BEARS GET CUTLER! - Official

DaBearSox

For the first time in a long time defenses must respect the entire field. Rex could throw the deep ball but not the dumpoff, nor could he move around. Cutler can make every throw,

What exactly are you basing this on? Convince me. I had been taking everybody's word for it (since everybody was saying it, it must be true, right?), then I read something on another messageboard and checked it out for myself and sure enough, Cutler's ratio on throws over 30 yards is 4/27 with 4 picks and 1 TD. Am I missing something? It kinda pisses me off how far from being a great deep ball thower that sounds like. He does have a 43% from 20-30 which sounds good to me, but heck, it's only 6 points higher than Orton's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=9597

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-watch the Bears/Broncos game from 2007 and watch this guy throw.

It'll be the first time since Rex we see a QB who can hit a guy going deep in stride.

yeah the deep throw to marshall is something else....on the flip side, the TD to scheffler should never have been thrown...hopefully he doesn't take those risks often, even if it did work out

Interesting, Bears almost had the deal done with just one 1st rounder, but the Redskins came in and offered two and at that point the Bears had to step up there offer.

Hub Arkush was on the Score and said the deal was practically done as Cutler for 09 1st, 09 3rd and Orton... like moments from sending in the papers. Then of course Daniel Snyder came in and offered Campbell, 09 1st, 10 1st, and for about 30 minutes, that was the deal that was going to happen.

Angelo said "f*** that" and came back and added the extra 1st and the Broncos tossed in a 5th.

Apparently all the above happened in about an hour and it was a go from there.

What exactly are you basing this on? Convince me. I had been taking everybody's word for it (since everybody was saying it, it must be true, right?), then I read something on another messageboard and checked it out for myself and sure enough, Cutler's ratio on throws over 30 yards is 4/27 with 4 picks and 1 TD. Am I missing something? It kinda pisses me off how far from being a great deep ball thower that sounds like. He does have a 43% from 20-30 which sounds good to me, but heck, it's only 6 points higher than Orton's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=9597

I base it on the fact Cutler has the arm strength to make every throw on the field and he's accurate. Naturally you need someone on the other end to catch the ball and we're not swimming in that talent yet. Still, Cutler extends plays and with his arm strength DBs will have a tougher time choosing between coming up to tackle or staying with the guy going deep. I don't think they had that tough of a decision when it was Orton, he can only throw about 50yds (60yds with a tailwind). Cutler will throw 70yds. Bottom line: Devin Hester out ran Orton's arm all the time, he won't out run Cutler's. Cutler's arm strength and accuracy will also allow us to run more deep out routes, say 15-20yds downfield; passes Orton struggled with because the time it took for the ball to get there meant he had to throw it into a tighter window closer to the sideline.

Stats don't always tell the whole story, especially on deep passes. How many of those passes were hail-mary throws at the end of a half or end of the game? On the other hand how many were Cutler trying to force something deep? I don't know either way.

Despite all that I'm staying realistic knowing we didn't sign Peyton Manning. Cutler is still young, still forces throws at times and he doesn't know our offense nor his teammates. Getting him to dump off the ball to Forte might be the biggest challenge. I view this as a long term solution to a long term problem. We'll see some great things from Cutler this year but we'll see some INTs too. Things should get better as the season moves along.

From rotoworld:

In a letter to season ticket holders, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen laid the blame with Jay Cutler for the situation that led to his being traded.

"Ultimately, given his unwillingness to speak with either of us directly in the last 12 days — at the same time his agent clearly stating to us Jay’s intentions — it became very apparent to me personally that he no longer wanted to play for the Denver Broncos," the letter read. It sounds like the Broncos are in full damage-control mode as their fans brace for the Kyle Orton Era.

That "talk" could very well be Seattle's attempt at getting those two first round picks. Consider their needs and QB is not at the top of the list. They could drop down and use those first rounders to grab their WR and OT.

Olsen's blog comments about Cutler: http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_Our-New-QB/...widgetId=159111

More Urlacher on Cutler:

''We have some big names on offense, which we haven't had since I've been here. We have a franchise quarterback, which we obviously haven't had. We're going in the right direction.

''He's still young [25]. I'm sure he has a lot to learn, but from what I've seen he has all the skills you want in a quarterback. He can throw the ball on the run, he can throw it from the pocket. He's got a cannon. And he can play well in cold weather, having played in Denver, so that will be important playing in Chicago.''

''He's got nothing to explain to me,'' Urlacher said. ''They tried to trade him, and he got a little peed off about it.

''As a player, if a team talks about trading you, you would be a little mad, and he got really mad. I don't blame him one bit. ... I'm on his side, and most of the time players are on each other's side when these matters go down. He's got nothing to explain to us.''

''He'll do a great job,'' Urlacher said. ''He's got a swagger about him which, personally, I love a quarterback who has a swagger. He's cocky, but not too cocky. I like that. I think you have to have that as your quarterback, somebody who's confident and will get the job done.''

and on his health:

''My neck is healthy,'' he said. ''I didn't do any rehab -- all I did was train. I feel good, back to my normal self.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...T-url04.article