coaching staff  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will stay and who will go

• no change all will be back as is
    • Jerry, Lovie, Toub stay, new OC & DC
    • Jerry & Toub stay, new HC, OC, & DC
    • Toub the lone survivor, new GM, HC, OC, & DC
    • All gone, not even the water boy is safe

While far from what I want, I think Lovie stays. Turner gone is obvious IMHO. I think we could see, similar to the defense this year, a who new group of faces on offense. Lovie will be forced to hire a new DC, and not one he would otherwise want.

This is not what I want, but simply what I think happens. Momentum was such that I thought Lovie could go, but after upsetting Minny on national Tv, followed by a win to end the season, I think Lovie's job could be safe.

I know we've been over this with a backhoe but now that the season actually is over what does everyone's crystal ball say?

For some reason my vote won't register but if it did, I would go with the second pick. I am one of the few that would like to see Lovie stay where he is for one more year. I wasn't so sure a few weeks ago that would happen but have more confidence after these last few weeks. As far as the OC and DC go, I am all for the expulsion of Babich and Turner. Who instead? We shall see.

However things work out I would like to congratulate Lovie and the team in these last two wins especially with the defense missing as many starters as they were. Here's to an improved 2010.

I know we've been over this with a backhoe but now that the season actually is over what does everyone's crystal ball say?

You should have added "other." My vote is for a new DC . . . who would likely be Rod Marinelli. Which is kind of like, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." But our defensive play has been unacceptable. Hell, the fact that we gave up 23 points to the Lions . . .

My concerns with a new offense are twofold:

1. We seem to be headed in the right direction. I want to see us build on the continuity.

2. Who the hell do we bring in as our OC? I want somebody with experience. We're just as likely to hire the next Terry Shea.

If your asking who I want to stay and go, I would say to keep Toub only.

However, I anticipate a free pass for Lovie and Angelo with Turner as the scapegoat. Angelo will point to "bringing in a Franchise QB" as his crowning achievement, and Lovie's defense will be key injuries to Urlacher and company. Forte was slowed all year, Harris was not 100%, etc, etc. I can see it now.

I would be completely surprised if Lovie or Angelo were fired.

While I would like to see us clean house including possibly Jerry and getting in a new staff that has experience and can cultivate the talent on the roster. I think it would be in the best interest of our team considering we need to make some choices with Jay Cutler in mind. Bringing in new coordinators for a coach on the hot seat will likely not yield the best results and then the following season if they do decide to bring in a new HC he will want his own guys. Giving our franchise QB 3 OC's in three seasons.

I have a feeling Lovie will be back but do believe that Jerry will demand that we get an OC and DC (preferably one who doesn't subscribe to the flawed cover 0 defense). That said if we do in fact keep Lovie but bring in a new OC and DC. And we happen to bring quality coaches at those positions to the point where Lovie is basically an overseer and the Coordinators are given the reigns to do their job without meddling I think it can work. I know that defensively Lovie is stuck in cover 0 land and even made Chico stick with a form of his defensive preference. Who says that the coaches all have to get along like buddy buddy to succeed. They just all need to be good at what they are paid to do. Ditka and Ryan didn't get along at all but that didn't stop them from winning a SB. If Jerry does keep Lovie I think he needs to see if we can find a combination of coaches that can turn us into a winner long term. If there is a scenario that we can win with Lovie as our HC then I'm ok with that.

If following the 2006 season if we had continued being a serious contender the past three season I doubt many of us would calling for his head. Now that's not the case and we have gotten worse each successive year. But look at the staff's evolution the past three seasons. Following the SB Chico is let go, and Babich (Lovies buddy) is promoted to DC under the guise that he can carry on the D as well as Chico did. That failed miserably as the defense deteriorated putting more pressure on a struggling offense led by Grossman who's play continued to decline and we played QB merry go round. Then this offseason we go out and get Cutler now Ron has the QB that he's been lacking to make his system work. Babich is demoted and Lovie takes over the D.... the D gets worse. The less involved Lovie is in the coordinators duties or meddling the better. I think it can work if we bring in the right Coordinators and they are allowed to do things their way and Lovie is willing to respect that unless it's necessary to.

Bottom line of what I'm getting at is if Lovie stays I would prefer they have something more long term as far as coordinators so we aren't back here next year again only to clean house and start over. I think in the right situation Lovie could be a decent HC but for him the less control he has the better. So if he stays I would prefer a more hands off approach.

Im not giving up hope that Lovie will be fired. 3 straight years at 7-9 and constant underachieving is unexcuseable. Ever since Lovie got GM powers and started bringing in the guys he wanted, this team went to hell. And this great defensive minded coach was god awful calling the plays for the Bears this year.

Fire him, and bring in Grimm or Jim Harbaugh (Shannahan rumored to be getting 10 mil per year from Washington... Ill pass).

Im not giving up hope that Lovie will be fired. 3 straight years at 7-9 and constant underachieving is inexcusable. Ever since Lovie got GM powers and started bringing in the guys he wanted, this team went to hell. And this great defensive minded coach was god awful calling the plays for the Bears this year.

Fire him, and bring in Grimm or Jim Harbaugh (Shannahan rumored to be getting 10 mil per year from Washington... Ill pass).

Same here till I officially hear that he's gone or back I won't give up hope that we will clean house. But I wouldn't bet on him getting fired.

This exactly what I'm getting at here, The more involved Lovie gets, the worse this team gets. The only way we can succeed with Lovie as HC is that he is restricted to a more hands off role. But if your HC has to be handcuffed for your team to succeed you must ask what's the point of having him as your HC?

Same here till I officially hear that he's gone or back I won't give up hope that we will clean house. But I wouldn't bet on him getting fired.

This exactly what I'm getting at here, The more involved Lovie gets, the worse this team gets. The only way we can succeed with Lovie as HC is that he is restricted to a more hands off role. But if your HC has to be handcuffed for your team to succeed you must ask what's the point of having him as your HC?

Can't be said any better than that. I'd like to thank BearFan for clearly stating the case for Lovie and I'd really like to thank Lovie for taking over the DC role to prove what we've all been thinking about his coaching for the last few years. Those two timeouts in the Green Bay game were priceless.

Im not giving up hope that Lovie will be fired. 3 straight years at 7-9 and constant underachieving is unexcuseable. Ever since Lovie got GM powers and started bringing in the guys he wanted, this team went to hell. And this great defensive minded coach was god awful calling the plays for the Bears this year.

Correction: 2007 7-9; 2008 9-7; 2009 7-9.

Peace :dabears

While far from what I want, I think Lovie stays. Turner gone is obvious IMHO. I think we could see, similar to the defense this year, a who new group of faces on offense. Lovie will be forced to hire a new DC, and not one he would otherwise want.

This is not what I want, but simply what I think happens. Momentum was such that I thought Lovie could go, but after upsetting Minny on national Tv, followed by a win to end the season, I think Lovie's job could be safe.

This is how I see it as well.

Peace :dabears

Agreed...