Martz interviewing today

'TD'

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-012910.article

Mike Martz interviewing for Bears offensive coordinator job

Comments

January 29, 2010

BY SEAN JENSEN Staff Reporter

Former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz is interviewing for the Bears offensive coordinator job today, and the club may make a decision on the vacancy in the coming days.

Martz had spoken to Bears head coach Lovie Smith early in the process, but he finally got an interview today. Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers is believed to have made a strong impression on the Bears during an interview Thursday, and he or Martz could compel the Bears not to wait for any assistants on the two Super Bowl teams.

» Click to enlarge image

Mike Martz is interviewing with the Bears today.

(AP)

But it remains uncertain if it's a two-horse race. The Bears have researched at least one other candidate for the position.

There's been no shortage of drama in the club's search to fill their vacancies.

The Bears lined up an interview with USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, but he cancelled and accepted a job with the Seattle Seahawks. Meanwhile, their top choice for the defensive coordinator post, Perry Fewell, accepted the same job from the New York Giants.

Comments

January 29, 2010

Former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz is interviewing for the Bears offensive coordinator job today, and the club may make a decision on the vacancy in the coming days.

Martz had spoken to Bears head coach Lovie Smith early in the process, but he finally got an interview today. Minnesota Vikings quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers is believed to have made a strong impression on the Bears during an interview Thursday, and he or Martz could compel the Bears not to wait for any assistants on the two Super Bowl teams.

» Click to enlarge image

(AP)

But it remains uncertain if it's a two-horse race. The Bears have researched at least one other candidate for the position.

The Bears lined up an interview with USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, but he cancelled and accepted a job with the Seattle Seahawks. Meanwhile, their top choice for the defensive coordinator post, Perry Fewell, accepted the same job from the New York Giants.

I'll take Martz over Rogers. Either way it's selecting the last kid in a pick up football game. Oh I guess I'll take Martz.

I think I just threw up in my mouth. Verp.

Many will say Martz is no worse than some of these other names thrown out there. I want to agree, but here is a big problem for me. I fear that Martz will not only prove a bad fit for the team this year, but could actually hurt the development of this offense.

Part of me says screw it. Let Lovie hire his BFF to run the offense, and then promote his other BFF to run the D (Marinelli). No way Lovie could shed responsibility at that point. Team will fail in 2010, but that is likely to happen regardless of who we hire. So we finally get the house cleaning so many of us want.

Even though there is a side of me saying this, the idea still makes me sick. On offense, we have a franchise QB. While I do not agree we have to cater to him, we do need an OC that compliments him, and I do not believe that is Martz. We have a "potential" franchise TE, and yet we are looking at bringing in an OC that doesn't realize the TE is an offensive weapon. He thinks its simply slang for view of a hot chic walking away. We have some nice young WR talent, but if his system doesn't fit for Cutler, are these receivers going to be wasted? Will their development be stunted? We need to get Forte back on track, and yet we are looking at an OC that doesn't believe in running the ball. Oh yea, and I have read more than a few aticles talking about how Martz' system is quite different from Tice's blocking scheme, and that makes you wonder as well.

Can I finally point out that in the two cities Martz has worked since losing the HC job, he has not gotten along w/ either HC. One is a former Bear most all here still love today (Singletary) and the other is a freaking coach on our defense (Marinelli).

Sorry, but I just can't get excited about this move. Even if this is the move that helps get rid of Lovie, I fear long term damage he can cause will be felt long after he is gone.

Comments

January 29, 2010

» Click to enlarge image

(AP)

At this point, I think I agree, let Lovie corner himself. I am in agreement with MadLit's position on this organization, but at this point, I guess the string just needs to play out. I honestly can't believe that any coordinator they hire on either side of the ball is really going to make a difference. With this roster and this head coach, I can't see next year being any better than this year. 7-9 might be the best they can muster next year. Even if Martz is the guy and he can improve the offense (he might, but Cutler is dead meat), this defense is only going to get worse. Tillman is on the other side of his career. As for Urlacher, at this point, he is not special anymore. With a pitiful draft position and god knows what is available in Free Agency, where is the improvement coming from for the defense?

If we assume Cutler and the offense will get better, the defense will once again let this team down. I can't see this team leap frogging either Minnesota or Green Bay. So no playoffs for next year and Lovie/Jerry/Ted are all gone.

I think I just threw up in my mouth. Verp.

Many will say Martz is no worse than some of these other names thrown out there. I want to agree, but here is a big problem for me. I fear that Martz will not only prove a bad fit for the team this year, but could actually hurt the development of this offense.

Part of me says screw it. Let Lovie hire his BFF to run the offense, and then promote his other BFF to run the D (Marinelli). No way Lovie could shed responsibility at that point. Team will fail in 2010, but that is likely to happen regardless of who we hire. So we finally get the house cleaning so many of us want.

Even though there is a side of me saying this, the idea still makes me sick. On offense, we have a franchise QB. While I do not agree we have to cater to him, we do need an OC that compliments him, and I do not believe that is Martz. We have a "potential" franchise TE, and yet we are looking at bringing in an OC that doesn't realize the TE is an offensive weapon. He thinks its simply slang for view of a hot chic walking away. We have some nice young WR talent, but if his system doesn't fit for Cutler, are these receivers going to be wasted? Will their development be stunted? We need to get Forte back on track, and yet we are looking at an OC that doesn't believe in running the ball. Oh yea, and I have read more than a few aticles talking about how Martz' system is quite different from Tice's blocking scheme, and that makes you wonder as well.

Can I finally point out that in the two cities Martz has worked since losing the HC job, he has not gotten along w/ either HC. One is a former Bear most all here still love today (Singletary) and the other is a freaking coach on our defense (Marinelli).

Sorry, but I just can't get excited about this move. Even if this is the move that helps get rid of Lovie, I fear long term damage he can cause will be felt long after he is gone.

Uncle Buck, you know we're in trouble if you're agreeing with me!

As you guys mentined...the only hope from this is the expediting of Smith and Angelo's departures, while hopefully not setting Cutler back too many years in the process.

Time to invest in Tums and Rolaids...

At this point, I think I agree, let Lovie corner himself. I am in agreement with MadLit's position on this organization, but at this point, I guess the string just needs to play out. I honestly can't believe that any coordinator they hire on either side of the ball is really going to make a difference. With this roster and this head coach, I can't see next year being any better than this year. 7-9 might be the best they can muster next year. Even if Martz is the guy and he can improve the offense (he might, but Cutler is dead meat), this defense is only going to get worse. Tillman is on the other side of his career. As for Urlacher, at this point, he is not special anymore. With a pitiful draft position and god knows what is available in Free Agency, where is the improvement coming from for the defense?

If we assume Cutler and the offense will get better, the defense will once again let this team down. I can't see this team leap frogging either Minnesota or Green Bay. So no playoffs for next year and Lovie/Jerry/Ted are all gone.

Personally, I would like to look at it optimistically. Its hard, but I'll try.

Offense

W/ the right coach, I think this could be a very good offense. OL was improved simply w/ the changes to the OTs late in the season. Add Tice and a new OL, and we could actually have a decent OL, which I still believe was the cause of many problems. I believe we saw considerable development from our receivers, and further believe that will only continue. If we can bring in a better coach than Turner, this could be a damn good offense.

Defense

Totally understand your skepticism here, but... If Urlacher and Pisa can return and stay healthy, that alone makes a big difference IMHO for the defense. Bowman was a 1st time starter, and will enter the season w/ more experience. At the end of the day, I do not expect this D to be great, or even good, but the return of Urlacher alone could make them better. As for the coach, while Lovie is still the HC, I still argue Rivera proved you can coach under Lovie, and in his system, and see results. We need a coach who is a better play caller and does a better job making adjustments.

So w/ the right coaching in place, do I believe this team could be improved? Yes. Do I believe we will find that better coaching? Um, no.

The other aspect, back to skepticism, is our schedule. It is hard to know this early, but we have one hell of a tough schedule for next year. One article even pointed to the schedule as a deterent for getting coaches to come here as there is the expectation we have to have a very good year for coaches to keep their job, and that is made only more difficult due to our schedule.

Frankly, right now, I think our situation next year could be such that Det passes us in the standings. If there is football in 2011, the good news is we SHOULD have a new coaching staff and a high draft pick. But it is hard to get excited even about that thought as it is so far away.

I see status quo.

The stats may zoom or bust, but I htink we do about as well... 8-8, something like that. Some areas good, others bad. Just enough good to make the McCaskey's think about saving their good old buddy, Zombie yet again.

If Martz is hired, I see them either taking off or going through the floor with no middle ground. Most likely, it will prove to be a disaster and we will be getting a new GM and coaching staff next yr.

Peace :dabears

Is the problem with Martz that he is a bad Coordinator or that he is related to Lovie?

He was 53-32 as a HC and had only one full losing season at 7-9. His winning percentage is higher than any current active HC. He also had some of the most prolific offenses of this era. Kitna threw for 4,000 yards in both seasons that Martz was there - and the Lions won more games (7 in 2007) when he was the OC than they did in any other year of the decade.

If you just took his background, and took his name (and Lovie's) out of the equation, everyone would be clamoring for him.

At this point, he is a huge upgrade over Turner and has the history to back it up. I don't like the Lovie-Link but in terms of offensive pedigree, he seems to be a solid choice.

First we are complaining we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel interviewing OCs that have limited experience or credentials then we are complaining about interviewing an OC that certainly has a good resume just because, I assume, he has ties to Lovie. Does having an association with Lovie automatically disqualify you for a position with the Bears?

If he tries to run the greatest show on earth here he will fail. We all know that. However, I would like to think he is smart enough to adapt his offense to what talent he has around him. I would like to think that if the Bears brought in Tice for the OL it means we still want to play smash mouth football on offense.

I do not know if we will hire this guy or not. I would like to wait until after the SB and try and interview some candidates from those two teams. However, if we wait, then the Bears (according to many) are inept because they have taken too long.

Guess there is not a damn thing the Bears management can do at this point to satisfy anyone, short of a total house cleaning, which will not happen, so we might as well stop thinking about that until we see what happens in the 2010 season.

Offense

W/ the right coach, I think this could be a very good offense. OL was improved simply w/ the changes to the OTs late in the season. Add Tice and a new OL, and we could actually have a decent OL, which I still believe was the cause of many problems. I believe we saw considerable development from our receivers, and further believe that will only continue. If we can bring in a better coach than Turner, this could be a damn good offense.

Defense

Totally understand your skepticism here, but... If Urlacher and Pisa can return and stay healthy, that alone makes a big difference IMHO for the defense. Bowman was a 1st time starter, and will enter the season w/ more experience. At the end of the day, I do not expect this D to be great, or even good, but the return of Urlacher alone could make them better. As for the coach, while Lovie is still the HC, I still argue Rivera proved you can coach under Lovie, and in his system, and see results. We need a coach who is a better play caller and does a better job making adjustments.

So w/ the right coaching in place, do I believe this team could be improved? Yes. Do I believe we will find that better coaching? Um, no.

The other aspect, back to skepticism, is our schedule. It is hard to know this early, but we have one hell of a tough schedule

Offense

Defense

The other aspect, back to skepticism, is our schedule. It is hard to know this early, but we have one hell of a tough schedule for next year. One article even pointed to the schedule as a deterent for getting coaches to come here as there is the expectation we have to have a very good year for coaches to keep their job, and that is made only more difficult due to our schedule.

Frankly, right now, I think our situation next year could be such that Det passes us in the standings. If there is football in 2011, the good news is we SHOULD have a new coaching staff and a high draft pick. But it is hard to get excited even about that thought as it is so far away.

What is interesting in all of this discussion and all of the media coverage is that there has been no new word on a D-Coordinator. This might scare me more than the choice of OC. I thought I read somewhere that Marinelli might be open to the role and the guess there was that he would be the fall back position. If this comes to fruitition, is that any different that the previous promotion of Bob Babich. I know Marinelli was a head coach, but really is it any different?

As for offense, if Martz is the man, given his disdain for the running game, I'd like to be the fly in the locker room when Tice blows up at him over the running game, or lack thereof. I am just worried that this line won't be stong enough to protect Cutler in Martz's scheme, even with their improvement at the end of the year.

Offense

Defense

Birds of a feather flock together :cheers

I think next season is going to add nothing but joy to my burgeoning ulcer!!

Uncle Buck, you know we're in trouble if you're agreeing with me!

As you guys mentined...the only hope from this is the expediting of Smith and Angelo's departures, while hopefully not setting Cutler back too many years in the process.

Time to invest in Tums and Rolaids...

Offense

That's what I see. With Martz bringing in his offensive mind, the Bears offense immediately gains notoriety, and becomes dangerous for any opponent. I'd say it's a safe bet that the Bears would end up with a top ten offense.

If the D does ANYTHING (and there are no injuries), the Bears are in the playoffs, IMHO.

What I see if we are hiring Martz is this:

Warner was sacked 114 times in 50 games started With Mike Martz as OC or HC [AVG = 36.48 sacks / 16 GS]

Bulger was sacked 116 times in 44 games started with Mike Martz as HC [AVG = 42.18 sacks / 16 GS]

Kitna was sacked 114 times in 32 games started with Mike Martz as OC [AVG = 57 sacks / 16 GS]

Hill and O'Sullivan were sacked 55 times in 16 games started with Mike Martz as OC [AVG = 55 sacks / 16 GS]

So that leaves us with 399 sacks to Martz quarterbacks in 142 games started

Equals out to an average of 2.81 sacks / game started, or 45 sacks per standard 16 games started a year. I know there are a lot of variables to consider being different teams and all, but humor me.

Now the Bears allowed 35 sacks this year to be ranked 19th in the league in the statistic, in 16 games started for Cutler. If Martz were to live up to his averages as an offensive play caller, that means Cutler could be looking at getting sacked 10 more times than he did this year bringing up roughly 80 sacks in two years. Is that what we want for him?

Taken from here.

What I see if we are hiring Martz is this:

Taken from here.

Good points. What I see is this:

1999 OC with Rams

2000-2005 HC with Rams

2006 OC with Lions (Kitna over 4000 yds passing)

2007 OC with Lions (Kitna over 4000 yds passing)

2008 OC with 49ers (two bum QBs almost get 4000 yds)

Is Martz a risk? Yes.

Does he present the probability that Cutler will be sacked a lot? Yes.

Is the risk of Martz less than the other possibilities? Yes.

Is the reward of a Martz offense greater than other possibilities? Oh, hell yes.

If you can guarantee that C. Williams will play like Pace did between 1999 and 2005 I buy it.

And I can't care less about total yardage. Of those 10 teams only 5 (Rams: 04, 01, 00, 99 SF: 08) threw more TDs than Int. Only Rams (99, 00, 01) threw more than 25 TDs in a season. A bit poor for a OC/HC that are considered an offensive mastermind with a pass first offense imo.

If you can guarantee that C. Williams will play like Pace did between 1999 and 2005 I buy it.

And I can't care less about total yardage. Of those 10 teams only 5 (Rams: 04, 01, 00, 99 SF: 08) threw more TDs than Int. Only Rams (99, 00, 01) threw more than 25 TDs in a season. A bit poor for a OC/HC that are considered an offensive mastermind with a pass first offense imo.

02 - 04 was a rough time of transition for the Rams, from Kurt Warner to Marc Bulger. It also happened to coincide with the dwindling of Marshall Faulk's competency.

I can't say why his teams didn't punch it into the endzone more often, but I'm sure if you look at the passing TDs and the rushing TDs for Martz's teams combined, I'm willing to bet that they are in the top of the league.