Noots' Notes Game 14: 40-14 Win over Minnesota

Noots

BEST read on the net this morning

I'm going to mildly disagree about the offensive line. I thought they did OK and, as usual, they improved a lot as the game went on. But those defensive tackles did a pretty good job of shoving them around in the middle. The reason the Bears ran so well is because they ran off tackle and attacked the edges of the defense.

Bottom line I wasn't impressed with the interior of the offensive line.

Tom S.

I'm going to mildly disagree about the offensive line. I thought they did OK and, as usual, they improved a lot as the game went on. But those defensive tackles did a pretty good job of shoving them around in the middle. The reason the Bears ran so well is because they ran off tackle and attacked the edges of the defense.

Tom S.

I agree with you. Not terribly impressed, and the inside running was a direct reflection. There is a reason why Taylor had to battle a DLineman for the handoff on nearly every play he got the ball. Add in a few bonehead penalties, and one of the worst starts this season, and I it's still evident they are the weakest link on the team by far.

They did, however, play better than normal (i.e. tallest midget).

QUOTE (Tom Shannon @ Dec 21 2010, 08:57 AM)

--

I agree with you. Not terribly impressed, and the inside running was a direct reflection. There is a reason why Taylor had to battle a DLineman for the handoff on nearly every play he got the ball. Add in a few bonehead penalties, and one of the worst starts this season, and I it's still evident they are the weakest link on the team by far.

They did, however, play better than normal (i.e. tallest midget).

I generally agree. But I will say this in defense of both the offensive line and Noot. Penalties aside, the offensive tackles were generally pretty good and at one point I think it was John Gruden who noticed that they were basically running right behind J'Marcus Webb. Once that off-tackle ground game started going, everything got better offensively. They started using play action and everyone, especially the line, was more effective.

Its amazing how much things open up when you can run the ball. I loved every minute of it.

Tom S.

I generally agree. But I will say this in defense of both the offensive line and Noot. Penalties aside, the offensive tackles were generally pretty good and at one point I think it was John Gruden who noticed that they were basically running right behind J'Marcus Webb. Once that off-tackle ground game started going, everything got better offensively. They started using play action and everyone, especially the line, was more effective.

Its amazing how much things open up when you can run the ball. I loved every minute of it.

Tom S.

I think what Gruden was highlighting was the fact that the "team" was trying to help Webb build confidence by running behind him. Especially when Gruden made the comment they were within 5 (or so) yards of the end zone and what could have built the kid up more with a score off his protection? And yes I'll absolutely agree that running off the tackles, especially in this game, is where it worked best. Forte has always been a better runner offf the edge.

The thing with the line that I noticed was that the interior seems to be worsening (or staying idle) while the edges are improving. With that i am sad to say that Kreutz' days are numbered. He has had way too many penalties this year for his experience level, a byproduct of a declining skill set. Garza? Not sure his deal. And Williams... He's just simply out of position. Needs to go back to the LT spot.

The thing with the line that I noticed was that the interior seems to be worsening (or staying idle) while the edges are improving. With that i am sad to say that Kreutz' days are numbered. He has had way too many penalties this year for his experience level, a byproduct of a declining skill set. Garza? Not sure his deal. And Williams... He's just simply out of position. Needs to go back to the LT spot.

Yeah, the line still needs work. But I'll say this. They really could come together and be just good enough for the Bears to make a playoff run. It usually takes about half a season together to build cohesion as a unit and they're close to that.

Kruetz never could handle Pat Williams. He's still quite a handful even in his probable last year and he's a heck of a load to move.

Tom S.

I thought the penalty on Kreutz was pretty bad call. Didn't see him grab and pull anything, just a big ole' DT getting off balance and falling down as Kreutz pulled away from him. I don't understand you guys berating the Oline for not attacking the strength of their defense (their DTs) and running off tackle. To me that's good coaching and good execution by the players. No team is perfect and you have to play to your strengths and away from your opponents strengths. I recall the uproar when Turner ran Garrett Wolfe right up the middle of the Vikings defense years ago.

There is a reason the Vikings are the 6th ranked defense in yards per game. By the way Green Bay is ranked #1 in points per game defense. Even Detroit is ranked around 20th in pts and yards per game. Point is there are no pushover defenses in our division and 3 of the top ten defenses (including Da Bears) are in our division so there are no pushover games for our offense in this division.

All in all the offense has come around nicely. I don't think anyone feels they are a real threat like the Eagles are (I don't) but at this point you have to start respecting that we can do some things effectively on offense and each week it gets better, with the exception of the New England game. From an offense that was disastrous just 8 weeks ago this is a remarkable turnaround. You could just as easily see a team fall apart when you put together a few bad games like that. I give the entire coaching staff kudos for keeping the guys working together through all the challenges.

The arrow is pointing up for this offense and I think that will show up against the Jets blitzing schemes. Watch for Bennett and Olsen to have a big day next week on hot reads.

I thought the penalty on Kreutz was pretty bad call. Didn't see him grab and pull anything, just a big ole' DT getting off balance and falling down as Kreutz pulled away from him. I don't understand you guys berating the Oline for not attacking the strength of their defense (their DTs) and running off tackle.

I agreed with virtually everything you said. We're not "berating" them. Or at least I'm not. I'm pointing out the facts as I see them. I thought the tackles did reasonably well. I thought the interior line didn't. I thought Olin had trouble with Pat Williams the way that he always does. That's it.

Tom S.

I thought the penalty on Kreutz was pretty bad call. Didn't see him grab and pull anything, just a big ole' DT getting off balance and falling down as Kreutz pulled away from him. I don't understand you guys berating the Oline for not attacking the strength of their defense (their DTs) and running off tackle. To me that's good coaching and good execution by the players. No team is perfect and you have to play to your strengths and away from your opponents strengths. I recall the uproar when Turner ran Garrett Wolfe right up the middle of the Vikings defense.

The arrow is pointing up for this offense ...

Wasnt even close to "berating". Berating would be some of the replies you get when you ask some here about Coach Lovie (of who I am a fan). :)

Actually i would agree that the oline has improved overall. I was just noting some particulars about the line and specifically the interior. And, speaking of fans, I am one of Kreutz' too but watching him this year it has become apparent to me that he is simply nearing his shelf life. He has been a loyal and reliable Bear for a good number of years now and I hope, should he

choose to retire, this year the team has a great send off for him.

As far as Garza and Williams go I simply said that I didn't know what the deal with him (Garza) was. Seems he goes back and forth with his ability. Not consistent. And Williams needs to go back to his "natural" position. One- because like I said that was where he was drafted and two - because I can't stand Omiyale.

But for the remainder of the year it looks as though Tice has it figured out. I would think most of what ills the line would be resolved in the offseason. And yes I would agree, as a whole, that the "arrow" is in fact pointing in the upward trajectory.

Happy Holidays.

I've nver berated! Only debated! ;)

Cheers!

Have a great holiday season!

:cheers

Wasnt even close to "berating". Berating would be some of the replies you get when you ask some here about Coach Lovie (of who I am a fan). :)

Actually i would agree that the oline has improved overall. I was just noting some particulars about the line and specifically the interior. And, speaking of fans, I am one of Kreutz' too but watching him this year it has become apparent to me that he is simply nearing his shelf life. He has been a loyal and reliable Bear for a good number of years now and I hope, should he

choose to retire, this year the team has a great send off for him.

As far as Garza and Williams go I simply said that I didn't know what the deal with him (Garza) was. Seems he goes back and forth with his ability. Not consistent. And Williams needs to go back to his "natural" position. One- because like I said that was where he was drafted and two - because I can't stand Omiyale.

But for the remainder of the year it looks as though Tice has it figured out. I would think most of what ills the line would be resolved in the offseason. And yes I would agree, as a whole, that the "arrow" is in fact pointing in the upward trajectory.

Happy Holidays.