Potential FS Option?

chwtom

After Seattle picked Aaron Curry, they removed the franchise tag from Leroy Hill, effectively making him a free agent, since he hadn't yet signed the tender.

St Louis put the tag on up and coming FS OJ Otogwe, then drafted a FS at the start of the third round--Bradley Fletcher.

Might St Louis remove Otogwe's tag now that they have a cheaper option? Could the Bears pounce? They have the money, they showed that by their inquiry on Boldin.

After Seattle picked Aaron Curry, they removed the franchise tag from Leroy Hill, effectively making him a free agent, since he hadn't yet signed the tender.

St Louis put the tag on up and coming FS OJ Otogwe, then drafted a FS at the start of the third round--Bradley Fletcher.

Might St Louis remove Otogwe's tag now that they have a cheaper option? Could the Bears pounce? They have the money, they showed that by their inquiry on Boldin.

Just because they drafted a FS doesnt mean they take the tag off, just means they have another guy who can play FS and CB.

These two situations are not even close to being the same. Curry was the 4th overall pick and will be making around 50 million dollar, Fletcher was a 3rd round pick who will likely be playing corner. And that's just one difference.

These two situations are not even close to being the same. Curry was the 4th overall pick and will be making around 50 million dollar, Fletcher was a 3rd round pick who will likely be playing corner. And that's just one difference.

Oh, I agree, I do not think STL will free up Otowge. Just confirming SEA did remove the tag on Hill.

STL would be fools to let Otowge go.

Oh, I agree, I do not think STL will free up Otowge. Just confirming SEA did remove the tag on Hill.

STL would be fools to let Otowge go.

I was just replying to the original thought, not you.

Pretty stupid move by Seattle though. They went from having the best linebacking core in the NFL to basically using the 4th overall pick just to upgrade one LB who was already really good. It would have made a whole lot more sense to go with a LT or Crabtree there instead.

I liked the Curry pick at first because it really made that linebacking core sick, and improved that D, but now, it seems pretty pointless. Curry will be a stud, but from all accounts, they want to win now, and making a move like that just doesn't make a whole lotta sense, IMO.

• 1 year later...

Bumping one of the older Atogwe threads here.

Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe became a free agent at midnight ET, as expected, and now the fun part begins.

There's nothing preventing Atogwe and the Rams from continuing to work toward a long-term agreement, particularly if the sides exercise good faith.

The Rams had until midnight Tuesday to upgrade their one-year offer to Atogwe from $1.226 million to nearly $7 million, a move that would have allowed the Rams to maintain rights to the restricted free agent. But if the team had valued Atogwe at that level, its previous offer probably would have reflected as much.

Instead, the Rams took a calculated gamble. Atogwe is gambling as well. He turns 29 later this month and he's coming off an injury shortened season, so now is the time for him to maximize his value. Whatever the Rams offered before the June 1 deadline could decline in the future. That would be unfortunate for Atogwe if the market fails to bring him a deal more in line with the $6.3 million he earned from the Rams in 2009.

Free-agent FS Oshiomogho Atogwe (Rams) became an unrestricted free agent late Tuesday, June 1, according to Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Atogwe is free to negotiate with other NFL teams because his agent, Ken Landphere, and the St. Louis Rams could not reach agreement on a multiyear deal. The club then declined to sign Atogwe to a one-year tender for $6,976,000 - his 2009 salary plus 10 percent. Although the Rams no longer have exclusive rights to him, they still could sign Atogwe, and league sources indicated that talks would contuine,but the question is do we need him. After siging Harris and drafting Wright where would they fit. I would move Harris to SS and Atogwe to FS but Wright would be the odd man out. Manning should be used at the nickel. That would give us apretty good back end.

Oh I would love it, but I just do not see it happening.

I think the Bears, after spending HUGE bucks in FA already, may stand pat on this one.

I heard J.J. in Dallas might be in the hunt. If he is the price tag has just gone up.

I would be freaking estatic if we added Atogwe, but I don't see it. I don't think we should ignore such a solid FS due to a 3rd round pick, but the combination of adding a FS with out top pick with the financial factor makes such a move unlikely, despite who much it may help.

Man, the idea of Atogwe and Harris as our starters sounds just awesome, but I just do not see it happening.

Free-agent FS Oshiomogho Atogwe (Rams) became an unrestricted free agent late Tuesday, June 1, according to Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Atogwe is free to negotiate with other NFL teams because his agent, Ken Landphere, and the St. Louis Rams could not reach agreement on a multiyear deal. The club then declined to sign Atogwe to a one-year tender for $6,976,000 - his 2009 salary plus 10 percent. Although the Rams no longer have exclusive rights to him, they still could sign Atogwe, and league sources indicated that talks would contuine,but the question is do we need him. After siging Harris and drafting Wright where would they fit. I would move Harris to SS and Atogwe to FS but Wright would be the odd man out. Manning should be used at the nickel. That would give us apretty good back end.

What makes me sick is I read today Minny could have interst. That would be a double whammy.

I do not think it happens either, but I would also say, it should. There should be no question as to what sort of upgrade his addition would offer. Further, Angelo and Lovie know this is a make of break year, thus if it is possible, they should be all over this. But if we were forced to cut Brown to save money, I just do not see ownership giving up the money necessary for such a move.

Oh I would love it, but I just do not see it happening.

I think the Bears, after spending HUGE bucks in FA already, may stand pat on this one.

I heard J.J. in Dallas might be in the hunt. If he is the price tag has just gone up.

What makes me sick is I read today Minny could have interst. That would be a double whammy.

I do not think it happens either, but I would also say, it should. There should be no question as to what sort of upgrade his addition would offer. Further, Angelo and Lovie know this is a make of break year, thus if it is possible, they should be all over this. But if we were forced to cut Brown to save money, I just do not see ownership giving up the money necessary for such a move.

It is still possible - IMO. Releasing Brown for monetary reasons was to avoid overpaying for a position, when Brown wasn't due to play a prominant role. If you look at our safeties, they don't make squat. Adding Otogwe would change that of course. And if you look at our team, we have weak corners with still no proven cover safeties on the roster. Wright may end up being that guy, but who knows. Anyway, Wright could learn from Otogwe and be valuable insurance. He could also replace Harris in passing situations to provide flexibility in coverage. Manning needs to move back to nickel anyway.

Not having a 1st or 2nd rounder saved us a ton of money this year. If we have the money, I say do it. I wonder where we are, in theory, to the cap if it were present??

I say we go get him. Wright is not going to be the FS we need this season. He might be better than what we've had but consider that we have the potential for a solid defense and putting Otogwe back there with Harris gives us a solid starting tandem with good depth right behind them. Cornerback depth is still a concern so solidifying the safety spots helps minimize that risk. I have to add it was good to see some good words said about Graham on the Bears website today. I'm curious what he did this offseason to get a step faster, which of course opens up the question of why didn't he do it sooner.

Keep in mind the division we play in. Green Bay and Minn have two of the better passing games in the league. Detroit has one of the top young QBs/WR combinations. We need excellent pass coverage. Close the deal with Otogwe and safety becomes a strength of this team. When was the last time we said that?

If we sign Otogwe....then look ahead to next offseason....what positions do we need to focus on in the draft? Oline, CB, then what? It gives us nice options to go best player available at LB, RB, grab another Oline, CB whatever ranks highest. We can skip the expensive FAs to save cash and just use the draft.

Make it happen.

Even if there were a cap this year, I just do not think that would have anything to do with it. It still comes back to cash out of pocket, and giving Peppers what we did pretty much emptied the bank.

Every year fans talk about cap, but teams like Wash, Dallas and others have shown you can work around the cap. The real key is cash. Frankly, it was shocking the ownership ponied up the cash to sign Peppers, and then even doled out a bit more on a RB and TE. Now though we have spent so much cash I just can't see ownership opening up the wallets any further.

It is still possible - IMO. Releasing Brown for monetary reasons was to avoid overpaying for a position, when Brown wasn't due to play a prominant role. If you look at our safeties, they don't make squat. Adding Otogwe would change that of course. And if you look at our team, we have weak corners with still no proven cover safeties on the roster. Wright may end up being that guy, but who knows. Anyway, Wright could learn from Otogwe and be valuable insurance. He could also replace Harris in passing situations to provide flexibility in coverage. Manning needs to move back to nickel anyway.

Not having a 1st or 2nd rounder saved us a ton of money this year. If we have the money, I say do it. I wonder where we are, in theory, to the cap if it were present??

I would be freaking estatic if we added Atogwe, but I don't see it. I don't think we should ignore such a solid FS due to a 3rd round pick, but the combination of adding a FS with out top pick with the financial factor makes such a move unlikely, despite who much it may help.

Man, the idea of Atogwe and Harris as our starters sounds just awesome, but I just do not see it happening.

Since the Bears did not have a first rounder the past two drafts I think they could easily afford OJ. But I am not very optomistic they would actually sign him either. It would provide our best starting S tandem in years and provide very good depth. Would really like this move alot!

Agreed.

I could see if we drafted a first round D-Back talent. But Wright was a 3rd round pick. I expect some delay in development. Otogwe would solve an instant need, and we'd finally have some decent depth at the spot besudes watching Manning getting burned for the umpteenth time.

And if we don't sign Atogwe simply because of lack of cash...is that not fuel for the fire for calling the Bears cheap yet again? Would it really break the bank for the McCaskey's? Really?

...and 've been hearing rumblings that Detroit is the front runner for his services. Why does that somehow scare me?

I say we go get him. Wright is not going to be the FS we need this season. He might be better than what we've had but consider that we have the potential for a solid defense and putting Otogwe back there with Harris gives us a solid starting tandem with good depth right behind them. Cornerback depth is still a concern so solidifying the safety spots helps minimize that risk. I have to add it was good to see some good words said about Graham on the Bears website today. I'm curious what he did this offseason to get a step faster, which of course opens up the question of why didn't he do it sooner.

Keep in mind the division we play in. Green Bay and Minn have two of the better passing games in the league. Detroit has one of the top young QBs/WR combinations. We need excellent pass coverage. Close the deal with Otogwe and safety becomes a strength of this team. When was the last time we said that?

If we sign Otogwe....then look ahead to next offseason....what positions do we need to focus on in the draft? Oline, CB, then what? It gives us nice options to go best player available at LB, RB, grab another Oline, CB whatever ranks highest. We can skip the expensive FAs to save cash and just use the draft.

Make it happen.

Even if there were a cap this year, I just do not think that would have anything to do with it. It still comes back to cash out of pocket, and giving Peppers what we did pretty much emptied the bank.

Every year fans talk about cap, but teams like Wash, Dallas and others have shown you can work around the cap. The real key is cash. Frankly, it was shocking the ownership ponied up the cash to sign Peppers, and then even doled out a bit more on a RB and TE. Now though we have spent so much cash I just can't see ownership opening up the wallets any further.

I understand that point but we have one of the best contract negotiators and salary cap managers in the league with Cliff Stein. It is time to get creative and package in some bonus this year but overpay with guaranteed roster bonus next year, or even roster bonuses for both 2nd and 3rd year.

At this time of year how much cash do teams around the league have anyway? Nobody else has signed all their draft picks and you know those huge bonuses for first round picks require lots of upfront cash. Until their rookie contracts are signed can teams afford to throw a lot of money at Otogwe? He's not going to find the money he'd have found back in the beginning of FA.

I understand that point but we have one of the best contract negotiators and salary cap managers in the league with Cliff Stein. It is time to get creative and package in some bonus this year but overpay with guaranteed roster bonus next year, or even roster bonuses for both 2nd and 3rd year.

At this time of year how much cash do teams around the league have anyway? Nobody else has signed all their draft picks and you know those huge bonuses for first round picks require lots of upfront cash. Until their rookie contracts are signed can teams afford to throw a lot of money at Otogwe? He's not going to find the money he'd have found back in the beginning of FA.

Unfortunately, there's a big potential stumbling block for any attempt to move salary onto the 2011 numbers; a lockout. No player is going to want to sign a contract that includes a lot of money in 2011 but less in 2010 on the chance that there won't be a paycheck in 2011 anyway.

Here are some thoughts on the cap / cash situation:

1. The cap if it existed this year: We would be WAY over it due to the cash paid this year that won't hit the cap in future years.

2. Cash this year: We've pretty much already allocated all we can to this year. In fact, I think they spent into their reserves in case of lockout on FAs already.

3. Cap next year: NOBODY knows what it will look like. That's why most big contracts for FAs this year have been more modest than expected, or they all had (what would normally be) huge cap hits this year by the use of large Roster bonuses that don't get amortized.

So, in response to AZ54's suggestion that we backload the contract, that wouldn't really work because nobody knows if it would fit under the cap.

Another point is that contract provisions that are guaranteed for all contingencies have to be fully funded this year at the time of signing the deal. It's kinda like putting money in escrow. In other words, we'd still have to have the cash available now anyway.

Thanks for the info!

Here are some thoughts on the cap / cash situation:

1. The cap if it existed this year: We would be WAY over it due to the cash paid this year that won't hit the cap in future years.

2. Cash this year: We've pretty much already allocated all we can to this year. In fact, I think they spent into their reserves in case of lockout on FAs already.

3. Cap next year: NOBODY knows what it will look like. That's why most big contracts for FAs this year have been more modest than expected, or they all had (what would normally be) huge cap hits this year by the use of large Roster bonuses that don't get amortized.

So, in response to AZ54's suggestion that we backload the contract, that wouldn't really work because nobody knows if it would fit under the cap.

Another point is that contract provisions that are guaranteed for all contingencies have to be fully funded this year at the time of signing the deal. It's kinda like putting money in escrow. In other words, we'd still have to have the cash available now anyway.