Postgame thoughts thread

Ed Hochuli 3:16

1. Knox played well on ST.

2. Podlesh wasn't great, and Gould missing that cheapy is a tad scary.

3. The OL was brutal, but I liked what I saw out of Spencer. granted it was vs Buffalo's second teamers. If he isn't the starting C by week 1, I'd be shocked (move Garza to OG, bench Louis, Spencer at C).

4. Enderle was decent, Chris Harris had a huge hit, and Adams played a nice game at WR. Not that I give a s***, but Fantuz didn't touch the field and Sanzenbacher didn't catch a pass.

5. I loved the way Barber ran. Okoye was a beast tonight as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also include Adams looked good in the slot

Bell is real NFL back

Barber is ideal back up for Forte

Unga needs another look

Gholston flashed tonight , want to see more

Garza excahnges were good

Overall line play was as expected , with the changes and hardly any practice it can only improve.

I had to listen to the game on the radio and watch a choppy streamed webcast while I was working. I've got the game recorded, I'm going to watch it tomorrow. But I've been saying all along that I think Spencer is going to be moved to guard in place of Chris Williams. I won't be shocked if they let Williams go before the season even starts.

He's just another in the long line of 1st round busts for us.

I had to listen to the game on the radio and watch a choppy streamed webcast while I was working. I've got the game recorded, I'm going to watch it tomorrow. But I've been saying all along that I think Spencer is going to be moved to guard in place of Chris Williams. I won't be shocked if they let Williams go before the season even starts.

I beg to differ...only a little. I too wasn't able to see (or hear for that matter) the game, only read some of the comments posted here. As far as the line goes I would be willing to bet it's Louis that's gone by camps end. Haven't heard much about him, especially positive. I can see them trying to get Spencer in at Center (since that is what he is familiar with) and Garza back to Guard. Although I did read somewhere that Cutler is actually preferring Garza at Center...guess we'll see. Last year, and I still believe this, I would be willing to bet that Williams finds his way back to Tackle. After all that is where he was drafted from and for. Still don't understand why they are keeping him at Guard. My thought last year was they were trying to work with him on his footwork and putting him at Guard gave him a chance to work on speed. Another reason I think Williams will stick around, BECAUSE he was a 1st round pick and that would be a smack in the face to let him go. (Remember you have three former HC's with the team and none of them would like egg in their faces). I know Olsen was a 1st rounder but he didn't fit the scheme and was able to garner a third round pick so they were able to cut their losses. With Williams (and especially since everyone thinks the Bears OL sucks) he wouldn't get that kind of payback.

I know I said a "little", my apologies.

EDIT: I also meant to include that I think (IMHO) that the Bears are still waiting for a quality Guard to come available. Or even entertain the idea of the likes of Leonard Davis.

I didn't realize that our next game is a MNF broadcast. Should be a fun one. Starters should play atleast a couple more series (Maybe a quarter) and we'll get another look at Okoye and the new Bears vaunt pass rush. I like what I saw from our defense. The offense was really terrible, to be quite honest. Atleast we had a running game. Reminded me alot of last year when Forte got it going late in the season and we just pounded the rock with him. If Martz calls anything other than a 3 step drop it's a definite sack. Webb looked terrible tonight. A Steriodless Merriman made him look like a fool for the most part out there. Carimi didn't impress either in the passing game. There really wasn't a single player on that starting line that made me feel confident. Spencer has to start and be the starter the rest of the way. He looked pretty solid out there, thank god. Didn't see much from Paea though. One thing is for sure, we are going to have a deep deep defensive line this season. Hope all our guys can stay healthy because we should be camping out at the quarterback alot this year.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2011/08/14/be...e-observations/

Major points:

Marion Barber with 45 yards on 7 carries was easily the most impressive Bear tonight. Barber looked great especially when he bounced to the outside, ran over a CB, and picked up 5 more yards. Every carry Barber receives, is one step closer to the Bears letting Chester Taylor go.

Undrafted free agent Kris Adams was the most impressive undrafted free agent. Adams hauled in a great 31 yard catch by from Nathan Enderle. He was the leading wide receiver for the game with 3 catches for 58 yards.

Undrafted free agent Dane Sanzenbacher was targeted deep on a post corner, beat the cornerback and was held. He drew a pass interference call on the play. Had he not been held, Sanzenbacher possibly could have scored a touchdown.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2011/08/14/be...e-observations/

Major points:

Marion Barber with 45 yards on 7 carries was easily the most impressive Bear tonight. Barber looked great especially when he bounced to the outside, ran over a CB, and picked up 5 more yards. Every carry Barber receives, is one step closer to the Bears letting Chester Taylor go.

Undrafted free agent Kris Adams was the most impressive undrafted free agent. Adams hauled in a great 31 yard catch by from Nathan Enderle. He was the leading wide receiver for the game with 3 catches for 58 yards.

Undrafted free agent Dane Sanzenbacher was targeted deep on a post corner, beat the cornerback and was held. He drew a pass interference call on the play. Had he not been held, Sanzenbacher possibly could have scored a touchdown.

Damn...you're here too homie? LOL, I just stumbled acrossed this board a few days ago.

I gotta see the video tomorrow....I also heard the Lewis looked like crap out there. They played him last season at RG and replaced him with Garza when they moved Garza to right. It's going to be interesting, especially seeing that the Bears will be playing the team that sacked the crap out of us last season, next week.

Damn...you're here too homie? LOL, I just stumbled acrossed this board a few days ago.

I gotta see the video tomorrow....I also heard the Lewis looked like crap out there. They played him last season at RG and replaced him with Garza when they moved Garza to right. It's going to be interesting, especially seeing that the Bears will be playing the team that sacked the crap out of us last season, next week.

Lance Louis admitted he played like garbage and J'Marcus Webb said that Merriman out hustled him. Note to young players: Don't speak after the game even if you're telling the truth.

Garza also got burnt my Merriman.

The first step should be benching Louis for Spencer. If we put Spencer at Center, Garza has to play RG (because of his missing knee ligament) and Chris Williams would move to LG. So you'd be changing 3 spots.

Lance Louis admitted he played like garbage and J'Marcus Webb said that Merriman out hustled him. Note to young players: Don't speak after the game even if you're telling the truth.

Garza also got burnt my Merriman.

The first step should be benching Louis for Spencer. If we put Spencer at Center, Garza has to play RG (because of his missing knee ligament) and Chris Williams would move to LG. So you'd be changing 3 spots.

I think Williams is the left guard. I think Spencer finds his way to center, and Garza one of the guard spots, and we pick up a vet to fill the other guard spot. We CAN NOT go into this season with the OL sucking. Okoye-Barber win win, and Gholsten didnt show anything.

I think Williams is the left guard. I think Spencer finds his way to center, and Garza one of the guard spots, and we pick up a vet to fill the other guard spot. We CAN NOT go into this season with the OL sucking. Okoye-Barber win win, and Gholsten didnt show anything

You're correct. Williams is the LG. As for going into the season with the offensive line not sucking, I think that's inevitable at this point. If we could "bad" instead of "real bad" it would certainly help.

After all the bad I've heard about Gholston, I was happy with what he did last night. On the one play he shoved the LT all the back into the quarterback. He set up the strip on special teams, and had a couple nice tackles. From what I saw last night, he makes the team.

Had you asked me pregame which o-line man would play horribly, I would've said Chris Williams because of the fact that he's been bad in training camp. However, he was the least of my worries yesterday. Webb didn't play well, and Garza and Louis were pretty bad.

It's been a while ladies and gents !

How is everyone ?

Last nights game had some bad moments as expected. But there were a lot of good things happening, either by individuals or groups.

We really can't be to quick to make harsh judgments on the first preseason game.

We all new that with the shorten camp, juggled positions and a rook who played the opposite position the Oline would struggle early and often.

Yes, many will argue that we may have a few subpar linemen but " when given lemons ... " Tice will have to work harder.

I can see us doing a lot of quick passes , screens, and a shit load of running plays next week against the Giants.

peace out

Webb, especially given his role, really scares me. It's only pre-season game one, but that OL performance certainly didn't quiet any critics.

Had you asked me pregame which o-line man would play horribly, I would've said Chris Williams because of the fact that he's been bad in training camp. However, he was the least of my worries yesterday. Webb didn't play well, and Garza and Louis were pretty bad.

Good analysis...

You may be giving Noots a run for his money!

I didn't realize that our next game is a MNF broadcast. Should be a fun one. Starters should play atleast a couple more series (Maybe a quarter) and we'll get another look at Okoye and the new Bears vaunt pass rush. I like what I saw from our defense. The offense was really terrible, to be quite honest. Atleast we had a running game. Reminded me alot of last year when Forte got it going late in the season and we just pounded the rock with him. If Martz calls anything other than a 3 step drop it's a definite sack. Webb looked terrible tonight. A Steriodless Merriman made him look like a fool for the most part out there. Carimi didn't impress either in the passing game. There really wasn't a single player on that starting line that made me feel confident. Spencer has to start and be the starter the rest of the way. He looked pretty solid out there, thank god. Didn't see much from Paea though. One thing is for sure, we are going to have a deep deep defensive line this season. Hope all our guys can stay healthy because we should be camping out at the quarterback alot this year.

:cheers

Cheers Grouchy! (Although I was hoping for a trademark image of something pleasant to view!)

How is everyone ?

Last nights game had some bad moments as expected. But there were a lot of good things happening, either by individuals or groups.

We really can't be to quick to make harsh judgments on the first preseason game.

We all new that with the shorten camp, juggled positions and a rook who played the opposite position the Oline would struggle early and often.

Yes, many will argue that we may have a few subpar linemen but " when given lemons ... " Tice will have to work harder.

I can see us doing a lot of quick passes , screens, and a shit load of running plays next week against the Giants.

peace out

How is everyone ?

peace out

Grouchy - Good to see you back. I really don't want to read your posts if you know what I mean - nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more. ;)

Peace :dabears

Well this is what I took from watching the game. I'll start with the WR group. We have a real battle on who is going to make the roster. Its a given that Williams, Hester, Bennett, and knox will make it and Hurd for his dual role on special teams, but its going to be a battle between K Adams and Sanzenbacher and whats up with Frantuz? As for the RB position its going to be a major war between Barber and Taylor for second string and another between Bell, Unga for third.........if you asked me i would go with Forte, Barber and Bell. With the TE we have five but only need three and those should be Clark,Davis and Spaeth. Now when you aske me to look at what we need on the like.......i say this to you we need HELP!!!!!!! But other than that i would put Spencer at center and move Garza back to right guard and leave Webb, Williams on the left and Garza and Carimi on the right side...... this way we will only have two guys that are in new positions rather than four.So this in turns makes them gel together, because we are going to have the TE help either Webb or Carimi in the passing game or both in two TE sets.

Now for the defense..we really dont have and option of being good with all the help we went out and got, but i see Peppers and Izzy starting with Wootton and Gholston as the #2"s and on the line i see Melton, Adama, Okoye and Toeaina & Paea fighting for a spot. I think Harrison gets cut. LB's we have the ones set in stone by numbers.....53, 54, 55.....then you have the battle between Thomas, Decicco, Iwuh, and the rest to make the second unit, but i think these are the six unless we get the guy from the Seahawks # 51. As we will be playing teams that like to throw the ball deep this year we need the back four to really show up this year. Starters will be Tillman, Jennings, Wright and Harris with Bowman, Graham, Conte and Steltz as the number two group. Now that leaves both of the Moore's D.J & Joshua in a battle for a spot with Jones and Bryan.

The QB will be of course Cutler, Hanie, and Enderle and the FB spot is open but I see Williams getting the nob if we keep a FB

Guest TerraTor
Webb, especially given his role, really scares me. It's only pre-season game one, but that OL performance certainly didn't quiet any critics.

Yes he is really the worst player considering. Overall Williams is the worst only because of draft status... Cant expect much from a 7th round OL..