Mike Martz - eat my ass

Guest TerraTor

Why is there not the option; piss poor offensive play calling!!!

They start the first series of the 2nd quarte rwith a few Barber runs up the middle the middle. Nothing like Forte can but punished anyone who tried to tackle him and he still gained 4 or more. Just when this team and the off. line needed to just straight run block they went back to piss ass off. play calling. Just as they did at the end of the half with the ball around the 40 and two a half mins to go!!!! They start getting cute instead of just running the ball with the knowledge they should of gained at the start of the quarter.

So why is the option not; piss poor offensive play calling?!?!

My post from bears web.

He can go at the end of the year. Promote Tice to OC and move on.

I hate his play calling sometimes. I really, really do.

Peace :dabears

Agreed. Martz calls are up and down, and when it's going well he throws in some $hit play that backfires. We need more consistancy and more use of the personnel's strengths.

I'm like 99% sure it was 2nd and 1, not 1st and goal.

I agree that was a dumb play call, especially with how well they were running. It was 2nd and an inch from Oakland's 6 with a timeout left. Run, get the 1st, use a TO, and have 3 plays from the 5 to the endzone. If that fails, they're up 10-9 going into the half.

However, that was a great play by Oakland. Also, Kellen Davis has to come to that ball and make a better attempt.

I'm just hesitant on firing Martz because then Cutler will have to learn another playbook and it seemed like he was really coming around in this offense.

I'm like 99% sure it was 2nd and 1, not 1st and goal.

I agree that was a dumb play call, especially with how well they were running. It was 2nd and an inch from Oakland's 6 with a timeout left. Run, get the 1st, use a TO, and have 3 plays from the 5 to the endzone. If that fails, they're up 10-9 going into the half.

However, that was a great play by Oakland. Also, Kellen Davis has to come to that ball and make a better attempt.

I'm just hesitant on firing Martz because then Cutler will have to learn another playbook and it seemed like he was really coming around in this offense.

Im up in the air too about firing Martz, look at all the QB's that are great right now most have had the same playbook for longer then 2 or 3 years. Take GB their timing is amazing, Rodger and all those WR's know the playbook like the back of their hands. The longer Cutler and these guys play under Martz the better and more comfortable everyone will get.

1. It was definitely 2nd and 1.

2. 2nd and 1 is tradtionally a down you can go for a shot. You get to take a chance at breaking the opponents' back. You do this because you are confident a first down can be made on 3rd down if the 2nd down play fails.

3. Kellen Davis didn't come back to the ball. Poor effort.

4. J'amarcus Webb COMPLETELY blew his assignment and didn't even flinch at the single Raider player in the area. Atrocious effort.

5. Hanie put a little too much under the pass. It floated up there for quite some time.

6. All but two guys on the Oakland D were going the other way with the misdirection. It's a good play call precisely because the running game was working pretty well.

7. If the one Oakland player, who Webb failed to block, isn't there, the play walks in for a TD.

The only item from above that is even remotely up for debate is number 7.

Some thoughts from Ditka and apparently Curry knew the play was coming:

"I was disappointed in the play call at the goal line," Ditka said Monday on "Mike & Mike In The Morning" on ESPN Radio. "There's no question about it. The throw back, it wasn't a very well designed play. Nobody left the tight end. The tight end tried to sneak out, they threw it back to him. It was intercepted.

"That changed the whole tempo of the football game. Then again, if you don't have enough confidence to believe you can pound it in from that yard line, then you have to look at the play being called. That's all."

Curry wasn't fooled by the play. In fact, he was expecting it.

"I'll never forget seeing it on film and saying, 'That's their go-to play. If they need these points, that's their play,'" he told reporters Sunday, according to a story on the San Francisco Chronicle website. "Then I saw the formation on the field and I was like, 'This is easy, I'm just going to wait for them to throw it to me.'"

From: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...-call-goal-line

It was a terrible play call. Noots said it best in his recap:

"That play works against overpursuit, both horizontally and vertically. When you’re that deep up against the opposing goal, there is no vertical overpursuit. So, the lobbed throwback hangs up in the air for any defender on the left half of the field to steal."

1. It was definitely 2nd and 1.

2. 2nd and 1 is tradtionally a down you can go for a shot. You get to take a chance at breaking the opponents' back. You do this because you are confident a first down can be made on 3rd down if the 2nd down play fails.

3. Kellen Davis didn't come back to the ball. Poor effort.

4. J'amarcus Webb COMPLETELY blew his assignment and didn't even flinch at the single Raider player in the area. Atrocious effort.

5. Hanie put a little too much under the pass. It floated up there for quite some time.

6. All but two guys on the Oakland D were going the other way with the misdirection. It's a good play call precisely because the running game was working pretty well.

7. If the one Oakland player, who Webb failed to block, isn't there, the play walks in for a TD.

The only item from above that is even remotely up for debate is number 7.

Jason, despite having the same name, we rarely agree. In this instance, I fully agree with you. In fact, I'll go as far as saying as of now, I'm on board with giving Martz an extension. The key is ensuring that Martz stays within the offense. While the play wasn't effective, the idea was fine and it is the QB's responsibility to throw that ball away or go to a secondary option when the play isn't there (which in this case it wasn't).

If you want to gripe, gripe about our play-calling early in the game when we tried to surprise the Raiders by passing. However, I think the idea was good and showed faith in Hanie. It ended up back-firing as Hanie threw some terrible interceptions but the concept was fine. Heck, as a whole, I felt better about our chances after barely losing to Oakland (who is a good team) despite three interceptions, two of which came in areas of the field where we had a good to great chance of scoring (1 was thrown inside the Redzone, the other in Raider territory and of course the 3rd was practically in our own red-zone). Ultimately all three picks led to point swings.

The Bears will limit Hanie a bit more this week and that is fine but I expect our QB to grow as a result of his first start. He'll get to have a 2nd full week of practice but more importantly watch the game film to see what he did well and what he didn't and I expect we'll see less terrible passes/picks in time (hopefully soon too cause the Bears obviously have a slim margin and must win this game).

Oh and I will say, Martz has called some absolutely beautiful plays at times this year too. The creativity is fantastic but the execution isn't always their and sometimes the creativity isn't needed but as a whole, the offense that has been called the past few weeks has been really good. I also really don't want to keep giving Cutler a new system. Half of the reason he's finally starting to make strides is that he's getting a 2nd year in a system (and he's getting more time).

Cutler with a good system and solid line and weapons a top 5 QB in this league. Hell, I know a lot of experts saying he was playing at a top 3 level when he went down. He was that good (despite some severe offensive limitations our squad has).

Thanks for culling that info...

I think it was a bad play call.

"I was disappointed in the play call at the goal line," Ditka said Monday on "Mike & Mike In The Morning" on ESPN Radio. "There's no question about it. The throw back, it wasn't a very well designed play. Nobody left the tight end. The tight end tried to sneak out, they threw it back to him. It was intercepted.

"That changed the whole tempo of the football game. Then again, if you don't have enough confidence to believe you can pound it in from that yard line, then you have to look at the play being called. That's all."

"I'll never forget seeing it on film and saying, 'That's their go-to play. If they need these points, that's their play,'" he told reporters Sunday, according to a story on the San Francisco Chronicle website. "Then I saw the formation on the field and I was like, 'This is easy, I'm just going to wait for them to throw it to me.'"

"That play works against overpursuit, both horizontally and vertically. When you’re that deep up against the opposing goal, there is no vertical overpursuit. So, the lobbed throwback hangs up in the air for any defender on the left half of the field to steal."

Guest TerraTor

When did we ever run that play? I dont recall ever seeing it

The TE throwback screen that got picked off, setting of a six point swing that was the difference in the game.

I think he means before the Oakland game.

To answer him, I know they ran it this year, and I'm 95% sure it was against Atlanta. Remember when Cutler overthrew Davis when he was wide open?

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ChalkTalk...p?story_id=8405

Why did the Bears run the play at the end of the first half that required Caleb Hanie to roll out to the right and throw back across the field on second-and-one at the Oakland 7 when they had been running the ball effectively?

Brian C.

Indianapolis, Indiana

The funny thing is that when the play was first called at a similar spot on the field in the season opener against the Falcons, offensive coordinator Mike Martz was lauded for designing such an effective screen. (Kellen Davis was wide open versus Atlanta, but Jay Cutler sailed the ball well over his head and it fell incomplete.) Lovie Smith defended the call when asked about it both after Sunday’s game in Oakland and again Monday at Halas Hall. He said Sunday that “we’re trying to win games” and “every time a play doesn’t work you can [be critical of it], but it happens like that sometimes. You need to be able to rally from it.” Smith reiterated Monday that he didn’t think the play call was too risky, saying: “Of course you’re going to get criticized when something doesn’t work. But next time it will. You’d have to say it was a great play by their guy to tip the ball.”

Also, I love Ditka, but I don't know what he's talking about. The defense absolutely left the play. There was over a 5-yard gap between Davis and the Raiders' defender who tipped the pass, and just about everyone else on defense was following the run-fake. The defensive player just happened to read the play quickly and break even faster. However, he needs to rewatch film if he honestly thinks nobody left the play.

I think he means before the Oakland game.

To answer him, I know they ran it this year, and I'm 95% sure it was against Atlanta. Remember when Cutler overthrew Davis when he was wide open?

Week 1 & Jay overthrew the TE, thought it was Spaeth on that occasion though

Here is the play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d824...-help-for-Hanie

The back side LB doesn't go for the run fake and is downhill before the ball is thrown.

Some have said that Webb missed the block, but the LB is by him by the time he gets off his initial block and goes to block him.

Bad call, bad play which resulted in a six point swing and we lost by five. Bottom line.