that has been lacking with this coaching staff since they have been here the other thing has been developing a drafted WR.Beekman is the first O-lineman that was drafted by the Bears who started and played more than one game under this staff.In defense of this staff if we look back over the history of JA's picks you can count the O-linemen he has picked on 1 hand.He has always chosen to bring in FA or fringe OL and plug them in.This year its Omiyale.Rueben Brown,Fred Miller,John Tait,Roberto Garza and St.Clair all were similar in the fact that they were veterans that had limited shelf life left.I think they should blow the whole line up and rebuild it with younger players including Kreutz.

I think to have good play you need to mix old and young. Bring in a veteran that could start for descent contract and draft a guy high to compete and let the better guy win. In two years we have Williams, Omiyale, Beekman, Buening, draft pick. I could see that happening. And a little depth.