Bears Acquire S Chris Harris for LB Jamar Williams

sussnk

That's what I mean. I think Williams has potential to a better LB in the NFL than Harris will be safety.

Well, I'd agree with you there, but trading for a guy based on potential entails risk. Williams looked good coming out of college and has played well in very, very limited playing time, but he's not the sure thing that Chris Harris is. The Bears know what they're getting in this trade, but the Panthers don't, at least not entirely. They could come out with a better, younger player, or they might find out that Williams doesn't live up to his potential once he gets a starting job. If the former happens, people will say that Carolina won the trade; if the latter happens they'll say Chicago won, but nobody has the benefit of hindsight at the time. I think their value evens out when you look at it from that perspective: the Panthers are going the risk/reward route, while the Bears are getting the safer asset, a guy with a lower ceiling and a higher floor.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TerraTor
One other thing: Angelo's 2005 draft class isn't a total loss any more. When Orton went to Denver, he was the last guy from the 05 draft on the roster. Now we've got one of those picks back...I like that.

basically, we got a better SS than we have on our roster for a guy who shouldnt be on the field considering our LBs. Also, i like Nick Roach anyways. I see it as totally in our Favor.

It should also be mentioned that the additions of Wright and Harris brings leadership to a position that didn't have it last year. Afalava and Payne and rest did an admirable job last year, but you really need leaders back there who can stand back and get the defense in line. Ask any Panthers fan, and the thing they praise Harris for most is his leadership in the secondary, which is the same thing everyone's saying about Wright. I really like that aspect of the deal.

basically, we got a better SS than we have on our roster for a guy who shouldnt be on the field considering our LBs. Also, i like Nick Roach anyways. I see it as totally in our Favor.

Yeah, plus Williams was stuck behind the one guy in our linebacker corps who never misses time. And even if Briggs did go down, Tinoisamoa can play the Will and Sam spots about equally. We've still got pretty solid depth at linebacker, and Harris is immediately the best safety on the roster.

Bears | Chris Harris' contract restructured

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:47:35 -0400

The Chicago Bears have restructured the contract of SS Chris Harris, reports the National Football Post's Aaron Wilson. The restructured contract is a two-year deal worth as much as $3.5 million and includes a $500,000 roster bonus due March 2011, according to a source.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0mL07MBOI

Harris is also reunited with Peppers, which should help with team cohesion. I like the move and didn't like the initial trade to begin with. Harris has been above average in Carolina and one of the clubhouse leaders. Now if we can do the same on the OL we will be looking good.

great point! I didn't think of that...

Harris is also reunited with Peppers, which should help with team cohesion. I like the move and didn't like the initial trade to begin with. Harris has been above average in Carolina and one of the clubhouse leaders. Now if we can do the same on the OL we will be looking good.

Just read it a PFT. Jamar Williams traded to Panthers to bring Harris back. Interesting.

Nice pick up! Here's a few things I picked up from the SCORE:

1. While it seems like we're admitting failure in trading him, the pick we traded him for was Zac Bowman. We got a starting CB for him. Nice.

2. He's set to make 2.1 million but the Bears may restructure. I believe Williams was due to make 1.5 million?

3. Harris is durable only missing 4 games in the past 4 year and he's only 27

4. He's great at stripping the ball and is immediately the best safety on the roster

What I'm wanting to know:

1. Will he play FS or SS? What does this mean for Danieal Manning?

2. IMO we've really upgraded the defense. When the hell do we address the o-line?

1. So doesn't this mean we'll likely move D Manning back to FS??? Ugh.

2. We gave up a good young lb but we're getting a good safety. You've got to give something to get something.

3. The pick we received for Chris Harris was Zac Bowman. Nice.

4. When will we address the o-line.

1. So doesn't this mean we'll likely move D Manning back to FS??? Ugh.

God, I hope not. I'm hoping that, between a high draft pick who's proved he can't play the position and a less-high draft pick who's a promising rookie, they'll choose the rookie. Also, they moved Manning to SS (which was already a crowded house) earlier this offseason, despite having a total vacuum at FS. That tells me that they feel pretty certain he can't be a free safety.

I'm less worried that they'll move Manning back to free and more worried that they'll leave Manning on the strong side and try to get Harris to play free. That wouldn't be good either. But really, if Major Wright shows any kind of promise whatsoever, I have to think it'll be Wright at FS, Harris at SS, and Manning either playing the nickel/returning kicks or dealt to somebody else.

Great Move... Will give Wright leadership for his rookie season and moving Manning back to Nickle will improve the whole defense. Keep afalava and payne, Chuck Bullocks for another trade or release him outright and the bears have a deep secondary with players that can get turnovers and cover.

Let DJ Moore compete with manning at nickle and if the kid (moore) wins out trade him ( Manning) for OL help. Best scenario for the Bears yet.

God, I hope not. I'm hoping that, between a high draft pick who's proved he can't play the position and a less-high draft pick who's a promising rookie, they'll choose the rookie. Also, they moved Manning to SS (which was already a crowded house) earlier this offseason, despite having a total vacuum at FS. That tells me that they feel pretty certain he can't be a free safety.

I'm less worried that they'll move Manning back to free and more worried that they'll leave Manning on the strong side and try to get Harris to play free. That wouldn't be good either. But really, if Major Wright shows any kind of promise whatsoever, I have to think it'll be Wright at FS, Harris at SS, and Manning either playing the nickel/returning kicks or dealt to somebody else.

Based on previous events, here's what will happen:

1. We'll move Chris Harris to FS and move Major Wright to SS. On the eve of the season opener, both will be benched in favor of D Manning who will simultaneously play and suck at both spots.

2. Running out of the locker room on the season opener, Chris Harris will rupture both achilles ending his career. Williams will make the pro-bowl for Carolina.

I agree with you Defiant, starting with trading Chris Harris to Carolina, nothing we've done at the safety position has made sense.

I think this was an excellent deal. We had too many LB and one of them was going to get cut and it wasn't going to be Shaw who is likely our special teams leader this year. We traded away a player who might have been cut and filled a definite need position with a proven player who already knows our scheme.

We have some safeties that will lay the wood on you now. I've been wanting that since Harris/Brown combo'd. Harris, Wright, Afalava and Steltz are all hitters. Maybe they'll fuel each other as a unit. Glad to see Chris back, but only as a SS. I think it may be the end of the road for Bullocks and Manning.

I thionk we just see manning back at nickle & return

I hope so. He's good at both, and he's valuable in that role. I'm a little worried because he hasn't signed his tender yet, and the team might be thinking they can afford to let him walk. I mean, they could have Graham/Jennings compete for the nickel job and use Knox to return kicks. They could get by without Manning, but it'd hurt the depth at corner and take time away from Knox developing as a receiver.