Johnny Knox Tearing it up

GrizzlyBear

From the windy city Gridiron

Buried among all the bits of info coming out of OTAs, like a random "Cutler connects with Hester in stride" story and the "Bears continual search to throw everybody at the safety position except for the grounds crew", is this small story about Johnny Knox.

Knox thus far has been the most impressive rookie the Bears have.

Knox, who is arguably the fastest player on the field, has shown sticky fingers in almost every practice, catching anything within his grasp and rarely having a bobble, let alone a drop. He's still got a long way to go before he gets on the field once the regular season begins, but Knox will challenge for playing time in three and four-wide receiver sets if he continues to show the same sure hands and run-after-the-catch ability.

"It's coming along each day," Knox said. "I have to take my time and just have to get the feel of the quarterback, but I am feeling really comfortable each day."

The Bears wide receiving corp is still thier biggest question mark. Hester should continue to improve and Cutler will only help there, but after that the Bears have a bunch of rookies and a second year guy. Anything a rookie can give us is a huge deal.

The fact he can catch the football should be enough to get him on the field with our roster. We'll see how the Bears bring him along but I hope they scale it back from what they made Bennett learn last year.

One thing that surprised me about Knox is that he's bigger than I thought he was. He's not a big WR by any means but when we first drafted him I had a feeling he was another one of those fast little guys like Berrian was when he first showed up. Instead he's a little taller than I anticipated and he has a bit more of an NFL ready body and that gives me some hope he'll be able to contribute this year...if he can handle the playbook.

The fact he can catch the football should be enough to get him on the field with our roster. We'll see how the Bears bring him along but I hope they scale it back from what they made Bennett learn last year.

One thing that surprised me about Knox is that he's bigger than I thought he was. He's not a big WR by any means but when we first drafted him I had a feeling he was another one of those fast little guys like Berrian was when he first showed up. Instead he's a little taller than I anticipated and he has a bit more of an NFL ready body and that gives me some hope he'll be able to contribute this year...if he can handle the playbook.

Yeah, he was listed at 5'11" going into the Combine, but he measured in at 6 feet. And he definitely looks bigger at 185 pounds than most guys that light. There was a photo of Danieal Manning chasing him down in OTAs, and they look about the same size, despite Manning having 15 pounds on him.

One thing Gary (bowlingtwig) & I can tell you after getting his autograph & being front row in the rookie seminar at the Expo, he has spent a lot of time in the weight room. He is ripped! I was surprised to see a rookie WR come in looking like that.

I agree that he is a little bigger than we all thought and is really ripped. He definatley is no Airese Curry!

Except Berrian's 6-1 . . . Berrian's not short, but he's definitely lean. But I know what you're saying. Like you, I was thinking Know was more around 5-9, similar to Rashied Davis.

his hands were the thing that jumped out at me watching video of him. his ability to adjust and snag the ball out of the air. He's kind of my guy who I think is going to surprise some people this year. He seems to have great body control and awareness. Catching even balls that are perfectly thrown (and not every one will be) as a receiver you need to be able to adjust when the ball isn't where it should be to either make the catch or make a play on it to make sure if you don't catch it no one else will.

Knox is the rookie I am most excited about this year.

A quote from an article on the Sun-Times (About Rapport Building between Cutler & WRs):

Fifth-round draft pick Johnny Knox looks like he'll contribute immediately. He has world-class speed and has caught everything thrown his way. He could wind up having a significantly better season than third-round pick Juaquin Iglesias.

''He's not going to be held back from playing because of not grasping [the playbook],'' Turner said. ''We'll call what he knows when he's in there if he continues to play as he has.''

Whoever fits best with Cutler gets to play.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?po...;name=dickerson

Johnny Knox -- Knox can flat-out fly. He might be labeled a "small" receiver, but this rookie is put together and surprisingly strong for a guy his size. As I've stated before, let's wait until the pads come on to make our final evaluations, but up to this point, Knox has been the best of the rookie receivers.

Juaquin Iglesias-- Iglesias looked slow coming out of his breaks earlier this week. Just from observing a few workouts, it seems he's having a hard time getting open, a common problem for receivers still trying to adjust to the speed of the NFL. Regardless, all the buzz that Iglesias generated during draft weekend seems like a distant memory. Maybe strapping on the equipment this summer will help Iglesias, who was known as a physical player at Oklahoma. You can't hit anybody during OTAs.

I'm definitely excited for Knox. I think he could potentially fill a Nate Washington type of role for the Bears: a 3rd or 4th receiver, but a legitimate deep threat from the slot or out of a bunch/4-wide formation. If he can equal Washington's first-year production (35 receptions, 624 yards, 4 TDs) I'll be very happy. That said, it'll be unfortunate if Iglesias continues to struggle separating from DBs.

As long as one solid guy comes out of this class, I'll be ecstatic!

If it's knox over iglesias, so be it! We've not invested heavily in either...

I'm definitely excited for Knox. I think he could potentially fill a Nate Washington type of role for the Bears: a 3rd or 4th receiver, but a legitimate deep threat from the slot or out of a bunch/4-wide formation. If he can equal Washington's first-year production (35 receptions, 624 yards, 4 TDs) I'll be very happy. That said, it'll be unfortunate if Iglesias continues to struggle separating from DBs.

Seems like Turner has learned from last years mistake when he forced Bennett to learn everything before he got on the field. We need this in a big way if these rookies are going to contribute for us. I have always felt you learn best by getting on the field. Of course guys have to show something in practice but it's the coaches job to recognize talent and potential and accelerate that learning process and that means finding ways to get players involved.

Seems like Turner has learned from last years mistake when he forced Bennett to learn everything before he got on the field. We need this in a big way if these rookies are going to contribute for us. I have always felt you learn best by getting on the field. Of course guys have to show something in practice but it's the coaches job to recognize talent and potential and accelerate that learning process and that means finding ways to get players involved.

Yeah, I didn't think of it that way - what he's saying about Knox is the opposite of what he did with Earl last year. I guess the difference is that last year he had veteran wideouts on the roster, they just turned out to be ineffective. This year he's not in a position to keep anyone on the bench who can contribute. Even if Knox only knows one play by September, I want to see him on the field when they run that one.

It was bad coaching (or rather a bad coaches decision) to keep Booker on the field. He did nothing in training camp or preseason to deserve the playing time he got. While Bennett might not have been ready in game one, after seeing Booker struggle early on you would think they'd have changed course with Bennett. But hey, the captain of the Titanic didn't change course either and he made history.

It was bad coaching (or rather a bad coaches decision) to keep Booker on the field. He did nothing in training camp or preseason to deserve the playing time he got. While Bennett might not have been ready in game one, after seeing Booker struggle early on you would think they'd have changed course with Bennett. But hey, the captain of the Titanic didn't change course either and he made history.

I think the fact we were in the running for a playoff spot figured into the equation for letting the vets play. Looking back, as bad as our WRs were, how could he not get a chance to show his stuff. The coaching choices on this team amaze me sometimes.

I think the fact we were in the running for a playoff spot figured into the equation for letting the vets play. Looking back, as bad as our WRs were, how could he not get a chance to show his stuff. The coaching choices on this team amaze me sometimes.

I'm not sure I can agree with that since the starters were decided in TC and there was very low exoectations coming out of camp. The playoff spot developed during the season but Turner's penchant for not putting young WRs on the field recently has been a regular occurence.