OL help in the 7th

ParkerBear7

This pick was nothing but placation, a way to manipulate stats so that years later they can argue their disdain for drafting OL by saying, "We drafted an OL every year!" (or some other nonsense)

Do you really think we drafted him specifically for that reason? I'd like to think better of the organization then that.

This pick was nothing but placation, a way to manipulate stats so that years later they can argue their disdain for drafting OL by saying, "We drafted an OL every year!" (or some other nonsense)

If that were true...they would have taken a LB with that pick. Angelo has taken an LB in every draft except this one....which is understandable considering the depth at LB and our lack of draft picks.

Do you really think we drafted him specifically for that reason? I'd like to think better of the organization then that.

Not entirely, but yes, I do believe it's part of the decision. Sure, if there was a stud in the 7th they would have selected him, but I actually believe the front office does stuff like this just so they can argue with the concept that they don't draft OL.

Jason, I disagree. If you do not like JA & LS fine. But the idea they drafted an OT in the 7th for the reason you list is IMO way out there and wrong. They were drafting players at each spot they felt had a chance to contribute now or in the future. Obviously you do not expect a 7th rounder to contribute immediately although it has certainly happened in the past, even on the Bears. However, I am sure intrigued with the massive size of this guy and the reports I have read.

Besides the point that Pixote makes remember you are talking about an O-lineman....who is 6'8" and 300 and some odd pounds. You could've drafted a guy like this in the 1st round, paid him a whole heck of a lot more money and gotten possibly less or as much production. This is a project you try out and if he doesn't work out, no big loss. If he does, you are considered a genious for finding him in the rough.

So let me ask you this, of the following names what do you think they all have in common? Steve Tasker, Eric Martin, Bo Jackson, Kevin Gogan, Leon Lett, Keenan McCardell, Odewale Ogunleye and Shaun O'Hara.

I can tell you each of the above listed guys were drafted 7th round or less (and in the case of Ogunleye and O'Hara not at all) and were all Pro-Bowlers at some point in their careers. And these were names I randomly found in draft classes 1985, 87, 91 and 2000. You just never know what you're going to get.

The one sure positive is the Bears currently have a 1st round going into next year's draft. Something that couldn't have been said the last two years.

Besides the point that Pixote makes remember you are talking about an O-lineman....who is 6'8" and 300 and some odd pounds. You could've drafted a guy like this in the 1st round, paid him a whole heck of a lot more money and gotten possibly less or as much production. This is a project you try out and if he doesn't work out, no big loss. If he does, you are considered a genious for finding him in the rough.

So let me ask you this, of the following names what do you think they all have in common? Steve Tasker, Eric Martin, Bo Jackson, Kevin Gogan, Leon Lett, Keenan McCardell, Odewale Ogunleye and Shaun O'Hara.

I can tell you each of the above listed guys were drafted 7th round or less (and in the case of Ogunleye and O'Hara not at all) and were all Pro-Bowlers at some point in their careers. And these were names I randomly found in draft classes 1985, 87, 91 and 2000. You just never know what you're going to get.

The one sure positive is the Bears currently have a 1st round going into next year's draft. Something that couldn't have been said the last two years.

While I agree with your sentiment Bo Jackson doesn't belongin this group, the only reason he was drafted so low was because he was drafted First round the year before & wouldn't sign. I also want to say he was playing baseball by then but am not sure

The lists from the first few rounds are much longer. Sure, it's possible...but not likely. For a position that needed arguably the most attention on the team, I'd hope the Bears would pay more attention to it than "not likely."

The lists from the first few rounds are much longer. Sure, it's possible...but not likely. For a position that needed arguably the most attention on the team, I'd hope the Bears would pay more attention to it than "not likely."

With at least 7 picks in next years draft, lets hope we use 2 out of the top 4 on Oline next year. Highly unlikely, but well need 2 guards and possibly a RT real soon. I still have hope for Omiyale and now that we have a coach known for grooming Oline, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

With at least 7 picks in next years draft, lets hope we use 2 out of the top 4 on Oline next year. Highly unlikely, but well need 2 guards and possibly a RT real soon. I still have hope for Omiyale and now that we have a coach known for grooming Oline, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jason, how many roster spots should we keep towards the o-line? You keep saying we need to add o-linemen, but where do we find spots for them? Since the o-line doesn't rotate players, we typically keep 5 starters, 2 back-ups, one special teamer (Mannelly) and one inactive for developmental purposes (Last year it was Louis)

Do you really think we should keep more then 9? The way we go through d-linemen and d-backs, this doesn't seem practical.

We currently have 7 o-linemen likely guaranteed to make the team: Williams, Beekman, Kreutz, Garza, Shaffer, Omiyale, and Mannelly. That basically leaves us room to add 2 more. If we really like Lance Louis, then we only need one. There was not a player available we could have drafted better then the top 6.

If Faneca can still play and we sign him, we're set IMO.

I know you're concerned about age, but it's not terrible:

Beekman's only 26 and he seems like the appropriate replacement for Kreutz.

Chris Williams is only 24. Ideally he'll be our starting LT for the next 10 years.

Omiyale is 27. I'm not overly optimistic, but like you I still have hope for the guy.

Shaffer's 30, Garza''s 31, and Kreutz is 32. IMO, we can count on at least 2 more years from each of these guys.

I just don't think the o-line is as bleak as you think. Manumaleuna's going to make everybody look better.

Jason, how many roster spots should we keep towards the o-line? You keep saying we need to add o-linemen, but where do we find spots for them? Since the o-line doesn't rotate players, we typically keep 5 starters, 2 back-ups, one special teamer (Mannelly) and one inactive for developmental purposes (Last year it was Louis)

Do you really think we should keep more then 9? The way we go through d-linemen and d-backs, this doesn't seem practical.

We currently have 7 o-linemen likely guaranteed to make the team: Williams, Beekman, Kreutz, Garza, Shaffer, Omiyale, and Mannelly. That basically leaves us room to add 2 more. If we really like Lance Louis, then we only need one. There was not a player available we could have drafted better then the top 6.

If Faneca can still play and we sign him, we're set IMO.

I know you're concerned about age, but it's not terrible:

Beekman's only 26 and he seems like the appropriate replacement for Kreutz.

Chris Williams is only 24. Ideally he'll be our starting LT for the next 10 years.

Omiyale is 27. I'm not overly optimistic, but like you I still have hope for the guy.

Shaffer's 30, Garza''s 31, and Kreutz is 32. IMO, we can count on at least 2 more years from each of these guys.

I just don't think the o-line is as bleak as you think. Manumaleuna's going to make everybody look better.

The easy answer is, you make roster spots by cutting guys that suck. Omiyale may be one of the worst performing Offensive Linemen I've ever seen. Shaffer and Beekman weren't a lot better. And Chris Williams is still somewhat of an unknown, but I hope, like you, that he'll be the starting LT for ten years.

I just happen to think it's was a more important need than anything else with the exception of FS.

I think this is really the big part. Omiyale was decent in spot starts at LT in Carolina. Moving him to the right side and where he'll play between two effective veteran blockers in Garza and Manumaleuna can only help his game. Manumaleuna basically gives us a 6-man o-line, which should be a huge help.

The easy answer is, you make roster spots by cutting guys that suck. Omiyale may be one of the worst performing Offensive Linemen I've ever seen. Shaffer and Beekman weren't a lot better. And Chris Williams is still somewhat of an unknown, but I hope, like you, that he'll be the starting LT for ten years.

I just happen to think it's was a more important need than anything else with the exception of FS.

Qasim Mitchell demands you take that back.