R.Reilly and Cutler article

Ed Hochuli 3:16

I personally don't care that Culter is an arrogant prick. I actually like that about him. He has a swagger and confidence that it seems nothing can shake. He shows his frustration with coaches (ever seen the look on his face when forced to call a pointless timeout when the play call is too slow?) and his fellow players. He expects people to do what they are supposed to do and lets them know when he is pissed that they didn't. I happen to like that about him. Besides, who cares if the media likes him? The only people that matter are the guys in the huddle with him, and they seem to be just as fine as I am with him being a world class media prick.

I think to much is being made about Cutler and the way he is. I totally agree with the fact that if he is arrogant and stiffs the media so be it. If Cutler goes out and performs as best that he is able to or may get frustrated when someone does not follow the game plan or play or that the coaches take forever in a day to call what they think is going to work then I am all for Cutler speaking his mind. He is supposed to be a franchise quarterback and as far as I know a franchise quarterback is not supposed to sit back and hope it all goes right. He is supposed to lead his team and let those who do not pull their weight to get their act together. I think at times Cutler attempts to much for what may be in front of him however, I like his effort and hope for the best. The last arrogant quarterback that we had, led us to a Super Bowl victory and people misunderstood him as well especially in the media.

I haven't seen Cutler be a prick to the media as much as I've seen the media be a prick to Cutler. I know he's aloof in his answers but so what. The writer is upset because Cutler refuses endorsements in Chicago. Really? Cutler has stated many times he won't do endorsements because he doesn't feel his performance on the field warrants it. He wants to focus his time on getting better on the field. That's immature? IMO doing the opposite and cultivating a fan club via twitter as some athletes do is immature.

I'm not saying Cutler is perfect but I don't see him saying he's perfect either.

I personally don't care that Culter is an arrogant prick. I actually like that about him. He has a swagger and confidence that it seems nothing can shake. He shows his frustration with coaches (ever seen the look on his face when forced to call a pointless timeout when the play call is too slow?) and his fellow players. He expects people to do what they are supposed to do and lets them know when he is pissed that they didn't. I happen to like that about him. Besides, who cares if the media likes him? The only people that matter are the guys in the huddle with him, and they seem to be just as fine as I am with him being a world class media prick.

I LIKE that Jay Cutler is an arrogant prick! I want more players like that on the team. I'm a firm believer that the off the field BS doesn't matter that much - which is why, until recently, I have always been a fan of bringing in TO or Moss.

As long as he can throw rockets downfield with minimal collateral damage, I'm ecstatic that I can call him the Chicago Bears' QB. Better than a revolving door of stiffs that included Shane "Rag Arm" Matthews, "Medicine Woman" Jonathan Quinn, the rotting corpses of Chris Chandler and Brian Griese, and an assortment of turds that didn't belong on an NFL field (e.g. Moses Moreno, Craig Krenzel, Henry Burris).

F Reily

Jay may be a dick. But, he's our pledge.

Only we can make fun of our pledges.

F Reily...again.

For one of those "rare" occasions I'll have to agree with MadLith that Reilly can go "F" himself.

Cutler may not be media savvy, but so what? Chicago loved Ditka possibly the least savvy of them all. Hell the guy threw gum at a spectator once. And during the ingerviews with the media you sometimes could count more "bleeps" than actual words. What about Kreutz? He broke his teammate's jaw once (Fred Miller) during an arguement, of all places, at a gun range. McMahon may have had "charisma" but is that how you describe a guy that moons a media helicopter during Super Bowl week? Or what about Urlacher who not only allegedly called Cutler a "pussy" but also openly challenged Hall of Famers

Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus? Not all that media savvy if you ask me.

But so what? What I see is a guy not all that comfortable in the limelight. I watched an interview he did recently with

Marshall Faulk. At the beginning Cutler seemed pretty aloof but after a bit he seems to warm up and become more engaging

with Faulk. Hence why his teammates, like Olsen, will come to defend him. They have had a chance to get to know him

better.

And don't confuse that aloofness with lack of passion. If anyone dare say Cutler doesnt care about how the Bears perform

then maybe you haven't seen some highlight films like when he starts to scramble and when, in a few instances, instead of

scrambling out of bounds or sliding Cutler instead jumps head first for the first down or stiff arms a defender? Or maybe they

missed the time he "heli-coptered" into the endzone over two defenders in one of the Detroit games last year?

So, Mr Reilly, that would be why we Chicago fans like our QB. I would have to take disagreement that the city of Chicago is not at his heck and call. He may not really want that limelight that so many others strive for. If you really want a QB that strives for attention like a child you need to look elsewhere for the next Brett Favre. We Chicago fans will keep our QB just the way he is and who he is. Thank you very much.

I LIKE that Jay Cutler is an arrogant prick! I want more players like that on the team. I'm a firm believer that the off the field BS doesn't matter that much - which is why, until recently, I have always been a fan of bringing in TO or Moss.

As long as he can throw rockets downfield with minimal collateral damage, I'm ecstatic that I can call him the Chicago Bears' QB. Better than a revolving door of stiffs that included Shane "Rag Arm" Matthews, "Medicine Woman" Jonathan Quinn, the rotting corpses of Chris Chandler and Brian Griese, and an assortment of turds that didn't belong on an NFL field (e.g. Moses Moreno, Craig Krenzel, Henry Burris).

Definitely agree with you on this! Although, I don't really think of Jay as a prick. Too bad the Chicago media and the media in general is horrendous and runs everything off of some ugly stereotype. They don't like him because he doesn't like doing interviews. Big deal.

Agreed.

And what an asshole for buying gifts for an entire ward of ill folks and he didn't want any publicity on it. Darn that horrible Cutler...

Ridiculous.

Deeds, not words.

I haven't seen Cutler be a prick to the media as much as I've seen the media be a prick to Cutler. I know he's aloof in his answers but so what. The writer is upset because Cutler refuses endorsements in Chicago. Really? Cutler has stated many times he won't do endorsements because he doesn't feel his performance on the field warrants it. He wants to focus his time on getting better on the field. That's immature? IMO doing the opposite and cultivating a fan club via twitter as some athletes do is immature.

I'm not saying Cutler is perfect but I don't see him saying he's perfect either.

I think Cutler might actually be a bit of a "prick", though maybe not quite the way we'd assume. Of course it does matter how you treat people in everyday situations, not just on the field. And I should point out that reporter specifically related tales of him alienating his own head coach, a teammate, and a legendary player from his franchise's past with his "you're not worth my time" schtick, not just the media. Having said that, and this is where I throw you a curveball, I actually find his lack of pretense refreshing. Jay is 100% real, and part of the reason everyone else seemingly has to play the game is because there aren't more guys like Jay who'll just refuse. Does he have a pesonality issues? Very likely, but I'm gonna worry about myself first. And I don't think Jay is a bad guy. Deep down, I don't even believe he's arrogant.

My 'pretend I know something about psychology' guess is that Jay's aloofness is a self-defense mechanism that stems from a lack of trust. Even if he sort of does think of himself as a dandy overall, there can still be some part of him with self-esteem issues that makes him subconciously not believe others would ever like him (people are complex and not entirely logical), and he's not going to give them any power over him by acknowledging to others or himself that that matters to him. Unfortunately for him, he's in a profession where people will love him one month and hate him the next, which means to some degree this attitude is necessary and is probably only being reinforced. I also wonder if he's not very different towards your "alpha" types than our more humble fellows.

He's certainly no born leader, but I think the more time he has in Chicago, the more the people/teammates who don't "get" him will stop making assumptions and start judging him on things of a more important nature than whether he always makes you feel good about yourself.